Unity and Destiny Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Inside was blessedly warm, with ample towels. Everyone dried off and got their robes on. Javier wanted to talk to Nicola, but she was moving ahead with the rest while Henry held him back.

"Sorry," he said apologetically. "Not today for those devotions. But how did you find the swim? Not quite what you expected, eh? Pretty frigid today."

Javier smiled with Henry, and he didn't have to lie.

"Yeah. And it was beautiful."

The pleased look on Henry's face left Javier feeling remarkably guilty. He liked Henry. If you left out all the crazy cult shit, this place was surprisingly friendly.

When Nicola finally returned that evening, she was wearing a blue robe.

* * *

Esther opened her eyes and immediately knew she'd slept longer than she'd intended. The past movements of the friends she tracked flashed through her memory, with many of the trails ending in her house. Of course, her mind would have warned her of any new dangers. Part of her had known how much she needed this rest.

"Hey sleepyhead," said Kat. "We've been busy. Ready to get up to speed?"

She nodded and sat up. Raj and Selena broke off their conversation and walked over, and Mark stopped pacing to take a chair. Grace was in another room, working on a—craft project? Esther shook her head and smiled at the others. A good team. Family.

"I haven't heard from Lukas," said Raj. "We've been arguing about what that means. But we won't get any resources from him."

"Time is vital," said Selena, "But there's no airport close to where we're going. And at the other end we need a vehicle that can handle terrible roads."

Esther smiled. "Jacob," she said. That explained why he'd picked up the truck from the Sierra camp. "He'll be here in twenty minutes."

Kat sighed. "It's so hard to surprise you, isn't it. Sorry, keep going, Selena."

"For the start of our raid on the camp, there are two broad choices. Stealth, or a fast, open attack. But on the way out, stealth won't work. Esther might be able to figure out the trick to get out of there safely. But unless she can somehow work it for everyone, that leaves Mark and Nicola and me stuck. So we'll likely need a vehicle to escape, with Esther or Javier driving. And there's a locked gate and armed guards.

"However, the best choice on the way in is stealth. That way we can get Esther close enough to use her senses best, practice, communicate, distract, gather information, all of that. The more she can do before we blow our cover, the better. That sound right, Esther?"

Esther nodded. "I have to know as much as I can about Nicola's condition, and understand the dangers we face. If I'm close, Javier and Nicola can communicate back with Morse code, but that will be slow."

Selena continued. "Kat and Grace volunteered to stay with the truck, and operate the radio that Raj is so eager to install. The simplest thing to try would be to carefully choose a moment, grab Javier and Nicola, and break our way out. But there are dozens of them. If they all decided to fight, even with Mark we couldn't expect to subdue them without hurting someone badly. Getting out of the ancient place will be tricky even if everything goes right. And we shouldn't be so confident that we'd win, either. These are all Changed people, with unknown strengths. I know you hate guns, Esther, but Mark and I know how to use them. Even just having them as a threat evens the odds."

"Absolutely not," said Esther. "It will be a bad enough mess as it is. The more people we hurt, the harder they'd come after us. And they'd know about Selena and me as well."

"I have to agree," said Raj. "Selena thinks if we overwhelm them with force, they'll be too intimidated to come after us again. But they're desperate, and probably fanatical. We can't risk exposing you, especially. Not unless there's no alternative. But Grace suggested one."

"I went digging for information on the Chosen," said Kat. "I used some terms Selena gave me from, uh, Benjamin Price. A few cryptic hints led me to an invitation-only private bulletin board. They had it bottled up pretty tight, but I still didn't need an invitation. This was a place for ex-Chosen to—I don't know, commiserate. Only a few of them, anonymous even to each other. They all had missing memories, and what they really wanted was to reconstruct things about Unity. These people didn't seem to come from the same Chosen group, and at least one was from another country. There was a lot of argument, but all of them thought there was something big coming. A disaster, or a series of them. War, social breakdown, the usual apocalyptic cult things. One member was a total bigoted asshole, convinced that the others were too soft on the non-Chosen. He was gleeful about this disaster, because he claimed to have seen that it would break the power of the non-Chosen. The others were more worried and confused. They argued endlessly over big and little details. It wasn't just their missing memories. I think Mr. Price's schism is a real thing, and we might be able to use it."

Grace had quietly come in, carrying the thing she'd been sewing together on Esther's machine. It looked like a costume, a black set of layered robes topped by a rather terrifying owl head. The owl had a second identical face that Grace had expertly sewn on the back. The outer robe had several intricate spirals of glittering spots. Like her freckles, Esther realized. Even more like Abuela's.

Grace looked apologetic. "This is for you, Esther. Best I could manage from the funky thrift store downtown. I worked off your clothes, but you'll need to try it on. We didn't think you planned to fight, so you can wear a disguise. And if you show off any of your abilities while wearing this, it will be more than a distraction. I chose the owl because the ex-Chosen were obsessed with clear vision. I doubt they're going to think you're a God or anything, but it's a symbolic message they'll all understand. If you combine that with your power, you're staking a claim to their own traditions. A schism like this means that there will be secret doubts even within this group. If you can imply you see more clearly than they do, there's a better chance you'll be able to walk out of there without resistance."

"Also a better chance they'll decide to rip her apart," said Selena. Obviously they'd argued this point. But Esther was already reaching for the costume.

It fit perfectly. The black robes lay flush to the floor, and the owl head was a strange weight above her head. The costume would even obscure her small stature. There were long black gloves as well, though her hands were hidden unless she lifted the outer layers to raise them.

"Can you could see through that?" asked Grace. "The robes are probably too thick. I can—"

"It's perfect," said Esther. Her ordinary vision was obscured, but that was no real problem for her. The doorbell rang, and she turned to greet Jacob as he came in.

Jacob stopped and stared in shock. Finally he recovered his voice.

"Esther, is that you? Lord, what a terrifying costume. I don't even know which way you're facing."

Esther carefully removed the outfit and beamed at Grace. "It's brilliant. We'll take it along. The rest of the planning we'll have to do on the way, and when we find out what we're facing. Thank you so much, everyone. Let's go get our friends."

* * *

Javier stared at Nicola, dreading what the robe could mean.

Nicola set down dinner for both of them on the table as though nothing had changed. But she had a relaxed, happy energy, completely unlike he'd seen since she got here.

"I finally understand," she said. "Jav—"

"Tell me all about it in a bit," Javier interrupted. "I'm starved and this food looks great. I had a big day, but it looks like yours was bigger."

He kissed her on the cheek and she beamed at him. Her expression was utterly ingenuous. She even looked younger, as though she'd set finally down a heavy weight.

As they ate, a cloud passed over her face, and she shook her head. "It's complicated. I shouldn't be so happy. I learned so much, and a lot of it's terrifying. But no, I'm not supposed to talk about that yet. Secrets. Let me think about what I can say."

She was going to blurt out his name again. Or more. What had she told them already?

Javier finished his food quickly and got up to hug Nicola.

"Hey. I got kind of sweaty playing soccer. Want to get in the shower together?"

Nicola's grin widened, and she nodded, putting down her food. She wasn't as hungry now that she'd stopped fighting. No, that wasn't fair. Now that they'd finally worn down her resistance.

Nicola pressed her naked body against his back while he adjusted the water. He didn't like this a bit. Last night was bad enough, but she wasn't in her right mind now. But if she was going to talk, maybe the water noise would be enough to muffle her words.

She turned him around when they got in the shower together, kissing him and grinding her hips against his. The water sluiced over and between them, and it felt amazing.

<< Nicola >>, he said desperately. << Are you in there? >>

She didn't seem to notice at all. He turned her head and kissed her earlobe, causing her to laugh. Then he whispered right in her ear.

<< I'm José Santillo. Esther and Mark are on their way, and they love you so much, Nicola. We all do. Keep fighting for who you are. >>

Nicola pulled away, giving him a confused look. And then something passed in front of her face, and she winced, holding her head. When she looked at him again, there was terrified need in her expression. She kissed him on the forehead.

<< Fuck me, Javier. Fuck me first. Have to push that Unity shit away. >>

She dropped to her knees, encircling his half-hard cock and sliding a finger back towards his asshole. The sudden jolt of arousal nearly caused him to fall over. In just seconds his cock was at full attention.

Tonight it had to be about Nicola, not him. All he wanted was to turn her around and fuck her senseless. Maybe that was what Nicola wanted as well, but he just couldn't do it, not like this.

He yanked her hair back and shoved her against the back of the tub. She laughed, letting Javier haul her to her feet, finding his hard cock and guiding it toward her pussy. But Javier fell to his knees, holding her thighs and bringing his mouth between her legs.

He tried to replicate exactly what he'd done yesterday. Slower than she wanted, but with a hand stroking the freckles along her thigh.

"Thumb," she moaned. "Inside me."

Javier did what she asked. Her pussy gripped his thumb like iron, far tighter than he'd expected. When he got it in to the base, she started to shudder, and he did everything he could to imagine this was Esther. Some future Esther, with a different body. The woman he wanted to spend his life with.

She was grunting and swearing, and when she finally came she nearly broke his thumb. Still, it wasn't anything like last night had been. This was just him servicing her. Maybe he'd been wrong to go about it this way.

Finally she collapsed, sitting down in the tub with a thump. Javier turned and leaned against her, hoping. She rested her mouth against his head, and he waited.

<< Please, Nicola >>, he said silently. << Talk. >>

<< Javier. I'm here, barely. Everything's confused. Diana was at Unity. So strong, too watchful. I couldn't stop. Didn't go all the way in, but too far. I can still feel them. Love them all, and hate that I love them. Just the goddamned Unity in my skull. Monsters with friendly faces. Should burn this place to the ground. Saw the future, Javier, and it's terrifying. San Francisco, vast and silent and dark on a moonless night. Flames from a burning refinery reflected in deserted skyscrapers. This place, with even more people, some tents. Burned-out cars barricading the entrance, children cowering in the main building. Fighter jets screaming overhead. Adults in Unity meditations, trying to hide this place from everything, terrified the food will run out, or someone will drop a bomb, or who knows. Shouldn't be able to see the future. Impossible, but I know it will happen, all of it. Save yourself, Javier. I'm lost. >>

Nicola suddenly started to sob against him, and Javier held her arms tight.

"Need to bring them all here," she muttered. "Mark, Esther, Raj, everyone. Only way to save them."

"Ssh," Javier said more loudly. "It's all right. I wish I knew what was so terrifying. This place seems like a dream, truthfully. I guess the blue robe means you want to stay. Don't worry, Nicola. I'll stay with you. All our old friends are gone, anyway. I think I could love it here."

Nicola slowly stopped crying, and she pressed herself against him.

"That's right," she said. "Here forever. There are secrets, though. So hard not to tell you, it's so important. They say you can't join Unity, and maybe that's true, but I wish you could. It's like—like nothing else."

"So let me tell you about my day instead," Javier said. "You know I got to go outside, and it's more spectacular than I could imagine ..."

He turned off the water, and he talked and talked, telling her about everything and everybody, even Eva. He spun fantasies of life with her, feeling her sigh and relax more the further he talked of the future. Kids. Expanding the buildings, showing off her construction skills. Working in the big garden he thought he'd seen past the buildings. And finally Nicola started falling asleep.

They were mostly dry by now. He stood up carefully and bent over.

It was hard to pick her up this way, but she helped him a little as he carried her to bed. He wouldn't get that help when Esther and Mark finally came for them. And he'd have to smash Nicola's head fast enough that she didn't see it coming.

* * *

Esther had fallen asleep, but she woke as soon as they approached the ancient place.

Selena was doing the last stretch of driving, the road getting worse and worse as she went. Selena had picked a long route on little-used roads that took them around the opposite side of the lake, keeping them well away from the guarded front entrance. They'd have miles to cover on foot, but Esther had been working out lately, doing some slow running with Javier. She would manage it.

She was squeezed in the back of the truck between Kat and Grace, and apparently she'd fallen asleep against Grace. Javier would've been beyond embarrassed if he'd done that. She hoped he was still safe. Alive, certainly, in the same room he was most of his time, presumably asleep along with Nicola. Now that they were this close, it was obvious they were in the same bed. They must both be so terrified, without even hearing from the outside. Well, she could fix that now.

Closing her eyes, she reached into otherspace, wincing as she negotiated the baffling geometry of the ancient place. But she was close enough for a more solid connection to both of them. Carefully she began her short message to Javier. They were asleep, so she'd likely have to send it a second time for both of them.

<< We're here. >>

Javier roused quickly, and to her surprise he rolled out of bed before she finished her message. He was waving his arms wildly. Alarmed, she paused, and then he started to pace, more deliberately, back and forth.

He was replying in Morse code with his whole body, not sure how well she could sense him. Slow but clear.

<< Nicola brainwashed. Just me. >>

"Javier says they've already brainwashed Nicola," Esther said, breaking the silence in the truck. "We can only communicate with him. And there's something else. They have children here. I wish I'd looked for that before. It stands to reason."

"Damn," said Selena. "This is going to be hard. How are you doing? Still all right?"

"I can feel the place, but I'm not in any danger yet. I'll start testing my meditations when we get closer."

"If we have to stop for you to practice, so be it," said Selena. "We need you able to use your abilities fully in there."

"I'll let Javier know it might be a while," said Esther.

Javier didn't reply to that message, but he got back into bed with Nicola. The lack of reply meant he was worried about people in the building watching him. Morse code certainly wasn't very secure. When she was closer she'd tell him he could be more subtle about it.

Esther watched in otherspace and focused. Turning her senses on herself. She did that incidentally all the time, but she knew what Benjamin described was something different. She shuddered as the truck began to move through the outer layers of the ancient place's geometry. She'd hoped her mind could make better sense of it as she moved inside, but as she'd suspected it was merely making concentration difficult. She reached and found her companions' hands, and Kat and Grace gripped hers without asking questions.

She could feel her heartbeat, the blood flowing in her veins. If she truly had Nicola's skill she could probably diagnose the tiniest injuries and all the intricate feedbacks that would normally lie far beneath conscious thought. Though Nicola said bodies were hard, and she hadn't even wanted to try since she'd killed Andrew.

Esther tried to draw her senses to herself, forgetting everything of the outside world. Even letting the Watch drop for a few moments. She was able to do that now, without too much panic.

It helped. She felt herself relax as the alien geometry receded in her mind, part of a world too vast to affect her.

The reprieve might be enough to let her escape the ancient place under her own power. Maybe this was what Benjamin had been describing. But she couldn't be of any help with her senses drawn so close. She let out a sigh, opening her senses again and squeezing her friends' hands. The oppressive sense of place slammed back into her, but it was still tolerable.

She knew they secretly hoped she would come up with something miraculous. Drop a meteor into the lake or something. Knock everyone out with her mind. But Grace's plan of smoke and mirrors was the best idea yet, if she could make it work.

What did they see in her, anyway? She wasn't an angel from heaven, the way her parents had hoped. She wasn't the paragon of virtue Abuela had seen. She was selfish and needy and lonely just like everyone else. She was a pathetic lover for Javier. And she was a freak even by Chosen standards. Benjamin's sister had seen it and thought it meant she would be a Messiah or something. And Benjamin—

She started shaking with the anger and tears she hadn't let herself feel. No, no, not now. She couldn't afford to do this. Selena was braking the truck. She felt Kat and Grace hugging her, saying they would figure it out together.

"No, keep going," she mumbled. "It's not the place. I'm just upset. I'll be OK."

But she wouldn't, not ever.

The Esther she was today had been born of lies and death and rape. Rape, that was what it was, or something close enough. Those dreamers couldn't have agreed to do what they did, yet Benjamin hadn't cared. And then the first Esther's death had been required for her idyllic childhood. How could the Way have predicted that in advance, and not shown someone how to save that poor drowned child instead? What was the use of such power if it was so cruel that it made even Benjamin flinch?

She still couldn't quite believe the Way had such predictive power. Quantum mechanics should forbid it. Just as it should forbid so much of what she did, but she'd convinced herself the butterflies and the altered foldings were a loophole. Rare occasions where she could tip the balance. No doubt the Way was just a vaster version of that, beyond her comprehension just as the geometry of this ancient place was. Just as God's vision for humanity was, if there was a God paying the slightest attention.