Touch of a Confessor

Story Info
A Confessor finds love in her own way.
8.4k words
4.33
5.7k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Confessor Jelah was a young woman of nineteen. She was a year past the date that she was supposed to have taken a mate by. The Confessors of The Midlands didn't have strict views per say on the date in which they take their mates, but it is widely accepted as they are supposed to find a man at eighteen and have a child by twenty. Being a Confessor, Jelah could've had any man she wanted by now. Her powers as a Confessor made it so. By the touch of a Confessor, a person becomes so incredibly, helplessly, in love with the Confessor that touched them that many are known to drop dead simply from the Confessor telling them to do so. No man, married or even royalty is off limits to a confessor searching for a mate.

Always women, Confessors almost always bore female children and thus the lineage continued. The power of a Confessor came into fruition at a young age, be it strong and abiding or weak and shallow, it always came to those who were daughters of Confessors. From the moment they had the power, they learned to grab that power, hold it back and keep it inside, for a Confessor's power is always present. They must learn to keep it inside or they would use their power on all that they touched. The moment the young women learned to hold the power back, they are taught to keep a tight grip on it through all their lives. It becomes a habit, an instinct even, like breathing. Keeping their minds tightly wrapped around that power was something all did.

Jelah, more than most, hated using her power on those unwilling. It pained her greatly to take away the mind and will of those whom her power touched. That was the reason she didn't have a mate yet, she refused to take a man against his will. She traveled the Midlands with her wizard, an older man named Rixix, who protected her wherever they went. The wizard kept her safe as she traveled from village to village in search of a man who would be hers, for the Midlands were not a safe place, especially for a Confessor. People everywhere hated and feared Confessors for what their power could do.

Sometimes Jelah hated herself too. Much of the life of Confessors was spent in castle dungeons and town prisons, confirming the guilt of those who were believed to be dangerous and murderous people. When a person who was to be put to death and wouldn't admit to what he did, but no evidence could be found to support his innocence, a Confessor would touch them and confirm that they were guilty. None could resist the power of the Confessor, thus where they gained their cryptic name. This is also why Jelah felt often as though she were killing the men and women she touched with her power. She had a gentle heart and her powers were not as strong as most Confessors. A successful touch would leave her powerless for multiple days, unlike most of their order who could use it daily.

"Madam Jelah, we're only a half-hour's walk from Horners Mill." Rixix said as Jelah sat down on a fallen tree.

Jelah wore the regalia of the basic Confessor, a long, tight black dress that fit her body and went to her thighs before splitting down the sides. Her shoulder length black hair was combed straight around her head. Short and thin, she was a frail young lady. Her wizard Rixix was a man in his sixties with wispy gray hair that was cut short about his head. He wore brown robes of the third class wizard and he walked with a quarter staff in hand.

"I'm tired Rixix. Tired of waking. Tired of searching. Maybe I'm just not meant to have a child." Jelah sighed, rubbing her face tiredly, "Maybe the Spirits don't want me to birth a child."

"Ma'am. If I may say so, you are bringing this on yourself. If you simply found a man you fancied and took him, this would be much easier." Rixix said, "Your sister already has a beautiful young daughter and your mother is expecting you do the same."

"Rixix, I won't destroy someone's life for the life of my unborn child. They already have families. Lovers. Children of their own. I can't take that from them." Jelah said, "And every man I've found so far without a family has been unwilling to come with me."

"Unwilling is an understatement ma'am. The last man you asked was the size of an oxen and he ran for his life, crying for his mother." Rixix said, "I'm afraid you may never find a man willing to be ... "

He bit his lip, mildly unsure whether he should say it. Rixix had been Jelah for almost six years. He had learned that she didn't like being a Confessor. She didn't like the recognition and she definitely didn't like it when someone called her by her title of Confessor.

"Touched by a Confessor." Jelah said bitterly, "Damn this life! Why can't I just have a man and not have to take everything from him!"

"That is the burden you bear young lady. I wish I could help you further, but traveling with you is the best I am capable of." Rixix said kindly.

"Yes, at least you have a wife and children and grandchildren. You didn't have to destroy anyone's lives to get them. You fell in honest love and get to laugh and enjoy being around her." Jelah snapped, jumping to her feet and striding past him.

"Have you not seen the other sisters? They get to love and enjoy their spouses just as I and my wife do." Rixix tried to reassure her as he hurried down the dirt path after her.

"My sister's husband! Hell, my own father! Have you seen them? They're like zombies! They follow my sister and mother as if they were gods and spirits. They don't do anything of their own accord. You can't call what they do lives." Jelah turned on Rixix suddenly, "They hang on their ankles like loyal dogs and their voices are so monotone. Their eyes are blank and cold unless they are looking at their 'loves'. That's no love. That's slavery!"

"But they do love them." Rixix said calmly, "They ... "

"Yes, I know. Because of the power, they hare hopelessly enamoured with their Confessors. I get it. But it isn't any less slavery." Jelah grumbled.

They started down a hill that led into the small village of Horners Mill. A village of about a hundred people with wooden houses scattered all about. A large stream ran by, moving the wheel on the watermill that helped cut the wood that the village painstakingly cut and dragged in from the nearby hills and mountains. It was peaceful and quite most days. Jelah could already tell that there would be nobody here for her either. Nevertheless she walked down into the village at Rixix's side, and right into the first Inn they saw. She felt tired and her chest ached.

"Madam Confessor!" The innkeeper bowed from behind the bar when he saw her.

"We need a room good innkeeper." Jelah said kindly.

"Of course, of course." The innkeeper said, frantically scrabbling from behind the bar, "Let me carry your pack for you honorable wizard."

"Hang on Baelson." A large man said from across the room.

He stood up and his head almost brushed the ceiling. He stood almost seven feet with an enormous shield and axe on his back. He walked over and stood in front fof Jelah. Jelah knew she should stare at this man without emotion and show her dominance as a Confessor, as the others do, but she just couldn't. He was so big and it scared her that he might hurt her. She took a step back, her lip quivering slightly.

"Little Confessor. We don't take kindly to your kind here." The man said huskily, his thumb eagerly brushing the edge of a knife at his belt, "It would be best if you ... moved on ... soon."

"Leave the madam Confessor alone." Rixix said, stepping forward in front of the man who was easily a half-meter taller than him and five times his weight in pure muscle.

"Oh and are you going to magic me if I don't? Look. It's simple. We don't like you here. We take care of our own laws and punishments. We don't need some fancy-dressed little high-noses coming in to try and do our job for us." The man growled, pulling his knife from his belt a little too eagerly.

"Gregor! Leave them alone!" A man on their right stood up and pushed the massive man back a step, "You've no right to interfere. They aren't here for you or anyone."

"And how do you know that Tannin?" Gregor asked angrily.

"Because look at them. They came right off the roads only minutes ago and she's naught but a waif. If they were here on official capacity, there would be more guards, more experienced Confessors. They're just traveling." Tannin said.

Jelah looked over at Tannin and her breath caught in her chest. He was a man of average height with short blonde hair and well weathered face. He looked to be barely older than Jelah and his body was already that of a hardened lumberjack. His shoulders were broad and his arms were strong. He wore a thick overcoat and heavy trousers.

"And why can't they just travel through then?" Gregor grumbled.

"Look at them. They're tired, she's barely still on her feet. Let them rest and gather themselves for a night. You've no quarrel with them, nor they with you." Tannin argued.

"All the more reason for them to go elsewhere." Gregor said, raising his knife.

"No! The madam Confessor will stay the night here if she wishes!" Rixix said sharply.

"Rixix ... it's okay. We can go. I can make it to the next town." Jelah mumbled quietly.

"Madam, please. It's a two day trip to Tamarang from here! We need to rest and get some supplies!" Rixix said as he turned to her.

"Move on!" Gregor growled loudly.

"Gregor! You drink here for free because you protect the town from bandits! I'll not have you driving away customers as well!" The Innkeeper Baelson said in annoyance.

"You let me drink because if you didn't I would level your tavern." Gregor said to him.

"I thank you Innkeeper, but we will be going." Jelah said, turning quickly for the door.

As she left, Rixix stared after her. He looked back to see a grin of satisfaction on Gregor's face. Rixix huffed, took his pack from Baelson and headed quickly out the door after her.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I didn't know we would encounter resistance like that here. Horner's Mill has always been a peaceful town towards the Confessors." Rixix said quietly.

"It's okay Rixix. I understand. I just don't want to cause trouble for the Innkeeper or the nice man Tannin." Jelah said with a nod.

"Madam Confessor! Honored Wizard! Please wait!" A voice called after them.

Rixix turned to see the man, Tannin, hurrying after them.

"Please, allow me to house you at my home tonight. I fear that if you go off now you may put yourself in harms way. It's a long and arduous journey to Tamarang from here. I have a house on the north end of Horner's Mill. It's not much but I can promise a bed for the young Confessor and at least a dry floor for you Wizard." Tannin said kindly.

"I wouldn't want to make trouble. We have been on the road a while. Two more days would not hurt much." Jelah said kindly.

"Nonsense ma'am. I've seen men stronger than you come into trouble this close to the wilds. You need your strength." Tannin said.

"I have Rixix. He is a skilled wizard. We are safe." Jelah said, "Thank you for your kindness."

"Please, may I protest? You do look rather worn madam, you would do well with a night sleep in a warm bed." Rixix said.

"Fine. Tannin, I accept your offer. But I won't be putting you out of your bed. I will lie on the floor as well." Jelah said with a smile.

"I've never heard of someone offering their home to a Confessor before." Rixix said to Tannin.

"That Gregor gets my blood boiling every time he opens his mouth. He thinks because he knocks the heads of bandits every couple of months that he is the king of this town." Tannin said coldly, "He is a great help around here in the times of hardship, but he is also very greedy and thinks very highly of himself. Anyway, I did not want you, ma'am, to have to go out when you are so clearly tired."

"I'm alright. Really." Jelah smiled.

"Okay. I believe you. Here is my home just up ahead." Tannin said, pointing to a small wooden house.

The house was clearly made by a lumberjack. It was house made with cut log walls and a wood shingled roof. It had a single window by the front door and there was a sizeable garden growing alongside.

"You have a spouse then?" Rixix said, seeing the garden.

"No. I have no family. I tend the garden myself when I return from cutting trees in the evenings. I find it ... relaxing." Tannin said as he opened the door for them, "I apologize for the size."

The cabin was cozy, to say the least. It had a stone fireplace built in the back wall of it and there was a bed near the fireplace. A single chair sat opposite the bed on the other side of the fireplace. A large larder covered the wall on their left and a small dresser sat at the foot of the bed. All in all, the cabin was barely four meters square inside. With the two of them sleeping on the floor, it would be tight quarters.

"It's lovely. I thank you." Jelah smiled, nodding her head to Tannin, "By the way, my name is Jelah. Please just call me that. This is my Wizard Rixix. You may call him Rixix as well."

It was plenty warm inside. The wood shingle roof was also padded with grass and wood shavings. The walls were thick and it held the heat well. A small fire crackled in the fireplace.

"Please, take a seat wherever. I'm going to put some soup on for us." Tannin said, opening the larder.

Jelah took a seat on the bed while Rixix sat in the chair. Rixix looked over at Tannin and watched him start to slice some vegetables into a cast iron pot.

"I do apologize for the endless questions, but why does Gregor have such a problem with the Confessors?" Rixix asked.

"A year ago his brother was accused of molesting and raping two young girls. Him and his brother insisted he hadn't done anything. The girl's mother spoke to a passing Confessor and asked her and her wizard to assist in his brother's conviction. After a few people testified to the Confessor that they had known his brother to be a rapist, the Confessor said that she believed Gregor's brother to be guilty." Tannin took a breath and sighed, "He tried to fight and run. The Confessor touched him and he confessed to it. She made him slit his own wrists in the middle of the street. Gregor went beserk. The wizard captured him and put him in magical binds that would hold until he no longer was going to kill him, the Confessor or the girls and their parents. It took him weeks to get free of those magical bonds."

"So a Confessor convicted his brother of child rape and put him to death." Rixix sighed, "That would explain a lot. You think he's done something to warrant this action towards a Confessor?"

"I know he has. He's a murderer. Not from here, no. He wouldn't dare hurt anyone in Horner's Mill as long as he wants to stay here. He killed three of the Mud People that were scouting towards here. He claimed he mistook them for raiders, but we all know he just used their scouting as an excuse to kill." Tannin said as he put some spices in the pot and hung it over the fire.

"Well I wonder if ... " Rixix looked over at Jelah and found her to be sound asleep.

She had collapsed sideways on Tannin's bed, her head on his pillow, and had fallen asleep while the men spoke. Her face was tired and sleepy as she dozed quietly on his bed.

"Not tired." Tannin sighed, looking at her, "You must have quite a time being her Wizard."

"You speak as if you have familiarity with Wizards and Confessors. Why do you not fear or respect her like everyone else?" Rixix asked suspciously.

"Oh, don't get me wrong, I respect Confessors. Very much so. I think I can understand the life they have to live. I've spoken to them before. If you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear from a Confessor. I don't see a Confessor lying in my bed." Tannin smiled softly as he looked at Jelah, "I see a tired young girl that needs rest and a good meal."

"You have a good head on your shoulders." Rixix said with a grin, "Aren't you ever worried about a Confessor touching you?"

"Why would a Confessor need to touch me? I won't attack one, nor have I done anything to worry about being guilty." Tannin said, stirring the soup.

"But what if one wanted to take you as a mate?" Rixix asked, "You know what that entails, being touched and becoming theirs forever."

"Ohhh ... I can think of worse fates. Love is love and I don't think it would be as terrible as people think. What makes it terrible is being pulled from those you love. As you see ... " Tannin said, holding his hands out.

"You've not got a family to lose." Rixix nodded, "What would you do?"

Tannin thought quietly for a moment, staring into the fire as his mind flicked around.

"I think if a Confessor were to take me as her mate, I would ask only one thing of her before she touched me." Tannin said, running a hand through her hair.

"Which would be?" Rixix asked.

"To have me as her only husband. Let me be the only one to make love to her. I know that once they touch me, it would make no difference how many husbands they have. I've seen what men do when touched by a Confessor, the love they feel for the Confessor." Tannin said, "It's not that bad in my opinion. I think men should be that devoted to those that they love."

"But what of yourself? You lose your sense of self and you live only for her. You would die for her at any moment and you can never say no to any of her commands." Rixix said quietly.

"And what of it? If she truly loves for you and cares for you ... then what is the problem with losing ones self for those that they love?" Tannin pointed out, "If she really cares, then no command from her would be unworthy of being asked and you would have no reason not to die for her."

"Very interesting. My young man, I think the spirits have brought us together." Rixix said, "Truly, finding one such as you must be intervention of the Creator."

"Why is that?" Tannin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That one ... young Jelah, she despises her life as a Confessor. She feels that every person she touches, she kills herself. That she is ruining and killing each life that she touches." Rixix said, "And because of that, she is already a year late on choosing a mate. Most Confessors take a mate based on their aspects, smart, strong, hale, courageous. With their powers, they find the first man that fills their wants and they take him."

"She hates her own life? Is that why she doesn't want to take a man?" Tannin said curiously, "She doesn't want to subject a child to this life?

"No, that's far from it. She doesn't want love like the other Confessors have. She sees the love a touched man gives to a Confessor to be slavery. To be forced and ugly in it's entirety." Rixix said, pointing idly at Jelah, "So she refuses to take a man unless they agree whole heartedly to love her before she touches them."

"Why must she touch them? Why do the Confessors have to touch a man? Can they not love like normal people?" Tannin asked.

"No, they can't. You see when a Confessor is in the act of making love and they feel that passion ... inside them ... they lose control of the power. Naturally the one they are making love to would feel the full force of their power." Rixix said, "Jelah is not a strong Confessor, she is in fact weaker than most ... often her powers don't completely destroy her target's mind. They are completely obedient to her, yes, but they often retain their personality. But she is no different in body when it comes to being a Confessor. The pleasure of it would cause her to release her powers as all Confessors do."

"Release? Can she not hold it?" Tannin said, tasting the soup.

"A Confessor's power is like a wildfire. It must be contained and well taken care of. Anytime it is let lose, the one they are touching is subject to it. That is why they are trained from a young age to not let go of that power through anything. Through any pain or agony. But there is one thing they cannot teach them to contain the power through." Rixix said, letting his voice trail off.