Town & County Confidential Ch. 03

Story Info
Solution; dirty Agents fail to beat the Iron Crowbar.
12.6k words
4.79
7.1k
5

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/23/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

This story is written for the 'The 2021 "Hammered: an Ode to Mickey Spillane" Author Challenge' challenge. It is based upon the characters in my 'Iron Crowbar' Detective series. Please read 'Film Noir' for more on Russ Ferrament.

Part 13 - Cops and Robbers

I keep a lot of long nights, and not just with women. It's part of the job. And somehow I feel more at home during the hours Conan Doyle said were when the Powers of Evil were at their most exalted. I can't see what's sneaking up on me, but my prey can't see what's sneaking up on them, either...

11:40pm, Thursday, October 8th. I was in my office getting paperwork done, when my Police iPhone rang. It was Captain Tanya Muscone, who asked me to come to Classroom 'E'.

"Whassup?" I asked as I entered the room. Then I realized that Tanya's face was 'not perky', and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle had a full-bore 'Teresa Cunt' look on her normally attractive features. "Uh oh. What happened?" I asked.

"Joan Laurer just called in on her Police cellphone, rather than use the radio." Tanya reported. "She and Roark Coleman were staking out our target location on the northside. They observed some things that they think might've been the beginning of trouble, and then this happened." She nodded toward the screen, then started a video, which was the dashcam of the car Laurer and Coleman had been in.

"Oh. My. God." I said as we watched Officer Justin Hendricks swerve across traffic into the parking lot of the convenience store and then go inside. Then I was shown the recording of the internal video cam, and Hendricks taking considerable time looking at and getting snacks. Tanya sped up the tape until Hendricks brought his purchases of potato chips and Coca-Cola to the counter.

"He left right at 11:30pm." said Teresa. "Joan called it in on her cellphone, and I'm glad she did; Hendricks would have access to Channel 3 Encrypted Radio. After Hendricks left, I had them come on back in. They're doing their reports at their desks right now."

"Also, sir," Teresa continued, "Hendricks is on first shift. He's not supposed to be on patrol during second shift, and he was neither assigned to nor authorized a double shift."

"Tanya," I said, "go get Laurer and Coleman and bring them to my office. But first, load the tapes onto the evidence servers, so I can access them from my office... and also so we'll have it on record. Teresa, do you know where Hendricks is now?"

Teresa said "He turned off his regular GPS in his vehicle, another violation of standard operating procedures and policies, but Intel was tracking the hidden GPS in the vehicle that he doesn't know about, and can't be turned off. It looks like he went home, which is not very far away from the location of the stakeout. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he'll say he just stopped into that store on his way home."

"It's not on his direct path home," I replied, "and from what I'm seeing on the monitor here, he was patrolling around in his Police cruiser for a while right in that area. Teresa, have some Uniformed Officers go over there and pick him up and bring him in..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:00 midnight, becoming Friday, October 9th. Detectives Joan Laurer and Roark Coleman were in the 'hot chairs' in front of my desk, with Tanya in her wheelchair between them. All four of us were drinking coffee as we went over the tapes as well as the digital photographs Joan had downloaded from her camera.

I said "Intel says the car tag on that brown Camry was reported stolen six weeks ago from the parking lot of a nightclub in the southeastern part of Town, so that in itself is a red flag. Tell me again what the woman that went into the store looked like?"

Joan Laurer said: "Just as a fleeting impression, she looked young, and maybe Hispanic. I didn't get a really good look at her, and I apologize for not getting a photograph. I didn't realize right away that she was carrying a full grocery sack into the store."

"You did observe that, though, and quickly. And that's very good." I said, complimenting her. "Unfortunately, she never showed up on the store camera. She apparently stayed near the door. Coleman, what did you observe?"

"Sir, I was looking at the traffic." replied Coleman. "I was watching for that SUV I'd seen a couple of times earlier. And it had just shown up and looked like it was going to turn into the parking lot when Hendricks flew in like a bat out of hell. The SUV didn't turn into the parking lot, but went straight through the intersection. I never could get a plate."

"If it was involved, that plate was likely stolen, too." I said. "But... yeah! It looks like Intel was right, and this may have been the place that was going to be hit tonight------"

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door to the office opened to reveal Lt. Commander Croyle. "Sir," she reported, "Hendricks's vehicle is parked at his apartment building. But there was no response when Johnson and Meir knocked on the door."

"Are they still there, at the apartment?" I asked quickly.

"Yes sir, they're in their Patrol cruiser in front of the building." Teresa replied.


"Contact them via cellphone, and not on the radio." I said. "Tell them to stay there and watch the apartment. If Hendricks shows up, have them bring him in. In the meantime, send someone to get a warrant to enter Hendricks's apartment, and if he's there drag his fat ass down here to the Station under arrest."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "What's the probable cause for the warrant?"

"Material witness warrant." I replied. "And the Night Court magistrate usually doesn't make us go through hoops to get a warrant, so start out vague." Teresa nodded, and closed the door behind her as she left.

"Okay, then." I said. "Coleman, unless Captain Muscone needs you for something, go get your paperwork done and then you can go home. Laurer, you and Captain Muscone stay here for a moment."


"You heard him, Coleman." Tanya said with a grin. "Get going while the getting is good."

"Yes ma'am." said Coleman. He quickly exited the office.

"Okay, Joan," I said, "I observed that you were very uncomfortable while we've been talking here tonight, and that discomfort increased when Coleman was talking. Is there a problem with him? Something that you need to tell me?"

"Uhhh..." Laurer said, having been taken completely off guard. "Er, I'm not a snitch, sir."

"Point taken." I said. "So tell me what it's about, anyway."

Joan recounted how Coleman had been in Teresa's office, then on the stakeout. "His attitude towards the whole thing really bothered me, sir. Not that I'm perfect, but I thought he was unprofessional to even question the assignment, and then his comments about being in MCD and not wanting to do stakeouts really rankled me. He should've just kept his mouth shut and done the job."

"I hear you." I said. "Thank you for telling me, and for your own good examples of professionalism. And seeing that woman with the sack at the store really was an excellent observation. Okay, go get your paperwork done and go home and get some sleep." Joan did not have to be asked twice, and left the office quickly.

"Dayum!" Tanya exclaimed. "You observed that just sitting there? Geez, sir..."

"Magicians shouldn't tell their tricks," I said with a grin, "but in truth, I observed it because I was looking for it. When you showed me the footage from their dashcam, the volume was way down, but was not completely off. I could hear Coleman bitching, and Joan is so professional that I figured it offended her. So I hit her with it and asked straight out, and she came correct with the story."

"Do you want me to say something to Coleman?" asked Tanya. "Or do you have some discipline in mind?"

"I most certainly have discipline and a lot more in mind for that fat bag of shit Hendricks." I replied sourly. "As for Coleman, we'll monitor him for now, and see if there's a problem there..."

Part 14 - Media Matters

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, October 9th, from the KXTC studios. "The Town & County Police continue to fail to solve a series of convenience store holdups!"

After the 'hard charging' music intro, Bettina began: "Commander Donald Troy and the Town & County Police have failed to make any tangible progress in solving a series of convenience store robberies in the largely Hispanic areas of the County, and Civil Rights leaders are becoming angrier at the lack of attention being given to them. Democrat candidate for Mayor Eldrick X. Weaver, who many say was defrauded of his rightful win in the last Mayoral race, has demanded a meeting with Police Commander Donald Troy to discuss Commander Troy's failure to act to bring the robbers to justice. Neither the Town & County Police nor Commander Troy personally responded to repeated requests by KXTC Channel Two News on the matter."

Bettina: "And now let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for an important story on the Public Safety Department's leadership. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde reporterette from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with TCPD Headquarters in the background. "Channel Two News has learned that Police Captain of Detectives Tanya Perlman Muscone will be nominated to replace Cindy Ross as Deputy Chief. Ross is retiring and subsequently taking a position in the Sheriff's Department."

Amber: "The nomination to Deputy Chief will require the approval of the Town & County Council, as the Police Deputy Chief is considered to be a Principal for the County, and can sign binding contracts on behalf of the County. But Commander Donald Troy should not consider the nomination of Captain Perlman to be rubber-stamped by the Council. We are joined now by Town & County Councilwoman Susan Weston, a former Police Captain herself."

Susan Weston was shown on a split-screen with Amber, who said "Councilwoman Weston, do you support the nomination of Tanya Muscone to the Deputy Chief position?"

"No I do not, Amber." said Weston. "Captain Muscone is a paraplegic, and I've been told by a number of people that she has done a very poor job as Captain of Detectives as a result of her handicap. We will also be correct to question her qualifications for the job with regard to the Budget and the financial issues the Deputy Chief is expected to fully understand."

Amber: "What about Deputy Chief Cindy Ross moving to the Sheriff's Department? The TCPD and the Sheriff say it's a lateral move that doesn't require Council approval. Do you agree with that?"

"No, Amber." said Weston. "Even if it were an actual transfer, I would not agree with that, and would join my fellow Council members in suing the Public Safety Department over it. But in this case, Deputy Chief Ross is retiring from the Police, as is her right as a Medal of Valor recipient, and is then being hired by the Sheriff's Department. We believe that makes Council approval a necessity."

"Thank you, Councilwoman Weston." Amber said brightly. "Back to you, Bettina!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"For God's sake." muttered Police Chief Sean Moynahan as he, Sheriff Griswold, me, Captain Muscone, Deputy Chief Ross, and Lt. Commander Croyle drank coffee and watched in the Chief's Conference Room. "We haven't even formally nominated Captain Musconnnnne... yet."

"Pre-emptive strike by Weston." growled Griswold grumpily. "She's hated Tanya for years, since the time they were both on the Police Force."

"And don't believe her bullshit that Tanya was doing a bad job." I said, seeing the look on Tanya's face Weston had said that. "I think Weston made that up purely as a cheap shot. The job you've done, Tanya, has been stellar for walking people, and is all the more impressive with you in that wheelchair. And our first-class Intel Branch was born as an idea in your head, if memory serves me correctly."

"Thank you, sir." Tanya said. Teresa put her arm around Tanya in a hug.

"Are they right that I have to be approved for the move to the Sheriff's Department, Sheriff?" Cindy Ross asked.

"I'm afraid so." replied the Sheriff. "I was ready to give those bastards a Court fight over the lateral transfer, but they do have a point about the retirement and rehiring."

Teresa said "Getting that approval should be easy enough, shouldn't it?"

"I don't know." said the Sheriff. "And neither is Tanya's promotion. It may not be along Party lines, either. I remember that Republican John Colby had to be convinced to allow Tanya back on the Force as a Captain. Flip side of that is that Democrat Melinda Adams is a strong women's advocate, and even outgoing Reginald B.F. Lewis gained a lot of respect for Tanya over time."

"And Weston hates Tanya's guts." I said. "And she will be fighting her promotion with everything she's got. She might do some good old-fashioned political 'horse trading' in order to scuttle the nomination. I would think Cindy's transfer would be a fait accompli, though."

"Well, it's a moot point." said the Chief. "Sooooo, to change the subject... what happened with Hendricks last night?"

"He wasn't at home." Teresa said. "He parked his Police cruiser outside his apartment but apparently did not go inside. We had a patrol sitting there all night to get him when he came back, but he managed to get into his vehicle and drive into work this morning without them seeing him, so I now have two Patrol Officers from Third Shift that are going to have to explain how they let the Fat Boy get past them."

"That may actually be for the best." I said. "The first thing he's going to do is demand a Union Rep, and they tend to prefer being called during daylight hours instead of in the dead of night..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:15am, Friday, October 9th. After watching the Fox Eight News morning show, Teresa, Tanya, Cindy, and I began the 'Angels Meeting' in my office.

Teresa asked "Why didn't KFXU talk about the way Judge Nance released those women, and your rescue of them?"

Tanya said "The Feds asked them to bury it, and unlike those pricks at KXTC, the KFXU guys agreed. The reason was so that the Feds could get those women into Witness Protection and go after more Cartel members without asshole reporters like KXTC's crew hounding them and exposing their Agents."

I said "I hate it, too. That was a chance to expose Judge Nance for his harmful decisions from the Bench with the Election coming up in November. But I understand why the Feds wanted to bury it, and why KFXU agreed to hold off on reporting about it. Okayyyyy, what's going on in Chief Moynahan's Police Force today?"

"I'm going to go finish the Budget, so that you guys can get paid next year." said Cindy, getting up. She suited the deed to the word, and exited the office.

Teresa started: "The big issue today is Justin Hendricks. He will be brought here by other Officers after Roll Call at the Precinct. He's going to be grounded, and not permitted to drive a Police vehicle without someone else in the car, but we've tried that before and he's grieved it, so I expect he'll grieve it again. This guy is harder to get rid of than Sharples and McCombs put together."

Sharples and McCombs were dirty Officers that we finally got rid of after a seemingly Herculean effort. Sharples was later convicted of murder in the first and executed by the State for that crime.

"Why does the Union always protect the worst dirtbags the hardest?" Tanya asked, exasperation in her voice.

"I've asked myself that more times than I can count." I replied. "And to be candidly honest, I don't think we'll get him for this one, either, though we may can get him grounded and put on desk duty------"

*BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!*

It was the Duty Desk, buzzing me to say that Hendricks and his escort Officers had arrived...

Part 15 - The Union vs. The Slenderman

"You can never trust a policeman. As soon as you think he's okay, he turns legit." said a very smart dame once upon a time. Probably Mae West. Anyhoo, there is nothing dirtier than a dirty cop with a badge and a gun, and they're harder to get rid of than cockroaches when they have a dirty Union supporting them. Dirty cops are a major reason why I carry slugs of bourbon in my flask and wear armor to intercept their slugs fired from their powerful handguns.

Back in the old days of the gumshoe cops and dime novelists like Spillane, there was very little technology. Paper records, fingerprints on paper and by tape, powder, and done by hand, radios that operated on the Citizens Band (CB). Yeah, those were the days of guys like me, Russ Ferrament. Today? Ain't technology wonderful! But one thing has remained the same: crowbars are made the same way, and it still hurts to get hit by one...

Officer Justin Hendricks was brought to the Main Conference Room. Sitting on the far side of the table were myself, Lt. Commander Croyle, and Lt. Commander Ted Orosco of Internal Affairs. Orosco had been a longtime Agent in the State Bureau of Investigation before being hired as the TCPD's Internal Affairs leader. He was honest, which is a lot more than I can say for many longtime SBI Agents.

Hendricks sat down in a chair on the other side of the table from us without being invited to, and said "I want a Union Rep."

"You weren't asked to sit down." Teresa Croyle said.

"I want a Union Rep." said Hendricks again, making no effort to stand back up.

I sent a text on my Police iPhone, and an instant later a Union Rep in a three thousand dollar suit was admitted into the room by my assistant Helena. Yeah, I'd already called the Union and told them to send someone, and I was a bit surprised at how quickly they did so. He sat down next to Hendricks.

I opened a folder and brought out a number of photographs, and said "These photos are from videocameras in areas northwest of Town. With the timestamps, we've traced your general route from about 10:30 to just after 11:00pm. Why were you driving around in a Police cruiser at that time, in a manner to suggest you were on patrol?"

"There's nothing wrong with that." said the Union Rep.

"I beg to differ." I replied. "He wasn't on duty. He's assigned to first shift, and he was neither asked nor authorized to be on duty during second shift hours. He was driving a TCPD vehicle, burning the TCPD's gasoline, and driving in either an aimless manner or in a manner of patrolling, neither of which is authorized nor allowed."

"You drive your Police vehicle on your own time all the time." replied the Union Rep.

"This isn't about Commander Troy." Teresa said menacingly. "This is about Officer Hendricks, so your attempt to make the relevance excuse won't cut it here."

"I will add," I added, "that I am authorized to drive my Police SUV in a manner that Hendricks is not, because of threats to my life, including the time my last vehicle was ambushed and shot up to hell, with me in it." (Author's note: 'Casting Aspersions', Ch. 03-04.)