Varna Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

- "I don't know. Sirma?"

- "Sirma? Really?"

- "She's our heir, isn't she?"

- "What about Denban?"

- "My son is an unknown quantity." I said. "He could turn to be another Merik."

- "I highly doubt that." she said. "But isn't the same true of Sirma?"

I stood up. "This will require considerable thought. A bottle of wine?"

- "It may take two." said Sanatha.

We considered quite a few possible scenarios. What if one of us died, and Sirma was made co-ruler? Could her power be limited? Could she be 'junior partner' until she reached the age of majority?

Sanatha and I then tried to work out the proper age for this hypothetical Sirma to become a full partner. We eventually settle on eighteen years old, because we remembered ourselves at sixteen, and how unqualified we were for just about any responsibility.

- "What if she turns eighteen, but by that point everyone in Varna knows that she's cruel, stupid and lazy?" asked Sanatha.

- "Mmm. I agree - that's a problem. But ... what if her accession to full partner had to be ratified?"

- "By ...?"

- "The Duke ... and a full council. And what if she needed the approval of both?"

- "Oh ... interesting." said my sister. "And if she failed to be approved?"

- "It would be more difficult for her to start a civil war, wouldn't it? And the Duke and Council could choose a new junior partner."

- "Like Denban."

- "Exactly. But he would have to go through the same process."

- "So the choice of heirs would be up to you and me, but if one of us were to die, it would be the survivor and the Council. Isn't that a lot of power for the Council?"

- "I don't think so. I suspect that when you and I begin to think about choosing our heirs, we'll be consulting many of them anyway. Why not make it formal?"

- "Like needing the Council's approval to make our choices official?"

- "That's not bad, either."

We shouldn't have had that third bottle (and the fourth was totally unnecessary). But we came up with a number of ideas, and still had the wherewithal to write many of them down while we were making sense.

***

We called a full Council ten months after the end of the war. Every Tir and every Gerdar was invited to attend. We let it be known in advance that we intended to discuss the succession. That alone was enough to guarantee perfect attendance. Even old Tir Peneda (Arvo's father) came to Elmina in a carriage, despite his shattered hip, which had never fully recovered.

Of course, some of their opinions mattered more than others - in private, if not in public. Sanatha and I had already sounded out Glasha and Saska, as well as Yazgash and Enneiros.

- "This is why you two have to accept some sort of title." I said. "Even just an honorific. We'll appoint you to Council, and then you'll have a say in who succeeds us."

Yazgash snorted. "You think I'll be here for another twenty or thirty years, just so I can pick between your snot-nosed brats?"

I stepped closer, took Yazgash by the shoulders, and kissed her on the cheek (carefully avoiding the point of her tusk).

- "I certainly hope so." I said. "But if not you, then your successor. Who will know our children - or grandchildren - better?"

Both Enneiros and Yazgash had chosen me - and Sanatha - in our civil war against our brothers. They knew Aludar and Merik, and Nathal and Toran. They'd picked me - partly because of Glasha, and partly for my own merits. We were suggesting that they (or their successors) do the same again.

- "Your opinions matter more to us than those of ... Benaz Corig and the new Gerdar Khuter." said Sanatha.

- "What title?" said Yazgash. "I don't want something that sounds stupid, or ..."

- "Commander of the Guard." I said.

She glared at me. "That's it? What about him?" She jerked a thumb at Enneiros.

- "Commander of the Guard." said Sanatha.

- "A Duke and a Duchess." I said. "Or possibly two Dukes, or two Duchesses. And two Commanders of the Guard. If anything happens to one of you, the other can step in."

Enneiros finally smiled, and turned to Yazgash.

- "It makes sense." he said.

- "Fine." snapped Yazgash. She glowered at me. I'd never seen her look happier.

We also met with Hurmas and Bathene. It just seemed ... right, to deal with them together. There were no unwholesome rumours about them, but it was quite plain that they were smitten with each other. Hurmas was being a perfect gentleman, and waiting until her mourning for Aludar was decently over.

We granted an interview to Tir Peneda and his sons, cognizant that I was really speaking to his son Arvo, who had fought so well for us against the mercenaries. The old, crippled Tir paid us a high compliment.

- "I wish that your father had implemented such a system." he said. "If this Council of yours is to have a say in the choice of the next Duke - or Duchess - they will pay more attention to the children of the present ruler. Rulers. What I mean to say is ... had I been watching you two as you grew up, I might never have sided with Merik."

Sanatha reached out to touch his hand. "That's a very fine thing to say, Tir Peneda."

We also met with Tir Alit and his son (who would be a mature man when Sanatha's and my children were being considered for the succession). I liked them both, and wanted to hear their opinions.

Durgat only laughed.

- "It's better than the Mak'gora." he said. That was the traditional orcish challenge to combat for the leadership of the tribe. "You'd never have won, back then, Tauma. But look at you now. I wouldn't take you on."

Talanassa Albo was consulted. We spoke to Gerdars Aspar and Orchir, Azren and Ostro. I spent a long time with Tir Dergun, trying to see if he could find a hole in our reasoning.

- "No system is perfect." he warned. "But this ... it has potential."

Both Murzosh and Osha were in favour. Murzosh was my bodyguard, and potentially a successor to Yazgash, if she ever tired of being Commander of the Guard. But I felt that Osha deserved another honorific title. Standard-Bearer.

He'd been a humble ostler - a stable-boy, really - but he'd shown his loyalty and his courage many times. He'd stood beside me in several battles, and risked his life. Not for at title, or riches, or lands ... Osha could represent the hundreds and hundreds of men who'd fought for Sanatha and me, and for Varna against the invaders.

I had to travel for one more meeting. I went to Souglad, even though Tir Tanle was in Elmina. Fortunately, I was able to prevail upon several important people to meet with me.

Alissara once more declined my offer of a title.

- "Thank you, Lord Tauma." she said. "I understand that you mean to honour us - and to thank us for our contributions in the wars. But we are a people apart. That is unlikely to change. You've done what we hoped you would - and for that we thank you."

It made me sad, but I had to accept her point of view.

Rhigen also came to see me, and to my great delight, Naevys was with him.

- "Have you recovered?" asked Glasha's father.

- "I think so. I haven't strained too hard. I'm not going to extend myself, unless the need is great."

Rhigen bent over, and picked up an acorn. He hurled it into the air.

- "Split this!" he shouted.

I watched as the acorn rose to its apex, and the fell to the ground.

- "Those days are past." I said. I had nothing left to prove. It was a simple test, which I passed by simply ignoring it.

"Naevys," I said, "how can I prepare one of my children - or Sanatha's - to be the next Varyan?"

Naevys shook his head.

- "It may be none of them. Your father certainly wasn't a candidate. But there will be no other Varyan while you live. When the land needs another Varyan, they will appear. It may be someone of your blood. Most probably, it will not."

- "But you can help, still." said Rhigen. "Teach your progeny about the elves, the half-orcs, and the fey. Tell them truths. Remember us."

- "You know that I will." I said.

- "You may not need us again." said Naevys. "Rest assured, though: we will be there, if you do." He dropped his glamour, so that I could see him one more time as he truly was.

- "And I will bring a few musicians to Elmina, next winter." said Rhigen.

***

The Council accepted the inclusion of Yazgash, Enneiros and Osha. Three votes were unlikely to be decisive, thought the Tirs and Gerdars, in a Council of almost thirty.

I spent an entire afternoon explaining to Sirma what her role as heir presumptive would mean, and what might be expected of her. We shared a meal together, and then I told her stories of the elves, the half-orcs and the fey until she fell asleep.

*****