All Comments on 'Varna Ch. 12'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
MimiRayMimiRayalmost 2 years ago

This story continues to thrill. I'm totally invested.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Indeed, thrilling! I love this story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Beyond brilliant

Nouh_BdeeNouh_Bdeealmost 2 years ago

I love the way you construct battle scenes. It’s always as clear as it should be what’s happening, given the limited perspective, more importantly, it’s always clear *why*, and you always include enough of an emotional layer to give it weight and texture. Brilliant!

Richard1940Richard1940almost 2 years ago

I didn't think this could get better but it did!

readeralreaderalalmost 2 years ago

Another excellent chapter. Thank you for sharing.

EmanresEmanresalmost 2 years ago

This was another great addition.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Tauma has won the Duchy (for now). Now comes the difficult task: maintaining his hold over the dominion.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I have the strong suspition that the fight against his brothers is just a kick-off for the rel action to start. In any case, the suspension is great!

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 2 years ago

Awww...dammit!! Why did you kill Sezima?!?? No one will fault Tauma for killing Merik (what a total loser...thinking he could redeem himself with snark). I hope you wrote a way around that, as there is Urbo, Durgat and perhaps some characters you have yet to appear that might show up at Gaitlin's Port or somewhere else in Varna that could help fill that immense, yawning chasm you created; if you do not, losing Sezima is a critical error--one I hope you remedy! From where else will we get a "ye gods...we shall not lack for shade!!"

Gerdar Tanle is worth her weight in gold!! Damn!! What a superlative leader and one that knows EXACTLY what she's doing! Once that story travels Varna, ANY man with half a brain should TREMBLE in his boots if someone is stupid enough to piss her or Tauma off! I wholeheartedly approve of you advancing Tauma as a very competent commander; however, he committed a critical error in not discovering Merik's forces' actual position and although we must weight Tauma's using aether to sharpen his wits as an accepted plot device (sufficiently established)...it was a little too conveniently used in Ch 11, and Tauma's faux-pas here was only Tanle saved the day with her foresight and Glasha, via her time-walking. Now you do leave me wondering how you plan to enlarge the roles for Tanle, Saska and Sanatha: you've truly filled out Sanatha's contribution nicely and no one can object to how you employed Yazgash and Durgat in heavily assisting Tauma. Glasha's role is clearly invaluable, but she's lacked relevant vocal contributions of late.

I rated it a 5, but I seriously considered docking the story a star for seemingly senselessly slaughtering Sezima. ARGGHHHH!!!

jskin78jskin78almost 2 years ago

Love this story. I can’t wait for more!

BruceWoBruceWoalmost 2 years ago

You should be proud of this wonderful creation. Wonderful storytelling

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

He's not killing off Sezima senselessly. He's sowing the seeds for Taumas growth or downfall. He's losing one grounding friend now, maybe others later (such is life). Will he become a megalomaniac? Will he stray from his clever manoeuvering and just policies? Is he capable to find the right path for him and Varna, considering his growing (magical and political) power.

A prophecy may well turn into a nightmare.

Aspern established all those paths as possible futures.

Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I’m shocked the battle between Tauma, and Merik came so fast after the battle of Wydah. Great job as always. You are the best at what you do. KS

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomealmost 2 years ago

Dang, bro... that was, uhh... savage. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Excellent, as usual

I probably would have hanged Merik publicly for regicide, but then I've always been a vindictive ****.

wayfinderwayfinderalmost 2 years ago

Thank-you again for another exemplary chapter on writing about a battle from a sympathetic commander's point of view. I am enjoying this as much as the battles in Westrons. I've consumed a wide range of military SF and I put you up there with the best I've read, amateur and professional. In any case, I'm taking notes for my own writing.

From your story catalog it seems a safe bet you played quite a lot of D&D (or some RPG). For what it's worth, Stephen Colbert credits playing D&D in his youth as a primary developer of his writer's brain. I like to think this is what makes your plots both inventive and credible. Case in point, characters in key plot roles can die: sometimes senselessly, sometimes with reason. It happens in real life and in RPG. I'm sure you've been cussed out as DM for allowing characters to die.

I am keen to see what kind of end-game you deliver for this series.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Awesome!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Simply superb. Lit’s best author delivers chapter after chapter of nail-biting excellence. Just wow

FumblingGazeFumblingGazealmost 2 years ago

An excellent battle chapter, clear, believable, and exciting. The loss of Sezima truly pains, but as a story element it makes a stronger plot, we can't only have redshirts dying in a war. That's something I've really appreciated about your writing, you are able to make somewhat painful decisions and redeem them through skillful writing.

Thanks again!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great storey telling

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very good story, I just think Merik should have been hanged in public. Despite this I've absolutely loved this series.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Varna Ch. 11 Previous Part
Varna Series Info