Untraditional Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I took my customary space in the inner circle, opposite the council next to Aleki and the children. Rob stood with Aleki's prompting and the others took their places and paid their attention to him.

"Members of the Kupuna, family, and all others," he began. "If there are a few things I know, it's how confusing customs and traditions can be and how hard it is for people to change."

Rob stopped and took a breath, letting everyone consider what he'd said.

"Aleki and I have been blessed by the gods. Blessed with great riches. We wish to share those blessings with you. With the council's permission, we propose these things:

One. We wish to purchase a newer, more reliable communication tower on Emae Island. This will allow people here and on three other islands to establish links to the rest of the world without traveling great distances.

Two. We wish to hire more people and boats to offer ferry service three days per week."

Rob paused again as people were looking at one another. I could tell he wasn't sure if what he said sank in. I was just about to explain in the island language when Aleki beat me to it. When she finished, she nodded at her husband, for him to continue.

"Three," Rob said. "We wish to donate to the community for a grand lodge, built for visitors, but in the absence of visitors, it can be used for community purposes."

Aleki explained now as a translator. Puko stirred in his spot, trying to appear patient.

"All of this, we wish to give you," he took one more deep breath. "If you will accept it."

There was plenty of stammering and muffled discussion. It sounded positive.

"And," Rob finished. "You must vote to put an end to Ke Ala polohiwa a Kanaloa. The tradition is outdated. The last of those generations sit right here among you."

Rob remained standing as the temperature around the inner and outer circles changed. Puko saw the opportunity before him. He quickly stood, shouting for all to listen.

"How very generous," he waved towards us with a mocking tone. "To bring our island into the modern Western culture and trade our happiness in the process. Who benefits from this? Is it only Aleki and her husband? Why wait until Moana is gone to the spirits to announce this? I'll tell you brothers because she would have opposed it."

He sneered viciously at Rob. "All we have to do is displease our gods by denying our long-held traditions. As your leader, I will not stand for it. Give us money to improve the community as is but there will be no expansion, no additional ferries."

The rumbling was louder now. The elders caucused, now with Puko leading the conversation.

My husband turned quickly and addressed Aleki. He spoke in our language. "Where is your mana, sister? Have you lost it in the Western world? Why do you let this outsider speak for you? Why do you turn your back on your people?"

I was about to interject again but my sister stood and whispered into Rob's ear. She was translating what Puko had said, belittling him further. The expression on Rob's face turned to an evil smile.

"Where is your mana?" he addressed all in attendance, both inner and outer circles. "Does this fat, arrogant man speak for all of you? Has he been anointed your king? Is he a god? A god of his own making?"

I shuddered at the words. Puko would not tolerate the disrespect. He literally couldn't. Rob continued even as Puko made to speak over him.

"We do not say to stop your solstice celebration. Continue the tradition, but no more of the Ke Ala polohiwa a Kanaloa. Look about. Your offspring will travel beyond this place. Do you wish to subject them and their wives and husbands to that ancient and degrading practice?"

While many of those who spoke English explained to those around them, Puko seemed to be deep in thought. He was losing his control over what appeared to be half the villagers.

"Rob," he announced. "The village has spoken. We do not want your donation. You will leave tomorrow. Aleki will stay and perform her family duties at the solstice."

That caused an uproar among the attendees that even I didn't expect. Puko was right about one thing, the community was split right down the middle. Aleki once again whispered to her husband and then took her seat.

"It looks like," he waved out over the crowd, "many here do not agree with you, Jon."

"I propose a challenge!" Rob spoke up loudly. "I challenge you for the right."

Puko was now smiling, too. He wasn't stupid, though. His mind was racing to determine any downside to a challenge. Kai, one of the elders was pulling on his leg, almost begging him to sit down and discuss it with the rest, as per the law and tradition.

"I accept your challenge!" Puko announced. "When I win, you will leave this island and never return. Aleki will be assimilated back into her culture. Your offspring will be cared for by a midwife and their mother. I will accept the fatherly duties and restore their mana."

He completely ignored Aleki's place in the global community, no longer the daughter of our small island. It was clear he didn't care. The real shock, recalling his revelations to those men I'd overheard that night, was that he was intent on again taking from Rob his wife, my sister, as if she was something to be bartered. The bile rose within me, stark with the realization of what may happen if he defeated Rob.

Aleki looked horrified as I'm sure I did. The disturbance within the onlookers did not die off. My sister looked at Rob with pleading eyes, concerned for her fate. Rob only nodded his assurance.

"And," he said, addressing all, "when I win, the tradition will be broken. You will leave the council and, if you cause anyone of these people a problem, I'll remove you from this island myself."

I'd never seen Puko so smug, not even when he was fucking me on that mountain. People in the outer circle made way, giving the combatants room. Rob pulled his shirt over his head and I saw the lean toned muscles. I think Puko was so enraged that he missed it. The two men moved further out onto the soft deep sand.

"I'm going to kick your fucking ass, Rob," Puko barked with a smile. "Just like old times. I'm going to enjoy this."

Rob said nothing, seeming to steady himself with some deep breaths in and out. Puko rushed him. Pa-pow! His signature one-two punch. Rob was quickly on his backside looking up but not bleeding, yet.

It happened fast, but right as Puko was attacking, I heard Ikaika scream, "Kill him, Father!"

My mouth flew open but then little four-year-old Steven waddled up to Ikaika and pushed him from behind as small children do. I was so astonished at my son's next move. I almost didn't grab his arm in time. He was about to punch the little guy.

"Ikaika!" I yelled and wrapped him up in my arms as I went to my knees. I looked at Aleki and she'd seen it, too.

Rob curled or contorted his body, one leg under his ass, then sprang the other out and straight up. His kick didn't contact Puko but it did make him take one step back.

The villagers looked on in confusion and awe. Rob began into what looked like a ritual fighting dance - weight on one leg, the other trailing a semi-circle in the sand with the ball of his foot. His arms moved from side to side as his body moved at right angles to itself.

I'd seen this before. When Rob and I were married, I remember seeing it on one of the UFC channels. Some sort of Brazilian, I didn't remember, maybe karate. I do remember it looked so out of place for a fighting style. More like break-dancing.

Puko stepped in looking to attack. He was all brawn. Rob easily side-stepped him. A jab to the face, a foot to the side of the head, another punch to the lung. He'd step back only to be met with one of Rob's long legs. Still, he persisted. Puko was older but still a solid specimen.

After another five minutes, Puko didn't look so confident. Rob was slowly, methodically picking him apart with arms, hands, feet, and calves. After receiving a heel to the solar plexus, he staggered back catching his breath.

"Come on, Jon," Rob taunted. "The big pudgy savage looks tired. You disappoint me, Brah."

Puko seemed determined but also knew he needed to change his strategy. He took one deep breath, watching Rob's footwork and charging at the right moment, caught him flat-footed.

Both men sailed through the air. If not for the sand, Rob would have been concussed. As it was, he was stunned as his head hit the sand hard. Puko immediately began a barrage of punches to the face.

I couldn't look but I had to. Rob was desperately trying to defend himself but Puko's punches were so forceful that Rob was getting hit in the face with his own arms. Finally, I saw his hand go out to the side and, grabbing a fistful of sand, threw it in Puko's face.

As Puko instinctively moved back slightly Rob's knee came up hard into his balls. Then, a hard strike to Puko's throat made him roll off and away.

Rob quickly got to his feet, his face resembling a rocket attack.

"Get up, you fat fuck!" he demanded.

Puko got to one knee, holding his throat with one hand and his testicles with the other. I stood up, ready to address the people but Puko had one more go in him, launching himself up and toward Rob.

Rob was ready for him, though. The roundhouse and the momentum sent Puko flying to one side, face-down in the sand.

I found my voice, finally. "Is this your leader?" I yelled with a vengeance in our language.

"Has my village lost its mana?" Aleki joined me as Rob was still taunting Puko to get up.

The people had been stunned and those questions dragged them out of their reverie. They began looking at each other.

"Aloha!" I said, raising my arm into the air.

A few others mimicked me. Then the chant began in earnest.

"Aloha! Aloha!" They raged in anger. Needless to say, they weren't using the word to say 'hello'.

>>>>

Much happened over the next few days. Jon was removed from the council. I no longer called him Puko. Kai was nominated and later voted in as the council leader.

Three men took Jon up onto the mountain to help him restore his mana. He'd be there a while.

As the ferry pulled away from the docks, Aleki, Rob, and I, along with the children waved to the villagers who were there to see us off. It wasn't quite as big a number but so what?

"Where are we going, Mother?" Ikaika asked, a look of concern on his young face.

"To find our mana, son," I told him, smiling at Aleki.

I looked at Rob. He seemed happy, yet puffy. "Thank you, Rob."

"For what?" he asked looking at me.

"For what you did," I told him sincerely. "How'd you learn to fight like that?"

"Oh," he chuckled, "Four years of Capoeira. It started to just keep me in shape. I need it with this one." He pulled Aleki in close to him. I knew what he meant.

A temporary twinge of jealousy overcame me. I know my sister picked up on it. I was heading into the unknown to start a new life by myself. Thankfully, I had my boy.

Rob and Aleki had it all figured, by contrast. For once, I didn't immediately think, 'That should be me.' That ship had sailed long before the one we stood upon. I was finally happy for the two of them. They deserved the happiness.

Epilogue:

Dear diary:

The day I left for Maui, I was afraid. Afraid my life was over, afraid that there was more penance to pay, afraid the gods would never allow me to balance my mana.

In two years, I've found meaningful work in my field. Ikaika made friends, and those friends have relatives who do scuba tours for mainlanders. It pays good money and he's found something he loves. Getting him away from Jon has been a godsend. Life truly does go on.

I still felt the pangs of loneliness. That was until six months ago when I met Mark. He's in international finance and does quite well for himself. I told him about my life - the whole truth - on our third date. He'd been burned by a gold-digging ex-wife so I knew I had to come clean if we were to have any chance at all. I wanted that chance because I really liked him.

Mark didn't reciprocate after my confession. I often found him aloof or looking at me strangely. Of course, I knew what he was thinking. Less than a month after I told him my tale of woe, we went our separate ways. My mana seemed to have abandoned me.

Emae Island has seen its share of improvements. Some of the villagers from my island have moved there and they tell me it's been nicknamed 'Little Hawai'i'.

I'm headed home this week. Alone. I've come to realize that I won't ever get my life back on track in terms of another meaningful relationship if I don't make amends. I plan to petition the council and ensure, to the best of my abilities, that the Polohiwa a Kanaloa will never be performed again.

My son is my pride and joy and we're lucky he has thrived given the travails. Aleki and I are not as close as I'd like but we care for each other as sisters and that is fine by me. The constant reminder of my behavior so long ago is seeing her, Rob, and their children.

Seeing Rob still churns feelings deep within me although I know there will never be a second act between us. He'd told me upon his return to the island that I was forgiven but I can sense that isn't true. It never will be and I've come to accept that. How could it, after what I'd done to him? I no longer blame Mother, Puko, or even a stupid tradition. I've also come to understand that I have to reflect on that part of my life, move forward, and do better. After all, that was the entire point laid out by our ancestors in strengthening our mana, something I and some of the other villagers lost sight of along the way.