Vaid Empire: Conquest Ch. 25

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You echo my own thoughts." He replied, even as his expression remained firm. Despite finally settling on a final design for the standard currency of The Empire, Dominax had been nothing short of distant for the past several days. What could only be considered a day of victory, gained by countless hours of research into The Northern Kingdoms' own system of currency, had appeared to do little in the way of easing whatever was troubling The God Emperor.

Xenia chuckled, clenching the little metal disk. "A God Emperor you truly are, master. Yet I remember a day you forbid me to even speak of the gods."

Dominax breathed lightly. "The gods were guilty in my mind, complacent in chaos and death. I couldn't have predicted the necessity of becoming one myself." He said with a faint sting of irony. "Even still, that belief did not fall far from the truth, as the knowledge of our true creator provides little comfort when he is nearly as guilty as all these false deities. The Creator is incapable of stifling the persistence of disorder and slaughter, yet a God Emperor shall enforce peace."

"Indeed you shall." She said with her all too familiar smirk.

For a moment he remained silent, subtly turning to study her expression as he spoke his next words. "Originally, I had planned to depict both you and Irith on the back of these new coins. Either that or wait until my new heir is born. Certainly, the face of the future God Emperor or Empress is more than appropriate for such a purpose."

Xenia suppressed a flare of utter disgust, keenly aware of Dominax's peering silver eyes. "What made you change your mind, my love?"

The serious frown of his lips only deepened at her instinctive response. "It was a matter of legacy, for no other image is better suited to depict the aims of The Empire than that of the Vaid crescent moon."

A wordless moment lingered between them, and as her eyes drifted forwards she spotted the location that always brought a shiver of satisfied victory to her being, the very spot along the beach where Briza's corpse had been dragged from the water. She had of course known that they'd pass by if they continued to follow the shore, yet every step that brought her closer only added to a sense of both elation and unease.

"I know you disagree with my decision in naming Irith's child as my heir." Dominax stated suddenly, as if his words were a quick thrust of a hidden dagger.

Thrown off guard by the change in subject, Xenia's grip upon the coin tightened. "I...do disagree, my lord. As I've said, Vixin would make a far greater successor to your legacy."

"Indeed you have. Yet more than Cendra?" Dominax tested, his eyes unmoving from the beach as he slowed to a stop. Upon this very spot he remembered gazing down at Briza's naked body, her skin marked with dagger wounds. "She is strong, regardless of how she uses her power."

Xenia stepped closer, placing her empty hand onto his armored forearm. "Cendra is a...lovely girl, my lord, but she lacks the conviction and hunger to rule The Empire." She said, choosing her words cautiously. The fact that he had stopped here of all places only added to her unease.

"An interesting claim." Dominax said, gazing down at her with an unreadable look on his face.

The guards appeared to grow tense as they watched her look at them curiously, before she pressed herself closer against Dominax. "Vixin is strong, my love. Surely you must have seen that for yourself when you deemed her worthy to train as your apprentice. Please, allow her to prove herself, for she is more than capable of becoming a God Empress whose rule shall echo across history!"

Dominax's stern expression remained unchanging. "Indeed, you love our daughter, Xenia. It is an aspect of you that I have always appreciated, though often you've allowed it to draw you into...mistakes."

"Mistakes, my lord?" She replied, presenting her most convincingly hurt expression. "Is a mother not permitted to strive for the best outcome for her child?"

He ignored her verbal deflection. "There is much that Vixin's potential may bring, yet you've allowed your jealousy to coax conflict within the royal harem. An heir shall be selected by me, and me alone."

"Jealousy? Haven't I always granted you the utmost respect in such matters? Have I ever once voiced reluctance in joining you in indulging with your slaves?" She asked as she remained cautious of her tone, putting both surprise and indignation into her voice. "It is only Irith who chooses to keep her emotions at a distance from me, for I would gladly accept her as closely as a sister any day!"

"It is fitting that you mention Irith, for I've heard a little...rumor regarding your feelings towards her." Dominax said, somehow becoming more serious than before.

Xenia carefully curled her lips into an innocent smile. "A rumor of what sort, my love?"

Slowly, he began to encircle her, pacing along the beach in thought. "One that comes directly from The Hesian Order itself. They claim that you've been colluding to have Irith killed."

Her blood ran cold at the statement, tightening her grip further upon the coin. "Dominax, what on Ayphieal are you-"

His firm voice cut her off. "Furthermore, they claim that you were involved in Briza's death." He said, feeling his powers boiling within him as his jaw clenched.

"My love...how could you possibly-"

Dominax whirled on her, approaching so quickly that she instinctively dropped to the sand as his hands raised in burning flame. "Do NOT deny it. You've BETRAYED me...deceived the man who granted you EVERYTHING."

Xenia held out her hands, the coin dropping to the sand. "You must listen to me! Do not allow them to spread lies they know NOTHING about!"

A ball of flame launched from Dominax's hand, crashing mere inches from her thigh. She felt the blast of heat as it scorched the sand, instantly burning into glass.

"Choose your words wisely, Xenia..." he seethed, towering over her defenseless form. "Else you may be destroyed where you ripped Briza's life away..."

In desperation she turned to the guards, yet they merely remained still as they watched their ruler with cautious anticipation.

Slowly Dominax regained his control, reining in his powers as the sun touched the horizon. "If what they claim is true...you've taken everything from me..."

"Please Dominax...I love yo-"

"I must be sure of your guilt..." he breathed in hatred nearly as intense as the blast that had created the small patch of glass. He then turned and nodded towards the commander of the guards. "We'll do this my way, within my own laws. We'll discover the truth, I can assure you of that."

The guard stepped towards Xenia, pointing his spear towards her downed form. "Concubine Empress Xenia, by the powers of The Vaid Empire, you are under arrest for the murder of Briza, mother of Princess Cendra, and for conspiring to assassinate The Concubine Empress Irith!"

Without another word The God Emperor simply turned his back upon her and allowed the guards to haul her to her feet. He crouched beside the waterline as they marched her away, dipping his hand into the very water that had held his beloved's body.

12