Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well," I said, "a new EMS is all but written out, and it's the voice of the People that will decide. At the ballot box."

"Changing the subject," said Cindy Ross, wanting to change the subject, "how did the plan to move Peter Blassingame to the Courthouse work?"

"Very well." said Teresa Croyle. "We sent out three convoys of three cars each, following different routes but converging on the Courthouse at the same time, with multiple drone coverage. Tonight we're going to send out six convoys of two cars, and two convoys will go to the Old Mill, two to Headquarters here, and two to County Jail."

"What happens when his attorney demands to talk to him?" asked the Chief.

"We're going to hold him at the Courthouse until 11:00pm." Teresa replied. "After that, we can declare lockdown for the night, and then take him out. If the attorney's get really snotty, and I expect Gwen Munson will, then we'll hold him at the Courthouse overnight with half of Third Shift and a contingent of deputies guarding him." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we began the Angels meeting following the KFXU broadcast, I got a videoconference call from SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell, which I put on my office monitor, and uncovered the camera under the monitor.

"Hi everyone." Britt said in response to our greetings. "I'm calling about our pursuit of Ken Eidex and Jay Swenson. There's no sign of them. Their cellphones are not pinging anywhere, and we can't remotely turn them on. Their vehicles were found at their City office, which as you know is abandoned and cleaned out. Jay Swenson's home, an apartment, is abandoned and pretty much cleaned out. We don't know where Ken Eidex lives; seems like he was a transient to begin with. They're in the wind."

"Have you tried a nationwide search?" asked Tanya. "Have you asked the FBI to help?" Britt got a pained expression on her beautiful face, so I rescued her.

"No, they haven't." I said, peering at Tanya.

"Why not?" asked Tanya sharply. "They've likely left the State, and their money laundering and other shenanigans are probably crossing State lines---" Only then did she see my 'look' at her turning to anger.

"How's the cooperation between the SBI and the City Police been?" I asked Britt.

"Very good." said Britt. "E.J. Jefferson and Tony Long have worked closely with Norm Chow on this, and none of the brass on either side is giving us any flak about it. But so far, no good results. Eidex and Swenson might indeed be in another State by now."

"Or they may be dead, which is what I suspect." I said. "Keep an eye on any and all Police reports of bodies being found."

"Wilco." said Britt. She signed off and I replaced the cover on the camera.

"All right, I need to go to the Courthouse." I said. "I'll talk to you later, Captain Perlman." Yep, trouble was brewing, and I didn't have time to take care of it now...

Part 11 - State v. P. Blassingame

(Author's note: At this time, readers may wish to re-read 'Unresolved' to be up to speed on this trial.)

"You can't go in there, sir. You're a witness." said a Sheriff's Deputy to me as I peeked through the window of the door into the Old Courtroom.

"You're right, but I can peek in the window." I said.

The Old Courtroom was the largest courtroom in the Courthouse Complex, housed in the original (old) Courthouse building. The pews were full of people, many of them reporters. I saw Paulina Patterson alone at the Prosecutor's table, on the right as one looked from the back of the Courtroom. Wow, was Miriam Walters really giving her no one else to help with this case?

On the left was Peter Blassingame at the Defense table, with that dumb look on his face, wearing an expensive suit.. His mother was in the first row behind him, and next to her was her brother and Peter's uncle, FBI Special Agent Andrew Parsons. I could see that the 'dumb face' look ran strongly in that side of the family.

The Defense Attorneys were Gwen Munson and Nathan Masterson. Munson looked like she was rarin' to go. Masterson looked somewhere between arrogant and bored, except when he looked over at Paulina. His face was a mask of barely concealed hatred whenever he glanced her way.

"Hi Don." I heard a voice say. I looked back to see Jenna Stiles coming up.

"Hi Jenna." I said. "What brings you here?"

"Oh, they didn't tell you?" Jenna asked back. "I'm going to be prosecuting the case with Paulina, on behalf of the State."

"Cool beans." I said. "But under what authority? I didn't think you were a State Attorney anymore."

"Oh, didn't they tell you?" Jenna asked, making me chuckle. "Britt Maxwell hired me as an SBI Attorney for her OER division. And the Governor made a direct appointment of me as a State Attorney for the City/Twin Cities Region, and assigned me to this case. I understand State A.G. Karl Handel was livid about it, but the Governor has the right to do it. And Watts approved it."

"I guess I was too busy keeping the Feds from kidnapping that dingleberry to have heard about it." I said. "And I guess you better get on in there." I opened the door for her and she walked through, and I watched through the window as she went up to the Prosecutor's table, where she and Paulina hugged and then began talking their strategy.

I am not an Agency of the Weak-Minded. Someone arranged with Britt to hire Jenna. Someone arranged for the Sheriff to have the Governor appoint Jenna a State Attorney again so that she could help Paulina. Someone who asked me to let her handle some things. A sneaky Green Crowbar she is, I thought to myself. And I love her for it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

Tanya Perlman drove into my office and parked herself in front of my desk. I had just called her in to finish what we'd started earlier this morning.

"So I have the SBI and the City Police cooperating for the first time in years," I said, "and Britt Maxwell knows what she's doing regarding searching for perps. So why were you stepping all over that this morning?"

"Speaking freely, sir?" Tanya asked.

"Always, when we're alone like this." I said.

"I didn't understand why she wasn't working with the FBI on this." said Tanya. "And I still don't."

"One reason," I said, "is because I asked her to leave the Feds out of it." Tanya's eyes widened in pure shock. I continued: "Look. Jack (Muscone) is putting together a new team. People we were trusting totally stabbed us in the back, and I don't know who to trust yet."

"You don't trust Jack?" Tanya asked, her voice connoting anger more than surprise.

"Yes, I trust Jack." I said. "They betrayed Jack, too. But what's more, if Britt had gone to the Feds, the City Police guys would've stopped cooperating with the SBI."

"Even with E.J. Jefferson and Julius Jefferson being related?" Tanya asked.

"Especially because of things like that." I said. "The trust factor is very fragile all the way around." Tanya nodded, looking very sad as her eyes went introspective.

"Penny for your thoughts." I said. "Canadian penny so you can trade with Cindy."

Tanya hesitated, then said "I don't think you really realize just how much all of this has hurt Jack. They really treated him like a mushroom over the Louella Hopper information, and he really felt like he'd lost your friendship over it. And he really was afraid that it might have forced me to make a choice between him and the TCPD." I nodded.

Tanya continued: "But most of all, he was betrayed by people that he trusted. Martin Nash and Sandra Speer, and the DepDirector. You have no idea how much that hurt Jack. It would be like Sheriff Griswold and Teresa betraying you."

"I get it." I said, remembering a recent 'dream' sequence. "And it hurts more than you know that Greta's in New York and I never see her at all. Having said that, we've got a lot of issues going on now, and we've got to do our jobs with awareness of those who are working hard to thwart every good thing we do."

I noticed Tanya steeling her resolve, then asking what was on her mind: "Commander, is my relationship with Jack causing problems here at the TCPD?"

"No, not for me." I replied. "Any issues with anyone else that I need to be aware of?"

"No sir." said Tanya. She said nothing more, apparently waiting to be dismissed.

"So," I asked, "any ideas who to bring into MCD?"

"Not at this time, sir." Tanya said. "And I'm not sure we need to be in a rush to replace Geiger. When Joanne goes on maternity leave, we'll need to do something."

"We definitely need to be proactive about it." I said. "Be very aware of the politics of it, and that hostile politicians will work hard to take advantage of it if they can. All right, you can go." Tanya turned and drove herself out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:00pm, Monday, August 12th. Cindy and I had put out a call for beer and nachos at the Cop Bar, making a point to invite Tanya and Jack, who showed up. Todd came with Teresa, Callie and Laura showed up, and Jerome Davis and Inga Gunddottar came up with the Mighty Miltons. We were filling up the outside deck, glad that it wasn't too hot a night.

"Where's the Sheriff?" I asked Cindy, adding jokingly: "Can't get him to pay for this if he's not here."

"I've got this one." Cindy said. "I've already told Pops to run a tab for me."

Laura said "The Sheriff is at home with his wife. He brought her up to the Hospital for her appointment with Dr. Searles."

"How'd that go?" I asked. Everyone else at the table's ears were tuned in.

"We're still waiting for all the tests to come in." Laura said. No one present was fooled by the 'doctor-speak', and our looks at her let her know it. She said "It's just a matter of how advanced her heart disease is, if she'll need surgery or not."

Just then Paulina Patterson and Jenna Stiles came out onto the deck. We made room for them, and Paulina sat down next to me and Jenna next to Callie, who actually gave Jenna a hug.

"How did it go in Court today?" I asked.

Paulina said "Gwen Munson is the most irritating bitch I have ever encountered in a Courtroom. We had already had pre-trial meetings with the Judge and worked out stuff and submitted our motions and whatnot. So she comes in asking for a two month continuance, saying that she and Brafford Bacon were late additions to the Defense team. Judge Watts just said 'If I grant that, and you add another new lawyer in two months, will you be expecting continuances to the end of time?' And then he denied the continuance."

Paulina continued: "So then Munson starts whining about a change of venue. Watts had already denied that, but he'd arranged to have potential jurists from all over the northwest part of the State, from Nextdoor County and Coltrane County, even Hamilton and Rivers Counties, bussed in to be part of the jury pool. Munson asked for a continuance to appeal, and Watts snapped her head back on that."

Paulina: "He called us into his Chambers, whereupon he stood, not sat, but stood behind his desk and chewed out Munson for five full minutes. He told her that he would tolerate no attempts to delay the trial or attempt to cause a mistrial, and Munson is now on his 'naughty' list and a short leash."

I asked "Think they'll remove her from their team?"

"No." said Jenna Stiles. "I think she's the leader of the team, in the Courtroom, anyway. It looked to me like she was testing Judge Watts's limits, pushing to see what she could get away with, and she found out quickly that it won't be too much."

"Did you get a jury seated?" Cindy asked.

"No." said Paulina. "We had a pool of 60 people from the County, and 44 of them were struck for cause because they'd heard about the case and remembered details of it, and some of them had been victims of violent crimes. So the out-of-Towners started being brought in. We got it down to 40 people total, then Munson wanted to wait until the morning to make our strikes and seat the Jury. I objected, but Watts allowed it, and those 40 people are being sequestered at the University Hotel and the Hyatt."

"Wow." said Cindy. "How are those people going to get clothes and personal hygiene items?"

Jenna said "When Judge Watts called for the out-of-Towners, they were told to pack a suitcase with personal items and clothes enough to be sequestered for two weeks. Those in the County were given one hour to go home and pack a bag."

"Hmmm..." I said, having gone into a reverie.

"What is it, Don?" asked Cindy.

"It... it's very unusual for a jury selection to go overnight like this, isn't it?" I asked.

"Yes." said Paulina. "Not unheard of, but rare."

"You had your 40 finalists." I said. "And Watts could've made you go until 11:00pm to whittle them down to twelve and what, six alternates?" Paulina and Jenna nodded, and I continued: "But Munson wanted all night... to study those names..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Later on, I sat with Jack Muscone for a few minutes of conversation.

"You know," I said jokingly, "Harvey Eckhart has 'team-building' exercises as part of one of his camps."

"Yeah, I should sign all of my Agents up for one of those." replied Jack.

"So how's your team-building going?" I asked.

"Good, and not-so-good." said Jack. "The EAD pointed out that Team Lazarus was a special bunch, but trying to replace it might not be a good idea. He suggested I let Julius Jefferson and Ted Crenshaw build their teams, and that I do what SACs are supposed to do: supervise."

"That explains some things." I said. "Someone must've promoted Bowser and Buddy to Special Agents In Charge. No wonder they lay around 'supervising' all day."

"Heh." said Muscone. "Yeah, I think the EAD is right; I'm just going to let them build their teams, and take a step back."

"Like some people want me to do." I said.

"You have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men." said Muscone. "You should keep playing Detective. But I'll give you this two cents worth of advice... always keep it professional. I let my guard down, and people I thought were my friends stabbed me in the back like Brutus did to Julius Caesar. You think it won't happen to you, but... well, just remember to keep everything professional."

"I was going to ask Tanya this," I said, "but I was afraid it'd put her in a position of saying something you told her in confidence. So you can tell me its none of my business, but when did Martin Nash start turning on you?"

Muscone nodded. "I appreciate you respecting Tanya's situation." he said. "As to Nash, it was more him turning on you. I think he's had reservations about the way you do some things for a while. He never was happy about you letting your sister escape to Europe, and to Israel. But I think the tipping point for him was finding that playing card in that empty storage space. and assuming you'd found McGinty's Materials. And then..."

"... he went to his uncle instead of you," I said, "and they manipulated you into asking me about that card."

"Yes." said Muscone. "Julius Jefferson did the right thing, and reported it to me... even after Nash told him not to. And then that card thing, and then..."

"And then I'm found under the Hospital," I said, "having been tortured because someone thought I had McGinty's Materials."

"Not to mention that attack on your vehicle." said Muscone. "Thank God Melina shoots so well! I thought you were dead then, even moreso than when they brought you out of that Hospital cellar."

"And that led to the breakup of Team Lazarus." I said. "Martin got mad at Julius for saying something to you in the first place..."

"... and after he heard about you being found under the hospital, Julius just about ripped Martin apart, physically, like a Police Boxing Matches bout." said Muscone. "It was all over after that. I persuaded Julius to stay with me, but Sandra was gone, and Lindy was moving to Cardigan's group, saying she didn't want to work with Martin anymore. And there's one more thing you need to know, Don: those FBI schemes to plant stuff on Bettina, ostensibly to find a leak... that was Martin and his uncle. And it's going to end up totally destroying your chances of getting Bettina for treason. This was our chance to really put a dent in the Press committing treason then hiding behind the First Amendment... and they blew it up. Anyway... just remember to be professional, and never get too close to your colleagues and especially your subordinates..."

Part 12 - Councils and Politicians

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redhead MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, August 13th, from near the Courthouse Complex. "The trial of Peter Blassingame, son of SPS magnate Edward Blassingame, has begun, and the State has brought in a new attorney to lead the Prosecution!"

Bettina began: "State Attorney Jenna Stiles was brought in as the lead Prosecutor in the Peter Blassingame case. Jury selection began yesterday after Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts refused a Defense motion for a change of venue. Judge Watts did have potential jurors brought in from other counties to increase the jury poll numbers, and it is expected that a Jury will be seated today and that the trial can begin in earnest."

Bettina: "In other news, the Council meeting tonight is expected to take up a complaint by Fire Chief Quinlin that the Police Department bought several expensive SUVs for the Police leadership, but denied Fire Department requests for equivalent spending on TCFD vehicles. Sheriff Griswold issued a statement saying that the vehicles were budgeted for, that one vehicle was a replacement for the vehicle that was destroyed by an armed attack upon Commander Donald Troy, and that one vehicle was a gift to the TCPD from BOW Enterprises CEO Todd Burke, who was rescued by the TCPD after being badly injured in a hostage situation. That vehicle is being driven by Mr. Burke's wife, Captain Teresa Croyle."

Bettina: "And Channel Two News has learned that the SBI has not asked for the help of the FBI in their pursuit of Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex of the Citizens For Police Accountability. Swenson and Eidex have disappeared after warrants were issued for their arrests when they did not show up for the Court hearing in the lawsuit filed against them by Commander Donald Troy. The SBI offered no explanation on whey they've refused the help and the superior resources of the FBI, and Commander Troy has refused to respond to repeated requests by KXTC for comment."

Bettina: "Last but not least, the Ladies Auxiliary Club is hosting ADA Savannah Fineman and Mrs. Edna Carter, both members of the Charter Commission, for a luncheon on Thursday. Mrs. Myrtle L. James said that there will be a Q&A session, and that the Auxiliary members might have an informal debate on the Charter, as well as the possibility of the Town & County becoming separate entities again..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's not going to be Fire Chief by tonight's Council meeting." growled Sheriff Griswold. He got up and left the coffee klatch.

"And Todd makes a very generous gift to the TCPD," said Teresa Croyle, "and Bettina makes it sound sleazy. God damn her. I'm going to go see what Todd wants to do about making a Press statement about that." She got up and left the meeting.

"And it's false that Jenna Stiles is taking over the prosecutorial lead." Cindy said. "Paulina is still the lead Prosecutor. Jenna came in only after Miriam Walters gave Paulina no help. In fact... I'm going to go issue a Press statement calling Bettina a liar." She got up and left the coffee klatch.

"I guess I should go call Jack," said Tanya, " and see what he says about that shot at the FBI."

"And the SBI." I said as Tanya left the coffee klatch.

"Well, Mr. Crowbarrrr." said the Chief. "It's just youuuu and meeeee. Or are you going to leave, too?"