To Have and To Hold Ch. 02

Story Info
An SUV, a dinner out and a late visit.
2.7k words
4.59
5.6k
11

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/16/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Two: I just needed to see you.

I've been walking for about twenty minutes straight. It almost feels like pacing, not walking. I'm now about 4 blocks away from the Levenson building. I stop and begin to become aware of where I'm standing. It's almost three in the afternoon and I haven't had any lunch. I take my phone out from my bag and open the Uber app to have someone pick me up and take me back to Glendale.

As I'm waiting for my cab, right out of the corner of my left eye I see an SUV approaching and as it passes in front of me, the car slows down, but it doesn't stop. I narrow my eyes at the SUV because it's strange that the driver slowed on such a busy street. My phone vibrates and I jump a little, because I was focusing so hard to see if someone was actually coming out of the car.

Your Uber has arrived at its destination.

I read the notification and then looked up again searching for the SUV, but it was already turning right around the block. There's a honk to my left, and I realize my driver is waiting on me. I get in the car and head home, at last.

-

When I enter the building, I can hear Alfred's voice yelling with desperation. "Don't drop anything. These are valuable assets, my prized possessions. Give me that lamp! This costs more than your life!" he's making Tom's job extra difficult.

"Alfred, will you please chill a little. Tom isn't your slave, he's actually helping you not have to lift all of these items... prized possessions," I say.

"Where have you been, Lexie? We could use the help here, you know. I understand it's an emotional time, but we have to be out of here by Friday," Tom's tone is resentful.

"I'm sorry. I had an emergency that I needed to tend to. Let me go ahead and help Alfred finish packing.''

He nods and proceeds to tell Alfred a lot of these things might break anyway.

"Boy, you better not break any of my things, because I promise I will make you pay for it," we both internally laugh hearing Alfred's nagging.

"Alfred, get over here. Let me help you pack, so we can have your stuff delivered to your house today," I see him walk towards me and open his arms to let me in for a hug.

"You haven't failed anyone, you know? We could never be disappointed by you. You have been the backbone of this community center, Alfred. We love you and we always will."

"Oh, Lexie. I'm sorry your career never took off here. You are too brilliant, sweetheart. I know you will thrive anywhere," he winks at me, wiping his own tears. "Ok, let's pack the hell out of my prized possessions, shall we?"

The day goes by so quickly, when I stop to look at the time it's already seven o'clock. We are almost done with the kitchen and diner. We ended up donating most of it to the families that used to come here for meals.

My phone rings. I run to it and notice Karen's calling.

"Hey, Karen, what's up?"

"I should ask you the same thing. You haven't answered a single text from me today, Alexandra."

"Stop calling me Alexandra, it's irritating." Except when Christopher does. "Sorry, it's just been a long day. And we've been so busy here, packing, I haven't looked at my phone."

"Aww, Lexie. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Dad did tell me the drivers have been taking stuff down to the storehouse nonstop."

"Yeah. It's crazy busy down here. Plus with the emotions and Alfred nagging at everybody. It's a lot," I consider telling her about Levenson Holdings, but I refrain from doing so because I need to finish up here and Karen won't let me drop the phone until I tell her everything.

"Well, maybe when you come home we can have some wine, and you can tell me about your day, so you can feel better. Jeff won't be coming tonight, he has a game he's gotta cover for his column."

"That'd be great! Thanks, Karen. I'll see you soon. Love you.'"

We hang up. I stare at my phone and wonder what my life would be like without my best friend in it. I don't think I would've been able to make of my life what I have without her. My thoughts are abruptly interrupted.

"Lexie! Lexie! Where are you at, girl?"

"I'm over here, in the Pantry!" I respond while packing up the last boxes of cereal for donations.

"Girl, we have been looking for you everywhere. You're still packing?" Tamara looks at me in disbelief. She is another of our staff members here at Little Topher.

"We have been cooling off for the past 15 minutes, and you are still here working your cute behind off. Now that's commitment," she laughs and shakes her head.

"I'm almost done. I'm exhausted," I put the one last box on top of the only pile left in here.

"Yo, listen. Tom wanted me to tell you that they are planning on going to Bright Buffalo for dinner. You know, one of the last times to go out as a group."

"Oh, yeah? Well I'm actually exhausted. I think I'm just going to head home," I tell her and yawn.

"Nah, you should really go. I mean make an effort for the guys. You're like the mother hen of this crowd," she laughs at her comment. "You know, Lexie, I always look at you and think to myself, how is she so strong? How come we never see her breaking down? You are so young but so old in spirit at 24, you know?" she nods at her own thoughts, and I'm over here with tears in my eyes.

"Tamara, how did you get so wise?" I pull her in for another tight hug. "You and I are family. I will never disappear from your life. Always remember that, ok?" I know she's scared of what's going to happen to us once the center is closed for good. With her history of abandonment and abuse, I needed to make sure she felt reassured.

"Are you going to Bright Buffalo?" I ask her.

"Yeah, actually Tom said Mr. Lloyd gave him enough money to treat everybody. So, I'm coming."

"Ok, then I'll come too. I guess we have to enjoy the time we have left to have fun together," I walk over to where my bag is and make sure I have everything with me. I turn off the lights and out we go.

-

We get to Bright Buffalo, and I'm surprised at how packed it is. Then I remember about the game Karen was talking about. No wonder. Can't people watch the Clippers play from home?

"Yo, let's take that round table right at the corner. We can watch the game and chat as it's far from the bar," Tamara was visibly excited.

We reach the table, and it's enough for the 12 of us. We all grab our menus and begin to decide what to have.

The waiters are taking too long to come over and take our order. "Listen, I'm going outside to call Karen and ask her if she wants to join us, ok?" I let Tom know.

"Sure, is there anything I can get you?" Tom points at the menu.

'"I'll have the short rib tacos and a Bud Light, thanks," and with that I walk out.

I call Karen and she doesn't pick up. I text her and call again, but there's no response. That can only mean one thing, she's absolutely knocked out. I decide to go back in and as I turn for the door, I see a familiar face walking out of the restaurant. I stop for a second trying to recognize her. Of course! It's Alicia, the receptionist. She had her hair down, and she was wearing flats, no jacket, and no red lipstick. It was almost as if she was a different person.

"Alicia?" I call out.

"Miss. Summers!" she responds a little shocked. "What a coincidence finding you here."

"Lexie, just Lexie," I tell her because formalities are out of the question at this point. "It is a surprise to find you here, I mean are you allowed?" I tell her jokingly given our earlier discussion at her front desk with Mr. Levenson.

"Oh my gosh, I laughed all afternoon thinking of Mr. Levenson's face when you teased him! You have guts, Lexie."

"Oh, well. You saw how it went down with Mr. Smart Business."

"I'm sorry about what happened," she takes a step forward and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you, Alicia," I smile at her. "Are you heading out?"

"Yes. I actually had a date but was unsurprisingly stood up today," she exhales in defeat.

"Oh, no way! What a jackass. I'm sorry."

"Ugh, it was bound to happen; I have little time to date. My job is draining, and I have really no time for myself or personal relationships," she shrugs.

"Listen, this might be a little awkward, but my friends and I are here for dinner and the boys will be watching the Clippers game, but if you like you can hang out with us. We're not fancy like the Levensons, but we're good people."

"Would you do that for me? I would love to!"

"Yeah. Us girls we have to stick together," I joke and motion her towards the door back inside. We both walk back to the restaurant and head to my table.

"Guys this is Alicia. She'll be joining us tonight for dinner. Please make her feel welcome."

Almost immediately, they were offering her a seat, passing on the menu asking her if she wanted for anything. This is what I love about my work family. We all enjoy embracing new people because we know the feeling of wanting to belong all too well.

The game started and all the boys went to one side of the table, and of course Tammy joined them since she is also into basketball. I found myself drifting off into thought, when Alicia spoke up.

"He went after you," she said.

"Excuse me?"

"Mr. Levenson, he went after you when you walked out of the building. He called your name twice, but you didn't respond and just kept on walking. He then hopped on his SUV and I lost sight of him."

SUV, I think to myself.

"Bradley Levenson went after me? For what possible purpose? He humiliated me and my community by calling us passive investments," I scoff.

"Oh, no. That wasn't Bradley you talked to, that was Christopher, his older brother. The CEO of Levenson Holdings."

"Christopher? But I thought the woman who approached your desk was Lucy, Bradley's assistant," I ask trying to fact-check myself.

"Yes, but sometimes Lucy will handle Christopher's agenda when it comes to certain things. But I can understand the confusion," she nods at her own statement.

"So you're telling me that I yelled and cried in front of the CEO of Levenson Holdings?"

"Yeah, and you were pretty good at it too," she's obviously entertained.

"Well, I don't care which brother it was, they all had it coming. One or the other it doesn't really affect my reasoning."

"You know, Lexie, in my three years working there I have never heard anybody, not even his brother, talk to him like you did. It was pretty fierce," she laughs again.

"Well, I think he deserved it. I honestly want nothing to do with a Levenson for the rest of my life. He humiliated me, Alicia. He just stood there, smirking."

"You know, I get the feeling he regretted talking to you like that. You don't know the Levensons. They never beg, never negotiate, never take anything back. They are heartless. But he... he went after you. I'm actually a little shocked myself."

I looked at her in blatant disbelief. "People like them, Alicia; they don't change for anyone or anything. It's how they are genetically built."

"I probably shouldn't have said anything. Please, just forget I ever brought it up," she looks down at her hands, mortified.

"No, it's ok. I appreciate you telling me. This has nothing to do with you. You've been nothing but helpful," I smile and clink my beer to hers.

The night went on superfast; we had a lot of fun. I felt relaxed, even in the midst of the chaos unraveling in my life.

Since I was feeling a little tipsy, Tom drove me home. He drops me off, I say goodbye and head towards the entrance of my apartment building. As I'm inserting the key in the lock of the front door, a car suddenly parks right in front of the stairs that lead to my complex.

It's a black SUV. I could swear it's the same car I saw earlier today. I shake off the thought and just turn back to the door.

"Miss Summers," I hear a voice call out and my body has what feels like a very familiar response.

I turned to confirm my worst fears. Right there, in front of me, stood Christopher Levenson.

"Miss Summers," he's walking up the stairs closing the distance between us. "I apologize for showing up to your home at such a late time of the evening," he stops as we stand face to face.

Maybe it was the beers I had, or maybe it was the shock of seeing the man I despised the most in the entire world stalking me. But for a second I thought I saw something in the way he was looking at me. His eyes weren't void and dark like earlier, they were wide and hungry.

"What are you doing here, Christopher?" I take a step back and put my hand on the railing to steady myself.

"Have you been drinking, Alexandra? Jesus, it's Wednesday night!" he says. And I'm not sure if he's either irritated or concerned.

I cock my head to the side, and make a 'so what' gesture.

"I see you know my name. My actual name, because I'm pretty sure you thought I was my brother Brad," there's that smirk again.

"What are you doing here? Please don't tell me you own the building I live in, too!" my irritation is clear.

"Condominiums aren't a safe investment these days," he's absolutely mocking me.

"Goodbye, Christopher," I start walking to the door, but I trip on my landlord's stupid rug and head for the ground. I feel an arm grab me from my waist and pull me back up. I am now very close to him, almost too close to where I can feel his breathing. He's looking down on me, his eyes causing a burst of flames down my core.

"Alexandra," he said almost in a whisper, ''I came here to apologize for how I acted this afternoon. I admit that I was out of line by calling what clearly means so much to you, a non-productive asset," I could feel his hand tighten around my waist.

"You hurt me," I said.

"I know. It was wrong. I may not understand in full grasp the meaning of the center to you, but I do have respect for people who stand up for what they believe in when there's nothing to gain financially, like you did. It's something I would never be able to do."

We stood there, in the middle of the night, looking at each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity.

"I can't save your center, Alexandra. It's something we have been contemplating for almost 3 years, but somehow it got put off every time."

I'm looking down now, defeated. "I will never understand how you people, having so much to give, are willing to take from those who don't have anything. Compassion doesn't always generate revenue, Christopher, but winning doesn't always mean money figures either," I hold his strong gaze.

He tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, and released me.

"I apologize again for showing up here uninvited," he looks down at his watch, "I just needed to see you."

"Thanks for delivering the message, Mr. Levenson. You don't have to worry about me causing another scene in your building. Reasoning with you people, is a hopeless case."

I headed to the door and went into the building, not looking back.