Two Broken Roads Ch. 04

Story Info
Plans and healing set the stage.
7.1k words
4.67
18.8k
27

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/10/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings, and welcome to chapter four of my story. "Two Broken Roads" is presented in five chapters that are all interconnected. Readers are welcome to enjoy the story any way they want, but it will make more sense if read in order.

Other than some steamy conversations, there's not much sex until the end. And fair warning for those readers who are offended by any religious content, the main characters are people of faith and their dialogue and actions will reflect their beliefs.

I am extremely thankful for my friends and editors who helped me. NoraFares and MsCherylTerra did their best to make my words work. If you want to read high-quality writing, check out their catalogues.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy "Two Broken Roads."

©BarryJames1952

January 2020

*****

Sunday was typical of the previous several. We went to Sunday school first so Laura and the girls could start to form some relationships with other members, then to the worship service. We had lunch with Sarah and Bobby, then back to our place for a few hours. Late afternoon was typical of any family spending time together. It felt so normal. I was more content than I can ever remember.

But I had plans to make, and little conspiracies to form. I was able to pull Sarah aside to get her on board. Now I just needed to make the rest of the plans work out.

Monday morning, I went into town to a jewelry shop owned by a friend from church. I selected what I needed and made sure sizing and engraving could be done in time for Wednesday. I called Sarah and asked her to get Laura out of the house Thursday afternoon to start shopping for baby stuff. I knew Laura couldn't resist. Laura mentioned it that Monday night at dinner and I offered to watch Hanna and Mattie. I knew Laura would try to make Sarah stay after shopping and would even ask Bobby to come over. I warned Sarah so she would have an excuse ready to beg off. My plan was coming together!

Wednesday, I ran back into town and picked up the treasures from the jeweler, then ran to the meat market and produce stand for the rest of the supplies. I felt as giddy as a kid at Christmas!

Thursday was finally here. Sarah picked Laura up at 11:30 and they started their day by going to lunch. The bond Sarah and Laura formed made my heart feel good.

As they left, the girls and I sat at the kitchen table for their favorite: PBJ sandwiches! It was time to start the process. I had it all rehearsed and knew what I wanted to say.

"Hanna and Mattie, I have a very important question to ask you." They both listened intently as I continued. "Since I've gotten to know your mom and the two of you, I've fallen in love with you all!"

"We love you too, Mr. Ben!" Hanna exclaimed. "Me too!" Mattie shouted as they both came to hug me.

I continued with some misty eyes. "That's why it's important that I ask you a question. I want to ask your mom if she'll marry me, and I want to ask you both if that's okay!"

Mattie was jumping up and down screaming "Yeah!" Hanna hugged me again and simply said, "I knew it!"

Mattie continued to shout, "Does that make you our daddy?"

"Do you want me to be?" I asked.

"You bet!" Mattie replied.

"Well, I want you both to be my daughters!"

Mattie was ecstatic, but Hanna was a bit more subdued with a bit of a questioning face. I somewhat expected this.

"Mr. Ben, would you then move in with us?"

"That's right," I replied.

"And would you then sleep with Mommy in her bed?"

"Yes, that's normally the way it happens!"

"So then, you're going to make babies?"

"Most likely!" I answered. Her face looked more concerned. What was on her mind?

She hesitated, and a tear fell down her cheek. "Will you... still love Mattie and me if you have your own kids?" I reached to hug her. I hadn't considered this response, but I had to be sure to alleviate her fears.

I grabbed her into a willing hug. "Hanna, I already love you and Mattie no differently than if I've always been your dad! That will never change."

"Promise?" she whimpered.

"That's a big promise. And I will never break that promise!"

"Okay," she said. "You can marry Mom." She pulled back, now much happier. "Can I call you Dad?"

"Nothing would make me happier! Just wait until your mom agrees to marry me so we don't spoil the surprise."

We shared lots of smiles and hugs.

"So, girls, I want to make tonight really special for your mom. Will you help me?"

"You bet!" Hanna answered. "Me too!" Mattie chimed in.

I laid out the plans for the day and made them both promise not to say anything to their mom about getting married. I wanted to surprise Laura, so I bribed the girls with a special gift later if they didn't tell. I wasn't worried about Hanna, but Mattie was still a little young to exhibit much restraint or self-control. I hoped for the best.

That afternoon Hanna and I set up the formal dining room with a romantic setting. Mattie helped by cleaning up her toys. She was a hard little worker. I had picked up some inch and a half thick New York strip steaks, some big Idaho potatoes, and some fresh corn that was just coming into season. I may not be much of a cook, but I could really handle a grill and my steaks would be perfect. Baked potato with all the fixings and corn on the cob rounded out the meal. All of it was easy and tough to mess up. I asked Mattie and Hanna if they preferred hamburgers, but they assured me they were steak kind of girls.

Hanna took charge of making a salad and prepared it like a pro. A great bottle of merlot, virgin strawberry daiquiris for the girls, and we were ready for the timed arrival. I lit candles, closed the curtains for atmosphere, reviewed the place settings, and tried to quiet the butterflies in my stomach. I hoped I could make it through dinner before I popped the question.

The girls were getting dressed up in their Sunday best. As they strolled down the stairs looking gorgeous, I took the steaks out to rest. It was about five minutes until Laura was due to walk in the door. I was pacing trying to calm down my nerves. Hanna was at the door ready to do her assigned part. Mattie was already in her chair with her tablet to keep her occupied.

We saw Sarah's car pull in. There were a few moments of conversation, a hug, and Laura emerged from the car. We were ready. The timing was perfect.

The door opened, and a surprised Laura was greeted by Hanna looking beautiful and composed. Before Laura could say anything, Hanna greeted her.

"Mrs. Wilson! We're glad you're here. Your reserved table is ready, and the rest of your party is already seated." She led Laura into the dining room.

I stood to greet her with a hug and a smooch. Mattie shouted out "Hi Mommy," without looking up from her game. The distraction worked.

Laura was beaming. "What's all this?" she asked with a huge smile.

"The girls and I were having a great time and we were talking about their wonderful mommy and wanted to do something together that would be special."

"This really is special! Thank you all!"

Hanna and I said "You're welcome" while Mattie thankfully continued to play.

Hanna seemed so adult. She insisted on serving the food and she did great. I poured the wine and strawberry drinks for the girls. Ice water was already at each place. I said a prayer and we dug into a wonderful meal.

I could tell Laura wanted to get the girls talking about their day, but Hanna and I kept her busy with questions about her time with Sarah. Laura was beaming. I imagine she sensed more was happening than what meets the eye, but she just basked in each moment. When we finished, Hanna and I cleared the table and brought out plates of New York cheesecake, one of Laura's favorites.

I couldn't wait any longer.

"Laura, the girls and I had a great time today. We had a chance to talk about something important that I wanted their opinion on. So, with their approval..." I went to one knee by her side and revealed the ring box "...Laura, will you put up with me for a lifetime and be my wife?" Hanna was crying with a huge smile. Mattie, who kept the secret perfectly, was gingerly bouncing in her chair with a huge grin. My tears flowed.

Laura barely hesitated. She fell on her knees next to me with a magnificent smile and tears starting cascading down her cheeks. She grabbed me into a bear hug and shouted "Oh, God! Yes, yes, yes, yes!" Each yes was sealed with a touch of our lips.

Hanna joined the hug and Mattie came over to us so she wasn't left out. Laura's and my lips were locked in joy, and Hanna exclaimed, "Good job, Dad!"

Hearing that, Laura pulled back, looked at us both smiling brightly with a glowing in her face and sparkles in her eyes.

"Yeah, good job Daddy!" Mattie shouted. "Yay! Mr. Ben is our daddy now!"

Laura pulled her into our hug and said, "You bet he is, baby!"

Laura suddenly realized she hadn't even looked at the ring. She reached for it to slip it on and her jaw dropped. "Oh my God, Ben! This must have cost a fortune!"

The ring was a solitaire 1.6-carat diamond set in a white gold mount. She was right, it wasn't an inexpensive mall variety ring even after the nice discount my friend gave me. I would have spent less on a new car.

"How much did this cost you?" she asked even as she realized the question was a bit out of order.

"I had a nest egg I was saving for something I've always wanted. But when I thought of you, of the lifetime of happiness and joy I know we'll share, I wanted you to know without a doubt that you and our family will always be my only real treasure." Her lips crushed into mine with pure passion and love. I think she understood.

We helped each other up to sit back down, but she chose my lap rather than her chair.

"I have a few more gifts!" I announced. "Girls, can you come over here?" Hanna and Mattie moved quickly and stood in front of us like soldiers awaiting their command.

I handed them each a wrapped box and asked them to open them together. Hanna was first to open the little jewelry box. She opened it with a gasp as Mattie was now catching up to see her identical gifts. Each was a golden heart pendant. On the back, Hanna's had this inscription: "Hanna, thank you for sharing your mom. Daddy loves you!" Mattie's had the same with her name.

Laura held me tighter and she kissed me. "Ben, how'd I get so blessed? You think of everything!"

I looked her in the eyes. "You are the greatest blessing I could ever hope for. I don't know why God led an undeserving guy like me into your arms, but I intend to thank Him every day and show you the girls that His plan is a good one. My love for you is greater than I ever thought I was capable of. The same is true of my love for Hanna and Mattie."

Our lips met. Hanna had to add, "Are you guys gonna keep doing that all day?"

"I EXTREEEMELY love your mother, Hanna! So, yes. We may do that all day!"

Laura laughed.

"I'm good with that!" Hanna added.

I whispered in Laura's ear, "And I very, very, EXTREEEMELY still like you too!"

*****

Laura and I agreed that we wanted to tell the families that coming weekend at the Fourth of July picnic. My parents were coming with my youngest sister. Laura's mom and dad would be there as well as Sarah and Bobby.

We also agreed that we wanted the wedding to be in about a month from then. Early August would be best so we could fit in a honeymoon before Laura headed back to work for the next school year. With the heads of both families there that weekend, we should be able to find a date that matched everyone's schedule.

A thought crossed my mind. My parents and youngest sister would be here. The plan for a surprise for Laura erupted in my brain. I would need my family's help in a big way. I was determined to launch the plan when I could get my family alone during their visit.

*****

Everyone arrived at about two in the afternoon on Saturday. Hot dogs, burgers, salads of all kinds, corn on the cob, soda (a rare treat for Hanna and Mattie) and beer (a not-so-rare treat for the adults) were all staged and ready as folks gathered on Laura's back patio.

Mom and Dad knew something was up since the picnic wasn't at my house, but instead at my lovely neighbors. I introduced them to Laura, and they took to each other immediately. Sarah knew my mom pretty well and gave her a glowing report about Laura without spilling the beans. Laura kept her ring in her pocket to avoid stealing thunder from the moment to come.

Laura's parents, John and Helen, were polite on our meeting, but they looked at me with a critical eye. They suffered with Laura during and after the miserable marriage she was in, so I was expecting heavy scrutiny. Laura warned me beforehand, but I was calm about it. I had nothing to hide, and I really wanted their approval.

After the greetings and before the news could leak out, I grabbed everyone's attention and took the floor with Laura at my side.

"Thanks for coming everyone. I can't tell you how happy we are that you can all be here."

Murmurs of returned greeting ensued.

"I'm guessing everyone has figured out that Laura and I are more than just neighbors. We've been seeing each other romantically for about a month." My parents beamed. Laura's parents cautiously grinned with obvious concern.

I continued. "You may think what I'm going to say comes from wishful thinking, but Laura and I overwhelmingly felt God leading us together. From the first moment we talked we knew something was happening beyond the two of us. So, yes, in a very short amount of time we realized we were deeply in love. Sarah and Bobby can attest to it, and two little girls, who I also fell deeply in love with, will give witness to all that has happened."

My parents were beaming even more. Mom and my sister both had tears in their eyes. Laura's dad looked even more concerned, but her mom seemed to soften a bit.

It was time to forge ahead. "I know you all love us, so I also know you may have concerns about the speed of things that have happened. But you may want to buckle your seat belts!"

Laura had slipped the ring on without anyone noticing. I looked at her giving the nod that it was her turn.

"This handsome, loving, God-fearing man that loves me and my girls with more depth than I could ever imagine... has asked me to marry him!" She paused for effect as we heard gasps of shock, joy, and concern all at once.

Then, holding up her hand with the ring proudly she announced with a happy squeal, "I said yes!"

My mom, dad, and sister applauded and came over for hugs. Hanna and Mattie screamed with renewed joy. Sarah and Bobby already knew about us but clapped and joined the hug-fest anyway.

John and Helen stood back a bit and waited until the hugging broke up. Helen went right to her daughter and embraced her. I heard Helen ask her if she was sure about this.

Laura responded quickly and with assurance, "More sure than you can imagine, Mom. He's a wonderful man with me and the girls, and he's really hot!" They both laughed and moved off to talk some more.

John came right to me with a fatherly stern look and held out his hand. "I guess I can say congratulations, but can we talk a bit before I really mean it?" He gave a little grin.

"I was counting on that, sir!" I said.

"Cut the sir crap and call me John, okay?"

"Absolutely John. Do you mind if we talk over by the grill, so I can get that going? This mob looks hungry!"

"Works for me!" he replied.

"I'll grab a beer for each of us and meet you there," I offered.

I was ready to stand before the judge. He had a friendly face but looked like a man of strong will and character.

He then shocked me a bit. I was afraid his first question was designed to set the tone for the whole conversation.

"So, tell me, Ben. Are you screwing my daughter?" His face lost the friendly component.

"Would you believe me if I said no?" I asked in a way with the hope of setting the tone myself.

"Are you going to tell me the truth?" he pushed back.

"John, I'll never lie to you. You have my permission to punch me in the face if you ever catch me in a lie!" I smiled at him hoping to lighten the mood a bit before I hit him with the rest of my response. "But don't... ever... talk like that again about Laura or me!" I stared intently as he was taken aback at my candor and intensity. He knew he pushed the wrong button.

I continued. "Using the term 'screw' or the unfortunately popular 'F' word carries an implication that pisses me off. To me, you've asked if I'm using your daughter to get off. I will never 'use' Laura. When we're together, we will want to please each other because we love each other. When we make love, it will not be screwing or, you know, 'Effing' each other! We will be making love! No matter how gently, or how frantically passionate, it will be making love. And to answer your question ... no, we have not made love yet. That will be saved for our wedding night!"

My point was made and received. He lightened up considerably.

"Ben, I'm sorry it came out like that! That's the over-protective father in me coming out with a lot of pent-up anger. I'm sure you know Laura's past... her marriage and all. As much as that tore her up, it destroyed her mother and me. I don't know how to protect her from getting hurt again, and that frustrates the hell out of me!"

"I understand completely. I should also take this opportunity to ask your forgiveness since I didn't come to you to ask for your daughter's hand. There just wasn't time with how fast things went."

"Don't worry about that. It's difficult to go through such traditions when we live so far away. That doesn't mean I won't be looking into you and raising lots of questions."

"John, you and I are okay. We want the same things for Laura. I treasure her more than you can imagine! Well, maybe not more than you as her dad can imagine," I said with a genuine smile. "There won't be a moment for the rest of my life that I will take her for granted. I love her in the truest sense—her life, her feelings, her wellbeing, everything about her. And I feel the same for Hanna and Mattie as well. The three of them are more important to me than my own life."

John looked a little emotional and I sensed he now knew me and trusted my intentions. I thought I'd lighten things just a bit. With a huge smile, I put my hands on his shoulder and said, "So there'll be no screwing around here!"

He laughed. "Okay. I believe you! But a part of me was looking forward to punching you in the face!" He put his hand on top of mine on his shoulder and smiled. I liked this guy, and I knew we were going to get along.

By that time, my dad had joined the conversation and was very supportive while raising a few concerns of his own. John and I continued to talk openly and frankly. He still didn't really know me although he was starting to understand me. He made it clear that I didn't deserve his daughter, and I agreed with him. He laughed and admitted he didn't think any man deserved her. I agreed again.

He voiced his concerns about the speed of the courtship but seemed to be more comfortable with it as we talked. I opened myself up for his full evaluation and scrutiny, and just as the burgers were done cooking, he held his hand out again. As I shook it he said, "Okay, this time I mean it. It seems way too quick for me, but congratulations. And welcome to the family!" He pulled me into a manly hug.

"Thanks, John. You have no idea how much that means to me."

"Just take care of my little girl, or they'll never find your body!" he said kiddingly... I hoped.

"Ben, how are the girls taking all this?" he asked.

"As I said, I would have asked for your permission but didn't think I'd have the chance soon enough. So, I asked for their permission to marry their mom and they were ecstatic. Hanna, Mattie and I have become very close. They actually call me Dad already."

12