Titans Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think I'm needed with the scouts. Will you all be okay to walk while I run off ahead?"

That drew a grumble from Gelb, but he was quickly shushed by Daine. Talia had already started to descend, gliding easily down his flank to land lightly on the slate gravel path.

"Go check up on Elizabeth, we'll be fine," she patted one enormous leg. Alex nodded, taking a knee and allowing them to dismount.

"What's happening?" the vampire's ghostly voice tickled across his ear.

"We're going to see Elizabeth, it seems like she's spotted something."

"Interesting. We're at the top of the pass?"

"Not quite. That's where Elizabeth is though."

"Worrying," Vanessa pondered, shifting through the minute gap between his neck and the seat, "That's wild territory. No major settlements for miles."

With no more passengers on the exterior, Alex picked up the pace. The ground was a little unstable beneath his heavy feet, but after the first few steps seismic feedback mapped out potential slipping points in the loose, rocky surface. Soldiers watched on cautiously at the giant, metal man thundering up the side of the mountain. The army was only halfway up the pass, and Elizabeth remained right at the top, so even at his increased speed it was another hour before he passed a scout riding back down the other way. The rider halted as he approached, and then fell in behind as he continued.

The group of scouts were split either side of the highest point of the path. Roughly half were peering ahead while Elizabeth and the other half watched Alex approach. As he drew close, his steps slowed. The major cantered out to meet him as his exhausted tail rode up to the group.

"Something the matter? We got worried when we saw you running up."

"I was about to ask you the same thing. I overheard your conversation earlier, seemed like you needed me."

Elizabeth stared at him blankly as jaws dropped around her.

"Yeah yeah," she shook her head, "He's full of surprises, get used to it boys."

The major dismounted, beckoning to the mech as she walked up to the top of the rise. Alex followed, taking care not to spook the horses. Elizabeth stood on a rocky outcropping, and pointed down the valley.

"Can you overhear any interesting conversations down there?"

At the base of the mountain, a sprawling forest lay over the rolling foothills. Dozens of thin, wispy columns of smoke trailed skyward through the trees. Alex furrowed his brow, activating sensors and scanners and directing them all towards the signs of life. Thermal imaging showed numerous small fires, and smudges of motion as living things moved around in a chaotic pattern. More and more different scans layered over his senses, painting a picture that concerned him deeply. He saw giants, goblins and beastmen camping in the woods; a veritable army extending over the hills, beyond his view. Constructs of wood, metal and rope that could only be war machines littered the ridge. Here and there small shards of reactor shielding, like his own sword, were revealed as glowing stars.

"Elizabeth," he said, taking a slow step back to reduce his silhouette against the skyline, "Send word back to the General. We found the enemy."