All Comments on 'Trial by Fire'

by blackrandl1958

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 5 years ago
It's always good to have Randi's stories available.

No one writes this sort of story better than she! Thanks for posting this one again! Great story telling.

PiperHamlinPiperHamlinalmost 5 years ago
Had me at Missouri

Or as we say here, Misery. 19 pages that were a brisk read. I give the Katniss salute. As areader and a writer I am in awe.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Such a great story

The amount of detail, the wonderful characters, the world spanning disaster. Simply one of the best.

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07almost 5 years ago
Excellent

Very, very well done. A thoroughly entrancing story done by a master story teller.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Brilliant as usual

Hi Randi,superb as ever.5*Cheers,Malcolm

dwoelfledwoelflealmost 5 years ago
What a great journey

Loved it.

steeltiger01steeltiger01almost 5 years ago

Randi, your skill as a storyteller leaves me in awe. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

This was a masterpiece of the disaster genre. A little history, a little archaeology, a little volcanology, a dollop of romance and season liberally with action ...fantastic!

tizwickytizwickyalmost 5 years ago
Great writing Masterfully Done

You are without a doubt one of finest and most prolific writers on Literotica! Thank you for sharing you work with us!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Creative, imaginative and amazing

The other commenters have said it well... a great story, thanks

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 5 years ago
Best story I have read in ages

on or off Literotica.

I think this needs to be a movie.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
You are a writer!!!

I have never read any of your early works but this is an apocalyptic book reduced down to 19 Lit pages. You should expand this and any other stories like it into books and put it on Amazon books. This story shows how wide a range you have as a writer and I think you would do well on Amazon.

Crusader235Crusader235almost 5 years ago
Whatta

Whatta great, and exciting adventure you took us on! Five Stars just ain't enough. Thank you Randi.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionalmost 5 years ago
Excellent post-apocalyptic story

Really good build up to the cataclysm and the early aftermath, great characters, evil villain, and series of incidents and even a glimmer of hope at the end.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 5 years ago
Second time

Was just as good as the first. It is a great story even if you still remember how it goes. No question you are a great writer and this one is a classic. Glad that you re-posted it and, as always, thanks for sharing.

UncleGrahamUncleGrahamalmost 5 years ago
You did WHAT?

You took it DOWN? You nearly deprived us newbies of one of the best stories ever on Lit. Five stars and an immense favourite.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 5 years ago
Amazing!

The best I’ve read in a long time. Great writing based on solid research. This one has a lot of characters, and a lot of great character development. I’ve read a lot of SciFi, and I sincerely think this is better than most works by the most famous and respected authors of the genre.

DoctimeDoctimeover 4 years ago
Kudos

An epic tale. Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
WOW

Outstanding. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

That was a truly awesome story. I really enjoyed being pulled into their world as it fell apart around them. So glad you reposted so we could all feel the story. Keep up the fantastic writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
ThankYou!!

Your "Danni" charector was wonderful!

I would love for you to continue her saga. In this post apocalyptic world, if I read you correctly, the worst has yet to reach Grenada (both people & weather)! Sure sounds

like there is more story to be told!

Thanks again.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 4 years ago

A very well written tale.

I see the possibility of a sequel...

bob4300sbob4300salmost 4 years ago
Fantastic Story

I have been reading every one of your stories, alphabetically. So by now I know (and enjoy) your style. This one caught me by a very pleasant surprise. Your description of the volcano becoming non dormant gave it almost a human like life. I thought I was reading Clive Cussler. You did a fantastic job!

ranec1ranec1over 3 years ago
Mean As!!

chur m8 awsum story

⭐⭐⭐⭐

mharrisonmharrisonover 3 years ago

Very well written.

Really enjoyed it - please keep on writing great stuff like this.

inbigjimflinbigjimflover 3 years ago

I enjoyed your story and what would happen if something like a major volcano erupted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
OH MY GOSH

That is 1 of the best stories I have read. It was awesome so well thought out n put together. Please continue I great work it is very appreciated and enjoyed.

greenday0418greenday0418over 3 years ago
Very Nice

I read it in two sittings, my night pills kicked in and I fell asleep holding my laptop. Woke up in the AM and finished reading. The detail was excellent. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Escape

Great story read it all the way through in 2 goes. The wife and I have been looking at Uruguay as our new home base in the near future. Hopefully not to escape a major geological disaster but our government is almost as big of a disaster. Keep up the great work and please drop in if you ever get to Uruguay.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I want to start by saying that you, Blackrandel1958, are my favorite author on this site, and I am now in the process of reading ALL of your stories. They are always well thought out and your characters develop throughout the stories as they progress and I frequently hear their voices as people I have known. In this case, Reagan's voice became that of my father, who was 6'2" about 185lbs, but it was solid muscle. He too was a gentle man, unless you angered him, which was not easy, OR you threatened his family.

Now, the "editorial comment". I spent 30 years teaching History, English, and Government, that, after 17 years in the USMC. I ALWAYS tried to teach my students about the "Vanier" or civilization, that it is only as deep as the next major trauma. Your story, which is absolutely THE BEST I have read on this site, is the perfect illustration of that vanier we call humanity and civilization. That powerful, evolutionary trait of self preservation will surface when that other skin, we call government, is unable to provide the control that is needed by the mass of humanity that inhabits this planet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Hi Randi. BJ again

From my own BA studies in Geography, I know for a fact that this story required A LOT of research about a wide variety of subject, like the drifting of continents, subduction, volcanology, weather conditions and countless other issues including environment, composition of the Earth, extent of devastation derived from such a gigantic cataclysm. By the way, the explosion of Yellowstone Park volcano would be such a disaster.

There would also be tremendous economic-political-social consequences, etc. The world as we know it would cease to exist. Unfortunately, there will always be some Senator Johnson or some other government "officials" lurking around to benefit personally from the misery and despair of others. Tens of millions of living beings would be at risk and decimated in massive numbers.

All of this research add a tremendous amount of credibility to this fast pace story. Thank you for your fertile and versatile imagination that allows you to weave so much content in this writing. This is one of your stories that contain the least amount of erotics, but it has so much love of family, of life and of survival. I have already read it twice and this is one story that I do not hesitate to recommend. I will come back to it again and again. This is most certainly a solid 5 stars +++. Thx

BJ

argeelogargeelogover 2 years ago

Outstanding !! Thank you. 5 + stars.

drycreeksdrycreeksabout 2 years ago

When i started reading this it seemed like i had read it b4 n yes i had but i gave it another go and it was just as good the 2nd time around. U r n awesome writer some of these stories could b expanded into books. Job well dome thanks for ur hard work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I can’t even imagine the research that went into this story. There are some really awesome writers in this community, and you are among the 3 or 4 best. I have yet to read one of your story and be anything but delighted. Keep em coming.

Seghill_ZombieSeghill_Zombieabout 2 years ago

Another excellent read from Randi. I believe the story was originally taken down when it was published on Amazon. Anyone wishing to recompense Randi for the effort she has put into this story should know that the eBook is still available for purchase from Amazon, along with a couple of others, for the princely sum of 4 quid (about $5). Well worth it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Amazing skills to pull that one off. The sad part is that the circumstances of climate/earth changes are not so far from coming true anymore, especially with economic instability and military conflict. Hard to be so positive about the future for the kids.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Been a Sydney fan for a while now, bought Trial by Fire and Eye in the Sky for my Kindle, read both books multiple times, not surprised you've got Harddaysknight on your shoulder. Thanks, Tony from UK

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thank you for reposting the story! We loved your whole literary work and greatly appreciate your efforts and dedication put into developing and writing it. Adventure, drama, suspense and mystery, developing romance and love, never ending support and heartfelt love, and so much more!!! We loved it❤️❤️

How true to state and reinforce that so many learned individuals are so quick to dismiss credible researched possibilities and confirmed facts.

Then we have the egomaniacs who are on their own path of self satisfaction at all costs, regardless of the fallout damage and destruction to innocent others. We see and hear that everyday in the news.

Gotta Go Now! Living here in SOCAL, we have to check our earthquake supplies and close proximity fault zones!

You sparked so much food for thought as we have always known the possible ramifications of the BIG one. Looking forward to having beach property afterwards - if we’re still around?

Your very accomplished and so well written.

SW

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 1 year ago
Well written story; one detail represents a flaw in the narrative

Lots of locks up and down the Mississippi that won’t work without power and people to operate them. That said, the Senator is evil personified…

Archie58Archie58over 1 year ago

This is well developed. Love the thoughtful plot. Read way too far/late into the morning.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very good tale written by an author who knows her subject.

50 some years ago I was an Earth & Space major at a very good university. This tale followed the science very well so was totally plausible which made for a 4 AM read for two nights.

Again, nothing but 5 stars.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Spectacular. I had never heard of the San Juan volcanic field nor La Garita. It was nice to read someone familiar with the Farrollann Plate. Some believe the New Madrid quake was a result of the remnants of the plateovimg under the North American plate. Your understanding of the role of water in transforming mas into various minerals was spot on. A tour de force. Congratulations.

minnygopherminnygopher9 months ago

01 August 2023

***** for an absolutely superb read. Alternately suspenseful and tender, always well-researched, Randi has given us another gem of a story.

In case anyone is wondering (and answering gatorhermit below), the Thayer party commandeered the tug and barge near Cairo, Illinois, which is roughly 190 river miles downstream from the southernmost lock and dam (~6 miles north of St. Louis) on the Mississippi River.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker9 months ago

All I can say is. Plz don't retire from writing here for awhile plz.. you've had me and others hooked on Your story's.. I think we would end up rereading everything you wrote if u left🤷 .I like others can't write a story; only read them . If there good.. yours are Great.. thanks for what you e wrote this far.. hopefully you'll still write more for us to enjoy! If not then good luck with whatever you do.. thks again 👍👍😉😁👍

NIGHTW1NGNIGHTW1NG9 months ago

This is one of my all time favorite stories. Thanks, Randi for reposting it!

IndyOnIndyOn8 months ago

Another Outstanding Story! *5*

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

One of the most amazing stories that I have ever read. You write like a mainstream writer. You could easily be one. Your research in any subject you decide to write on, is absolutely amazing. With your writing style, your varied and outstanding plots, your thorough research, you are a complete writer. I have myself written books, so I know what it needs to be a good writer. You have my admiration. All I can say is please keep writing and keep entertaining us.

AnonymousAnonymous21 days ago

Prescient Masterpiece. With Global Climate Change altering our lives towards Mass Extinction, this novelette is similar in its crises depiction and towards recovery. Great imagination, research and writing. Civilization crumbling after man made plus natural disasters was as vivid as Ursula K. Le Guin's, "Earth Sea Chronicles. "...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userblackrandl1958@blackrandl1958
I find it necessary to make some statement. I own my stories. They belong to me. I created them, the plot, the characters, the dialogue, the narration, all created by me. I retain copyright to them. No one has my permission to duplicate parts or all of my stories, either in te...

SIMILAR Stories