All Comments on 'Up Helly Aa'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy4 months ago

They certainly had a good time together!

5

WindySwimmingWindySwimming4 months ago
Excellent!

Short, sweet & lotsa of fun to read. Whoever's crazy enough to visit Shetland Islands mid-winter coming from Nashvile, deserves a winning contract and followup with a lovely local. Mega kudos. Five stars!

WS

des911des9114 months ago

I am in awe at the breadth of your background research - American civil war, Native American culture, wild west, and Shetland? Another lovely story. Thank you

Cracker270Cracker2704 months ago

Very well done , as usual

FandeborisFandeboris4 months ago

Wonderful story, just wonderful.

I would havre loved to know the lyrics to the second song. It sounds like a requiem to honor the warriors who have fallen in battle. That would explain Helen’s tears.

Maybe a follow up is in order, although it would only be more of the same, unless they need somebody permanent.

Take care

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc4 months ago

Good story but not a "romance" tale, really Should be in EC or else finish the story. 3.7*

PurplefizzPurplefizz4 months ago

Excellent story, although as previous comments have said, it sounds like the start of a romance, but as it is should really be in the EC category, a follow up would work extremely well and cement it firmly in the Romance category, although if Helen was staying in the hotel too, it’s obvious she lives somewhere other than Shetland, so maybe not.

I’m impressed with the research and the originality, although the likelihood of a visitor getting a room at any hotel (especially the Lerwick) in Shetland for the Up Helly Aa celebration is highly unlikely, as it’s one of the busiest times of their year and is normally booked up well in advance.

That being said, suspension of disbelief is probably the rule here. 5⭐️, many thanks for writing and posting, cheers, Ppfzz.

Ravey19Ravey194 months ago

Tend to agree with other comments; an ace story again but as it stabs more EC than R. Definitely needs a part 2 when he returns to Shetland to move it firmly into the R category. Please.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Flawless, once again, and with lots of local color. Not much character development or back story but that was OK in this short piece. Not much plot either but that was fine to n this mood piece set where few have visited.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

5*

JoeMo1619JoeMo16194 months ago

Best regards from the Scottish Highlands and the Inner Hebrides. Wonderful story.

WantingToWriteGoodWantingToWriteGood4 months ago

Nice story about the Shetlands and the Up Helly AA. I am glad Scots embrace their Viking heritage. I wonder if it poses a problem to realize the much disliked UK folk also have a Viking heritage?

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler4 months ago

Without some type of closure on this story best I can rate it is average. Thanks for trying.

J6480J64804 months ago

Good start needs finishing in some way perhaps more drilling or lapping as engineers love to do

WetheNorthWetheNorth4 months ago

If commentators can only bitch about the category you chose, then you have a winning story.

I enjoyed it very much and wish you well in your writing

clearlyenigmaticclearlyenigmatic4 months ago

One definition of romance:

'the attractive, partly imagined character or quality of something, as an era, a place, or an activity, that suggests adventure, heroism, excitement, glamour, and distance from the everyday'.

This story meets the requirements for this category. That it is sexy and entertaining meets my requirements for a fun read. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

story TAGS