Throwing Snowballs at the Moon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hi Ellie!" I said as I spun on my heel to face her. "No, Bonnie went to that great scrape heap in the sky many years ago. Anyway, long time no see, how have you been keeping?"

I know, I know. A stupid and predictable sort of statement! But what else was I supposed to say to the woman?

I couldn't very well say, what I was thinking. "Shit babe, you're looking effing gorgeous!" Now, could I? Although I have to admit that that was what I was thinking.

"Not too well Sparkie, you've obviously heard about what my husband did."

"And you've definitely heard about what my wife did to me, so you could say we're on a level playing field, Ellie. Now, are we going to stand here and commiserate with each other or, wouldn't it be far better if we both forgot the buggers ever existed?"

"How do you do that? You've always been able to push your troubles behind you."

"What's happened, has happened, Ellie. There's not much point in crying over spilt milk, is there? I try to put the past behind me and do my best to forget all the nasty things that happen in life."

"What about the good things?"

"Ah now, that's what you have to remember Ellie, the good times. Gloria and I did have some real good times together, you know."

"And the good times that we had together on Bonnie, and in the back of my little Viva?"

I smiled. "Very good times Ellie, all filed away for easy reference when I'm feeling down. However, I can't forget that someone else forgot about them and moved on."

Ellie looked serious for a moment.

"No she didn't Sparkie. Unfortunately she heard all kinds of stories about alternative girls riding on the back of Bonnie."

"I can assure you that none did. Well, not until it was obvious that someone had forgotten I existed, anyway."

"That wasn't the story I got!"

"Then you listened to the wrong storytellers Ellie. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'd better get back to my... Vernia, I am supposed to be her escort this evening."

After the pleasure of seeing Ellie for the first time in many years, I'd become a little annoyed that she was accusing me of ditching her. I'd always seen it the opposite way around.

"May I come with you? I don't like being at these functions alone."

"Providing that you remember that my name is Graham Sparks nowadays, of course you can."

"Sorry, of course, Mr Graham Sparks, accounts department manager, and I'm told, a very good one as well."

Somehow Ellie managed to slip her arm into mine as we made our way back to where I'd left Vernia and her parents. I'll be honest I didn't notice until I spotted a couple of people staring at us. Remember they were confused enough when I'd walked into the party with Vernia on my arm; a young lady whose upcoming nuptials to Tony had so recently been very publicly announced.

Mind you, Ellie didn't stop talking during the short journey. Ellie kept wittering on about the people we used to know, and places we went together. And, I might add, a couple of places we regularly parked in that Vauxhall Viva of hers.

Vernia greeted us with a big grin. "Hey guys, they're dancing in the other room; shall we join them?"

"That'll be great!" Ellie replied before I got the chance to do so myself.

The next thing I know I've got Ellie on one arm and Vernia on the other and I'm being railroaded into another room where a small combo was playing.

"You first, he's your escort for the evening." Ellie said to Vernia as she disengaged herself from me and took my drink."

"Don't I get a say in this?" I asked.

"No!" the two women said in unison.

"He hates formal dancing." Ellie commented to Vernia.

"Oh he's better than he used to be, I can assure you!" Vernia replied.

"How would you know?" I demanded, just to say something to prove I was still capable of speaking for myself, I think.

"Ingrid and Agda told me that you were tripping the light fantastic in Stockholm."

"I need to fire those girls, they talk too much." I replied as Vernia steered me onto the dance floor.

"Oh let me know if you do, I could do with a really good nanny for my girls!" I heard Ellie giggle as we moved out of earshot.

"And just what are you playing at?" I asked Vernia as she finally moved into my arms to dance.

"I'm just trying to show everybody what a good dancer you've become."

"Cut it out; you know what I mean!"

"Okay Ellie was looking... I don't know, you two were chatting away two to the dozen and the suddenly she didn't look as happy as I expected her too. I thought she'd probably put her foot in it and needed a break before round two."

"What the hell are you wittering on about, now?"

"Look Graham, as you have so rightly said so many times. I have no idea what went wrong between you and Canella. But I do know that she wishes that it hadn't, and I believe that in your heart, you wish that it hadn't as well.

"She's been falling all over to herself to help you. And even her mother, who you have always described as a complete harridan, is saying the nicest things about you. Christ, you've got to at least give Canella a chance!"

"I have?"

"Yes, you bloody-well have."

The conversation went on in a similar vein all through the dance. Well, that's if you can call it a dance Vernia and I weren't so much dancing, as arguing whilst moving in ever decreasing circles.

----------TWT----------

"Here you go, your turn. Don't take any stick from the old sod Canella, he can be a miserable old bugger when he wants to be." Vernia said to Ellie as she handed me over to her care.

I'll add that I had noticed that several young men had walked up to Ellie while Vernia and I had been dancing. I can only assume that they asked her to dance and that she'd refused requests. I had to take that as a compliment, whether I liked the idea or not.

I managed a quick swig of whatever was in that glass, before Vernia took it from me and Ellie dragged back out onto the dance floor.

Very quickly I realised that Ellie was extremely nervous, her verbal diarrhoea started up again the moment we were out of Vernia's earshot.

"Ellie, relax please. Whatever went wrong all those years ago, I'm sure it wasn't of either your or my making. We were young and these things happen; let's let bygones remain bygones shall we. Now, tell me about your children?"

For the rest of the evening whether we were dancing or not dancing -- I was going alternative dances with both girls -- that's what we did. Talked about our children and how we were coping with them on our own. Only, I wasn't exactly coping on my own, as you full well know.

Quite remarkably, our children were almost exactly the same ages, and all girls. I gathered that Ellie's mother was around most days to offer moral support. That's when she wasn't tied up with one or the other of her charities.

Ellie complained that it was the loneliness at night that she hated the most. I agreed, but she promptly challenged me that I had Ingrid and Agda living there, to keep me company in the evenings.

I think, Ellie was referring to a different part of the nights than I was. Like most men, my mind was on having no one to snugly-up-with me in bed. I let that point slide after that.

Anyway from those words, I gathered Ellie knew all about my house keeping arrangements. I kinda wondered exactly how much more she knew. A lot I imagined; I was sure that she'd seen that Thomas's report. I chose not to thank her for persuading her father to okay the cost of that report at that time; I figured we'd leave doing that until some other -- more private -- occasion.

Vernia and I had planned to leave about half past midnight, well that was the time we'd arranged for Tony to pick us up. We were getting our coats on when one of Jack Goldberg's flunkies came looking for us with the message that Tony had broken down and that we'd do best to call a taxi.

But Ellie wouldn't hear of us doing that, she told us she was about to leave herself and that she'd dive us home. I politely tried to refuse, I didn't want to be accused of dragging her away from her parent's party.

"You were never scared of my driving before Graham, so why are you now?" Ellie grinned. "Besides I have to get back to the children, I've only got a young neighbours daughter watching them. Good babysitters are few and far between out where I live."

However the urgency of Ellie getting home to her children seemed to wane as soon as we got into her car. First she drove to where Tony had broken down, arriving there at almost the same moment as the recovery vehicle. Then she drove us to Vernia's parent's house where I assume Tony stayed over. Then eventually about two AM we arrived outside my house.

For some inexplicable reason I found myself inviting Ellie in to meet Ingrid and Agda, who both looked out through the lounge window as we pulled-up. Ellie refused, saying that she really did have to get home to her children, but she'd take a rain cheque on that one because she really did want to meet the two young ladies that Vernia had kept raving on about.

----------TWT----------

Two evenings later I arrived home from the office to find Ellie's car parked in my drive and Gloria's parked in the street. I was expecting Gloria to be there that evening, but not Ellie and her two children.

Actually it was quite a giggle when I stuck my head into the lounge. Pamela was far more interested in her new friend Simone (Ellie's eldest) than she was in her mother's presence. And although Debra was sitting -- or being held -- on her mothers lap, her interest was on the little stranger who Ingrid was cuddling.

Agda and Ellie were in the kitchen making some tea when I walked in the door.

"I'm sorry Graham. It looks like I picked a bad day to call?" Ellie said, with a smile and a wink, when she saw me standing there.

All I got out in reply was, "Don't' worry about it Ellie." Before I realised that Agda was making all kinds of strange faces and gesturing with her head toward the lounge door, where Ingrid, Gloria and the children were. I could make no sense of the pantomime she was performing and obviously showed the fact in my face. Eventually Agda pulled me inside the kitchen, closed the door and grinned at me.

"Mrs Sparks does not know who Miss Ella is. She tries to ask us, and not ask, at the same time. It has been very funny to watch! We have not explained as we should."

I gathered that I'd missed out on some fun. Ellie had -- by chance (?) -- found herself in my part of town and had popped in on the off-chance that I'd be home. She'd introduced herself to Ingrid and Agda, and then brought her children in to meet mine. Some kind of an excuse like that anyway.

But then Gloria had showed-up and the three women had conspired to play a game with her. They fluffed around exactly who Ellie was, purposely not mentioning her surname, Goldberg. Ellie had returned to using her maiden name for obvious reasons. When Gloria had eventually come out and asked her straight, Ellie had told that she was an old and very close friend of mine.

From what they said, Gloria had been taken aback by that statement and had kept trying to discover where Ellie and I had met, and for exactly how long we'd known each other. None of the three conspirators would give her a straight answer to either question. Even though Gloria kept suggesting different places where we might have met.

I know that morally it was wrong, but I let the game continue after we took the tea and coffee Agda and Ellie had made into the lounge.

I have no idea why Gloria was so upset about Ellie or her presence at the house, but she definitely was. And I found myself revelling in her frustrated curiosity.

Glory couldn't have really believed that there was any chance of us reconciling after the way she'd behaved. Perhaps she didn't like the idea that I might find someone else to share my life with. Whatever, it was a fun experience whilst it lasted.

To be honest -- at the time -- I really didn't think that there was any prospect of a romantic relationship between Ellie and myself. Even if Vernia thought that there was. I'd been hooked on the woman once and I'd got bitten. A friend, yes, and even maybe a close friend. But romance? I really didn't think that was on the cards.

Ellie got up to leave first. Actually I think Gloria out-waited her, Gloria didn't usually hang around for as long as she did that day.

As I saw Ellie and her children to her car, she asked me if I was doing anything for dinner on the following evening.

"Babysitting. Ingrid and Agda have a double date tomorrow night. They believe in the safety of numbers rule."

"I'm not surprised with you around!" Ellie grinned back at me. "I'm sure I'd have kept my virginity a lot longer if we'd only ever gone on double dates. Anyway, that's no problem, bring the children over for a meal as well."

"Debra has to go down very early Ellie."

"So does Michelle. We can put Debra in a travelling cot I have for her. And if it gets too late Pamela can bed down with Simone. They appear to have taken to each other."

"Um well."

"Oh don't panic, I'm not intending to jump your bones. I've got plenty of spare beds... and bedrooms in the house. I just don't like being on my own every night, it would be nice just to sit and talk about old times together. And maybe even properly clear the air about some unfortunate misunderstandings. Ooh we have an audience, let's put on a show for her."

"Do what?" I was about to say, when Ellie planted a kiss on my cheek before sliding into the drivers seat of her car and closing the door.

"Gloria is glaring at us out of your lounge window Graham, lean in and give me a kiss before I go."

"But what about..."

"Christ, don't look so bewildered lover. Now smile and kiss me and I'll call you at the office tomorrow.

I did as requested, then Ellie raced away tooting the car horn.

Gloria was preparing to leave herself as I re-entered the house.

"Who is that woman?" she demanded as I saw her to the door.

"Just an old friend." I grinned at her.

"How old a friend, just how long have you known her, and who was that little tart you were at the court with? The Veronica girl!"

"Vernia actually Gloria, and she's not a little tart. I think you must have mistaken her for yourself. Vernia is a work colleague and a very good friend, who's been very supportive and helpful to me over the last few months. She getting married in a few weeks and your eldest daughter is going to be one of her bridesmaids. Debra is a little young to know what's going on, but she'll be dressed for the part anyway."

"Humph!" Was Gloria's reply to that, followed by, "Well, who's that Ellie woman then, and how well do you know her?"

"Gloria, I know Ellie far better than I've ever known you!"

"What's that supposed to imply?"

"That I knew Ellie, in the biblical sense of the word, well before I bedded you for the first time. Now goodnight Gloria, I've got things I need to do this evening." I replied all-but pushing her out the door.

----------TWT----------

"You told her!" Ingrid said.

"Yeah I couldn't see any reason not to. Gloria and Ellie were around at the same time, eventually one of Gloria's girlfriends will put two and two together, if she doesn't herself."

"No, I mean about Vernia."

"I don't understand, why shouldn't I tell her about Vernia?"

Both Ingrid and Agda were suddenly looking very sheepish.

"What's been going on? What have you two been telling Gloria?" I demanded.

"We didn't tell her anything, it was Pamela!" Ingrid blurted out.

"What the hell could a four-year-old tell Gloria?"

"Not much, but when Gloria asked her... Well eventually she said that Vernia was your girlfriend."

"Oops!" I grinned back at the girls. "And you didn't think to correct that misinterpretation of the facts?"

"Well no, not really!" Ingrid grinned, "My mother used to hate it when my father went out with other ladies. We thought Gloria's own dirty mind, deserved to think what it made of the situation."

"Oh dear, I understand you now. But didn't Pamela ever mention that Tony babysat them with Vernia sometimes, when I take you two out.

"Vernia's brother!" Agda added with a smile.

"That was very wicked of you girls; I couldn't have done better myself! And now Gloria is trying to figure-out where Ellie fits into the equation. Pity I told her that Vernia is getting married next month."

"Why? You didn't tell who she was getting married too, did you?" Ingrid grinned, "Of course we could hint. She's bound to ask us."

"Don't you dare, my life is complicated enough. And besides, the poor woman is frustrated enough trying to figure out who Ellie is for the time being."

----------TWT----------

I was out of my office when Ellie called the following morning. I returned to find Vernia sitting at my desk talking to her on the telephone.

We'd decided to share an office a few weeks before, it was more convenient when I had to leave early because of something to do with the children, and/or attend court.

"No don't worry I've spoken to the girls, they will pack everything the children need. They're very good you know." Vernia was saying, as she waved for me to pour her out some coffee from the jug we now kept on the go in the office.

"Look Canella, I'm sure one of them would be only to pleased come over with Graham and mind the children if the two of you want to go somewhere one evening. And if they can't for any reason, Tony and I could always baby-sit for you, if we have nothing else on."

Vernia grinned up at me, as I placed her coffee on my desk.

"Ooh, he's giving me dirty looks for arranging his social life again."

Ellie must have said something that made Vernia laugh.

"What did she say?" I demanded, when Vernia stopped laughing to catch her breath.

"We're talking about you lover, not to you!" she grinned at me, and then to Ellie, "Oops, I think our man's getting a little upset with me. I'd better let him talk to you."

Vernia handed me the handset.

"Hello Ellie?"

"Hi Sparkie, you all set for this evening?"

"Looks to me, like everything's been planned behind my back."

"Not on purpose Graham. You sounded a tad reticent last evening, so I invited Vernia and her boyfriend round as well. But apparently they are riding shotgun over Ingrid and Agda tonight, so they can't come."

"That's news to me." I replied.

"I'm sure you don't know half of what goes on Graham. Anyway I'll expect you and the children about half-five shall I?"

"Hold up Ellie. We have a managers meeting here every Friday afternoon. I'm not sure we can get there that early."

"You forget that I know how the company works, Graham. Vernia will tell you that the meeting has been brought forward because my father suddenly has somewhere very important that he has to be early this evening."

"You didn't ask him to move the meeting up just so that I could..."

"Privilege of going to dinner at the boss's daughter house, Graham. But don't worry, daddy will not let on why he's moved the meeting up. He can be very discrete when he chooses to be. And as you might guess, he approves of us being friends nowadays. By the way, so does mummy!"

I looked across at Vernia, as I said. "Am I being railroaded?"

"No, no. I told you the other day, I'd just like us to be friends." Ellie replied hurriedly, as Vernia frantically shook her head.

"Okay, I'll try to be there by five-thirty, providing you tell me where you actually live."

"Vernia has the directions, and the address. See you tonight Sparkie!"

"Graham!" I said and the line went dead. But just before it did so, I heard a distinct giggle.

"Just how long had you been talking to Ellie before I got back?" I demanded of Vernia.

"Long enough, and Ingrid called earlier and filled me in on last night."

1...345678