All Comments on 'Tips for Getting Comments'

by silkstockingslover

Sort by:
  • 88 Comments
36FF_Tiki36FF_Tiki6 months ago
Very informative

You made a lot of useful suggestions that I hadn't even thought about. The question at the end is especially insightful. And the title. I usually try to make the title simple. Give them an idea of what they are getting without going into too much depth. I see that a longer title with a little more content info might help steer more people to my stories. Thanks for this, I will definitely take what you said into consideration for my own stories going forward.

appyBappyB6 months ago

I for one love your work that I've read. As a reader I tend to stick to categories that "float my boat" so maybe I'm missing out on some great writing? I need to think about that. I always vote when I've read a story or chapter, but whilst I have often commented, reading a long series in the past I've tended not to comment until the last instalment. I'll comment more after reading this. Thank you.

HottieOlwenHottieOlwen6 months ago

What a wonderful, insightful instruction manual! As an author here, I try to comment on everything I read, because I know how much time and effort go into creating a story. I love your work, Jasmine, and find the storylines and characters that you create to be both interesting and stimulating. Thank you for taking the time to write this very helpful essay. I look forward to your next story with eager anticipation.

OffRoadDieselOffRoadDiesel6 months ago

Interesting analysis. I do leave occasional comments but if another reader has commented similiar to what Iā€™d write, I donā€™t bother. I wish we could up- or down-vote comments.

I think Iā€™m leaning towards publishing my next story in chapters, long enough to keep the reader engaged but not too long to turn them off. Time will tell.

Thanks for the insights.

froggytreefroggytree6 months ago

I make sure I vote on every story I read, but don't really comment a whole lot. My favorite series of yours was the "What Mom doesn't know" series.

RWessonRWesson6 months ago

Interesting, I get my higher comment to reader numbers (even in one story, Clinic Case Files 2, (techinically it's a Fetish story, though it could also be in Loving Wives or Voyuer) that's only ever had a single comment, as it's only had 6500 readers!) but I can't seem to get readers (my most read story, and my second to the least favorite, Finding, in Loving Wives, only has 78K, but does have 100 comments. OTOH, D.R.T. (Loving Wives, but could also have been Non-Erotic) and Into Dust (Incest, but theoretically could have been Loving Wives, though I'd never expect to see it there) are my two highest rated are kind of opposites. D.R.T. gets a vote about every 18,9 readers (1900 votes, 35.1K readers, 139 comments) while Into Dust only got 17,4K readers but got 212 votes (about one in 82) but only 9 comments.

And then there's Butter Pecan (Loving Wives) which is my most favorites (and personally one of my own favorites, one of my personnal top five), It's also the second longest, and garnered, BY FAR, the most emails. But yet it's only ever had 65K readers, 123 Favorites, 3.1K votes, and 244 comments (though I admit, I think people favorite some of my longer stories as "book marks" while reading them based on the fact they'll be favorites by a person multiple times, even on multiple days)

None of my stories, even one I invite the readers with comments, seems to get more readers than some other writers mid-tier stories, even as I get engagement at what seems, based on what they've told me, to be higher rates.

One thing I do that you mentioned is make sure the tags are used, but I don't "Spam" (not a bad thing in this case) the tags the way you suggest (i.e., multiple different but identical meaning tags) which seems a good way to help readers find your stories later; they don't need to be quite as precise, I'll definitely think about that for some key tags, since I've had issues refinding stories because the Tags can sometimes be persnickity when you just remember parts of the story you want to reread.

Thanks for the tips, Jasmine.

Voting for my stories tends to be somewhere around 1 in 75 on average

rocky9993rocky99936 months ago

I always vote, and only comment when something triggers me. Keep up your good work!!

NewEroticaWriterNewEroticaWriter6 months ago

Thanks for the analysis! I have a better understanding now. I have seven stories posted and tried to make heads or tails from the analytics. One thing I would add to your list. ASK for commentsā€¦ change that to BEG for comments, lol.

Thanks Again!

Rose Monroe šŸŒ¹

BethanyBDSMBethanyBDSM6 months ago

Jasmine, It's currently NOV 2023 (hehehehehehe)

I thought about commenting without voting to increase your "comment to vote" stats but couldn't do it.

Seriously though, thanks for the insight on votes / comments. I try to keep my stories in the 4,000 to 8,000 word range so people can finish before they finish. (so to speak)

I enjoy many of your stories and look forward to reading more!

Thanks for sharing,

Bethany

Tcs1956Tcs19566 months ago

Thank you for your suggestions! I canā€™t tell any difference in comments or votes except that long stories donā€™t receive much of either.

I canā€™t ask for alternative endings because all my stories are factual. I relay my personal experiences to the readers.

I have always been a perverted bisexual cuckold since early sexual development. My dick is truly tiny and I draw from personal experiences in that area as well. I cannot truthfully write some stories because of Litā€™s age restrictions. Most of the time I can cheat around that and still keep most of the story factual.

But my greatest asset is to have so very many actual events to draw from! I have been married 5 times, including currently, and at one point or another in all those relationships, my spouse has had strong Hotwife tendencies! In other words, I tend to attract beautiful, dominant, sexually promiscuous women!

Voting has been mostly in the 4ā€™s, bordering on the elusive ā€œHOTā€.

I sometimes ask for comments and votes, but it doesnā€™t seem to matter much.

Sometimes I email the commenters who leave flattering comments and have had some sexually gratifying email exchanges with them!

I write to record my memories before I get too old to remember them. I write because I get off on the flagrant personal exhibition of it! I almost always cum a few times while writing my stories. I simply LOVE telling others about my personal experiences. I hope you enjoy my stories.

gunmakergunmaker6 months ago

I tend to vote on every story. If I am really turned off by it or don't finish it (usually because of lack of interest) I don't vote. I comment when I feel I have something to share or add. FWIW, you are one of my favorite authors but it's a good thing your prolific. Well over half of your stories don't interest me.

roseyfingersroseyfingers6 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts and tips.

I have written a number of stories which get generally high scores, but get relatively few readers and fewer comments. If illustrated and incest is the way to get readers and comments, it is not going to happen for me because I can't do art and have no interest in incest. A lot of my stories, though, raise controversial themes regarding power, sex roles, human nature, and submissive feminism and I have been hoping to promote more discussion than has occurred. I may try some of your ideas with the remaining chapters of what will probably be my last story.

grizzley123grizzley1236 months ago

Comments are tricky. I tend to look at favorites more. But I do enjoy comments and especially when people email (I respond to 90% of non- anonymous emails).

I look at favorites per read as the best measure of whether my story hit home with readers. Rating alone is difficult in the cuckold category, which is where I write most, because there is a persistent crew of haters related to that theme.

My ā€œbestā€ stories garner 1 favorite per 500 or less views. Numerous of those are rated under 4.0.

But of course my real best stories are the ones I liked writing. I enjoy your writing and have marked numerous of your stories as favorites. Keep up the great work!

gingerEllenPgingerEllenP6 months ago

Thanks for all the data! :) As an author, for me, I write to work things out in my own head. I hope folks like my stuff but I'm not living and dying on it. Like everyone else, I suspect, I'm not a fan of the nit-picky critic. But I do appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE critique. And, of course, all the love!

Keep writing and inspiring; love your stuff, Jasmine <3

-Ellen

LisajonesjnrLisajonesjnr6 months ago

I look forward to all your new stories and have read many of your stories over and over again. Apologies for not leaving enough. Love your great work

InsomniZachInsomniZach6 months ago

This is a really interesting look at something I'm sure most readers have never thought of. I'm curious, generally speaking, would you rather have a story be rated 4.85 and read 700,000 times with 150 comments, or a story rated 4.55 read 1.2 million times with 300 comments? Is there a specific metric you value above the rest?

Mynt_ElevenMynt_Eleven6 months ago

This is solid advice, even if it feels a little boastful. I have followed your writing for years and seeing the numbers is jaw-dropping. With all honesty, I only started writing a few months ago, and only then did I learn to be entranced by the ratings and comments of stories. Once I got a few, I craved more.

Now I rate and comment, knowing how much it can sway and motivate the author. This, once again is good advice. Thank you for sharing.

Satsumabook123Satsumabook1236 months ago

Really interesting insight into publishing on Literotica. As a writer it is very disappointing when a story you have worked hard on is badly received. The point about tags is excellent as I do not use them well. I never intended to write stories in series as I don't tend to read other series.Spacing them out sounds a great idea. The relationship between the number of times a story is read, the number of votes and the scores given, the likes and the number of comments is fascinating. Often a story with a large number of likes scores very low in the voting.

I rarely give less than 5* and only then 4* if I don't like the story I am unlikely to finish it. I will look to leave comments more often as I like to receive them.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

A well written article with some great practical advice. And, I think, a timely appeal for more interaction with the authors (at least those who put some effort into their work like you do).

Dalton402Dalton4026 months ago

I would add to that, be original with the content. There are so many cuckold, cheating wives, woman/man in a straight relationship turning gay stories so be original. For Jilted I did it from the perspective of the children. It was one of my for best comments. For One Bad Year my highest for comments, the betrayed spouse fights to win back his wife from a younger lover. Also Are You For Real? started off a discussion about catching herpes, I never expected that.

Reel the reader in with the description. It is short, make it count. For Jilted I put "Cheaters beware of the kids"

You say great title, I would also say original title. Do a search on your title before you publish, how many have the smae title.

Some catagories get more comments than others. Loving Wives you get a lot. Erotic couplings gets little.

Lastly, build a reputation. That takes time. More readers, more comments. Simple maths.

Readers, authors write to get you off so get the author off by leaving a comment. Believe me, getting a nice comment from someone who put a lot of time and effort into it really makes the author's day. I wish Literotica would make it easy for authors to reply to comments.

vardicdvardicd6 months ago

I'm an obsessive compulsive reader and I'll read anything that catches my interest, be it erotic or not. I'm one of those readers that when I'm into a story I live it, I can see it in my mind and put myself into the story as a participant or just as an observer and for those stories I like to give feedback to help an author improve or fix mistakes. There are a number of Patreon authors I talk to on discord and give typo error reports or story continuity mistakes too.

For some of us, negative reactions from a writer can turn us off leaving comments. Shortly after I found this site, and discovered a story here I liked, I tried to give feedback, both positive, and corrective. The author had a scene where his MC removed a woman's panties, but a few paragraphs later, the MC pulled her panties off again. It was a very positive comment over all, with just a mild be more careful of this type situation. Shortly afterward the author posted his/her own comment about how it was their story and it should be enjoyed as it is or not, they didn't want other people's opinions on what we felt the author had done wrong. I have extreme anxiety and that was enough to trigger it hard, and had made me very reluctant to post comments on here.

AlexbymkwAlexbymkw6 months ago

All of your stories are good/great/awesome; so I can cop out with that blanket comment! You are correct about the state one ends up during or after the read factoring into whether or not I leave a comment! I definitely like the ā€œchoiceā€ ones as they make you focus on the entire story. Since you cover many themes (well!) for me itā€™s often the theme cross paths with my mood at the time.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

As a reader may I be so bold as to offer this.

Tags, get them full and correct, it's the difference between being read and not. Grammar, so many writers do not know the difference between grinded and ground. Continuation, publish chapters at regular intervals, I tend to bookmark long stories if I enjoy it to read in one go, to long in between and it gets lost in the daily list and forgotten.

Of course the worse thing a writer can do is not finish Ć  story but continue to publish other work. There are several writers on lit. guilty of this the above being one ! As for comments, so many are not published or decried as not being valid the way I deal with simply poor or chronic stories (my choice) I simply leave no comment or rating. It's tough I know but it the real world if I do a poor job I receive no payment or repeat custom.

XenAngelusXenAngelus6 months ago

I forget sometimes that a comment helps ^^ love your stories, and i may comment more often now šŸ‘

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

You are one of my favorite writers and I will comment from now on. I thought I had to be a member to vote and comment on the stories.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I can't believe I just sat here and wasted my time reading the first half.

For heavens sake a good story gets good votes and comments.

One * from me in the hope it reduces the average.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

This reads like an advertisement for Jasmine's sake, not the writers. I'm not quite sure why people fawn over this writer. There certainly are better.

MegadavorMegadavor6 months ago

Just on the issue of comments, it's always been my assumption that authors don't necessarily want to hear from us grubby perverts, or conversely that someone like Jasmine isn't going to read new comments across her millions of popular stories, so I tend not to bother.

Happy to do so though, unless post-nut clarity has kicked in too hard!

Bearly_LegibleBearly_Legible6 months ago

That was an interesting piece, as a reader. I should make sure I vote more consistently. Usually, if I'm engaged with the first page I will read it all and vote. I tend not to comment, as I have nothing useful to add. I will, however, endeavour to comment more and try to include a little detail on an aspect I enjoyed. I really am appreciate of all the time and effort that goes into the stories I read here.

CharlieXMXCharlieXMX6 months ago

I think this is very helpful and a great insight into the way the community works. My initial stories had been pages long but I wasn't sure how many people read it the whole way through or just skipped. It's saddening because of all the effort and thought that goes into meaningful dialog and characters. If the readers are just here to get off quickly, I can understand that but I implore them to read further so they don't miss out on a good storyline. Every part written is meant to buildup towards a satisfying climax and I encourage readers to take the time to read through a longer story for the full effect. I truly appreciate this advice and strongly encourage fans to write feedback. It greatly drives a writer's want to deliver more content that they love and knowing they're doing great at it.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

All the depth of a Chat GPT article. You spent more time pimping your vast library than providing useful information. A title might encourage someone to read your story, but I can't imagine how that prompts anyone to leave a comment. Worthless suggestion. The same with picking tags - it might help someone find your story, but how does that encourage comments? While some categories may receive more comments (Loving Wives, anyone?) - your data dump fails to illuminate or educate. That leaves only the last two as having any true value. Interestingly, the simplest way of getting a comment didn't receive its own heading: Ask for them! You're a good storyteller, but your analytical skills need as much help as your editing. Each of the five items were listed as item #1.

HumiliaterHumiliater6 months ago

Jasmine

Thanks for this thoughtful essay. I published my first story six months ago and I can't describe how much of a boost it is to get feedback on a story. Thankfully the comments have been mostly positive and some have helped me up my game or provided new storylines for my characters. For example, my first tale, "Str8 Turn Out" was only supposed to be a two- or three-part series, but thanks to positive feedback and suggestions from readers on what they wanted to see happen to the characters, has expanded to TWELVE parts and I am working on a finale. I have also received a few harsh comments that can be devastating and some that make you wonder why some folks are reading stories on Literotica at all...

I absolutely loved your Hypnosissy series! My tales are posted in the Gay Male or TG categories, so they have a smaller but apparently a more enthusiastic audience than str8 tales. You are spot on regarding tags. Most of my stories are tagged, "straight to gay", "male submissive", male dominant", and the ever popular, "panties". As you advise, I try to write for average guys, gay, straight or bi, who either fantasize about putting a straight boy on his knees or dream about being dominated by a stronger male.

A quick review shows that I receive a comment for every 800 views, for which I am deeply grateful to my readers.

Please keep putting out helpful tips to you fellow writers and your hot stories!

Humiliater

amaaramaar6 months ago

When it comes to writing stories, I have no doubt that you are the best writer here. The way you construct your stories, develop plot, the seduction, the natural transition of characters, the surprise, etc is absolutely brilliant. There is although one critique that I would like to make, if you may allow me. I feel like there some times stories where you do not really take into suggestions and may be for this reason people would be a bit reluctant to comment on the stories. Having said that it may be just me and I could be wrong but it is just my observation. But it goes without saying that you are the best writer I have come across. And please continue with the good work. Wishing you all the best.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I often leave feedback but i cannot log in as smoothnnude, it comes up with annon A, my email address has changed, so tried another log in name but couldnt B, because the email address i was using is already in use, how n why is a mystery, so bottom line, luv your work and would like to see more stories on clean shaven and nude ideas.

DarkLadyLionDarkLadyLion6 months ago

Thanks for those tips! Something I will definitely keep in mind.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Thanks for all the info.. most informative šŸ’•

donaldelliott11donaldelliott116 months ago

Fascinating essay. I am a voracious reader and have been here for YEARS, and I rarely leave comments or read those previously posted.

Often the story is not recent and the "discussion" in the comments section is pretty much over.

Also, what do I care what other readers thought about it?

And finally, way too many comments are inane bullpoop. Unless authors curate the comments, they're not worth my time. (I'm talking to YOU, LW nazis....)

ProfQ1955ProfQ19556 months ago

In the world of mass marketing the number of positive responses often falls below 1/2% and that is for tangible goods. So donā€™t be discouraged by the lack of comments. Though do be encouraged knowing that all those readers have formed in their mind a perfect picture of your nylon encased legs as your adventurerā€™s eyes or hands slowly move up incredible legs. And for me I go farther and peek at your panties. Love your work

babaloo92babaloo926 months ago

Thanks for the pointers. I'm relatively new and you do have quite the catalogue to lean back on. I appreciate the help.

silkstockingsloversilkstockingslover6 months agoAuthor

Authors note:

1. My apologies, the formatting got skewed somehow when I sent it in.

2. For a couple who implied I was boostingā€¦ that was not the intent. That said, data helps make the case and Iā€™m fortunate enough to have a lot of years and stories to have relevant data.

3. Yes, I know there are a lot better writers out there than me.

4. I apologize for not finishing stories, alas I get bored sometimes. Or struggle to know where to go nextā€¦ hereā€™s talking to you Bedding the Babysitter or Hypnosissy.

5. A couple questions here I will answer in next months 20 questions as they have me thinking. Especially the one e have score or reads. A fascinating query.

Regardless, my point was authors appreciate comments. Sure, the odd writer may not have a thick skin, but they better get one if they are posting on Literoticaā€¦ as I have been called a lot of names over time. That said, most comments and emails are flattering, complimentary or at least constructive criticism.

Jasmine

Ps: apparently, I really wanted it to be 2024 already.

OzeminotaurOzeminotaur6 months ago

You have given me many hours of very enjoyable reading plus you showed me the exotic pleasure of nylon clad legs and as always tastes change as you get older I still loved what I liked when I was younger but now'er days I'm more into a hot milf in a tight skirt on a juicy ass, with nylons and heels with tight top that shows off her C or D sized breasts and your stories always seem to have more females with curves than other authors not that there's anything wrong with pixie little nymphets

All this is to say keep writing great stories Jasmine

MaresEatOatsMaresEatOats6 months ago

Iā€™m commenting, lol. I rarely do, and have no criteria - just inspiration in the moment.

USMCVetUSMCVet6 months ago

This site would be significant less appealing without you here. Thank you!

TamaboneTamabone6 months ago

Thank you for this. I truly love to learn at the (stocking clad) feet of such an influencial writer. You don't need to share what you have learned but you take the time to do just that.

I find that I mainly leave comments when a story connects with me on some undescribable level. I usually always vote but only comment when the story drives me to. It is truly impossible to describe why I am moved to comment, but I know it when I see it. Lol

VictorN55VictorN556 months ago

Thanks for the insight

IreneGoodnightIreneGoodnight6 months ago

Jasmine you are such a great writer and you pretty much write what every woman and man want to read aboutā€¦their own sex lives or the sex lives they would love to have. I know a writing professor at the nearby college and I am going to see, after I have sex with him, if he would use your article to show his students the sexier side of writing. I always wear nylons after you introduced me to them when I first joined in reading your Literotica stories. I also love reading your stories to my lovers and then we practice what you write! Thanks for keeping all of us turned on and sexy.

JTassJTass6 months ago

Sorry, hit the post button by accident before I was finished with my last comment. I wasn't intentionally being a jerk and only pointing out a minor typo on an interesting essay.

Thanks for the guidance and insight.

Ozgood13Ozgood136 months ago

Thanks for the info. None of my work has ever had a comment.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I am well educated. I write well, and my copy is mostly error-free when posted. When I read stories here, errors jar me and spoil my enjoyment. 90% of the stories here contain blatant errors of grammar, punctuation, and syntax. (The worst offenders seem proud of their "take it or leave it" attitude.)

Why would I bother to comment?

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

everytime i miss spell something i get a commnt from a spelling nazi LOL i reply with im a little dyslexic and do the best i can do ytou laugh at paople in wheel chairs ? a mis spelling always gets a coment :) LOL i cant type on a phone eather..:)

sabrinamoanssabrinamoans6 months ago

Love the analysis of comments youā€™ve given here. I must admit only became a literotica member so I could vote and keep track of YOUR stories. And after reading this see there are a few I need to check out sooner rather than later.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Interesting information. Thanks for thinking so much about this, and spending the time to gather the data.

5*

Tc

Btw, I canā€™t remember any of your stories that I didnā€™t give five stars. āœØ

secretLacesecretLace6 months ago

great summary. As a writer its har to try and make sense of the metrics regarding comments and view. Been a longtime follower of your stories <3

DirtykyminheelsDirtykyminheels6 months ago

you'll get more comments Jasmine, and more emails too x

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens6 months ago

I am very thankful for the Literotica writers who share their stories with us. I especially enjoy your stories. A heartfelt thanks to you and all the other wonderful writers on this site.

Aoife_from_UlsterAoife_from_Ulster6 months ago

Thank you for this. A few things as I applaud you Jasmine

I love, love, love your stories. I do not think I have ever given you less than šŸŒŸšŸŒŸšŸŒŸšŸŒŸšŸŒŸ. I am lazy at times and do not comment as well, my apologies.

You are so correct, I write for myself. I write for my exhilaration, enjoyment and yes, release.

As a writer I just wish those who love it would tell me why. I have received many comments as to the extreme opposite side of the spectrum including those which are downright nasty. But thank you for doing this. I for one appreciate your information and research.

mrBIGbmrBIGb6 months ago

Very informative I give stars more than comments. If I don't like a story, I don't do anything.

daylilygardenerdaylilygardener6 months ago

Thank you. I totally agree with story tags. It is especially helpful when searching for specific story themes.

EMoonEMoon6 months ago

Great summary, and I can relate. Thank you for sharing!

MusicBox1978MusicBox19786 months ago

Don't go blind on stats. For me I vote 90% of the stories I read. That is my way of giving a comment. But a real comment I only do when I feel it contributes something, or when I have questions.

A comment like 'good job' or something alike is not a contribution. If the question is what I like? End the story with a specific question. "What part did you like/dislike the most?" That would trigger me to leave a more specific comment.

ca_daveca_dave6 months ago

One thing I have noticed is often multi part stories, readers wait to the last one to comment. This is really a bad choice as they may love the series but hate the ending. I am not a writer, I read a lot of stories and always vote on them, but not always comment. One thing I hate is how people who never post a story are so fast to criticize one. My response to them is, you want that story write and post it. Then you can control the story line.

Keep posting and take care.

GymTeacherYouDeserveGymTeacherYouDeserve6 months ago

Important to note for (some, not all) readers who comment: Not liking the outcome of a story, or getting frustrated with the bend of a story arc does not necessarily make it a bad story. Some stories cover uncomfortable subjects or fetishes/sexualities some disagree with. Again, this does not necessarily make it a bad story. What DOES make a bad story are the following:

* plot holes or general lack of plot. I know erotica is about getting off, but who also doesn't want an engaging or interesting story with your jack off sesh?

* Lack of realism. Is your setting realistic? How's that suspension of disbelief--especially with sci-fi, fantasy, or horror?

* Lack of relatability. Most people do not live in a porno or a dirty magazine 24/7. Sure... some may have their dirty side, but it isn't a constant barrage of banality--unless you're antisocial.

* Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters. See my last point.

* Lack of paragraphs. Poor spelling and poor sentence construction.

* (For some of us) use of clobber words. Softer words like pussy, breasts, tool, member, etc. add to the eroticism. But I understand that SOME do find use of clobber words hot.

Either way, understanding that it's all about personal tastes and you doing you is most important. When you discover a story you don't like... don't give up. There's lots here to please just about anybody's tastes. Don't forget to use those tag words and don't forget (if you're a reader) to look up those tag words to find just what you like.

Happy hunting!

legsfeettoeslegsfeettoes6 months ago

Jas, you asked for it. You want a comment. Here's mine.

There's no doubt that you are the Queen of Literotica. You've written the most stories. You've received the most comments. And you have a healthy ego. You are the only one who sends me a message asking me to vote for your stories in all the categories for which one of your stories has been nominated for an award. As I recall you even included the link so I could vote.

Then you write this "helpful" contribution to help us get more comments and readers for our own stories. But you also brag your little heart out with all the statistics you include. Yeah, Jas, you're out there saying, "Look at me! Look how great I am! Look at all the stories I wrote! Look at all the readers I have!"

You could have written a simple how to get readers and how to get comments without all the statistics. But that's not how Jas works. No, she stands at the head of the class and boasts of all her accomplishments. You do that in your annual review too.

Am I jealous of your success? Is that why I'm writing this? Some will think so, but I disagree with that conclusion. I don't want to be you. I'm not writing for awards. No problem there because I lack both the will to write so much and the talent to compete with you and 99% of the other Lit authors.

Here's my comment, Jas. I hope you read it. You have one extremely healthy ego. I gave you crap for that today, but I hope you never lose that. That's what makes you so special and on my list of authors I follow. Don't change - except for maybe not boasting as much as you do while trying to make us think that's not what you're doing.

I'm emailing you to let you know I wrote this. I still love you, Jas.

graypaintedzebragraypaintedzebra6 months ago

This was a very insightful read. The lit readership is a fickle group. There have been times when I publish a story thinking it's going to be well received and it does the opposite. Results can be confusing when no comments are left by the reader to give you a clue as to how you can improve. Thank you for your insight Jasmine your stories have had such a positive impact on my writing.

Ranger001Ranger0016 months ago

Well, having read 98.7%(+/-) of the previous 68 comments, I'd say your exercise in writing this tutorial has a positive influence on those who have read it. Congratulations!

As an aside, I again postulate that the best part of a story is often the commentary which follows it..! šŸ¤£

goatman96goatman966 months ago

You'll get no comments on this one! Except I guess this is a comment

GoodTimeSarah316GoodTimeSarah3166 months ago

I wish you would do a Q&A for other writers.

shadow_loversshadow_lovers6 months ago

thank you for the tips I hope they will make my stories as popular as yours. if there is any other tips. I would really appreciate It also any tips you have on a story im working (honeymoon with a twist) would be much appreciate also a lot of my stories are rejected saying its written by a computer any tips with that will help.

EasterbilbyEasterbilby6 months ago

This is a great breakdown and makes me very interested in trying some ideas for getting more comments. I'm actually more interested in votes. In general people comment to complain :) Or to drop a line. It would be great if Literotica has a reply function rather than just the comment. I'd like to say thanks when people comment, which might garner more comments. That interaction is what people crave. But replying comments are usually lost in the pile.

RedheadsapioRedheadsapio6 months ago

Jas I will try to leave more comments ā¤ļø

BuzzboyBuzzboy6 months ago

Could you look over my stories and see what I should do? Thanks.

TimazingTimazing6 months ago

I have read many stories and never thought to comment, but I always vote. Now I know that comments are important I'll do my best to leave them.

Thank you, and all of the other authors, for your hard work.

FifthEstateFifthEstate6 months ago

Iā€™m going to leave a couple of comments because I donā€™t want this to get too long in one space. Jasmine, itā€™s great that you give back to the community that has made you ā€œfamousā€ in Lit circles. This was a well written piece that should be helpful to anyone publishing stories on Lit, but especially to newer authors.

I remember how excited I was to get those first few comments when I published my first story almost 6 years ago. They were generally good and gave me huge confidence and motivation to keep going. So for any reader who sees this, if you know itā€™s an authorā€™s early work, I especially encourage you to leave comments. Hopefully they are positive, but constructive feedback is good too.

But if you are an author, especially one who has had some success on Lit, and you read something good from an up and coming writer, I implore you to post comments. Nothing boosts the confidence of a newer author more than praise from someone who has had success doing it , especially in that category.

Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to have some success in the categories I primarily focus in: IR and NC/R. I am always on the lookout for newer authors in those genres who write good stuff and then I make sure to comment. I canā€™t tell you how appreciative they are to receive them. I remember when I received a positive comment and follow from one of my all time fav authors, thecryptkeeper. To this day it is still one of my proudest moments on Lit!

Oopsā€¦that still ran long šŸ˜¬

devil_dogs21devil_dogs216 months ago

Thanks Jasmine. I love your work and it's inspired me to take a shot at writing my own stories. I'm guilty of not always rating or commenting on a story but the ones that move me I definitely do (like many of yours). You hit on a couple things that I need to do a better job at when I'm writing, that is the title and the description. I give that very little thought but after reading your explanations I realized I do that too (click on stories that have an enticing description or title). Thanks.

FifthEstateFifthEstate6 months ago

My second response is more about the Xā€™s and Oā€™s of getting more comments. Jasmine you made a lot of noteworthy points, all of which would be helpful in gaining more comments. There are a few points Iā€™d like to expand on and one or two additional that I think can help. The first is obvious, but itā€™s the most important, write GREAT stories! Readers are much more likely to comment (at least the ones you want) if they like your work. If your stories are mediocre, so will be the response from readers in terms of scores, follows and comments. Secondly, be an interactive author. Respond to every email (assuming you donā€™t have 48k followers like the person who wrote this article. Jas would need a whole staff for that), and leave interactive comment feedback at the end of your stories. Readers are more likely to reach out to authors they consider responsive ā€˜friendsā€™ or ā€˜friendlyā€™. Another underrated component is dressing up your profile page. When I look at a writerā€™s profile page and it says ā€œNo Answerā€ all the way down the page, I immediately say to myself, ā€œthis writer doesnā€™t care to engage me, so why should I engage or provide feedback to them?ā€ You donā€™t have to give away your family secrets, but fill in the blanks and use the ā€œSome words from youā€ box to engage them. Encourage them to email or PM you. Lastly, one of the points that Jasmine made that Iā€™ve experienced success in drawing more feedback is to publish chapter stories and begin to space the releases out longer and longer the further into the story you go. If the story gains steam, readers will have more time to catch up and will be more likely to suggest avenues theyā€™d like for it to go via comments. A few may complain itā€™s taking too long, but if they love it, theyā€™ll come back to it. I just finished the ninth and final chapter to one of my story series after 4 years (Iā€™m not advocating you space them that far apart)! That series garnered over 500 comments and about half that number of emails.

FifthEstateFifthEstate6 months ago

Sorryā€¦canā€™t help myselfā€”one final thing. This will help get more readers to your story and hopefully more feedback, views, and votes. Jasmine advocated for a great story title and full descriptive tags, both of which I strongly support. But, in some ways, the story descriptions are even more important. Take the time necessary to write the most erotic and descriptive ones you can. Also, donā€™t use character names, use descriptive words instead. No one who hasnā€™t read your story has any idea who your female character Allie is. As a reader, which of the following two descriptions are you more likely to click on: ā€œAllie gets first taste of BBC and loves itā€ or ā€œHot young blonde wife gets first taste of BBC and loves itā€. Also, if you are writing chapter stories, make each chapter description unique, hot and applicable to that chapter. I am always amazed at the laziness of authors who use the same description for 32 chapters in a row. If they canā€™t come up with a 10-15 word desirable description, why should I believe they can write a story Iā€™m going to be interested in. Okay, Iā€™m officially doneā€¦lol.

silkstockingsloversilkstockingslover6 months agoAuthor

To Fifth Estate

Great comments. I now wish I would have written more.

Each of your suggestions are likely better than mine... especially the writing of a good story piece. Also, a good, clear summary is also critical.

Readers be sure to read all three of FifthEstate's comments as they are great additions to this essay.

bbbluebbblue6 months ago

These are interesting suggestions!

I only write very occasionally, but I found the same thing: my first stories were in the Anal category (Ani & Lars), but after reading many other stories, and looking at the numbers, it's clear that the incest category is the best place to get a lot of reads. I started a chapter-series of incest-related stories, and your exact point about sequels is obvious, if you look at my numbers for my 'Family Bonds' stories. Precipitous drops in reads of chapters 2 and 3.

I would like to write some more intricately plotted stories, but I also want to write stuff that people read, and rate highly. So, maybe writing one-off stories is the best way to go to accomplish that...

SurferD64SurferD646 months ago

Thanks for sharing comments on comments. I appreciate your words of wisdom, particularly with respect to tags and titles. I struggled with tags particularly on my third story (pending publication) and after reading your comments on fetishes realize I need to edit and add to it. I agree stockings should always be included. Nothing sexier than a pair of silk stockings.

IdyutIdyut6 months ago

It is very depressing how few vote and even fewer comment. Ha.

trewq175trewq1755 months ago

I don't publish stories myself, but still interesting to read. I guess I just like insights and data analys.

Reader1225Reader12255 months ago

As my name suggests, Iā€™m a reader, not an author. I love to read the comments section as much as the story, the literary skills of some readersā€¦ mmm.

I tend to comment when I disagree with someone elseā€™s comment, especially if I love the story.

People love to comment on, say, ā€˜loving wivesā€™ stories, ā€˜what a slut, how can you, Mrs author, write about such a thing, itā€™s disgusting, sheā€™s a cheatā€™. Well yes, thatā€™s the category youā€™re in! It makes me wonder if some readers even read the category of a suggested story.

I see youā€™re a Dom; again I see similar comments on Dom or cuck stories. ā€˜The Sub needs to man up, I wouldnā€™t let that happen to meā€™ā€¦ oh man, what are you reading it for thenā€¦?

Be careful with questions at the end, because a reader sees words and is excited about the climax of the story, so to speak, and then those words are asking about ā€˜should Claire get with Jon in the next chapterā€™ it can turn your mood slightlyā€¦ ;)

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Hello Jasmine,

First, please let me thank you for sharing your talent with your Lit. readership, and let me say that your writings have given me many hours of enjoyable reading. You can always be relied on to tell an engaging tale!

Now to business. Are you sure that the lack of comments is not really a blessing in disguise? For example you give the statistics of Family Affair: Backseat Sister as follows: 3,066.301 reads with 373 comments. An infinitesimal ratio of comments to reads to be sure, but would you even be able to read 3,066,301 comments much less reply to them? Even reviewing a single comment for every ten reads would be an impossible task. An author as prolific as yourself would very soon stop writing if every reader commented on your stories and you then set yourself the task of reading every comment. Further, replying to your readers would be something you simply would never have time for.

Perhaps you could consider the situation this way: in the universe of people who are interested in erotic literature only a tiny number are writers of such literature. It is not surprising that the non-writers don't offer commentary often since they after all are non-writers. When a non-writer writes commentary it may be just as difficult for them to write, and maybe more so, than the writing was for the author who wrote the story they are commenting on.

BTW 5 stars for this essay. The stats were fascinating.

JezzicaDeeJezzicaDee4 months ago

Thank you for this, Iā€™m an aspiring author. As this is about commenting I thought Iā€™d better leave one. I didnā€™t start to publish for likes or comments, but as itā€™s the only real feedback I get itā€™s useful.

Good luck to every other author too xxxx

LovesDancingLovesDancingabout 2 months ago

Most of the time I'm reading for my enjoyment, I comment fairly often but often it's a problem with how and what to write for a comment other than the standard "Great story". I've written a few stories and I'm also depressed about the lack of comments.

Radomir1Radomir1about 1 month ago

Hello. I love your stories. This one is great too.

However, the approach is a bit off here. This is a free story site. Of course the author wants to get some kind of reward. Although moral. And as if the reviews should provide it. But what do they really provide?

Reviews of style:

-great and you're good - only confirm 4-5*** and are not interesting to the author;

-your story is a pile of crap-unpleasant and not interesting

-your stories are full of grammatical errors- I know, I'm not a professor of philology;

- I'll tell my story- what the hell? Write and publish.

The author who cares about the comments is a lonely person and has no one to communicate with.

What matters are the ratings and the number of views.

And they can be the envy of world bestselling authors.

After all, this author is a potential multi-millionaire. Hey, where are you publishers?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usersilkstockingslover@silkstockingslover
I am a married woman who has a fetish for wearing nylons. My themes although I am not limited to them are: seduction, domination, humiliation, blackmail, lingerie,and submission. I write about my fantasies and will write stories based on other people's fantasies as well, ...