Unity and Destiny Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Javier laughed nervously. "Not sure about that."

But when Nicola slipped under the sheets, she was clearly making room for him. Javier sighed and took off his shirt. Nicola rarely even spent the night sleeping with Mark, though he suspected that was more due to Mark's preferences. If this was what she wanted now, God knows he wasn't going to reject her.

She spooned against his back and kissed his head.

<< If I have nightmares, wake me up. And for God's sake let's hope Esther comes soon. >>

She kissed Javier once more on the neck, and then they both tried to sleep.

* * *

The canyon glimmered distantly in otherspace. Esther didn't know how long it had taken her to creep this far in her mind, but the caution had been necessary. Even at this distance she could feel its pull, now that she'd let herself approach it again.

Now came the true challenge. All the dreamers were still connected to this canyon somehow. She had to find the right connection and follow it back to the old man.

It was easier than she expected. The canyon did not form connections easily with its surroundings. Perhaps that was a natural property that had made it special from the start. In any event, it left the canyon's surroundings rather barren in otherspace, and it was straightforward to trace the strongest connection to a distant person. Carefully she pulled apart the strands of her own attachment to the canyon, until the rest broke on their own. The process was intriguing, but she would have to think more on that later. For now, she followed the path to the distant man. When she finally found him, she breathed a sigh of relief. And then with some difficulty she extracted herself from otherspace, back through the layers of reality, until it was just Esther and the faint Watch she kept.

She was exhausted, and terribly hungry. She opened her eyes with difficulty.

"Grace?"

The other woman started and jumped up to check on her.

"Esther! We were starting to worry. Kat's in the kitchen. Mark had to take another walk into the hills. I don't know where Selena went, but she didn't look very well. I think she had to lie down."

Esther knew all that already, but of course Grace wasn't used to this.

"Food," she managed to mumble.

Grace called to Kat, and soon Esther was sitting up on the sofa, digging into crackers and cheese.

"You were there almost three hours," said Kat. "I told Grace it was all right, but truthfully I didn't know. You were all right, weren't you?"

"Yes," said Esther. "Though I might have been at more risk than I realized. I think I need to be careful about spending too much time far into otherspace."

"Did you get what you needed?" Grace asked.

"Yes," said Esther. "He's in a small desert house north of Phoenix. All alone. And he's in a wheelchair. He has some ability to hide, but he wouldn't be any great threat in person. I can visit him safely.

"Phoenix," said Kat. "Never been there. Are you going to fly? Maybe Selena would take you if you asked. But, damn, I can't really skip class tomorrow. Wait, no, that's stupid. None of that's important compared to getting Javier back. And Nicola. When are you leaving? I need to go get some things if there's time."

Grace hugged Kat, who finally realized she was babbling.

"I'll take her, certainly," said Selena, rubbing her head as she entered the room. "But I haven't been at my best lately. It might be harder with more people, even if Esther does that magic silencing trick she's doing now. Thank you, by the way."

Esther smiled. "I think the two of us can handle him," she said. "But thank you, Kat."

Grace shook her head. "You should still take Mark."

Esther looked at Selena, who nodded tiredly.

"He isn't all that happy here in any case," Esther said. "You're right, Grace. I shouldn't be overconfident, not after what happened outside the motel."

"Six hundred fifty miles, give or take," said Selena. "Call it three hours end to end. And I'll need to arrange a car. It'll be pretty late by the time we get there, and I was up early today."

Esther nodded. "We'd have to see him tomorrow anyway. Name a time in the morning and we'll do that. You're welcome to stay here, of course. You can pick a guest room."

Kat gave Esther a hug. "I don't know what Grace and I can do," she said. "But we're willing to help, when it comes time. Getaway drivers, maybe. You can count on us. I'm happy to poke around and see if I can find a computer system to hack, but given what you said I'm guessing they're pretty low tech. Still, I'm going to dig around the web and Usenet and see if I can find anything relevant about the Chosen."

"Yeah," agreed Esther. "Go home, and thank you for taking care of me this afternoon."

When they'd gone, Selena sighed.

"I don't mean to burden you with my problems, but the meditations stopped working so well once I couldn't do them all day. Honestly I'm happy for an excuse to be away from work. Obviously I wish it was for a different reason."

Esther nodded. She would have to give more thought to Selena's problems. There would be a solution, she was sure. She wished Selena good night and turned to her other task.

Mark would be back in a few minutes. She'd wait until then to start. But she could practice a calming meditation.

When he came in quietly, she opened her eyes. He looked more relaxed than he had, which was good. They relied on him for so much. And now they'd just volunteered him for another mission without asking. More time cramped in the plane and a car.

"Mark, I found the old man from my visions. Selena and I are flying down tomorrow morning, and we'd welcome you along if you would like."

"Of course," he said.

"I have another favor to ask. Right now I'm going to try to contact Javier and Nicola, with the Morse code signal. But it will be very difficult for me. I don't know how long it's safe for me to stay in otherspace right now, but a half hour might be pushing it at this point. Would you distract me out of my meditation if I stay longer than that?"

He nodded and sat down across from her. Esther took a deep breath and opened herself to the space beyond.

She could sense Javier and Nicola faintly, as she had all day with the Watch. But they were encased in the strange geometry surrounding the mountain lake. She pushed and probed, but the link was tenuous. And no matter how many ways she looked at the geometry, she couldn't understand it.

The fact she could sense the two of them meant there was a connection. She searched for ways to strengthen it, but they kept slipping away. She didn't know how much time she had left.

Finally she grabbed as firmly as she could to the slight tendril connecting her to Javier.

Long. Short Long Short.

Each letter was harder than the previous, and soon it felt as though she were yanking on air. She could barely sense Javier and started to panic. But then she felt something way back in her body.

It took some time, but she opened her eyes. Mark was holding her, looking very concerned.

"I'm OK," she said.

"It took me a full minute to rouse you," he said unhappily.

Esther nodded and hugged him. "Thank you. No more of that until I'm properly rested. I might have to wait until we're closer to them again. At least I got a very short message through. They know we're working on it."

* * *

Javier woke slowly, unwilling to let go of the pleasant dream. Nicola's warm weight still pressed unmoving against his back. She was even less of a morning person than he was.

He'd slept better than he expected. But as he slipped out into the bathroom, his worries overtook him. Why hadn't he heard from Esther yet? How could he help plan an escape if the cultists didn't even let him leave this room?

Nicola was awake when he came out, sitting up in bed with her usual grumpy morning expression. Her lacy white bra didn't entirely hide her nipples, and Javier couldn't help but glance. The spots between her breasts seemed brighter than usual, which on Esther meant she was aroused, but Nicola just scowled at him. Maybe this was her equivalent of morning wood.

He brought her some leftover bagels and fruit, and her expression softened.

"Well, I can't wait to see what's in store today," she said. "More meditating, I'm sure. Maybe someone will explain things a bit better."

"Maybe they'll let me out of this room," Javier said. "I'm getting jealous after that gorgeous view you described. I could use a walk, at least."

Nicola nodded. "Surely they'll let you out eventually. I'll ask if they let me talk to anyone in charge."

When she'd dried off from her shower, this time she simply put on the green robe. "Looks like this is my uniform," she said lightly.

Javier walked over to give her a hug so he could talk to her in their private fashion.

<< We should get a few things straight with our story. I'm José Santillo of Reno, and I've been living with you since last fall, some time after everything with Franklin. I was—what? An underemployed car mechanic looking for someone exotic to sweep me off my feet? >>

<< Good. I met you out on errands. And let's say Mark hasn't been around regularly since around the same time last year. We don't know where he is now or exactly who he's working with. Ugh, Javier, I should warn you that I'm feeling worse today than last night. The effects of this place in my sleep, I guess. It's hard to concentrate. >>

Suddenly she stiffened.

<< Javier, some new people are approaching the building. And they have children with them, six or seven kids. They must have another place where the kids live. I saw a smaller building out one window. >>

Damn. Javier had been thinking of what they could do as a distraction, or to help them escape. Something like setting a fire wasn't an option if there were kids in the building.

Before they could say any more, someone began undoing the door latch. It was the same obnoxious guy as yesterday.

"Morning devotions," he said. This time he smiled at Nicola and completely ignored Javier. But as they left he gave Javier a nasty look over his shoulder.

Javier fumed. No doubt the asshole had enjoyed seeing her naked yesterday. Well, good luck with that.

To burn off some frustration, Javier jogged around the room a while, then did some pushups. But then he was just left with his thoughts again.

When Nicola finally returned, he was more irritated than ever. She brought with her a plate of food, apparently for Javier.

"I ate lunch with the others," she said apologetically. "There were about thirty of them, even some kids at the other end of the table. I guess they're home-schooled here or something. Cute kids, really. I wonder what it would be like to grow up in a place like this."

Javier tried to swallow his annoyance. But what would they expect? Of course he'd be pissed off to be stuck in here.

"Did you ask about me getting out? I'm getting pretty sick of this room."

She nodded, seeming distracted. "Still no real answer. I'm not sure who really runs this place, or if there even is one person. I think the elders might discuss things together before making decisions."

Javier sat down to eat.

"How were your devotions? More meditating?"

"Yes," Nicola said, focusing back on him. "And a bit of singing, not that I really knew what the words were about. Something about seeking truths through murky waters and the Chosen's long path to harmonious balance. Nothing offensive. And you know I always loved singing. It's strange. I was never a religious person, but there's a peace here, even with all these other people."

Javier watched her. Of course she was acting, but the best lies were wrapped around truth. And she was being uncomfortably convincing.

Javier finished eating in silence, and Nicola collected his plate along with a few other dishes.

"I have more devotions this afternoon," she said. "I hope you can join sometime."

He had a terror that she was going to walk right back out, but then she kissed him on the forehead.

<< Not doing good, Javier. Feel like a zombie. So much easier to just go along with everything and not fight it. But I'm trying. Almost sensed something in meditations. Words and images. Like the canyon. Maybe they're trying to predict the future. Seeking truths. I love you, Javier. >>

He gaped at her last comment, but Nicola didn't seem to notice. And then the knock came, and she left with the familiar pair of blue-robed women, taking with her the pile of dishes.

She'd left behind a metal fork and knife, and a small ceramic plate. Not accidental. She was fighting. But if they were stuck here much longer it might be up to Javier.

He spent a fruitless few hours imagining scenarios where a dull knife helped him. Maybe he could pry open a window somewhere, if they ever let him out. Maybe with Nicola's help they could break into a vehicle. When the bolt finally clicked on the door, he relaxed.

But it was the asshole, apparently there for him. Javier stood up with a sigh.

He didn't look particularly tough, and Javier briefly imagined trying to overpower him. But that was probably a terrible idea. Everyone here had Changes, and even if Nicola didn't think there were many with powerful abilities, this guy had come by himself for Nicola the first time. They would have sent someone strong enough to handle her.

He followed the man into an airy corridor. They passed several open rooms with larger windows, and he got his first glimpses of the outside. Nicola hadn't lied about the beauty of the place. He smelled the fresh outside air more strongly now. Very similar to the Sierra camp.

The other man took his arm and pushed him into a larger room before closing the door behind him. Javier was left alone with two older women in gray robes, sitting behind a large table. One of them was Samuel's mother, who stared at him with an unblinking intensity. Javier felt a surge of fear.

The other woman was older and looked friendlier. She motioned to a chair on his side of the table, and Javier sat.

"My apologies," said the older woman. "My name is Margaret, and this is Diana. We have been discourteous hosts. Our only excuse is that you are something of an unusual visitor."

"José Santillo," said Javier. "Thank you for your apology. But I can't say I expected much better, given the way you abducted us."

Diana didn't change expression, but Margaret looked honestly chagrined.

"It is an unpleasant approach, I agree. No doubt we could find something better if we were less imperfect vessels. But experience has taught us to err on the side of caution, as inharmonious as those tactics may be. It is all in service of the Way."

Javier nodded slowly. "I don't know what you mean by the Way. Nicola seems to be learning something, but she's still confused as well. Is it a religion that you follow?"

"You would see it like that," said Margaret. "And Nicola may as well, at first. But the Way is more than a religion, and less. It is not about belief, because the Way exists whether we follow it or not. Nicola will understand that soon enough, and she will understand why this is her place."

"But not mine?" Javier asked, letting himself sound a bit panicked. "I don't understand. Nicola always said that her differences didn't matter. You said I wasn't Chosen, and I can guess what that means. But I don't think she'd abandon me."

Margaret gave Diana a sharp look. "You told him he wasn't Chosen?"

Diana frowned and nodded. "You know I can sense such things. He is as I reported."

Margaret sighed and rubbed her forehead.

"José, it's not quite so simple as that. Diana has a particular point of view on this question, but others have different understandings. There are those among us with only the most tenuous ability to join the Union, and still they are equal in their devotions."

"But he has no ability," Diana said flatly.

Margaret looked reprovingly at her. "You know as well as I there are cases. And do you not see why it might be appropriate in this instance? Think of Nicola's future."

A quick, unexpected set of emotions crossed Diana's face. Anger and regret.

Pursing her lips, Diana stared back at Javier.

"Do you truly love her? Enough to stay with her, even with those who will find it hard to accept you as an equal?"

Javier set his jaw. "Yes. Of course I do. But I don't see why it would come to that. You seem awfully sure that she's going to decide to stay here."

Margaret shook her head. "She will decide to stay here. That much is clear already, whether or not she knows it. But you see, for those like her, it is dangerous to have children with others who are more than slightly Blessed among the Chosen. If your love is true, you may be a good partner for her. But there is only one way you may stay among us. You must bind yourself to Nicola, and thereby bind yourself to the Way."

Javier's jaw dropped. Diana rushed in to fill the silence.

"Do you truly understand what Margaret proposes? This is more than marriage means in the outside world. This is a lifelong, unbreakable commitment. You're younger than Nicola, and that's good, but did you know that those Blessed like Nicola can age very slowly? She may outlive you by decades, watching you grow old before her."

Javier found his voice. "We suspected as much, and I actually have thought about that. More than you'd believe. But—this is so sudden. I'd only started thinking about how I might ask her—"

"Do not make this decision lightly," said Margaret. "We will give you time to think and discuss. Even if you and Nicola agree to the binding, it must be approved by the elders."

After a shared glance, the women apparently decided the discussion was concluded. Diana looked out behind Javier, towards the door. As if by magic, the man who'd brought him there entered.

Margaret spoke up. "Mateo, please take José to the dining area so he may pick out food on his own, before returning him to his room. José, we understand your discomfort at being confined to your room. The elders will discuss it further."

There was a large kitchen attached to the dining hall, with a few blue-robed workers wearing aprons. Plenty of silverware everywhere. He was getting a sense of the layout of the place, if they ever had a chance to try for escape. The windows in the dining hall opened, and through them he could see a path away from the small lake, one that he hoped led to vehicle parking.

Mateo glowered at him while he took his time selecting food. It really was good, varied fare. No reason not to eat well as long as he was stuck here.

When they returned to his room, he heard faint noises further down the hall, like humming. That would be the main devotional space, where Nicola presumably was.

Unexpectedly, Mateo came into the room with him, closing the door.

"José," he said, making the name sound like an insult. He leaned to whisper in Javier's ear, and Javier tried not to flinch.

"She is beautiful, isn't she? Glorious, and strong. She's already forgetting about you. It would be easier for everyone if you accepted that soon."

Javier shoved him away roughly, but Mateo just smiled and walked out. He obviously considered Javier no threat, and Javier hated that he was likely right.

Mateo's words burrowed their way into his head. Javier told himself it wasn't jealousy. He was just terrified on Nicola's behalf. Still, the fact Mateo had whispered the words, that gave away a few things. They must all be under instructions to be polite, but that didn't mean they were all of the same mind. More importantly, Mateo was worried about eavesdropping, but not as much as Nicola and Javier were. Their own communication was probably safe, even with Diana in the building. Despite Diana's ability to silently call people to her, the way Esther could.