Trials of a Planeswalker Ch. 01: Rising

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The inn was no more populated than that, having only a pair of drunks slumped over one of the back tables. A fire crackled in a stone hearth and the innkeeper idly tossed a knife a nearby empty barrel.

"Can we get something to eat?" Varia asked.

"Sure. We have soup. Four silver for two bowls." The innkeep said. Varia responded by tossing a number of coins on the counter. Blayne groaned and shook his head, only wondering what poor schmuck got their pocket picked by her.

"So we're travelers from quite far away. Anything you can tell us about these parts?" Varia asked the innkeeper as they sat down at the desolate bar.

"It's Otaria. Nothing has happened here since the wars years ago. We're just living our lives." The innkeeper said flatly as he spooned up two bowls of what looked like brown gruel. He dropped them before Varia and Blayne without ceremony and quickly swiped the silver from the counter. A few bites of the soup quickly told them that it tasted as bad as it looked. Something akin to liquified meat mixed with gristle and dirt mixed in for good measure.

"Are there any wizards around these parts?" Blayne asked, putting the worn pewter spoon down.

"Just the old fool living in the tower. Never really bothers anyone anyway, just keeps to themselve and barely ever comes out." The innkeeper waved idly as he retrieved his dagger from the barrel and stepped back to throw it again.

"Well thanks for the food." Blayne lied and they quickly left.

"One old codgering wizard and you want to meet him, don't you?" Varia said flatly once they were outside.

"Varia, it's the best thing to do. Think of it this way. Wizards are smart. They tend to know things about their surroundings, about their worlds. They tend to study more than normal people. That's all perfect for learning about a new world. We don't even know what this world is called!" Blayne exclaimed as they walked across the dirt square and towards the wooden front door of the tower.

"Huh. That makes sense." Varia shrugged.

"I do occassionally." Blayne smirked and he knocked on the door. Nobody answered and he knocked again. A minute passed without so much as a noise.

"Check the knob." Varia said.

"Oh yes, because opening someone's door and walking in worked so well for me last time." Blayne huffed, stepping aside.

"Fine!" Varia exclaimed and she grabbed the doorknob. The door quickly opened at her touch and she stepped into the darkness. The tower, it seemed, was abandoned. Dust covered the floor and the torches were well past burnt out. Blayne followed her inside and the door squeaked closed.

"Hello?" Blayne called out, lighting a fire in his hand.

The flickering light lit up the large empty room and only showed them more dust. A ladder on the other side led up to a second floor.

"Ladies first." Blayne said, pointing at the ladder.

"If I was still wearing my skirt, I would smack you Blayne." Varia chuckled and shook her head before climbing the ladder. He snickered and followed her, enjoying the sight quite a bit anyway.

At the top of the ladder they found a much more likely space for someone to be living in, but it definitely didn't feel like a wizard's home. It had a large fireplace, a cosy bed and a dirty kitchen. Nothing was lit, but it had definitely been lived in recently. There was mold on the bread that sat on the counter, enough to indicate a time frame.

"What should we do?" Blayne asked as they looked around.

"I say we wait for an hour or two. You got me interested in meeting this wizard." Varia said, glancing over the dirty dishes and empty cupboards in the kitchen. The partial loaf of bread was all that was there. Blayne was busy inspecting the wooden-framed bed and the complete lack of clothing or other amenities around it.

"Alright, well if that's the case. I'm taking my pack off." Blayne said, sliding it from his shoulders.

He took a seat around the small dining table and pulled it open. Hidden in one of it's pockets was the music player Robin had given him. He didn't know how he would charge it out here so he hadn't bothered using it, but some music did sound good. Sticking to just one earbud so he could still hear, he reclined in the chair and listened to the bouncing tunes. His eyes followed Varia while she wandered idly around the room.

How was he so lucky that a woman who once hated him and tried to even kill him was now head over heels in love with him?

*******

CHAPTER 26 - PLANESWALKERS TRUTH

"So what are you doing with that thing?" Varia asked, looking down at the music player in his hands.

"It plays music. You do know what music is, right?" Blayne asked, looking up at her.

"Of course I know what music is!" Varia exclaimed, snatching the player from his hands. She pulled on the cord and plucked the headphones from his ears. Apparently the last half-hour of silence had worn apart her last nerve.

She put the headphones in her ears and frowned, apparently displeased with the soothing tones of the classical music he had been listening to. Blayne liked dramatic music and music that got his blood pumping. That meant his music player was a mix of hard rock and loud classical symphonies. The last had been a piece of piano work by Frederic Chopin.

"What kind of crap is this. It sounds like boring crap." Varia snapped, staring at the music player. She pressed the buttons randomly and apparently found the next key. Her eyes widened in surprise at the next song. He could hear the heavy tones of a deep bass loud drums that filled the start of a surging rock song.

She put her hands on either side of her head and she stood still, a look of shock on her face. The rock pounded in her ears and she gave a visible shudder. Black mana began to radiate from her and she looked up at Blayne. Her eyes were wild and her breathing grew heavier.

"Varia? Varia, are you okay?" Blayne asked and she didn't hear him. He reached up and pulled on the ear buds, pulling them out of her ears.

"Hey! Hey, don't do that!" Varia stammered, scrambling for the music.

"What is wrong with you?" Blayne said, "You spaced out there. Your magic started to get away from you."

"Because that music was so amazing! It was making my heart beat, made my blood boil! War songs like that could turn the tide of a battle! They could make an army's nerves turn to steel and their enemy's fear tear their minds apart!" Varia cried, her forehead glinting with sweat as she panted and her heart pounded hard as ever.

"War songs? That was just Ozzy. It was just music we listen to for fun." Blayne shrugged.

"Fun? With that kind of music you could rule a world! Your miltary would be unstoppable!" Varia exclaimed, scrambling for the headphones again, "Come on! I want to listen! I want to feel that again! I've never felt anything so powerful! It makes my heart pound like... like we're having sex! God I could have an orgasm listening to that!"

She stopped cold, the idea formulating in her head. In a split second, she started stripping her clothes off. Blayne stared in wide-eyed happiness as her top came off and her breasts bounced free. She pushed down her shorts, baring the black panties she wore beneath. She stepped forward and grabbed the headphones from him, sitting on his lap while she put them in her ears.

"Umm... Varia?" Blayne said, watching her slip the music player in her waistband, "We're in someone else's house. Come on!"

Varia pressed her head to Blayne's and stared deeply into his eyes, a pure hunger and lust in her own.

"Fuck me. Now." Varia growled, baring her teeth to him.

"Okay. Okay." Blayne stammered, cringing back from the ravenous look in her eyes.

She locked lips with him and rubbed her crotch against him. He kissed and ran his hands up her back, trying not to lean back too far as she pushed down on him. He had never seen her so ravenous except when the passion really struck her in the middle of past lovemaking. Her tongue slipped deep in his mouth and her fingers slipped through his hair.

Another push from her and the chair toppled over backwards. He grunted in pain when it slammed into the ground. Varia was barely ruffled by it though as she quickly climbed off him and went after his crotch. She pulled the front of his pants down and shoved the chair away, mounting his waist and pushing her panties aside. She sank down on his erection, moaning happily. The music pounded in her ears and she felt the ecstasy of sexy sear her nerves wildly.

"Oh god yes~!" Varia cried out, arching her back.

He felt her warm pussy envelop him and her insides shudder around his thick shaft. He had never seen her like this, so hungry and wild. Her hair flopped about as she bounced, her hands reaching up to run through it. Sweat beaded on her forehead and flicked off, evidence of her heat and passion.

"Varia, you're so hot..." Blayne grunted, his hands grabbing her his lightly.

She cried and bounced faster, lusting for the best orgasm of her life. Lost in the music, she didn't hear him moan. He thrust into her and her eyes went cross. In the wild passion of the spontaneous lovemaking, he came quickly, spurting hot semen into her. She moaned and an orgasm of epic proportions exploded through her. She hurled herself over backwards and collapsed on the floor, sliding off him easily. Her fingers dug into her palms as her body was rocked with climactic pleasure.

"You know, this is a very strange fetish." A woman said, standing over them in the dark.

"What? Whoa!" Blayne exclaimed in surprise at the sudden appearance of someone else, "Varia! Varia, get up!"

He scrambled to cover himself up and she made no quick motions. Her body lay inert, panting and weak on the ground.

"I mean, I've heard of exhibitionism, but breaking into someone's house and fucking on their floor?" The woman asked, a ball of fire appearing in her hand.

She threw it at the fireplace and lit the entire room with it's bright glow. The woman was hunched and wearing a heavy clock, giving the impresion of an older woman, although her voice didn't sound it.

"Varia, come on. Get up." Blayne said, taking the music player from her as he tossed her shorts on her stomach.

Varia saw the woman and her eyes widened in realization. She quickly scrambled to her feet and pulled on her shorts, trying quickly to make herself decent.

"So... so you are the one that lives here? The... The innkeeper made it sound like an old wizard lived here." Blayne said, pointing at her. She still faced the fire, her face hidden.

"Old? Wizard? Wrong on both accounts." The woman laughed.

She turned and straightened up, the hunch having been just an act. Bright orange eyes glowed from under the hood. She undid the clasp and let the hooded cloak fall to the ground. Underneath she wore torn and weathered black leather that covered her from head to toe. A heavy belt wrapped around her waist, studded every inche with a large metal orb. Thick, curly black hair spread down from her head and burnished silver goggles sat among the curls.

"I am Jaya Ballard!" The woman exclaimed with another laugh.

"I've heard that name before!" Blayne yelled suddenly.

"What?" Varia looked over at him, still shaken and trying to clear her head.

"Yea... when was it... where was it... oh come on, where have I heard that name..." Blayne grabbed his head, wracking his brain for the memory, "Regatha! That's it! You helped make Keral Keep on Regatha!"

"You're a Planeswalker!" Jaya exclaimed, her face one of mild surprise.

"Of course. We both are!" Varia said, grabbing Blayne's hand.

"How nice. Must be great to be able to travel the Blind Eternities with one you love." Jaya nodded, "So what are your names?"

"I'm Blayne. This is Varia." Blayne said, pointing at her.

"Well Blayne, Varia. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOME?!" Jaya screamed, fire surging up around her. An orange aura glowed dangerously around her hair and her hands burned with small tips of blue flame.

"Whoa! Hey!" Blayne yelled, stepping back in surprise.

"Do you two think it's just fun to break into someone's home?!" Jaya stepped forward, holding fire in her hands.

"Hey! Stop right there." Varia snapped, raising a hand towards Jaya.

"What do you... hey! Why can't I move!" Jaya yelled, fighting to try and move.

"I have control of the blood in your body." Varia warned, black mana making her eyes glow lilac.

"Look, we don't want trouble. You obviously know about Planeswalkers, we've come to this world because it felt like a becon in the dark. It was as if this world was the center of all creation or something." Blayne told her quickly.

"Of course it feels like that, because it is! Dominaria is the Nexus of the Multiverse! Let me go and I'll explain. It's apparent you two are very new to this. However, if you agree to help me, I will let you live and answer all the questions you have." Jaya said calmly, the fire disappearing from her hands.

"What makes you think you can ask anything of us?" Varia said pridefully.

"Because you told me already how you were controlling me and that means if I wanted to break that control, all I would have to do is light you on fire. Your concentration would break and I would kill you two before you could act. The point is that I find you two interesting and I need the help of a pair of skilled mages." Jaya said with a cheeky grin.

"Really? Somehow I doubt you could do anything. You can't even twitch a muscle." Varia sneered.

The chair lying on the ground spontaneously erupt into flames and Jaya raised an eyebrow. The fire went out after a second and Blayne put a hand on Varia's shoulder.

"Let her go. We'll help you." Blayne said.

"Good, now what would you like to know?" Jaya asked, grabbing a chair and smoothly flopping down in it.

"I... uhh... I don't really know what to ask. What does it mean that Dominaria is the Nexus?" Blayne asked.

"Dominaria is the center of all the Planes in the Multiverse. Mana is more easily replaced and generated here. It is also the key to all existence. Many postulate that it's loss would cause the destruction of all existence." Jaya explained.

"So what about you? What have you done as a Planeswalker?" Blayne wondered.

"I've spent a lot of time just wandering about. Recently I've been trying to break into this place on Urborg. It's an ancient stronghold from the Phyrexian-Dominarian war from four centuries ago. But back then we Planeswalkers were different, a lot more powerful." Jaya said with a shrug, "Sometimes I miss those times. Long, long time ago."

"How old are you?" Varia asked flatly.

"Uhh... give me a moment... it's currently 4606 here on Dominaria... I was born in 2910... just shy of seventeen hundred years old." Jaya said.

"Good fucking god!" Blayne exclaimed, "I'm only turned twenty-four just a little while back."

"And I'm twenty-two." Varia sighed.

"Planeswalkers were immortal before The Mending." Jaya explained.

"What?!" Blayne called, "What changed? I mean, what is this Mending? How did it change Planeswalkers."

"Well it changed the spark. But anyway, it was an accident by an ancient artificer Planeswalker by the name of Urza. A series of time rifts erupted over Dominaria, threatening all of existence. We managed to close them, but the chain reaction caused by the closure of the great rift forced the Multiverse as a whole to find a new balance with the Planeswalker spark. Our powers were severely reduced, life spans only reaching into the hundreds, not infinite. Our mana is no longer so far reaching and our bodies are no longer immortal." Jaya explained extensively.

"So Planeswalkers used to be immortal? Damn it!" Varia cursed in annoyance.

"I know. It kinda sucks. The last century since the mending I've seen myself age more than my ascension almost two millenia ago." Jaya groaned.

"That would explain why Planeswalkers are drawn to this plane so much. There's a history between us and this world." Blayne nodded, "So what is this place you've been trying to break into?"

"It's the tomb of an ancient nigh-god named Yawgmoth. An immense source of black mana and a horrifying scar in the Multiverse. Recently black mana has begun pouring forth from it and I want to find out why. I remember the horrors of Yawgmoth and I intend for them not to happen again." Jaya said, toying around with a fire between her fingers.

"Well this definitely wouldn't bode well for other planes. I think we'll help you." Blayne nodded.

"Good. Now get a good night sleep and we'll head out tomorrow." Jaya said, jumping to her feet.

"Wait, where did you just come from? Where have you been?" Varia asked curiously.

"I've been off talking with an old friend on Ravnica, Jhoira. She was a Planeswalker way back in Urza's time and she is ageless because of one of his experiments or something. I was asking her about Urborg and the Stronghold." Jaya shrugged.

"We just came from there." Blayne said and Jaya nodded.

"And did you learn anything?" Varia asked.

"I learned you two need to get some sleep, as do I. Talk more in the morning." Jaya said, flopping over in her bed.

"What? Just that?" Varia said flatly.

"Yea, pretty much." Jaya shoved her pants and boots off, kicking them on the floor. It was obvious to them that she had no sense of modesty as she was now naked from the waist down, bare ass shining in the firelight.

"Well where do we sleep?" Varia asked.

"There's quite a floor there." Jaya waved idly from her bed.

"Oh, well we have our bedrolls." Blayne shrugged.

Both of them unfurled their beds and laid down to sleep. It was strange moving between worlds and seeing the changing skies and trying to keep a sleeping schedule. Blayne could see the passage of time from his watch whenever he wound it, but it didn't stop it from being odd.

*******

"Get up you lazy asses. Six hours of sleep is enough." Jaya said, nudging Blayne with her boot, "We have a swamp to explore!"

"Ohhh... Not a fan of sleep, are you?" Blayne groaned, sitting upright in his bedroll.

"We've got work to do. You can sleep in on another day." Jaya said, pulling on a belt with a number of pouches on it.

"Well I remember nights that the wolves or vampires would attack just minutes after we fell asleep. In my home, a good night sleep was three hours." Varia yawned as she got up.

They collected their things and put their packs back on.

"So you mind if we fly wherever we're going?" Blayne asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Fly? No, we're going to get there quicker than that. There's a bonus to being a millennia old Planeswalker." Jaya said, tracing a finger on the ground around her. A small ring of fire sprung up from her touch. Magic poured from here and she held her hands out to here sides. "Stand near me."

"Teleportation magic?" Blayne asked.

"Oh yes. Very helpful spell." Jaya nodded as a glow began to shine up from the ring. Blayne stepped inside of it and held Varia's hand. There was a powerful warmth growing around them and strong uplifting feeling surging forth. In a blinding flash of fire, they rushed into a stream of pure mana. It carried them across Dominaria in a wild rush of powerful magic.

They landed with a sickening stop that pushed their stomachs into their throats. The light died as fire flickered lightly around their feet and the magic dissipated. Around them was a dark, dank swamp. Bugs buzzed nearby and a crocodile slipped back into the water at their arrival. The trees around them were half-dead and a terrible smell permeated the air.

"There is the tomb of Yawgmoth. Can you feel what I mean?" Jaya asked, pointing ahead of them.

What looked like a castle of half-melted metal and masonry was partially sunk into the swamp in front of them. Blayne shivered and grabbed his elbows. A dark, evil feeling poured forth from that dead fortress. It was an undeniable source of black mana, but it was corrupt and evil.

1...2526272829...31