Vicki's Story Ch. 07

Story Info
Vicki confronts Connie.
6.3k words
4.76
2k
11
Story does not have any tags

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 03/08/2024
Created 01/28/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,487 Followers

Chapter Seven:

I would like to thank Tim and Vicki who helped develop this story.

*****

On my way home, I bumped into Lisa at the supermarket. She caught me of guard and circled her arm through mine as I wheeled my trolley around. "Hello Vicki." she whispered kissing my cheek.

"Hello Lisa." I returned. "I didn't know you shopped here? Don't you live on the other side of town?

"Yes, I have been doing my shopping here hoping to catch up with you."

"You know where I live." I muttered offhandedly.

She smiled. "Yes, but after our last visit I wasn't sure how you would react if I just turned up."

"I see." I mumbled. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

She sighed. "I want to talk about Livvy, obviously. Vicki, she really misses you. She knows she has stuffed up but, doesn't know how to put it right."

"Of course, I have feelings for her. I thought she was the one. I hoped to spend the rest of my life with her."

"That's the way she feels. I know it's difficult for you to understand but, trust me, she adores you. She wants to be with you."

Wow, no beating around the bush here, she was straight into it. "Lisa, I don't understand, never really have. I don't feel comfortable talking to you about this now. Another time perhaps." I said goodbye and pushed my trolley away from hers. She made me so damn uneasy.

Mom and Dad came around for dinner Friday night and it turned into a really pleasant evening. Mom didn't mention Livvy once. Unfortunately, Dad, probably put up to it by her though, asked. "Have you heard from Livvy lately?"

I shook my head slowly. "Occasionally. We were chatting most days but, she seems to have cooled. Recently though, it seems like we're back to where we were before. There's a distance, or awkwardness to it these days."

Mom interrupted before I could finish. "Love, it doesn't have to be that way. She feels that you are too aggressive, pushing too hard. I talk to her most days and she really misses you. She doesn't call because you want to move so fast."

"Mom, could you please butt out and not interfere? Please?"

Dad looked a little uncomfortable with our interaction. "Calm down honey, we were just interested to know how things were progressing."

I bit my tongue; Dad and I had become so close, I didn't want to risk that. "I am sorry Dad but, I don't want to talk about Livvy, she makes her own decisions. That is the end of that."

Mom tried to say something. "That's..." But before she could finish, Dad patted her arm and she took his advice. She slumped back and went back to playing with her food. The conversation slowly picked back up and Dad was pretty keen to talk about our golf game the following day. So, after a rocky patch, the evening finished on a good note.

During the golf game Dad did raise the subject, which was fine because he wasn't pushing any causes. He was more interested in my state of mind.

"Vicki..." I giggled. He still struggled with my name. "Vicki, are you sure about Livvy. I am not being nosy, it's your life. I only comment because I have to say, she is a wonderful girl."

"Dad nothing would please me more than to have her back in my life but, she has her own life, her own career. I don't think it's going to happen." I was hoping for some sympathy. "She refuses to even consider moving to Cleveland. She won't look outside her current situation."

He scowled. "I understand your concern. Her job though, you have to cut her some slack over that. She seems to have put a lot of effort into making partner."

"Dad, the job I could live with. It's her refusal to acknowledge me in any form what so ever. I want to meet her parents, I want to tell the world. Heck, I would move back in a heartbeat if she would just let me into her life."

"What would you say if I said I was considering offering her a job?"

"Why would you do that?" I quizzed.

He laughed. "Really you don't think she is any good?"

"No, that's not what I meant Dad. It's just, if you needed somebody I could probably recommend better."

"So just like that, you're throwing her under the bus?'

"I guess you could call it self-interest, I suppose."

"Self-interest, huh?"

"Well at one point, you said you wanted me to come and work with you at the firm."

"Honey I do. Our company has been built on good old family values and I want that to continue. I would give my right arm for you to come and work with me."

I grinned. "I wish you would and maybe I might beat you today."

He laughed, "Well, if you would stop talking and start playing, that might just happen."

"Pop, you're the one doing all the talking."

As we played on, he smirked "You know, I am okay with you using the ladies' tee. Some of my friends have been making fun of me for making my daughter use the men's tee"

"Like hell." I snapped. "I do have some pride."

"No shame in it honey, use the tools you are allowed to."

"Dad, if I beat you, it's going to be fair and square okay?"

He nodded. "I would have been disappointed any other way."

He came up and gave me a hug. "I know you and I haven't always seen eye to eye but, I need you to understand that's all water under the bridge. I want to make up for being an absent father. That's why I was prepared to offer Livvy a job. I thought it might help you two get back together."

I was a bit stunned at his admission. "Dad, if you want to hire Livvy so damn bad, then do it but, don't do it for me. If she can't carry her weight, she is no good to you. That just makes life hard for yourself."

As the week slid by, I was getting swamped by out of state companies interested in our services. As I talked to their representatives, I decided the best option was to visit their head offices and discuss services and products in person. The first step was to prioritize and develop a presentation that covered all of our possible services. Show them how flexible we could be.

By the end of the week I had a presentation that I was pretty happy with.

I scheduled some meetings and then took the idea to Constance. Her reaction stunned me. "Yes, this looks very promising. I think I shall put a team together and I'll lead it myself."

"Hang on a minute. This is my project. I developed all those leads and contacts. They are expecting to deal with me."

"Victoria, this is my company. I make the decisions. All of this should have been run by me first. If I had been involved, we would have created far better presentations. Your problem is you have become too swell headed. Now leave me with this and I will take over from here."

I stormed out of her office, cursing under my breath. Most of these clients I had already spent weeks softening up and selling the company to them. Now all I wanted to do was burn them all.

I had been fighting off Dad's offer of a job what felt like was forever. I wanted to build this company and then destroy it, take everything away from her. Not because of the way she treated me, it was all about Nan and the way she spoke about her. Fuck her. Perhaps I should jump ship now but, not before I caused her some grief.

I was going to take those potential clients and introduce them to my father's company. First things first, I was going to need that job.

"Dad..."

"Vicki, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I want that job we talked about."

"This sounds bad. What happened?" I explained the situation to him and I heard him sighing into the phone. "Can we meet tonight? The answer is yes, by the way. I have always wanted you here at the firm. There are some things we should discuss before you decide. I think we should talk."

"Come to dinner tonight." I said. "I'll cook."

"Vicki, I hope your answer is yes."

"See you tonight Dad."

Dad walked in about seven, just as I was laying the table. He walked in and gave me a quick hug as he passed me the bottle of red wine. "Smells great, what are we having?"

Nothing special Dad, soup for starters, then some garlic mushrooms and beef for the main."

"Good god, I will never fit through the door."

He opened the wine as I ladled out the soup. We shared a little toast as we sipped our wine. "Okay Dad, I got a feeling you were concerned about me coming to work for you."

He scowled a little as he sampled the soup, dipping his bread crust into the steaming broth. "Damn, this is good Vicki." He said in a very complimentary tone. "I have no concerns, not about you. It was more whether you would still be interested after I give you my latest news."

"Okay, why would I be concerned?"

He cleared his throat, after another spoonful of the delicious soup. "On Monday, I took on a new account manager. If you come to work with me, you will have to work with her."

I felt the weight, settle on my shoulders. He didn't have to say anything else. I knew exactly who he meant.

"I see, when does she start?"

"Already has, I'm afraid Vicki."

"Shit..."

"I'm sorry if this affects your decision. I hope it doesn't. This probably feels like entrapment but, I have always been impressed by her Honey. I spoke at length with Geoff, I've known him for a long time. When I told him I was thinking of offering Olivia the job, he was disappointed but, very complimentary. His words were "Grab her, you'd be a fool not to."

"Yeah, they thought a lot of her."

"Not just her Vicki. While we chatted, I alluded to the fact you were my daughter. He was a little shocked you never used my name when you applied. He spoke highly of Olivia but, he told me it was the saddest day when you left. He explained the changes you had implemented and how hard working you were."

"Geoff was nice to work for."

"He certainly held you in high regard. That has been echoed by everybody I have spoken to. You have established amazing relationships with all of your clients. A couple I spoke to said if you were coming to work at the firm, they would be bringing their business as well."

"Nice to hear." I replied as I cleared away the empty soup dishes. Thankfully, my timing was good. The baked, garlic mushrooms were ready.

Dad peered at me as I sat back down. "I want you at the firm Vicki. It would be the culmination of my wildest dream having you working with me."

"I want to Dad, I'm just not sure if I can work with Livvy. Where is she staying, by the way?"

"With her friend Lisa. They both came to dinner last night. Lisa seems very nice as well."

"The thing is Dad, I do love Livvy. My problem is, she wants to live in the closet. Scared to come out into the light. I don't know if it's because of my sexuality or just that she's not that into me."

"Vicki, I'll speak plainly, all right?" Feasting busily on the mushroom starters as he spoke.

"That girl loves you. She was quite open about it last night. She has moved here to be with you. She was only weeks away from making partner. She gave all of that up to be with you."

"If that were true. How come I'm only now hearing it and from you rather than her?"

"Because she's stubborn, just like you. Because she is nervous and feeling a little insecure. She's a strong-minded young woman Vicki. You know I'm no expert in these matters but, I think she must be feeling unsure. I know nothing about this but, she is a woman who has never had a relationship with a man. Even a man dressed as a woman must be difficult."

I knew what he was trying to say, as uncomfortable as it made him. "Do you think she will work with me Dad?"

"Absolutely. I told her before I hired her. At some point she would have to work with you because I was busting a gut to get you on board as well."

"She was okay with that?"

"It sealed the deal."

"There are some other things we should talk about Dad. Everybody knows you never had a daughter. At some point, my transition is going to become public knowledge. I've seen some of the looks your longtime friends give me at the golf club. They know you never had a daughter. Especially once Constance finds out I have come to work for you and stolen some of her best clients."

"Vicki, you are right. There has already been a lot of gossip around the country club and among our friends. They have all started to put two and two together. A couple of my closest friends have broached the subject with me. I never told them the truth. Not because I'm embarrassed but, because it is your personal information."

"There might be some negative fallout if Constance makes a big deal of it and tries to ridicule me."

"If she does, we will live with that. We will tackle it head on. Jackie and I have spoken about it in great detail. We are there for you. I know she has fielded questions from her closest friends. The golf tournament raised a lot of eyebrows. You were hardly hiding in the shadows."

"Sorry Dad." I replied apologetically.

"Nonsense, I know I am an old traditionalist and have always been a bit narrow minded. I have had to question myself continuously over this. Even reprimanded myself. We are quite happy for you to deal with the situation, however you see fit. If that means we stand tall and explain your situation, then so be it. We will do so proudly."

The tears burst out from nowhere and suddenly I couldn't stop them. I sobbed like a child and Dad quickly rushed around the table, wrapped me in his arms and consoled me. "Honey, don't cry. We can deal with it together. Your mother is behind you one hundred percent."

"I've been a bitch to her Dad."

"Fiddlesticks. She poked her nose in far too deep. She got what she deserved but, you have to understand honey, this has been a shock to all of us."

Using my napkin, I dried my eyes, realizing my mascara had run. I excused myself. Leaning over the counter in the bathroom, I dried my eyes properly and reapplied my makeup. God, what a night. Seeing Dad so forthright and being so supportive.

When I got back, he was pulling the beef out of the oven. "Sorry, the timer beeped. I thought I should get it out for you."

I watched joyously as he carved the meat and I put the vegetables on our plates. Dad then opened another bottle of wine and we sat back down.

"So, do I have my newest employee?" He said earnestly.

"Yes Dad. I will give my notice tomorrow."

He held up his glass as a toast. "Excellent. Welcome aboard Vicki."

By the time we finished the main course, we were already talking tactics. "How many clients do you think will jump ship with you Vicki?"

"I'm not sure exactly. What I can say is. When I took over those accounts. They were already thinking about looking elsewhere. So, I think I can bring at least ten to fifteen new clients with me. There may be more...Constance is not highly regarded."

"Oh, ain't that a fact." Dad interrupted. "The woman is a fool. She was given a jewel encrusted crown. She's managed to tarnish it pretty well."

"Are you still interested in buying her out?"

"Sure am, honey. I might leave it a little while though. With you off her books, she's going to suffer and that my dear is going to push the price down."

What a night. Dad left and I tackled the cleaning up. Sleep came easily that night. I was embarrassed about breaking down in front of Dad but, the bloody hormones sure played with my emotions. I had already stopped taking them but, the effects were still prevalent.

The next day, I went in early. I wanted to draft up my letter of resignation. Constance made her big announcement at the morning meeting. It drew a raft of shocked gasps as she selected her team. Totally ignoring and never mentioning the fact that it was my work she was stealing.

I said nothing, trying to keep my growing anger in check. I noticed some of the departmental managers giving me knowing glances. Some, I'm sure, knew who's work Constance's new plan was based around. Some of them I had spoken too when I started phoning around. I needed to know they would have the required resources available. Constance was so myopic, she didn't think about that fact.

As we were all leaving the meeting room. Constance said "Vicki, stay behind will you. I may have a small role for you in this new project."

I nodded and sat back down. With the rest of the team already left, Constance stood at the head of the table. "That went remarkably well, don't you think?"

"You have got your best team on it. I wonder though how you're going to support your existing client base with your best managers dedicated to this?"

She sneered. "Everybody is going to have to pick up some slack. You included."

"That is unfortunate, Constance. I was coming to see you after the meeting but, since we are already talking, I am resigning, as of today. I'm prepared to work out my month's notice, if you deem it necessary. But as of right now, I quit."

She smirked but, there was a hint of displeasure hiding behind it. Her mind was now in top gear and she was already seeing the down sides. "As always," she responded with hostility. "No need to wait the month. I think you should leave immediately. Go and clean out your desk."

"Glad too." I snapped back sarcastically. "I'd like to say it's been a pleasure but, I think we both know I would be lying. You're a toxic influence Constance. What's worse, is you are destroying this company. Good luck with your new project, although I think you are wasting your time."

"Get out." She snarled viciously, the venom flying.

"Goodbye Connie. See you on the other side."

I packed quickly, security coming almost immediately to escort me out. What a relief, even with security on my shoulder. It was more a walk of pride, rather than one of shame. Several of the staff came to shake my hand, a couple of the men helping me carry my obligatory cardboard box full of personal items.

Somebody once said. "Cleveland rocks!" Today, I felt exactly that way. With my car loaded, I sat in the driver's seat, taking a few moments to catch my breath. It felt great, a horrible weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

The sky seemed bluer and my mind cleared away some of the negative energy. It was only at that moment that I realized how much working for Connie had affected me. She really was a poisonous influence. Being clear of her was so refreshing. Now all I had to do was steal as many of her clients as I possibly could.

On the drive home, my phone buzzed. "Hi Mom, what can I do for you?"

"Sweetheart, your father told me about what happened. We wanted you to come for dinner tonight to celebrate."

"Yeah, sure can. Will it be just the three of us?" The phone slipped into silence, making me ask. "Are you still there Mom?"

"Yes dear, I am still here. It will be the three of us, if that is what you desire. I was hoping to invite Livvy as well."

"I'm sure she has better things to do Mom. Her and Lisa will still be catching up I'm sure."

"Phooey, you know that is not true sweetheart. She is dying to see you."

"Funny, I haven't heard anything from her."

"She is nervous darling. The problem is, you are both such stubborn mules. She has given up her life. Moved from her home town, just so she can be closer to you. She has had to swallow some of that pride. It would certainly do no harm if you were to do so as well, I might add. Franklin offered her a job but, it is in effect, a demotion."

"Yeah okay Mom, invite her."

"Wonderful. When do you finish with that horrid witch?"

"Finished already. I'm actually on my way home now."

"Oh, that was fast. Could I meet you somewhere for lunch?"

"Sounds great Mom."

"I need to get the recipe you used last night. Your father has done nothing but blasted, well...rave over your cooking."

*****

Walking in at Mom and Dad's, the chatter was already loud. Livvy was already there and her and Mom were chattering like a couple of hens. Even Dad was chuckling away.

It all came to a halt as I walked in. "Hey Mom, I brought wine."

"Thank you dear." She said slipping into my arms for a hug. Dad welcomed me with a hug as well as he took the bottle.

Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,487 Followers
12