Walker Ch. 01.02

Info
A Tigreni warrior in exile is unable to escape human culture.
2.2k words
4.54
1.1k
00

Part 4 of the 20 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 09/13/2022
Share this

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers

He walked through most of the day until the land sloped upwards behind him in the night. The next village, he had been informed, waited a day and a half's walk to a river, '...then follow it north for about half a day. It's on the bank.'

She had woken in the night, mumbling at first and pushing in her sling. He had to stop when an arm extruded itself and gripped the neck of his robe.

'Stop. You'll tear it.'

He knew she needed comforting, but humans were too strange for him. They seemed like straight backed and shaven chimps, the brows and their flat faces. For a while she slurred half formed words at him. He tolerated the small fingers grasping at his muzzle, tugging at his jaw as if wanting to pull herself up.

The trees had grown thinner and he stood among them dejectedly, thinking back to when he was a cub.

In a low voice he began, 'Ramossa was the king... the god of existence. But there was nothing of what we know now. It was blackness and space. Aeons passed as nothing to him. Though time was as nothing to him, he grew lonely nonetheless. He yearned for something.'

The tiger tried to imitate some of the lyricism but the human tongue would not accommodate. Instead he simply spoke the words to pattern in a sing-song-drawl. The rhythm followed his steps.

'What is something in nothing. Pondered Ramossa. Dreaming he saw, loneliness he drew, colors of movement and life. What I am, commanded, he created, another, a daughter. Like he, different. A flower, named Sarosa.'

The girl had stopped her struggling. And he set off again.

'Sarosa, drifted into eternity, wondering and pondering like her sire. Born from a dream though, she was infected with her own. She dreamt. Grew lonely with Ramossa and time as her only company. And eventually pondered for more.'

What is there to want daughter, argued Ramossa, there is only suffering in want.

And this is the suffering for lack of want, father, she retorted. We have observed the chaos until the chaos seemed of order. Now we observe the order of chaos, what if there were others with us here? I ask only that you stir the chaos. Let us see.

And what is us daughter, asked Ramossa, if not the order of chaos.

Something in nothing father, equal to all nothing. It is a perfect circle; the only answer to the other is the other. As you and I are the only to the other.

Then daughter, I shall stir the order from the chaos for you. In time, you shall see no difference.

Then father, Sarosa said, let there be light.

Ramossa let there be light. Offered his creation; something.

Sarosa laughed, accepting the gift.

Sarosa scattered the seed of her father across time. Stars tumbled into an infinite universe like a womb.

Gardens grew wild in star light.

But soon, gardeners were needed. Spirit was born from the many dreams of Sarosa, filling the gardens and eventually detaching to become something new. The animals were born.

Daughter, warned Ramossa, forget not. The stirring will eventually settle.

Father, she answered marveling as the animals began to speak, chaos and order will again become one... and this must end in time.

*

His ears prickled at the soft snores coming from his belly. He sighed again missing the jungles and the heat. The weight round his neck grew heavier with the miles.

The river came. He judged north by the setting moon and trudged on beside the grey stone and sand riverbed.

The sun was full in the sky when he came in sight of the wooden palisade. A bridge needed to be crossed to get to the gate. A half dozen armed men stood on the far side watching the cowled figure's approach.

'Halt!' one shouted as the tiger stepped onto the planks of the small bridge. The others had bows at the ready.

He stopped.

'Show your face!'

The tiger dropped the deer carcass and raised his hands. Slowly he pulled back the cowl to reveal his face.

'Ye gods. Are you a demon?' the other men had arrows notched and drawn.

'Do not loose, sirs. I'm a visitor. I invoke the laws of Norrish hospitality.'

The men shifted uncomfortably.

'Do you now?' the leader responded taking a step forward. He was an older man with jet black hair streaked with silver 'Those are the laws of men. You do not seem a man to mine eyes.'

'I am Tigreni. From across the mountains and far to the east.'

'Oh, aye. I heard of your kind. What do you want here?'

'Same as any; trade, rest and safety. You have an Elderman?'

'Aye we do. Cross the bridge, careful like.'

The tiger picked up the carcass and footed the creaking planks. One man had gone into the gates while the others formed a guarded half circle about him.

'May I sit?'

'Aye.'

He chose a spot on the wet grass where he cradled the girl in his lap, she did not wake and he hoped she would remain sleeping.

The men scrutinized him curiously, cautiously. They kept their distance but their hands close to their axes.

'What is there to do in this village?' he asked of the leader. The hope was that the men would relax if he were in conversation.

'Well, since we're on the river we get boats, come down and trade for our lumber and beef. We's not a poor farmstead if that's yer asking. There's a tavern with some pretty slave wenches who'll take your coin and take to your bed. A blacksmith and some merchants. Many a slavejack ta fuck if you pay their owners some coin. Though, we're not used to your kind but the women are plenty enough for their men not to care.'

'Many travelers?'

'A fair few, though we been hearing of bandits of late further north, mostly traders have been coming by boat.'

The girl stirred and the guard noticed. The man drew closer with his hand on his blade, 'She your slave? Care to explain?' The other men drew closer.

'I do not care to explain.'

'I think you shall anyways.' The man gave him a wry smile.

'The father bet silver he didn't have. The Elderman enforced the law of gamble.'

'Ah, a slave.' for long moments they stared at each other, 'So, that's the how of it. Why is she in this state?'

'Her betrothed pursued her while I was hunting. He felt cheated by the gamble and made it so men would not marry her.'

'And she's so sorely wounded?'

'They were not gentle.'

The tiger smelt the wariness of the men now.

'The laws of hospitality only extend so far Tigreni. I'll have to speak with the slave and confirm there's been no banditry left out in this tale. You understand?'

'I do. Yet I ask you delay your questioning. Her mind is wounded, she escapes in sleep.'

'No questions. But we will take a look.' To the others the man said, 'Stand ready lads.' They shifted and the tiger unhappily placed his palms flat on the grass behind him to indicate peacefulness. 'Good.', said the man, '. The folds were moved aside to reveal a mess of yellow hair. Brusquely he took hold of the flaps and uncovered the girl inside. Like a babe she was curled. She stirred in the tiger's lap as the warmth escaped.

Black and purple bruises covered her back. Fresh scratches formed a latticework of red and even beneath the volume of hair the man could see the swollen eyes and broken lips. Bemused he reached for her shoulder to move her. As he pulled, she awoke.

Her head swung round. The single good eye saw the men circled around and she croaked. Suddenly, like a cat, she sprang up. Ignoring her wounds she sprinted onto the bridge.

Cursing, the tiger scrambled after her with the men in pursuit. In a wild panic she flung herself over the rails. Her body slapped the waters hard and she disappeared beneath the surface.

There was an instant where the tiger thought, it's one gamble lost, I could just let it be. But he found himself leaping after her. The waters were deep but slow, soon he caught up to the floating human and grasped a handful of hair by which he dragged her to the bank. He checked her breathing, then lay flat and miserable beside her unconscious body.

Moments later the men ran up. The older man barked orders 'Go light a fire. Fetch that canvas she was in. Marren, pick her up and carry back. If she wakes again, hold her down but get her dry and warmed.'

The men obeyed. The rest sauntered back to the bridge leaving the older man with the tiger.

'Apologies eh. I did not mean for that to happen.'

'I believe her trust in men has shattered.' the tiger grumbled.

'Aye, tis a harsh world for the women. I don't know about your homeland but we've ten born for every man. Someone's gotta do the work.'

The man laughed suddenly. The tiger glared at him.

'You remind me of my cat when it fell in the waters by accident.'

'I prefer warmer waters.'

'Come, let's get you to a fire before the cold gets you too. My name's Edwin.'

'Walker.' the tiger offered standing.

'Name or title?'

'Both.'

'Aye, I see.'

The girl had been wrapped in the tent. She woke soon after the fire had started, the men kept their distance and she was made content in the tiger's lap and dark of the tent.

One of the men returned from behind the palisade with a towel, 'Elderman'll be here soon.' he informed Edwin.

Edwin handed the towel to the tiger, 'You'll not have to wait long now. Have you coin for a room?'

'I should camp in the forest.'

'Hmm, why would you?'

'Many think me a demon.'

'Aye, I see that. But you've no worries in Lumberton. Like I said, we's no farmstead. The steaders tend to superstition and fear more'n we do. We've heard tales of Tigreni cities here, towers of marble and homes carved into jungle mountains. Roads of gold and silver. Riches abound.'

'Hrmm.' Walker scoffed, 'Truth is not as grand as a tale.'

'Aye, true, true. Scuse the questions but my curiosity's burning. Why're you in Norrish lands?'

'Walking. Seeing.'

'Ha! Is that it?'

The tiger was warming up to this human, 'Yes... Aye.' he imitated. 'Aye, I've come to see.'

'And how're you sustaining yourself? You got that gutted carcass over there. You hunt and walk?'

'I fight.'

'Aye, I see. The gamble?'

'Match my silver and land a blow on my body.' the tiger confirmed.

The gates opened and an old, grey bearded man, flanked by guards, approached them.

'They told no lies. No, no, sit. Don't disturb your girl. Normally I'm not called on by the traders my strange fellow. Why do you call on the Elderman of Lumberton?'

The tiger nodded as respectfully as he could, 'I seek permission to conduct combat under Norrish hospitality.'

The old man's eyes widened, 'Truly, truly, some entertainment. Exotic even. A Tigreni walking our lands.' The Elderman nodded thoughtfully, 'How is this combat conducted?'

'Without intent to kill Elderman. Staff, stick or fist.'

'They must land body blow.' Captain Edwin added.

'Good good. And who judges this?'

'Any man you deem honest.'

The Elderman looked to the overcast sky thoughtfully, 'You have permission on condition that a single portion is paid to the man judging and two portions paid to the coffers of the town.'

'One third of coin gambled?' Walker said.

'Aye aye. If that is agreeable.'

'It is steep Elderman.'

The Elderman's eyes settled on the tiger's 'You've not coin to lose?'

'I've little coin.'

The Elderman nodded, 'A shame. Tigers have never been seen in our lands and Tigreni are the stuff of tales. But there is a cost to business young man... young tiger...'

'Elderman.' Edwin interjected, 'I suggest we gamble.'

'How so Captain?'

'Let him have three bouts free of tax. If he loses money to gamble, then that's the end of it. If he wins, he has money to gamble. Either way, we've a show and a tale to tell. Many a lad will fight and there's hundreds of slavejacks in the hills with owners and coin.'

The Elderman nodded, 'Acceptable. Do you agree ehhh.'

'His name's Walker.'

'I agree to the terms Elderman. Many thanks to you and the Captain.'

'Welcome to Lumberton Tigreni Walker. Captain Edwin, you'll appoint a man and track this situation?'

'I will Elderman.'

The Elderman swatted his long beard aside and offered his hand to the tiger who shook it, 'Right-o boyos. I've business to attend.'

Captain Edwin watched the old man walk to the gate before turning to the tiger with a grin on his face, 'Exciting day this.'

'Hrmm.'

Edwin added brightly, 'You'll stay with me for the night. Half-dead girl, scant coin and a deer carcass. Seems your luck's not found you yet.'

'Not yet.'

--:--
--:--
1.0
Duckies
Duckies
Duckies
4 Followers
Please rate this
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
Share this

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Walker Ch. 01.01 Previous Part
Walker Series Info

Similar Stories

Seeds - One The Rangers deal with a mysterious threat sweeping the land.in Audio
Meeting the New Enemy Ch. 01 Hot private time for the three, a new enemy comes.in Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Seeds - Two The Rangers deal with a mysterious threat sweeping the land.in Audio
Seeds - Three The Rangers deal with a mysterious threat sweeping the land.in Audio
Seeds - Four The Rangers deal with a mysterious threat sweeping the land.in Audio
More Stories