TSS 3: Knight's Son Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This wasn't the first time I'd heard we were recruited early. I guess all the Knights dying forced them to act sooner than tradition dictated.

"What else?" I asked when it appeared she wasn't going to continue. She raised an eyebrow in question, so I added, "You said a few reasons but only gave two. Why did we live in poverty, and you worked your butt off if the Knights paid for everything?"

I saw her cheeks color, but I couldn't imagine what would make her hesitate now after everything else she revealed. "When I was younger and hotter, I worked in a strip club. Then, when you became old enough to wonder why I was leaving every night, I got the only other job I could think of where people are abused regularly. I worked in retail."

I sat there, stunned. I mean, what was I supposed to say? Gee, Mom. All these years, I thought you were sacrificing yourself to make ends meet; you were really just getting off. So glad you got to enjoy life while I was bullied for being poor. I had a lot more thoughts at that point, but I'm not going to write them down here. Suffice to say that I felt jilted and cheated of my childhood.

"Say something," my mother said, reaching for my hand once more. This time I was too stunned to pull away.

"I... I think I need time to process this." My voice sounded hollow even to me. I moved to stand, but she tightened her grip on me.

"Wait, please," she begged. I didn't want to be around her at that moment, but something in her eyes and voice stopped me. She'd raised me to respect women, and even though she disgusted me right then, she was still my mother. "You didn't come here to hear my past. Since you joined the Knights, I'm guessing you attended First Knight?"

I was halted halfway up from my seat, but I collapsed back onto my butt hearing her mention last night.

"I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you know about that, too." I dropped my eyes to the can of soda, unwilling to look at her.

"Yes," her voice still held that pleading quality, but I also heard compassion. "That's how I met your father. I was in the dungeon room... I'm, um, sure you can guess why. Like I said, he was drunk, and I took advantage of that. I seduced him, and we were married that night, under the contract."

"Wait..." I was still trying to process everything, but my mind latched onto something I could talk about. "Why did you choose him? You knew what was going to happen and did it anyway?"

She met my eyes as I looked up at her, and I was surprised to see a whistful smile on her lips. "Oh, yes, I knew. It was my fourth year attending those. Not many find the dungeon rooms. Did you? Never mind, I don't really want to know. Anyway, I'd read his profile, and when I saw him, I decided to take advantage of him. He came from a long line of Knights and knew enough about First Knight that, well, it was part of why he was drunk. Most men that find the dungeon are serious sadists. I didn't want someone who'd hurt me for the sake of causing me pain. I wanted someone who would do it to please me. Your father was that opportunity."

The way she talked about that party, combined with my own experiences, made it seem like a hedonist's funhouse, more than anything else.

"So, you had a choice?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. Even taking into account everything she told me, I couldn't imagine anyone picking my father.

"Of course," she agreed, squeezing my hand again. "We all do. No woman is forced to accept someone. Naturally, some of them get desperate and will accept anyone, but I knew what I was getting with your father."

Something else wasn't adding up in my head, and after a moment, I figured out what. "Why would anyone put themselves into that situation?" I asked. "If you were hot enough to, um, exotically dance, you could have had your pick of drooling men. So why put yourself into a situation where you had to marry a complete stranger?"

"I didn't say I was hot enough to strip," my mom chuckled. "Just that I was hotter. But I still enjoyed the slurs and names they called me. Even with the insults, horny men and women will still tip well, and I made good money. I know I raised you to treat women better than that, but you've also always had a big heart.

"As for the rest? Did you ever wonder why you never met my parents? They kicked me out when I was twelve because I started showing interest in liking women. Their religion was rigorous, and they couldn't have a daughter like me in the family. The Knights took me in, fed me, put a roof over my head, and gave me the best education I was willing to do. I never liked school much. In return, all they asked for was that I stay a virgin, and once I turned nineteen, to start attending First Knights when they occurred. They told me everything to expect and didn't lie about anything. They said that whoever I chose would become my husband. That I would get pregnant after sleeping with that man for the first time and that I would love and adore him. They promised that I would be happy, regardless of who I chose, and they were right. I never regretted marrying your father. But you need to understand, it was all my choice. I was never forced to do anything."

I thought of the cougars in the cocktail lounge and shuddered. "But what if you never found a man you were willing to be with?" I asked. What would it be like to be a forty-year-old virgin? "Would you really have to remain abstinent your whole life?"

"No. If I hadn't picked by twenty-seven, I could leave, with no debts owed and free to live how I wanted. Few women choose to do that." She paused to regard me for a moment before continuing. "I'm guessing from your expression that you ran into some older ladies? Those that stay past twenty-seven still live off the Knight's largess. Once they hit thirty-two, they are placed in rooms that, shall we say, encourage them to pick someone. Of course, they are still free to leave at any time, but most don't."

"By encourage, you mean drugged," I said, thinking of the older woman that all but molested me.

"Well, like I said. They are free to leave at any time." Her answer came so easy, was so matter-of-fact that I couldn't argue against it. "Despite what you might be thinking, they live in free housing, all of their bills paid."

"But they can't have love unless they find it during First Knight," I said, still uncomfortable with the situation.

"Almost true," Mom agreed. "Strong, shall we say friendships often form between the women. But they know what kind of a man they're getting when they choose during the ceremony. Compare that to dating and having to guess at what the other person is actually like."

Despite my misgivings, her words made sense. I thought back over last night and how the three women came out of the bathroom. Jolene had chosen Al, while the other two picked me. They knew what they were getting into and still picked me. What was in my profile that made them decide I should be their husband? And that they would share me! I didn't feel used or like an object with that thought. However, both women were brilliant in their own way, so what did they see in me? Hell, Elly had a genius-level intellect. She was a year older than me but almost had her second doctorate completed. And Shayna, despite her reputation, could have nearly any straight man and probably a few of the gay ones if she wanted. She was also no slouch in the brain department.

Next to them, I was a nobody. Sure, I played basketball and football and was in a few gaming leagues, but I hadn't decided on my major yet. Yet, both women knew what they wanted in life, and somehow that included me.

Thinking of how I was a nobody reminded me of Ms. Nobody.

"I need some time to process everything," I said, wanting to change the subject. "What's the deal with your renter? She seemed a little strange to me."

"Nikky? You met her, huh?" Mom gave me a sly look. "What do you think of her?"

"Mom!" I said, shocked at her implication. "You know I went to First Knight last night, so you know I'm married now. I'm not going to cheat on my wives the first chance I get." Even if the mission Consul Willmont gave me would require it.

"Wives?" she asked me, her turn to be shocked. "As in more than one? I'm going to be a grandma to two babies? Wait... You had the stamina to net two women? Impressive, Son."

"I... Ugh, yeah," I said, abashed as I rubbed the back of my head. "But I still don't think they'd appreciate me sleeping around."

Her blue eyes grew serious, and she gripped my hand again. "Listen, Bobby. Your father and I didn't want you to join the Knights, but you should know something. Monogamy, or at least in your case fidelity, isn't expected from you. Your wives will understand there will be times when you're away for some time or on a mission and will sleep around. I know your father slept with many women, and I never begrudged him his fun."

"He... You don't...." Once again, I was stymied by her revelations. "Wait, does that mean you cheated on him?"

She grimaced but shrugged her shoulders. "Depends on your viewpoint. The only man I've ever been with was your father. But, I've been with several women over the years, when you were away on school trips or at a friend's house. Your father knew and didn't have a problem with it. Especially not when he joined--"

"Okay," I cut her off before she could reveal even more about herself or my father. I already knew too much. "I think I've heard enough. Too much, in fact. Even if I were willing, I'm not interested in Miss Nobody."

"Miss Nobody?" She quirked an eyebrow at me, but I didn't feel like explaining. "Well, I can guarantee she's quite the animal, and the carpet matches the drapes."

"Mom!" I spluttered, exasperated with her. She'd never talked to me like this before. Now that I thought about it, why wasn't she more devastated at his death if she loved my father so much? I decided after the turn this conversation went, I didn't want to ask. "I'm going to go think for a bit and drive around. This... This was more information than I expected--or wanted--and I've got some stuff to figure out."

"Okay, honey," she finally let me stand up and walk away. "I was going to order takeout, but if you're here, do you want me to cook?"

Once again, I was surprised at how she was willing to spend money. Growing up, we only ever ate out on special occasions. I nodded that that would be fine and went to my car. I didn't drive far, just around to a nearby park. With the warmth, I cracked my windows and laid my chair back to ponder.

I didn't know what to think about my dad. I couldn't ignore years of abuse, even if he thought he was doing the right thing. And in the end, it failed precisely because my parents tried to make me believe they were dirt poor. Had I known my mom wasn't struggling, I wouldn't have joined. Now it was too late. I may not have read all the documents I signed yesterday, but I read enough. Becoming a Knight was for life.

Then there was Elly and Shayna. This morning I thought they were crazy women. Well, I still thought that, but I understood them a little better now. It boosted my ego to know they'd picked me. It also assuaged my concerns, knowing that they weren't forced into anything. However, I was legally married to two women that I didn't know. I was at a considerable disadvantage since they knew me, perhaps better than I knew myself. Worse, they were both carrying my child. I prayed to God that I hadn't knocked Charlotte up also. Not that I was likely to ever meet her again.

And then there was my mom. She'd raised and cared for me. Bandaged my wounds as a kid, and I thought she worked her ass off to provide for us. Now, I knew it was all a ruse. And what was all that ribald talk from her? I'd never seen her like that and didn't like thinking about her as a woman instead of my mother.

I debated on going back to the dorm rather than home. Except, I was no longer living at the dorm, and I'd told my mom I would join her for dinner. I kept my commitments, even if they grew uncomfortable.

Speaking of commitments, if what my mom said was true, then Elly and Shayna wouldn't have a problem with me completing the mission Consul Willmont assigned. I was determined to talk to them tomorrow. I hadn't gotten either of their phone numbers, but that was a conversation that should happen in person. I would face what was and see how they truly felt. Which is what I should have done from the start, but it was too late to change the past.

Then, if that conversation went well, I'd find out if there was a succubus brothel being run in California as Willmont ordered me to do.

* * * *

1069 A.D.

Ardin beamed down at his bride, still unsure what he'd done to earn this spot next to her. But, with her arms circling his neck, slight weight filling his arms, and a beaming smile filling his eyes, he loved this woman more than life itself.

And finally, after months of waiting, the priests announced Venita was fit to be baptized. He could still smell the slight tang of the ocean in her hair from the ceremony that morning. The surely way the priests looked when they gave their blessing told him that Venita rejected their advances. That alone showed she was a worthy woman to be his wife.

Karcher spent the entire previous day trying to talk him out of marrying a woman as old as Venita. "Eighteen is too old to start a family. Are you sure her health will hold up?"

But looking down at her as he carried her to their new home, he knew there wasn't a more perfect woman in the world for him. She was intelligent, funny, understood his need to follow God's plan, and despite what Karcher thought, she had good child-bearing hips.

"I've waited so long for this," Venita breathed as he halted outside their door.

He'd spent the last month preparing their home, handcrafting the furniture he couldn't trade for, and preparing it to start their family. If God smiled on their union, then their family would quicken within her womb tonight.

He managed to push open the door without dropping his wife--his wife!--and stepped through. Despite teachings that pride came before the fall, he could help but puff his chest out as Venita looked around and exclaimed how good their home looked. Their home! Together!

He set her down and was only slightly disappointed that she didn't turn and kiss him. They'd waited years to reach this point, and she'd teased him so often about what pleasures tonight would bring. He didn't want to wait a moment more.

"I know you're excited about starting our family, but I told you there was one tradition from my homeland that I wanted to honor, remember?" Venita asked as she admired the bed. The way her hips swayed as she ran a hand along the blankets that were a gift from Old Maerta filled Ardin's head with thoughts of what they would soon be doing under that blanket. It took him a moment to realize Venita waited for him to speak.

He met her eyes and had to swallow before he had enough moisture to speak. He felt like that young boy on the beach all over again. "You promise it's not a pagan ritual? You're baptized now and have vowed to put all of that behind you."

She stepped up to him, placing her hand on his broad chest and looking up to meet his gaze. Her face showed complete sincerity as she spoke. "You are my husband, and I swear to make you proud. I will do nothing that will jeopardize our chances of reaching heaven together. I believe that you will be a great man one day, and I want to be by your side. Forever."

She'd made comments about him being great before, but he dismissed such things. She loved him, just as he loved her. How could they not see each other as the greatest the world has to offer?

He nodded for her to continue. She reached into a pouch behind her back and pulled out a slim chain with a round, shiny disc attached. She held it out to him in supplication with both hands. Despite the last few years around her, Ardin had never seen her so solemn.

He took the fine jewelry with both hands and examined the pendant and chain. The workmanship was exquisite. Each link was smaller than the nail of his smallest toe, yet a slight tug showed its strength. The round decoration easily outweighed the chain and felt solid in his palm. The disc was carved with the image of an intricate shell, opened to the sun's rays, and a brilliant pearl shimmered upon a soft oyster. Looking at the fine details, he almost thought he could hear the ocean birds calling. For an object about the size of one of his thumb knuckles, it was breathtaking.

"How...?" Ardin tried to ask but couldn't find the words. Something like this must have cost a fortune. He knew no artisans existed nearby capable of creating this, so it must have come from the life she fled. Venita never spoke of that life, and he never pressed her. It was their future that interested him. Their future together.

"I have kept that with me at all times since I fled the wars of my homeland." Her voice was soft, and yet he heard the longing she held for a life she'd abandoned. "I swore that I would give it to the man I married, and now it is yours to keep, my husband."

He felt his emotions split. Gratitude that she would hold onto something so precious just to give it to him warred with the knowledge that had she given this to the priests, they would have allowed her baptism years ago. They could have been married all this time.

"I couldn't stand the thought of those priests getting their hands on something that I knew was meant for you," Venita told him, almost as though she could read his thoughts. He knew that was impossible, though. Only God knew what was in men's hearts and minds.

His emotions softened as the import of what she said sunk in. She knew she could have sped up the process, but the act of giving this to him meant more than anything else to her. How could he react with anything less than gratitude?

Besides, he had occasion to see the greed of the clergy as they came through. They acted as though the villagers were beneath them, often grimacing when they had to actually touch one of them. Ardin couldn't read the good book's words, but he knew how to read faces and body language. Even if the clergy didn't act the way they preached, Ardin promised to be the man he needed to spend eternity with Venita.

He opened his mouth to thank her but found her lips pressed to his, silencing all the words he couldn't imagine. Her breath, sweet from the treats they enjoyed after their wedding, filled his head with thoughts only a married man should entertain about his wife.

His thick arms pulled her tight against his chest as he lifted her and carried her to the bed. He placed her down gently, ready to finally lose their virginity together when his stupid brain got in the way.

"I..." He trailed off, ashamed of what he was about to admit. "I didn't get anything for you. I know you told me about your tradition, but I didn't... I mean, I--"

She silenced him with a slender finger pressed against his lips. "What are you talking about?" Venita asked as she worked to shimmy out of her dress. "You've given me a home and everything around us. You've given me safety. But Ardin? Most importantly, you've given me your love. There is nothing else in this world that could mean more to me than that."

Once again, words failed him. Venita saved him from any embarrassment or need for speech as she cupped his cheek, lifted to her toes, and kissed him. Ardin became lost within her essence, and the next time they broke for air, he found they were already on the bed.

It's finally going to happen, Ardin thought as he pulled back enough to remove his shirt. Finally, after years of teasing and promises, they were about to become one.