All Comments on 'TRC - Lord of the Glass Desert Ch. 02'

by BluDraygn

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenover 3 years ago
New Territory

Hopeful Kal is keeping up with his vigilance and his wards. Unprepared, he'll die as easy as any other man.

As for his culture shock, as understandable as his reaction is... Using just the example he provided, I'd imagine that if you gave most any blacksmith *enough* money, they'd part with their apprentice. Its not necessarily the system that is wrong, merely those that would abuse it. And those that would, will always find a way to do what evil they are compelled to. Though, the labels and the mentality that breaks down even people into commodities is... souring in my opinion.

Thank you so much for this next chapter. Not nearly as rough as the first, but you can still feel that edge to it. No more distance left, but still far too much time. Kal's going to get himself in trouble, and I'd bet he manages it even before one who has marked him, finds him. ^.^ Poor guy.

BluDraygnBluDraygnover 3 years agoAuthor

"culture shock" I do want to mention quickly that the idea of "race" in TRC (where there are things like dwarves, elves, and Monster Girls) is different from the concepts we have here on earth. Humans are just humans, and their varying cultures are dependent upon ancestral geography, not "race" as we currently think of it. Humans whose ancestors lived in equatorial, sun-drenched climes will have darker skin than those from more tempreate areas. Kal is running across some of these people for the first time, hence his reaction. I will be putting a note on the beginning of the next chapter explaining in further detail.

@jzp007ahren

Interesting point about the apprentice and very true in the manner you mentioned. My personal take is that an apprentice would be treated as a successor, carrying on the craftsman's skill to the next generation and thereby giving the blacksmith a degree of immortality as his teachings are passed down. This would make an apprentice far more valuable than a slave which is seen as a living, breathing tool.

jpz007ahrenjpz007ahrenover 3 years ago
Ya yah

Us vs them takes on a new meaning and focus when "them" are those that were literally created artificially with known history stretching back before their existence. Though its possible the current irl generations will usher in a similar age if all these scifi stories and scientific articles come to a fantastic conclusion. A.G.I. and all that ^.^

All for reading more about Kal's experience. Just offered my own personal 2 cents about it. As a story element, and one soaked throughout human culture, slavery can be a fascinating tool. I just also share Kal's distaste for it as an institution. And while I gave some justifications and quibbling previously, I wholehearted believe that Kal is correct in his relationships not being slavery. Not just because of how he feels about it, but also because, no matter how devoted to him his women are: if he were to become someone unworthy of their love, by behaving as the kind of person he expects of these 'bad men'. I would struggle to accept them not... dealing with him. Maybe permanently. Because as slavish to him as they consider themselves, they are strong-willed monstergirls and women. Part of their love for him is because of his return of it, dare I say one of the foundational pillars.

Oh definitely on the mark there with the apprentice/ tool comparison. A great craftsman always takes care of their tools well. So, it could be nothing more than that, but in some of the yellow corners of my heart, I hope for goodness to take root and spread. If for no other reason than things becoming a numbers game. If slavery and monstergirls are so commonplace, but every monstergirl has magical power equivalent to those rare few mages (though actual mages can obviously grow more powerful and versatile), it would only take a wayward spark to ignite a powder keg of... _terrible_ revolution. Tit for tat, and all that. Although doing the right thing as a means to avoid potential bad consequences isn't quite an ideal society, I'm all for that random (hopefully habitual) act of kindness being what stops "bad" things from happening to good people in stories. Karma seems far less on point in the flesh than she can be on 'paper'.

Thanks again for your stories, and also for these little bits of chit-chat. Hope you and yours are well, and looking forward to the next chapter. So exciting!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Thanks again for letting me into your universe 👍

skippersdadskippersdadover 3 years ago

Very good as always , sad to hear about the girl and her father ,but he got someone back for it.

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

Still rolling along with this. 5

anubeloreanubeloreover 2 years ago

You...you...absolute...horses arse! You did that deliberately! We're not going to get to read about Perra's first time overcoming her trauma over anal sex, either, are we? *Joe Pesci style cursing and ranting*

Great chapter otherwise, ya dink. (He said, only half-jokingly)

Rhino77PIlotRhino77PIlot5 months ago

There you go again, edging us on the storyline. Fortunately I am a 'new' reader and will just click through to the next chapter.... ☺ Your story telling is getting better with each episode. Thank you.

NirosuNirosu2 months ago

I honestly expected the assassin mark thing to pretty much take place on the way back, just due to the knights prior info being that Kal is no where near the desert and any description given wouldn't be near enough to pinpoint a person with a completely different attire.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBluDraygn@BluDraygn
New story submitted! Beyond Worlds: Mis-taken Hero Ch 01 TRC Ch 43 will be coming right after this one, and posting these two together is part of the reason I only submitted the one chapter last month. Also, a new The Witch's Offering chapter is up on Patreon, as is the sta...