Truth Doesn't Matter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Luckily my lawyer held off the paper service. He claimed legal representation for me in Texas. And since I was out of state they had to go through him. He kept in touch and I would hear the pleasure he got out of making Connie mad.

I found people different in Minnesota. Not bad, just different. In the far north the folks enjoy the warm months as much as they can. The only exception was all swimming polls were in doors. But otherwise the people used the parks and ball fields to all hours of the night. Especially in the summer when kids were out of school.

I began to walk to work. It was just over a mile. The first day I regretted the decision before I was half way. When they learned I had walked I expected some ribbing about short of gas money but it never came.

By the second week I was enjoying the walk. I watched spring go by and summer pass. It was already getting brisk and only in late September. I had made my last walk not liking the 20 mile an hour cold wind. I thought I understood why we had underground garages but hadn't quite see it yet. I was on my way down the hall toward my door when a woman stepped out of her door almost stepping into me. All I can remember is she was in a small bathing suit. And it just barely covered her, but I wouldn't complain.

"Oh sorry, I was heading down to swim. Guess I should have put on my wrap first." She smiled and it lit up the hall.

I didn't know what to say. I just stared as if I had never seen a woman before.

"Will I see you there?" she asked.

"I hadn't planned on it," I tried to smile looking at two peaked breasts covered with cups of bright material.

"Maybe next time." Then she walked away.

I must have looked the fool. I just stood and watched. She never put on the wrap, just slung it over her shoulder. I watched the sway of her hips and her tight bottom with my tongue hanging out.

When she turned the corner I went to my door. It was then I felt foolish. I was thinking about her when I unlocked the door. I had just got inside when the phone rang. I was on call so I grabbed it.

"Bet this is a surprise," came Connie's voice.

"Yes I guess it is, how have you been?" I asked with nothing better to say.

"Do you really care?" And the question was not sarcastic, and that hurt.

"Yes I do, in a way."

"I'm not doing well. I miss you and want you back. I just got your number. It took me this long to track you down. I love Martin and I'm so sorry, can't we work this out? I'll make it up to you,...I promise." I could hear her softly crying.

"Let me think about it. I just don't know. A lot of water had passed under the bridge."

"Not as much water as has in our marriage." I was caught. I could only promise to think about it and call her back. She still had our old number and cell so I knew them by heart. We talked a little more and shared a few laughs. It felt good in a way but hurt too. It reminded me of what I had lost.

I hung up with the promise to call her within a week. I was tormented for the next several days and most at the office noticed it. Finally on the sixth day I made the call. It was hard but I told Connie it was best that we divorced. She took it better than I thought. I was relieved that Wednesday when I hung up. It was over.

Friday I arrived home. Rounding the corner from the elevator, heading toward my door I saw Connie sitting on her suitcase outside my door. She didn't look happy. I walked toward her. It was over a 100 feet but I wished it was a mile. When she saw me her face lit up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked but not in anger.

"I just had to come. I still love you and I think you still love me. I just couldn't let it go without one last try."

I looked around. "Let's go inside."

"That's fine with me. I think we need some privacy." When she said that she looked down the hall. I followed her gaze but saw nothing.

Inside she tried to kiss me but it just wasn't right. She was a little offended. "What's the matter, I got bad breath?"

"No it is just...it just doesn't feel right."

"Does it feel right with that redheaded bitch?"

I just looked at her. I was stunned because I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Who?"

"Oh you know....'The Hall Monitor'."

I wrinkled my face, "Hall Monitor?"

"Don't play stupid with me. That long legged, big boobed trollop that came to ask me why I was sitting in front of your door. No she said, 'Why are you sitting outside Martin's door'. If you don't know her how'd she know your name?"

I still had no idea who she was talking about but went to the door. I opened it and called her over. "See my name is right here on the door!"

"Well...she still knew you! And when I told her I was your wife she...well it sure showed on her face. You won't be getting any more of that!"

"I wasn't any way!" I said with a raised voice.

"If you don't know who she is, how do you know you aren't bedding her Mr. Jamison?"

I didn't answer. But I knew because I had no sex life. But I wasn't going to admit that.

The night didn't go well. She slept in my bed, me on the couch. We talked, argued and fought all the next morning. I am sure anyone in the hall or the apartment on my left knew of the fight, but perhaps not all the words.

Finally I sat Connie down Saturday afternoon. We had both calmed a little. She asked me to forgive her and I had to explain. "Connie I have forgiven you. I did that a while back."

"If you forgave me why didn't you come home?"

"It's like this, I can forgive but the damage is done. Let me explain. You took my most cherished possession and smashed it. If it was in anger or by accident it doesn't matter, the treasure is broken. I can forgive you for even the intentional act, for I know it was anger and not vengeance."

She smiled and tied to speak. I held up my hand and went on. "As I say my treasure was broken, no better said shattered. Then you tired to glue it back together. Now that was possible and it might fill its intended purpose but every time I saw it I would member how it was shattered and would never be the same."

"Then you haven't forgiven!" Connie began to cry. That hurt. I held her and said yes I had, but the damage was done and could never be repaired.

"What we had was special and when this came between us that feeling was gone. I care deeply about you but I....it's best we part. I don't want to relive that sorrow every day."

Connie fought back her tears. "I understand. When....his touch and all just wasn't you Martin. And when Rog.....when I was with him it just wasn't the same." Now it wasn't what she said it was how. I knew she had done more than just hold old Roger's hand. It hurt and I wished I hadn't heard the name.

"Martin, I went out with all the intentions of....but I couldn't. I thought of you..and it didn't...it wasn't the same."

"Then you see what I mean?" I asked not wanting to delve any further into the subject.

"Yes but believe me, I'm telling you the truth! Nothing happened." Connie got out before she began to cry again.

I held her with a broken heart. I felt all the pain again. At that point the truth didn't matter. It was over and done. The damage complete. I knew in my heart she had slept with Mr. Big Dick or Roger. But I wasn't angry, I was hurt.

I drove Connie to the airport Saturday night and got her through security. I then headed home. I felt tired, drained and empty.

I was walking down the hall toward my door. It looked to be the 100 miles I had wished for that previous Friday afternoon. I was just three two doors away when she stepped out. It startled me. I stopped in my tracks and looked at her. She was the same woman I had seen in the bathing suit. I looked her up and down. I noticed for the first time she was a red head.

"Do I look that bad?" she smiled.

"I'm sorry. Was just lost in my thoughts. You startled me and I had to remember where I was."

"You look like you could use a friend. Come on in and sit down a minute. I don't think you need to be alone."

I looked at her and then at her door. I saw her name, Cathy Taylor. How many times had I passed her door and never read it. Not even after I had seen her in that bathing suit.

I followed her into her apartment mostly because I didn't want to be haunted by the ghost of Connie in mine. Cathy had a warm apartment, not just the temp but a cheer that could be felt. In a few minutes we were sipping wine.

I looked into a beautiful set of green eyes and asked, "Are you the 'Hall Monitor'?"

She smiled and said "Guilty"

The wine was hitting me. "You might not know, but Connie called you a 'bitch'." I really don't know why I said that but I did.

"Guilty again," she smiled over her glass. "Hope that doesn't make you think the less of me."

"No, not at all, but I can't say the same for my soon to be ex-wife."

"That is no matter," she smiled again.

I just looked at the smile and felt warm all over. Thinking at the time it was the wine, I just accepted it.

The next thing I knew I was waking to the smell of coffee and bacon. I was hungry because I hadn't eaten all of Saturday. I looked around. I wasn't in my bed. I was only wearing my briefs and my t-shirt. I looked to the other side of the bed. It was undisturbed; my pants and shirt lay at the foot.

It took a minute to guess where he was. It was Cathy's bedroom. Just then she stepped into the room. She looked bright eyed, bushy tailed and had that same great smile. When I was warmed again I realized it wasn't the wine that I had felt the night before.

"Good I see you're awake. If the coffee and bacon hadn't raised you I was going to call the paramedics."

"Where'd you sleep?" I asked sheepishly.

"On the sofa...I'm gay...so you were safe." She smiled again. "Just kidding I slept on top of you all night."

I didn't know what to say.

That smile still filled the room. "Mom said the best way to a man's heart was through his stomach. I had always held a different opinion. But since you got up for food I'll have to reconsider. The bathroom is over there. I did take down my hose, panties and bras. You'll be safe in there while I finish cooking breakfast. Hope bacon, eggs and toast will do."

It did feel strange showering in her bath but the water was refreshing. I stepped out and dried. I had to dress in the same clothes but I did feel better.

At the table we talked. Cathy was easy to talk to and be with. She apologized for putting me in her bed but felt it was easier than her carrying me home. And she assured me she was not gay. "Not that there's anything wrong with it," she stated.

The day went well and I felt better. When evening fell I went to my place to change and take her to dinner. I found a dozen calls from Connie on my voice mail. I ignored them.

Tuesday I had a call from my attorney. Connie had decided to play hard ball he said. I told him of my belief that she had met a man named Roger. That didn't surprise him at all. "Roger Smith?" he asked. All I knew was Roger. Jerry told me they had reviewed Connie's phone records for the last 6 months and found a lot of call to a number traced to a Roger Smith. A man that was Ann Barton's immediate supervisor. With that he told me not to worry.

Thinking the tactic through her attorney would bring me to my senses Connie stopped her calls. I was glad of that and happy to be miles away.

It was a month later when I learned what had happened. My lawyer, Mr. Jerry Lewis, fenced them in. He had taken Connie's and Ann's deposition. I was due to be deposed the following week. Under oath during questioning Connie had said she had not committed adultery and it was all a story to make me think she had. Ann testified that I had been sexually intimate with her.

Neither of the women had their testimony challenged by my attorney. It was at that point he pulled out his lap top and played a video clip. I had had the mental capacity to use my I-Phone to record Connie's vivid description of her date. Jerry asked her

With the video played and a copy provided to council, Jerry asked for one more person to be disposed. He wanted Roger Smith. Connie's lawyer objected but photos were produced that showed Connie and Roger at three different restaurants. And when it was established who Roger Smith was things became interesting. Lewis asked how it as that Connie was still close friends with the woman that had slept with her husband? And why was she then meeting that same woman's boss at restaurants in the evening and calling the man. He also hinted he had photos of Smith with other women. Saying that he looked directly at Ann Barton.

The trump card was the fact Jerry had already talked to Roger Smith and explained the situation. He was faced with the choice of being called into court or helping convince Connie to settle with less then I had offered. The two women learned that if he was called into court, it could lead to his divorce. If that happened he promised to place the blame where it was due. And he was prepared to lie and say it was all Ann's plan to break up the marriage. And it was Ann that had set up the dates between him and Connie working toward a threesome.

After an hour in consultation Connie agreed to my attorney's terms. And to rub salt into the wound Jerry made his fee payable by Connie. There was quite a discussion just how the other two would pay their part. I must admit I was impressed by my attorney. And felt rewarded.

Jerry had her sign the agreement that day. He indicated he would get it to me for my review. If all met my approval he would process it and file the decree with the judge. It would take about a week at best., two at the most. But he didn't wait at all. I got the papers by 10 the next morning. I was waiting at Fed-Ex. I trusted him so I just singed and sent them back. He had it by 4 that evening. By 6 pm I was divorced. I was waiting at the office and got his fax. I would get the official decree a week later by registered mail.

The divorce as final on Wednesday for I wanted to celebrate a little Thursday night. I thought who better to do it with than Cathy. We were at my place about ready to leave when the phone rang. I was in the bathroom so I called for Cathy to catch it in case it was work. When I walked out I could hear Cathy's part of the conversation.

"Who am I? I would have thought you would have remembered me. I'm the Hall Monitor."

There was a silence. I couldn't make out the words but I could tell there was shouting on the other end.

"Well it is nice to hear from you? Yes it is...now how can I help you?" More shouts. I was just looking trying to figure what was going on.

"Well I will get him if you wish. Oh wait he is just coming out of the shower." A little pause, "Martin you could at least wrap in a towel. You're embarrassing me."

"Yes Connie I think he can speak to you now." Cathy held her hand over the receiver, "Sorry the 'bitch' just comes out some times," she whispered with an evil grin.

I took the phone and smiled. I held it away from my face and said loud enough to be heard over the phone. "Why are you embarrassed? You're naked too." I then said "Hello"

Connie lit into me with a sting of obscenities. I held the phone away from my ear. Cathy was stroking one forefinger with another whispering 'shame on you', while trying not to laugh.

Connie was telling me we were still married and she had changed her mind. She was coming up and make me understand she still loved me. She commented on the 'Redhead' with a snide remark about the woman being a home wrecker.

When I got a word in edgewise and explained we were divorced she didn't believe me. I told her to check but as far as I was concerned we were through. She repeated the threat of coming up. I finally said good-bye with her still yelling. Damn that felt good, well for a minute anyway. But then it did hit me a little harder.

Cathy seemed to understand. We went to dinner and then back to her place. She told me it might be best if I moved apartments. She offered to take care of it the next morning as I worked. I found that she worked as assistant manager to get her rent lowered. So the next day I was in the apartment next to hers. We would share a balcony but she said I was safe. There was a 30" metal railing that separated the two landings.

The next afternoon I got a call on my cell. Connie was camped in front of my old door. The manager knowing the situation showed her the empty apartment and swore he didn't know where had moved. I was told later that wasn't a complete lie because Cathy hadn't changed the paperwork as of then.

Connie wouldn't be deterred and said she was going to wait on the 'Hall Monitor' and parked her ass by Cathy's door. It took the manager, security and the police to get the her to leave. I slipped in that night and headed up. I knocked on Cathy's door to ask if I had been moved. She gave me my new key and then handed me a basket of clean clothes. How embarrassing, she was washed my clothes, undies and all.

I commented that I hadn't bothered to purchase a washer and dryer because there was a laundromat in the basement. "Why buy when you can rent," I joked.

Cathy smiled, "I think it is better to own one. You don't know what's been in the machines downstairs, and you won't find someone else's sock in your machine," she countered.

Somehow I don't think she was talking about a washing machine. But she did offer the use of hers any time I needed.

I offered to buy dinner again but she said we had been out the night before. She cooked. Well really she fixed. We had salad and sandwiches. She did make them look great and they were tasty. Later in the night we sat on the balcony and watched a light snow begin to fall. It would turn into a storm that grounded all planes. Connie was stuck at the airport for 36 hours.

So far Cathy and I hadn't been intimate. I had kissed her but that was about all. I did enjoy her company and found I thought of her often. I just feared I was not ready for a relationship yet.

It was three weeks later and I had invited Cathy to the company Christmas party. She was a knock out. She wore a black sequined dress that hugged her body. It fell to her ankles but was slit on the sides to show her black hose. On her feet were heels and her hair was up. Her makeup looked professional. She wore a diamond pennant and matching earrings. I just looked at her and whistled. "You are gorgeous, I hope I can hold on to you at the party." I had to explain that. I knew there would be several men at the party with much more charm and things to offer her.

She smiled and accepted it as a compliment and said, "You do clean up well too."

We arrived at the party. When she saw where I worked she laughed. "I didn't know you worked for Tate Pressure Controls. My mom works here too. You know she's keeps trying to set me up with a guy she works with. If we see her and she drags him up I'll be so embarrassed."

It dawned on me we had never discussed out work places. "Where do you work?"

"I work for Stillmen."

"They're one of our suppliers. It is a small world."

"I work in accounts payable. Not much fun and my cubbyhole has no window." with that she laughed and it warmed me.

Just then I saw my boss. I steered Cathy toward him. "Hi Bill I want to introduce Cathy Taylor, Cathy this is Bill Green my boss and I'm sorry I haven't been introduced to your wife."

Bill smiled, "Cathy what a surprise."

"Hi Bill and good to see you again. Fran, how are the kids?" Cathy replied.

I felt I was missing something. I then got another shock. Jackie approached and hugged Cathy. I was introduced to Rick Taylor, Jackie's husband. They all seemed to know Cathy. A minute later Cathy whispered something to Jackie. Jackie began to laugh. That stunned Cathy and got everyone's attention.