Unlikely Lovers

Story Info
Love knows no bounds or age.
8.3k words
20.3k
13
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Burn yerself out studyin' Tess?"

I glanced from staring into the bottom of my empty coffee cup to see Joe, one of the old men that came into Quick-N-Good, smiling at me. I must have looked as bad as I felt because his smile faded. He sat across from me and took a sip of coffee. I went back to staring into the empty cup.

"Trouble with school... or boyfriend trouble?"

I gave a half hearted chuckle over the last part and shook my head. Since entering the respiratory therapist program, all I had time for was work, school, and studying. Now it looked like my hard work was for nothing. I figured Joe was just making conversation, like he always did. He didn't care my world was crumbling and I didn't want to hear his fake pity. I put on the best cheerful expression I could muster and looked up at him.

What I saw can only be described as a fatherly expression, like he was waiting for me to unburden my problems so he could make it better. I stared at him for what seemed like an hour, but was probably less than a minute. He patiently waited, sipping his coffee. Those soft hazel eyes of his remained fixed on me, urging me to tell him. Maybe it was that look, I'm not sure, but I just spilled out what had to sound like a soap opera episode only it really happened...to me.

"I had a fight with my mom and left home. I've been sleeping here for the past two weeks. You know Sharon, the manager. She came in early today and caught me. She threatened to fire me if I ever do it again. I can't afford school and a place to live. I'm gonna have to quit school."

Joe rubbed his hand over his facial stubble. "No chance mom will let you move back home?"

I shook my head. "Too many things were said that can't be taken back."

Sharon came around with the coffee and refilled Joe's cup. She gave me the 'break's over' look. I nodded my head and held up my cup with my fingers about an inch apart. "Only a couple more minutes, I promise."

She glanced at Joe, then back to me. She poured the short refill. Her look said I was pushing it. I turned my attention back to Joe. His eyes narrowed and his brow wrinkled. I sensed the conversation wasn't over. I was right.

"Your friends may buy it Tess, but I don't. Why you really sleeping here?"

I'd told Sharon about the fight, not what caused it. Joe was waiting, watching me.

"My mom's boyfriend. I didn't hear him come home. I was in my room changing when he grabbed me. I was partially dressed when mom came home and found us. He shoved me on the bed and hurried over to her. He said I asked him to fix my light and then attacked him. He was trying to fight me off.

"I said her boyfriend was lying. He was trying to rape me. The sleazy bastard gave me the creeps; the way he looked at me when she wasn't around."

I must have lowered my voice because when I looked up he was leaning over the table. His brow was still wrinkled. I took a sip of coffee; he did too.

"Her boyfriend looked shocked. I figured he was history. Mom would throw him out."

Joe's face became blurry. I felt a handkerchief pressed into my hand. It took a moment to get it back together and clear the tears.

"I underestimated the bastard. He put on this sad face; took mom's hand and looked into her eyes. He said he tried to avoid me, but I wouldn't leave him alone. He'd thought about telling her before, but didn't want to cause trouble. He was hoping I'd give up and leave him alone, but lately I'd gotten worse. Now I'd tried to undress him, and when he stopped me, I threatened to tell her that he'd offered money for sex. Next thing I know, mom's screaming at me to get the hell out. That bastard's standing behind her with this shit-eating grin. How could she believe that son of a bitch over her own daughter?"

Joe looked down at his coffee cup and slowly turned it. He looked at me for a moment and swallowed the last of his coffee.

"When do you get off Tess?"

"We close at ten. I'm outta here by ten thirty if it's slow and we can do some of the clean up before closing, otherwise eleven. Why?"

"Meet me at the Denny's by the interstate when you finish. I'll buy the coffee."

He reached over and lightly patted my arm. I know it was a simple gesture, but it made me feel like someone cared that I had a problem.

"We'll figure out an answer to your problem."

He watched me for a minute; maybe waiting for me to say something. Finally he stood. "So, I'll see you tonight?"

I thought about it a moment. I had nothing to lose listening to his idea. "Yeah, I'll be there...thanks for listening."

He nodded and walked away. I returned to the counter and Sharon's icy glare.

~*~

A waving hand from a booth by the windows caught my attention. I saw Joe lean into the aisle and waved back. He must have signaled the waitress because she miraculously appeared with the coffee. I didn't give much hope to Joe having the solution. I didn't see a quick fix to my problem. I came up with living in my car and asking around if someone needed a roommate to share the rent. My other choice was forget school and find a furnished apartment. The weather was my concern right now. The radio said freezing temperatures until the weekend. It added to my nervousness about living in the car. I heard Joe clear his throat, and looked up to see him watching me. He looked tired. I set down the spoon and gave him my complete attention.

"Tess, I'm too tired to just sit around, so I'll give you my idea. I live about six miles away near Sandy Creek. I have a spare bedroom you can use for as long as you need. My conditions are there will be no parties or boyfriends staying over. You help with the housework as payment."

This was too good to be true...and that's why the red warning lights started flashing big time. People who weren't family didn't offer help like this without strings.

"Why you doin' this Joe? If it's to fuck the black girl, you're out of luck. I'm not lookin' for a sugar daddy."

Joe looked around to see if anyone was staring at us. His face was ashen, except for a slight red tinge in his cheeks. He leaned over the table; his voice a little above a whisper.

"You got the wrong impression; that isn't why I offered to help. I like you...you talk to me when I come in. I listen. You're not like those other kids, just looking for the next good time. You're trying to make something out of your life. You've hit a bad patch. I'm just offering a helping hand, no strings."

He leaned back and stared out the window. I could see the hurt on his face. I'd acted like a real ass. What was I thinking blurting that out? You'd think I'd have learned a little tact in college. He'd offered a helping hand, and I slapped his face, kicked him in the gut, and called him a dirty old man. He didn't deserve that.

"Joe, I'm sorry. I figured you were like all the rest. Men I've met assume they have the right to rub, squeeze, or grope if I so much as accept a drink. I hope you can understand my concern when you offered a place to stay."

Joe turned back from the window. The hurt look was still there, but starting to fade.

"I'm sorry Tess. I hadn't thought about how it would sound to you. I have the spare bedroom and you needed a place to stay. I didn't think about it sounding like a request for sex. Must be an age thing. Believe me, expecting sex never crossed my mind. If you can't accept my offer and you're ready to leave, follow me to the motel next door and I'll rent you a room for a couple of days. It'll give you time to find a place to live."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I insinuate he's a predator, and he still offers to help. I reached over and covered his hand with both of mine. The man was a genuine knight in shining armor.

"Thanks for the offer, but if it's okay with you, I'd like to try your spare room and see if it works out."

~*~

I followed behind him as Joe drove north out of Stockwell and into the countryside. We turned off the highway and zigzagged our way down two lane asphalt roads until he turned onto a gravel drive. We traveled a few hundred feet more before stopping under a yard light by a small ranch style house. I saw Joe's headlights go out, so I did the same and turned off the car. I got out and looked around. I'd never been in the country at night. It was nothing like night in the city. This was dark... very dark and quiet.

"Tess."

I turned to find Joe standing a couple feet away.

"I'll help you carry in your stuff. Give me something and I'll go unlock the door."

I handed him a garbage bag of clothes and pulled another out for myself. He took that one too and headed for the house. I grabbed a bag and hurried to catch up.

Joe flipped on the lights and held the door for me. I took a couple of steps inside and dropped my bag. It was like stepping back in time. When I was little, my grammie had an overstuffed couch like his only it was green, not maroon.

"Before you ask, everything came with the house when I bought it. The realtor said it was an estate sale. The daughter lived out of state and took what she wanted. I could have the rest or the seller would pay to have it removed. I know it doesn't look great, but it's functional."

"It looks nice and cozy. You mentioned being tired. Why don't you show me where my room is so you can get some sleep. I have an early class myself."

Joe picked up the bags he carried in and walked across the room into a hallway and turned right. Seconds later, a light came on. I picked up my bag and headed for the light. It must have been the daughter's room; pastel green walls and lacy ivory curtains. There was a full size bed with a steel tube head and footboard of chipped cream colored paint covering the original flat black. A handmade patchwork quilt of pink and ivory covered the bed. A homemade rectangular nightstand with one shelf was painted the same color as the headboard and held a small hobnail lamp with a pink shade. An old dark wood dresser against the far wall looked to be a hand-me-down. Setting on top of it was a white hobnail vase holding three plastic pink roses and some plastic greenery. Bare nails and faded outlines gave evidence that someone's memories once decorated the walls.

Joe looked at my three black garbage bags we'd set by the dresser.

"You got anything else to bring in before I go to bed?"

"I have two bags left. If you can give me a hand, I'd appreciate it."

Joe brought in the one bag and I struggled with the other. I opened the closet and looked inside. I could see a dozen wire hangers on the wooden rod. I couldn't see one so I waved my hand hoping to find the pull string for the light.

"The closets don't have lights, so don't bother looking for one."

I turned to see him watching me. He pointed toward the hallway.

"You passed the bathroom. You'll see towels and other bathroom stuff on the shelves once you close the door. My room is at the other end of the hall."

I heard Joe running water in the bathroom as I began emptying a bag to see what I brought with me. I'd hurriedly grabbed whatever I could and stuffed them in black garbage bags. My dirty clothes were tossed in with the clean. I had books and other stuff mixed in with the clothes. All I wanted to do was get the hell away from there.

I tossed the clothes that were dirty or too wrinkled in a pile to be washed. The clean wearable ones were either hung up or folded and placed in the dresser. Non clothes were set on the floor in the vacant corner of the room.

Joe knocked lightly on the door frame. I looked over my shoulder to see him standing in the doorway, still dressed in the clothes he'd worn tonight.

"If you've no questions, I'm goin' to bed. Five thirty will come too soon tomorrow or should I say today?"

"Night Joe, and thanks. I'll grab a shower in a minute and z-out myself. Could you get me up when you do, I have a class at eight? I'll look for my alarm clock tomorrow."

"I'll wake you as soon as I start the coffee. Sleep well."

I watched him walk down the hallway and close his bedroom door. A minute later, the light shining under his door went out. As nice as he seemed, I was still feeling uneasy and decided to be cautious around him.

I finished the bag I'd started to unpack and then called it a night. The shower felt wonderful after having to wash up in Quick-N-Good's restroom. I felt a little better that the bathroom door locked. I'd grabbed a tee shirt and fresh underwear to sleep in, but still wore my jeans to the bathroom and back.

My anxiety returned when I closed my bedroom door and saw it didn't lock. My mind went into overdrive thinking the worst. I sat up in bed and listened for his footsteps.

I woke to find myself slumped against the hard headboard. It was still dark outside and Joe never came. I piled some books against the door, slipped out of my jeans, and climbed under the covers. I lay on my side watching the door until sleep once again claimed me.

~*~

"What the hell!"

The loud intrusion to my peaceful slumber brought a scream as I leaped out of bed. It was just getting light outside. I squinted at the light coming through the doorway to see Joe looking from me to the books now scattered across the floor. The expression on his face was one of shock, which soon turned to sadness over my lack of trust.

"I'm sorry Joe, but when I found the door didn't lock I couldn't sleep. All these images kept flashing in my mind."

Joe nodded his head. As he walked away, he looked like he was regretting his offer.

I dressed and took my purse to the bathroom for the only mirror I knew of in the house. I ran my pick through my short natural cut. I would have loved to have straight, shoulder length hair, but the extra expense was out of the question until school was finished. The way Joe looked, school could be over. I put on the only lipstick I'd found, frosted pink, and hoped that woman in the mirror could save me.

I felt the tension as soon as I entered the kitchen. Joe was sitting at the table eating cold cereal. His other hand gripped his mug of steaming coffee. He glanced my way, then returned to his breakfast without acknowledging my existence.

An empty mug was in front of the coffeemaker. He'd placed a loaf of wheat bread next to the toaster and a box of Cheerios on the counter. I filled the mug and sat across from him. I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but I needed him to forgive my mistrust again. I needed this place if I wanted to finish school.

I sipped my coffee and for the first time really looked at Joe. I'd noticed the short chestnut hair turning silver and brown-green hazel eyes before along with the relaxed smile that was missing today. His face looked older with more lines than I remembered. He also had a scar below his right ear that I'd never noticed either. From this angle, his bushy two-toned mustache hid his upper lip.

"Joe." I waited until he looked at me. "I want to apologize for the way I acted. You've done nothing to warrant my behavior. You've been nothing but wonderful. All I can say in my defense is everyone I've ever trusted has let me down. I promise to try real hard not to act like an untrusting ass again. Will you please forgive me?"

I saw a little smile appear. "Some part of you must trust me. You were sleeping like the dead. I knocked twice before I tried to open the door. I was worried you'd oversleep."

I smiled back, feeling a little sheepish. "The rest of me wants to trust you too."

"You better eat something if you've gotta be at the college by eight. It's at least twenty minutes farther than you've been driving. When you comin' back? I can't find the other house key, so I'll stop after work and have one made."

I had to stop a minute and think about my day. "I've got two classes today plus working the lunch rush. I won't be back until at least five."

Joe scribbled something on a piece of paper he got off the counter by the phone and stuck it in his shirt pocket. He brought the coffee carafe back to the table and topped off my mug before returning to the counter and filling a thermos. It was then that I noticed Joe had an old black lunchbox on the counter. He fitted the thermos inside and closed the lid. "Time for me to go. Lock the door when you leave and I'll see you around five."

I assumed I was forgiven. Joe got my best smile, complete with dimples. I listened to him drive off and then made myself a bowl of cereal. I made sure to clean the kitchen before I left for school. I wanted Joe to see he made the right decision.

~*~

I got to Joe's a little before six. I missed my turn and got lost. I had to return to the first asphalt road and try again. I was greeted by the sound of manual labor when I stepped inside the house. I found a tool box by the bathroom and Joe making racket on the other side of the closed door. I tapped on the bathroom door. "Joe, I'm back."

"Be out in a minute. What time is it?"

"After six. I got lost."

I heard a 'shit' as something hit the floor. "This took longer than I thought. I was going to fix dinner. Can you heat the oven for that pizza in the freezer?"

Wow, he cooked. Joe was at Quick-N-Good so often I assumed he ate out every night. "I'll take care of it. Anything else you want with it, maybe a salad?"

"That was my plan. The stuff's in the fridge."

I set the oven temperature and began working on the salad. Joe had bought a tomato, a large bag of chopped romaine and leaf lettuce, and a bottle of French dressing. I made two individual salads and started the pizza. I heard Joe still working.

"Fifteen minutes 'till dinner Joe."

"Almost done, just have to clean up."

I turned as he walked into the kitchen carrying the tool box. He opened a door I thought led out to the yard, to reveal another room. He set his toolbox on the floor in the corner and turned around to catch me looking inside. It was small, but had room enough for a washer and dryer. There was a shelf above them with detergent, assorted cleaners, a bucket, and an assortment of small boxes and coffee cans with paper notes taped on them.

Joe smiled as he made an exaggerated sweep with his arm. "This is the utility room. Washer and dryer. Broom, mop, and other cleaning things are hanging next to you. This other door goes outside. There's a small building out back with the riding mower and other junk that doesn't need to be in the house. This completes the fifty cent tour. Ain't much, but it serves my needs. I'll wash up and be right back."

I had the table set when he returned. I'd put glasses of water on the table because I didn't think he wanted coffee with pizza and I hadn't found anything else to serve.

He looked at the table and I heard a 'shit' for the second time tonight. Joe went into the utility room and returned a minute later carrying two big bottles of Coke, one regular and the other diet.

"I left them on the back steps to get cold. They're too big for the fridge. I knew you drank soda; I didn't know if it was diet or not so I bought both."

I emptied the glasses in the sink and put a couple of ice cubes in each glass.

"I'll have the regular."

Joe set aside the Diet Coke and filled both glasses with Coke Classic. We began eating in silence. I watched Joe as he picked the sliced tomato off the salad and set it on his plate. I picked at my salad, not being that fond of French dressing. We both removed the green peppers from the supreme pizza he'd bought. I noticed Joe was watching me with interest. We evidently came to the same conclusion. We knew each other, but didn't know anything about each other.

I giggled at our situation and that brought a chuckle from Joe. He stabbed a chunk of tomato with his fork and held it at eye level.

"I've hated fresh tomatoes since I was a kid. I thought I saw you eat a salad with tomato on it, that's why I bought it. You picked at the salad. You hate tomatoes too?"