Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Rather dumb of them to try to attack us through that tunnel in the first place." Teresa Croyle said. "As if we would forget it was there, and not have it covered with fields of fire." I wondered if others were noticing how Teresa was using military language in her discussions. Our Captain of Operations had been studying tactics and strategy a lot, and it was showing.

"I agreeeee." drawled the Chief. "Especially about not withdrawing after losing the element of sur-prizzze...""

I said "I think Baldwin badly underestimated our response to them, and to him and all of the Marshals. Even without the over one thousand citizens showing up, I think he believed the vast majority of the TCPD would not try to stop the Federal Marshals executing a Federal order. That shows his blatant arrogance in expecting us to just bow down to the Federal Government."

"And it's not like he wasn't warned about it." said Muscone.

"True." I said. "But my tack on this is that I think he got bad advice from someone. Sending in that team to infiltrate the jail went against what Baldwin was doing aboveground. He was driving up in vehicles, prepared with armed Marshals, and maybe even the chopper they sent was part of that plan. But the combat team from below is a whole 'nother ballgame."

"I see what you meeeeeean, Mr. Crowbar." said the Chief. "All of what Baldwin did was with an expectation of us standing down, or at worst giving relatively light resistance. The chopper may have been sent to whisk Blassingame away. But those perps underneath were purely for combat, and aggressive combat, not just defensive or 'just in case'."

"Exactly, sir." I said. "And that makes me wonder if Baldwin even knew they were there. What if someone else had that team as a backup, as a 'Plan B'?"

Precinct Captain Hewitt said "Sir, if I may?" I nodded and he said "I believe those guys weren't a backup plan, they were part of the original plan. I believe their intent was to get in and get to Blassingame... and you, sir. Baldwin may have believed we would not have stood up to him, sir, but everyone knows you were going to resist them. Maybe they thought that if their team killed you fast enough, the rest of us would give up and back down."

"I agree with Captain Hewitt, sir." said Teresa Croyle. "That assault team came in early. Baldwin was just getting started, and continued his own attempts long after the assault team was repelled. Also, if all this is true, it was bad psychological analysis."

"That's it!" I gasped, like Lucy at Schroeder's piano in the Peanuts comic strips. As everyone looked at me, I said "Hmmm, I wonder who would Baldwin would've turned to for a psychological analysis of the TCPD. I wuuuuuunder who that could be..."

"Bob Rovers?" asked Jack Muscone, getting it. "His unit?"

When I nodded, Tanya Perlman said "Are you suggesting they duped Baldwin into doing this, so that they could send their Freelance Hit Team to assassinate you, Don?"

"Could well be." I said. "And it wouldn't be the first time the Rovers BAU team gave horrible advice, with ulterior motives versus the success of the mission."

"I understand the concept of the Rovers BAU team wanting to murder Don," said Sheriff Griswold, "but it's very likely that the assault by that team would've ended in the death of Peter Blassingame. And that's not what Baldwin wanted, and definitely not what Edward Blassingame would've wanted."

"Exactly, Sheriff." I said. "Someone else was behind that assault team in the tunnel. And it was possibly someone who did not want that Blassingame plea deal to go through."

"I get that," replied Cindy, "but why not just have Judge Ruth B. Taney squash the plea deal instead of trying to help get Peter out of our jurisdiction?"

"Judge Taney may not be one of the Swamp Frogs's marked cards." said Jack Muscone. "She's leans Left politically, and she's very activist. She's probably no friend of the Corporate Elites, and Edward Blassingame's plea deal could really hurt the Swamp Frogs... if he truly did cooperate, of course."

"Some chess game we're playing, huh?" growled the Sheriff.

"More like Chinese Checkers." I replied. "Multiple players, lots of marbles rolling around."

"My questionnnnn..." drawled the Chief, "is whether or not they're going to try something again."

"The Federal order was stayed." said Jack Muscone. "Baldwin is going to be called on the carpet about it, and if I have anything to do with it, I'm going to be asking him about that assault team. I suspect the Federal Appeals Court will rescind Taney's order, but never say never. I've also contacted County Airport and the FAA, to further restrict the airspace in the northern part of this County and within ten miles in the States to our north and west."

Tanya Perlman said "Paulina Patterson told me that Judge Folsom has moved Peter Blassingame's trial up on up to tomorrow morning. He also assigned Judge Watts to it, which is a sign that he, Folsom, was more than pissed off about this attempt to take Peter Blassingame out of the jurisdiction by force."

"Allowwww me to try again." said Chief Moynahan. "I am not getting the answers I need to my questionnnnnns. Are we in danger of another assault upon our Jail to extract Peter Blassingammmme?"

"Sir," I said, "we've always been in that danger, and continue to be. And Baldwin screwed the pooch on them being able to do it by legal, non-violent means. But getting the trial up and underway will help get this overwith sooner. I recommend we continue with what we've been doing to this point, and maintain a high state of readiness to meet any further potential threats."

"Thank yuuuuu, Mr. Crowbar." said the Chief. "Make it sooooo."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:00pm, Sunday, August 11th. Jack Muscone was back in my office for a more private conversation. He was immensely grateful for the coffee I poured for him. I was grateful for the coffee I poured for myself.

"Baldwin is livid." said Muscone. "He wants to press criminal charges against the TCPD. Full Federal investigation, the whole nine yards. He's been told by the Washington brass to let it go, and it's likely he's going to be replaced as the U.S. Attorney for the Edward Blassingame case. It's an optics disaster for them."

"It's a legal disaster for them, too." I replied.

Muscone nodded, then said: "I only wonder what would've happened if those one thousand students had not shown up, if he would have started a bloodbath or not."

"Possession is nine-tenths, so they say." I said. "If he'd gotten Peter into Federal custody, it's very likely it would all be going the other way, for him and for us."

"I was thinking more in line of me having the inside knowledge that you were never going to give up Peter Blassingame alive, though Baldwin apparently thought so." said Muscone. I nodded.

Muscone went on: "One thing I can tell you is that the three dead men in your storm drain were not any of the men on Trent and Quint's Navy SEAL team. General McFarland and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs cut through all red tape and got that confirmed for us. What they think, and what I tend to agree with, is that that unit may have been hastily trained by Gary Fenton and Gil Cox's Tactical Training School, which uses civilian tactical role players or 'TRP's as their OPFOR. The planning and weaponry is consistent with that. Also, it looks like they had a good working knowledge of the floor plan of County Jail, including that storm drain That hasn't been a secret, but it's not common knowledge, either."

"That's true, and I considered that." I said. "The Chief was a bit nonplussed with the measures I went to in order to protect that means of entry, but I don't think it's going to be an issue unless the Press gets ahold of it and tries to make something of it... and I don't think they will. Doesn't serve their nor their masters's interests."

Muscone replied "My question and issue is who let them know the tunnel was there in the first place. You may have a mole, Don."

"I'm sure of it." I said. "So what do you, and perhaps the EAD, think of all this? You just told me the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is involved. This must be big, especially in Washington."

"And bigger than the CJCS." said Muscone. "U.S. Senator Richard Nunn is demanding hearings on this violation of State's Rights, and he's calling for the impeachment of Judge Ruth B. Taney for issuing that order. U.S. Senator Russell called for an investigation of the TCPD's tactics in opposing what he called a legitimate Federal operation."

"Russell is going to be arrested the minute Congress adjourns." I said. "The nets are closing in on him. Even his fellow Establishment Elitist Senators are abandoning him. What about the rest of it?"

Muscone knew what I meant, and he said "There's a lot of confusion, right now. Just who is who. Just who is on whose side. Like you said earlier today, it's Chinese Checkers."

"Yeah." I said. "But I was rethinking that. I think it's Occam' Razor... simpler than that. I don't think Edward Blassingame ever intended to talk, to give real information about anything to Baldwin. He played Baldwin like a fool, then certain U.S. Marshals and other Swamp Frogs played Baldwin like a fool to try to get Peter Blassingame out. That... has failed. Now Blassingame is going to have to try to save himself, or others will try to save him. That... is my next task. How do we stop him..."

I went into a reverie, a deep one. When I came out of it, Cindy Ross had joined us and was sitting down.

"Penny for 'em." she said. "Canadian penny if they're really good."

"Ohhhh, they're good." I said with a crafty grin. "Riddle me this, Kato: how would you get Peter Blassingame out of the hole he's in?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got to The Cabin late that afternoon. Laura and Molly were talking, while Carole and Tasha played with dolls on the floor of the greatroom. The boys had been outside, but came in after me, and scandalized their mothers over how much dirt they had accumulated on their bodies and their clothes. I chuckled, knowing that this was 'normal' for growing boys playing outside.

"Where's Paulina?" I asked.

"At work." Carole said simply.

I looked over at Laura, who said "She was called in this morning. They're moving Peter Blassingame's trial up to tomorrow, and D.A. Walters has named her the lead ADA on the case. It's all hers. So she's prepping for it, and Tasha is going to stay with us tonight, and maybe other nights while this trial is in progress."

"That's good." I said cheerfully, knowing that Tasha's safety was a large part of that planning...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At dinner, Jim said in a not-too-happy voice: "Dad, Ian got to pet Tiger Mom. She let him come up to the hole where she has her kittens, but she hissed at me and Ross."

"That's good that she let Ian come up." I said. "And she'll be nicer to you later, when her kittens get bigger. Too many of you, right now."

"No, Daddy." Carole said. "Tiger Mom just doesn't like Jim and Ross. She likes Ian and Tasha, but not Jim and Ross."

"Carole," I said, "what did we discuss about keeping things like that to yourself when you don't need to say them out loud?"

"Not to." Carole replied. But she did not apologize, I noticed.

"And how does Tiger Mom feel about you, Carole?" I asked.

"Okay." Carole said. "But Bowser is always with me, and Tiger Mom is worried about him. So I just stay away and let her be."

"That's very good of you, Carole." I said. "And you boys should probably not mess with Tiger Mom in her place with her kittens. Just pet her if she comes onto the deck and lets you." The boys accepted that advice as the instructions they really were.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner, Molly took her boys home, and Laura and I took Jim and the Girls back to the Mountain Nest. After kids and dogs were put to bed, Laura poured us drinks and we sat on the sofa against the wall.

"So," Laura said, "I heard you had some fun this morning."

I gave a wan smile as I said "Teresa got to have all the fun, piloting the Cobra. She was walking on air all day long afterwards. Me... well, if they'd gotten to me, it would've been carnage already."

"I liked the way you handled booby-trapping the tunnel." Laura said. "Installing mines and a lethal electric fence may not exactly be playing according to the rules, but they learned the hard way on that." This from a woman that was once one of the highest-level CIA Agents in the Nation, who knew exactly what 'not playing by the rules' was all about.

"Yeah, the Chief wasn't amused." I said. "But I get the idea that no one is going to come forward to complain, not even the Media."

"I think you're right." said Laura. "Anyway, and in a related story, Paulina told Molly and me that Miriam Walters has given her full control of the Peter Blassingame case, but not much support. Not much is being said, but if Paulina doesn't win this one, Miriam will use it as the excuse she needs to demote Paulina and elevate Savannah Fineman. I hope Miriam isn't thinking of sabotaging it."

"She's not." I said, very sure. "Walters knows how important the Peter Blassingame case is to me. She's putting Paulina on it to assure his conviction, and also to keep her own name and Savannah's name free of it. I'm more worried about what Edward Blassingame is going to do to sabotage it."

"I'm worried about what Edward Blassingame might do, as well." said Laura. "Which is why I told Paulina that we could keep Tasha during the trial, and Tasha would be much better protected. Paulina agreed."

"And so do I." I said. "If Edward Blassingame knows what is good for him, he'll want no part of the redoubtable Bowser biting chunks out of his ass." Laura laughed at that 'visual'...

Part 10 - State v. Federal

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, August 12th, from near the Courthouse complex on the east side of Courthouse Square. "The Peter Blassingame trial begins today!"

Bettina began: "Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts has been appointed to preside over the trial, and the start date was moved up to today in response to a U.S. Attorney's attempt to gain Federal custody of Peter Blassingame via a Federal Court order. Mr. Blassingame is charged with aggravated rape and aggravated murder, neither of which are Federal crimes, which led to the Federal order being stayed pending an appeal hearing."

Bettina: "Prosecutor Paulina Patterson is in charge of the State's case against Mr. Blassingame, while his team consists of a high-powered lineup of defense attorneys with sterling records, including Nathan Masterson, Chip Blake, and Brafford Bacon. And the defense team got a huge boost with the addition of Gwen Munson, who led Dr. Jan Camp's successful lawsuit against the University." (Author's note: 'The French Connection', Ch. 02.)

Bettina: "And opposition to Donald Troy's Charter Commission's early recommendations is rapidly growing. The Fire Department Union has complained about the proposed new rank structure, while many Firefighters are opposed to the formation of a new EMS that would be independent of the Fire Department. Commander Donald Troy has not responded to repeated requests for comment by KXTC Channel Two News."

More Bettina: "And in State news, Governor Val Jared continues to say that he will take no action to suspend Mayor Daniel Allgood if Allgood is indicted by the U.S. DOJ Civil Rights Division for violating the civil rights of blacks in our Town & County, but he would not answer questions regarding the status of Councilwoman Kelly Carnes, who he did suspend after she and her husband were indicted for alleged campaign finance laws violations, only to see the suspension stayed by Superior Court Judge Harry Nance..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Not one word about a thousand people surrounding County Jail to prevent Peter Blassingame from being illegally taken into Federal custody." Cindy Ross said as we drank coffee and watched the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Priya scooped them like crazy on that." I said. "By the time KXTC got out there, it was almost over."

"Still..." said Tanya Perlman, "it was a massively huge news event. You'd think they'd find a way to rehash it. Anyhoo, I was more interested... and more ticked off... at what Bettina said about Daniel Allgood. As of right now, they're not criminally charging Daniel with anything. What I'm hearing is that they're going to file a civil lawsuit against him."

"I think that's scaremongering talk." I said. "They're trying to force Daniel to resign. When he doesn't, then the criminal charges will be filed."

"And they'll go 'criminal' once they realize they can't bankrupt Daniel," said Cindy, "as his legal bills are being paid for by my father through a legal defense fund."

"Everyone," said the Chief, "please be advised that all of you have been subpoenaed in the Peter Blassingame case. You are all on call, so be prepared to get to the Courthouse quick-leeeeee." We all nodded acquiescence.

"Sheriff," said Cindy, "what about those Fire Department complaints about the Charter Commission?"

The Sheriff growled, "The parts about the Union complaints and the complaints over the ranks are bullshit, to use the Klingon term." We all broke out laughing over that, then Griswold said "But the parts about the EMS are not. Chief Quinlin requested a private meeting with me, and asked to speak frankly, which I granted. He told me in no uncertain terms that there is a lot of opposition to a separate EMS, and that he himself is one of those opposed to it."

"Why?" asked Teresa Croyle. "Are the old hatreds really still there?"

"That's some of it." said the Sheriff. "I suspect some of it is about money, too. When the old EMS was running as part of the TCFD, money was allocated for EMS equipment which never got to the EMS, while the Fire Department had nicer vehicles for their various Chiefs than was authorized."

"I've heard those stories from Zoe Singer, too." I said, mentioning the Fire Marshal. "But she never could get proof. Someone was too good at cooking the books, and after all the stuff about the Consultant came out, she wondered if Julie Newton helped with the book-cooking."

"Quinlin doesn't seem like the dishonest type." said Tanya. "And Fire Chief Gillem was an upstanding guy, wasn't he, Sheriff?"

"Yeah, I don't think he was the one." said the Sheriff. "But that Assistant Fire Chief, William Jefferson... that Don ran out of Town... certainly was," (Author's note: 'Six Degrees', Ch. 04.) "and I don't like either of the current Battalion Chiefs."

"Anyway," continued the Sheriff, "I think the Fire Department just doesn't like the idea of a separate EMS. He wanted me to convince the Charter Commission to create a Fire Rescue division, where Fire Medics would be the paramedics and the TCFD would provide the ambulance support. I told him to pitch it to the Commission, but that there was not much support for the idea."

"Wasn't that outlawed?" Cindy asked. "Or there was some legal issue about it."

I said "When the Council disbanded the EMS after they went on strike, the U.S. Labor Department, in tandem with the EMS Union at the National level, warned the Council that if the Fire Department set up their own EMS system, the Federal Government would sue over it. And I for one think they still would if we tried to set up Fire Medics as an EMS substitute, even with a vote of the People."

"Quinlin thinks the vote would overcome that." said the Sheriff. "And by the way... Quinlin also complained about the new Police SUVs you guys got. I told him that if an armed gang shoots up his vehicle like they did Commander Troy's, I'd consider upping his budget. I also mentioned that one of the vehicles was a gift from the BOW Enterprises CEO. He quietened down after that."