Treasure Ch. 66-70

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,303 Followers

Sawyer turned off the recorder. "I have to take other statements and verify yours before I make any decisions on charging you. I give you my word it will be expedited if charges are brought, that's the best I can do."

"Thank you."

"What do you want to do about your mate?"

He looked at his hands. "If I'm to be killed, I'd just as soon never see her again to spare her the pain. The longer we spend around each other, the harder it would be when I'm gone. She's been hurt enough in her life without that."

"You might not even be charged." If his statement was corroborated, he hadn't done anything wrong the Brotherhood hadn't already punished him for.

"I want her, I assure you of that. Could you let her know that, and why I am refusing to see her? It is not because I'm rejecting her, I'm protecting her," he said sadly.

"I will," Sawyer replied as he got up. "Return him to holding and bring the next man in, I've got a lot of people to talk to today." It took him all afternoon, and the stories checked out with the other men. He'd even called the Packs and interviewed the Theta who had stayed behind in charge of the Pack. He walked up to the Council members as they sat at dinner. "If I may, sirs," he said.

"Yes, Sawyer," Chairman Coffey said.

"Our preliminary investigation shows that none of the Betas or below ranks were involved in their Alpha's crimes," he said. "They all thought that their actions were legitimate ones taken at the direction of the Council at the time. I have not found reason to press charges with one exception."

"That exception?"

"The attack on humans in the RV outside Salt Lake City could be charged, but I would like to decline. The men involved have already been punished by the victims."

Charles laughed. "You mean the humans already beat the shit out of them." Sawyer nodded as the others chuckled. "I have no objection," he said.

"We agree," the Chairman said. "Let the men go, but they are to stay for the trial. Their Packs need to see and hear directly what they were involved in. Alpha Michael, is that all right with you?"

"I don't mind them attending the trial, but it would be a bad idea to have wolves who attacked our Pack to be hosted by it," he said. "We're already full up with visitors. Put them up in hotels, they can be escorted in and out for the trial. There are plenty of vehicles to do that."

The Council agreed, and he left with Alpha Michael to go across to give the men the terms of their release. In the hallway, he ran into Coral and Keith, who were finally out of their room and smelled like sex and each other, just like new mates should. He embraced them both, still so happy at the news. "Coral, can you have Connie meet me outside the security building?"

"Of course," she said, her eyes momentarily glazing over as she sent the message. "What is going on?"

"Her mate is being released, and I need to talk to her before he leaves," he said.

"Oh. I'll let Rori and Chase know too." They left the happy couple and walked outside.

A cold front had come through, dropping a few inches of snow onto the late October ground. Sawyer followed the host Alpha across to their security center, where they were allowed in. Alpha Michael briefed his men and the Council enforcers while Sawyer went to talk to the men in the holding cell. All were thrilled to be let out and agreed to the terms. It was the off-season, so there were rooms available in Two Harbors hotels and they would take care of travel to and from the plant. "You may travel as you wish in unclaimed land provided you follow the Council rules and avoid areas with humans if in wolf form," Sawyer told them. "Alpha Will Nygaard is still out there, he is a wanted fugitive, so if you come across him notify the Security center here and do not engage," he told them. The warrior from the Oxbow Lake pack handed out business cards with the number they would need. "You are not allowed on Oxbow or Arrowhead Pack land without an escort."

"How will we know the Arrowhead Pack lands," one of the men asked.

"Alpha Chase has run the perimeter and laid down markers," Sawyer said. He showed them on a map on the wall where it was. "If you want to run, do so in this National Park land, or this National Forest," he said showing them another area well away. The men were let out and walked to their vehicles, all except Steven. "I asked her to come outside. After that it is up to you." Sawyer shook his hand. "Good luck."

"Thank you, sir." He took a deep breath and walked out, one of the Oxbow wolves tailing him after being told what the situation was. He got outside, and his eyes immediately went to hers and he watched them get wide, with no small amount of fear. "Thank you for coming, Connie." He walked back towards the house, not crowding her, she followed keeping some distance. He kept going until they were on the wide front porch of the Pack House. He went all the way to the back, trying to give her some privacy as well as an escape route. He sat down in one of the chairs, smiling and hoping she would sit across from him.

She didn't. "What do you want with me," she said in a quiet voice that broke his heart.

"I want to get to know the person Luna has made to be my other half," he said.

"I'm not worth the effort," she said as she looked away from his piercing gaze. "I'm damaged goods, not fit for anyone. I'm sure you've asked about me, and you know that to be true."

"I did ask about you, mostly to find out why you ran when you obviously recognized who I was to you. I am not disappointed, and I have faith that what Luna's gift can do is more powerful than what life has already done to us. I don't expect you to forget your life to this point, you can't, just as I can't forget all that I wish had I had done differently. I wish we had found each other a century ago when we came of age, but it was not to be."

"What do you want," she asked again with her eyes down.

"I want to get to know you," he said. "Slowly, as you are comfortable, I want to spend time with you and learn about you as you learn about me. I'm not being charged, I won't be killed. I've already given up my Pack and my rank. I have nothing, I'm technically a rogue. The only thing that matters in my life, the only thing that gives me hope, is sitting seven feet away from me right now." She started shaking, and he knew his next words would push her away or pull her closer. "I will not take you from your friends, I will not force you to do anything, even love me. I am not that kind of man. If you choose, I will leave and never bother you again, but I pray to Luna you just give this old wolf a chance to find love with you."

She started to cry, not just tears but heaving sobs that broke his heart. Taking a chance, he moved out of his seat and got on his knees in front of her, pulling her into a hug as he comforted her. "It's going to get better," he promised as she broke down on his shoulder.

The bond was working its magic between them, and her heart began its process of healing as she relaxed into the safety of his strong arms.

partwolf
partwolf
2,303 Followers