Walking an Endless Path Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Two guys hit you with baseball bats, and you talked them out of their anger? Have you considered a job as a negotiator?" she said with a smile.

"The attack was probably a little exaggerated. You know how excited people can get in a fight. Besides, my Dad told me it's easy to get angry when someone hurts you, but it's much more rewarding to find out why they are hurting you. The trick is getting them to hold still so they can answer your questions," he said, returning her smile.

"So you didn't see the Wexler brothers after they left the park grounds last night?" the officer asked.

Joe started to feel worried. "No. Did something happen?"

"The investigation is still ongoing, but both brothers have been charged with assault in the beating of their father, Darren Wexler. He's in critical condition at County General. We're not sure if he's going to wake up. Both Ray and Randy have multiple knife wounds on their body and are under police guard at the same hospital."

"Damn," Joe exclaimed. "Randy said last night that he was sorry he didn't protect his brother Robbie from being beaten by their father. I assume they also got the same treatment from him. They left the park last night feeling pretty guilty about how they treated Robbie. I wonder if they confronted their dad last night about the beatings."

Joe leaned forward and put his head in his hands. "Dammit! I should have let the police take them into custody last night, just for their own protection! Even when I try to do something good for that family, it turns to shit!"

"Did you suspect they might do this?" the officer asked.

"What?!? No! Of course not!" Joe growled.

"But you helped them deal with the loss of their brother and pointed them towards grief counseling?" she continued.

"Well... yeah," he said.

"Then I see no crime here, legal or moral. I thank you for your assistance in this matter, and here's my card in case you think of anything else that may assist in this investigation. My home number is on the back if you think of anything else you might like to ask me outside of the investigation." She handed him the card with a cheeky smile and returned to the loading bay to enter the store. Joe watched her go with a look of surprise on his face.

There was no chance he'd be able to relax after that, so he walked back into the building, where he met Rene in the loading area collecting his inventory sheets.

"Hi, Joe. As delightful as that looks, you should put your shirt back on before you enter the store," she said with a smirk.

Joe was in such a daze he'd forgotten to put it back on. He blushed and quickly pulled it over his head. He finished his duties and changed into his security uniform before heading to the park.

It was Friday, so there would be two shows this evening. That meant extra duties for the crew, who had to reset all the stage elements in twenty minutes and ensure the audience seating was prepared for the second show.

Fridays also meant twice the box office and concession stand receipts. A perfect opportunity for those thieves to make a second appearance. The target was extra juicy these days with sell-out performances. Including the concession receipts, there was now typically a big deposit to be made at the end of the night. While not a fortune in cash, it was certainly larger than the score the thieves had originally made.

It was nice that Laurence and Frank had confidence in Joe as a deterrent, but he didn't hold the same belief when the thieves might bring guns with them next time. Joe was not interested in facing a gunman with only his bare hands. Nor would he carry a weapon of his own. Laurence assured him that the deposit was no longer his responsibility if they had guns. In that case, his only job would be to get Frank and himself to safety.

Nothing had happened on the past three Fridays, but instead of feeling assured, Joe took this to mean they were preparing. If only they'd been caught after they'd attacked Frank.

When Joe arrived, he spotted Laurence waving him over excitedly. Amy was with him, and the two were absolutely sparkling with barely suppressed energy.

"Joe! My good man! It's a very special night tonight!" the artistic director exclaimed.

Joe's eyebrows rose, and he looked at Amy for clues, but she just grinned excitedly.

"During the first show, our guest box will host Talia, who I understand is the bee's knees or the current slang equivalent. I'm told she's important to pop music." He looked at Amy, who was groaning in dismay at his lack of respect for the pop icon. He looked at Joe, who shrugged to show he didn't recognize the name either. Amy growled at him and slapped his arm!

"Anyway, I've heard from a little bird that Talia is no fan of Shakespeare but instead got word of a certain huge hunk of tall, dark man who guarded her friend Niki Love last week. Apparently, Ms. Love hasn't stopped gushing about you. Talia flew in specifically from her residence in LA to see for herself."

Amy gave Joe a piercing look, but Joe was trying to remember Niki Love. So many people were coming through the show that he couldn't keep them all straight. Then the memory came rushing back, and he grimaced. He knew he should have been more careful. Niki Love was the kisser. She kissed everyone once on each cheek. That night, she'd watched Joe's ass as much as she'd watched the performance. When the show was over, she invited Joe to a party, but he politely refused, so she asked for a kiss. As he'd seen her doing the two-cheek kiss all night, he dipped his head to the short, pink-haired pixie rock star only to find her arms around his neck and her soft lips crushed against his. He heard her personal bodyguards laughing at his grunt of surprise, so he rashly decided to get revenge. He slipped his hands behind Niki's back and ass and kissed her deeply, allowing the surge to explode through his kiss to almost overwhelm his senses. When he pulled back from the kiss and shook off the effects, she was trembling in aftershocks and quite unconscious. He handed her to her now very upset guards and assured them she was only sleeping. Joe was just a little too intimidating for them to push the issue.

"This Talia has... something of a reputation as a man-eater, so Joe, you'll need to take precautions this time." Laurence tossed him something, which he automatically caught. Joe looked at his hand and saw he was holding a condom with a large gold XL printed on it. The older man had a big grin, and Joe's face bloomed into a full blush as Amy looked at both of them in outrage. Joe tucked the condom in his back pocket.

"More importantly, for the second performance, we will have a dear friend of mine from Los Angeles in the guest box. Alicia Ravenheart will grace us with her presence. She is very influential in Hollywood and has her hand in stage productions worldwide. I would very much like her visit to be smooth and pleasant. She really is a long-time friend of mine, and we shall spare no expense to ensure she enjoys herself," Laurence said with a significant look at Joe.

Amy was all grins and bubbles, but Joe wasn't clear on exactly what Laurence was asking of him. He was always friendly and pleasant to the guests. He didn't get star-struck. He didn't know who any of these people were, and frankly, he really didn't care.

Laurence was getting frustrated as he could tell Joe wasn't taking the hint. "Oh, Bloody Hell, Joe! All I mean is, if she asks you out for a drink after the play, have a drink with the woman! I'm not asking you to prostitute yourself. Just have a little fun! I've heard all the stories from the cast and crew about how you've turned down every guest who's asked you out. These celebrities are not used to being rejected, but at least you do it gently. You've actually managed to generate something of a mystique for yourself. At least part of the attraction for some special guests coming to see our show appears to be you!"

Joe looked surprised by this and looked at Amy. She also looked shocked, so he guessed his sister hadn't been included in this storytelling.

"Okay, sure... but I don't drink," Joe mumbled.

Laurence sighed and rolled his eyes. "It's the company, Joe, not the beverage. Drink what you like. Just have fun! She's a lovely, intelligent, vivacious woman with serious star-maker power. I'm hoping she will take Amy under her wing so, as her protective older brother, Alicia's someone you should get to know."

Joe nodded, and Laurence patted him on the shoulder.

"Lord, you are a big man," the older man said, hustling off to get people moving. Amy smirked and gave Joe a big hug. She scampered off to get ready, and Joe started his rounds.

Hours later, the preshow nerves were showing, but Laurence had prepared them well. Their positive energy was so powerful and contagious that the cast and crew were almost feverishly happy.

Joe guided Frank with the first show's box office receipts back to the trailer and saw him securely locked inside to start the counting.

Joe then took his position at the edge of the guest box. He kept an eye on the audience as they found their seats, and everything seemed to be moving smoothly.

Suddenly, he felt a presence enter the guest box behind him. Maybe it was the job, but he was beginning to be able to tell when he was being watched. With one final scan of the audience, he turned to the guest box to find himself looking almost eye-to-eye with a beautiful black woman. She stood only a foot away from him, right up in his personal space, seeing what he'd do. He'd never met a woman so close to his height before. It was kind of nice! He could feel the confidence radiating from her like heat from the sun. This had to be her, but it was best to let her know he wasn't awestruck.

"Hi, I'm Joe. Are you Talia?" he asked.

"Am I Talia?" she boomed with a laugh. The people she'd brought with her tittered and chuckled, but Joe didn't hear any genuine amusement in the sound. He immediately dismissed them.

Joe noticed three steely-eyed, immaculately dressed men standing near the front of the group. They weren't happy to be here. They had to be the bodyguards, and they'd probably heard a thing or two from Niki Love's crew. He could tell they were ready to move on him to ensure Talia didn't fall on their watch. He smirked at their attempt to intimidate. He looked back at Talia and saw she was genuinely delighted to see his assessment of her entourage written on his face.

"Niki says hello. That's not all she said, but... we've only just met," Talia said with the smallest teasing smile at the edge of her lips.

Joe's blush was real, and that also seemed to please Talia. "I think I'm gonna like you," she said.

He nodded, and she turned to find her chair. The three bodyguards took the remaining three seats, and the squawking group of hangers-on was ushered off the stage to sit in an alcove out of the way of the traffic. There was no view of anything from there.

Joe turned back to the audience and immediately spotted a man stealthily sliding up to the guest box with his hand inside his jacket, holding something bulky. Joe hadn't been spotted yet, so he dropped off the edge of the stage to land in a crouch on the floor six feet below, right in front of the man. He lunged forward and pinned the man against the wall, his right hand holding the man's hand trapped under his jacket. Joe could feel through the fabric that it wasn't a camera hidden by the material. It was a gun!

"Let go, I gotta kill her!" the man spat.

Joe slammed his forehead into the man's nose when he tried to yank his hand free. There was a sickening crack, and the man slumped to the floor unconscious. Keeping a firm grip on the gun, Joe pulled the jacket back and saw an enormous cannon held in the limp hand of the unconscious man. Joe carefully removed the gun, slid it aside, then pulled out his phone and called the police. He asked if they could send the officers sitting outside the park inside to collect his prisoner. Joe checked his pockets, found his wallet, and saw his name was Rowe Ghana of New York City. He put the wallet back. Three minutes later, the man was in cuffs and was coming around. The police collected the weapon and a brief statement from Joe. He told them he would be in later to make a full statement. Karen Kowalski showed up and handed him a napkin to wipe the blood off his forehead. She said that she'd stick around to take his account of events later. He asked if she could cover his position while he made his way back onto the stage. She agreed, so he hustled backstage and back to the guest box.

The show was almost ready to begin. Joe walked over to the edge of the stage, let Karen know he was in position, and thanked her. Then he walked over to Talia. He saw the muscles tightening on the bodyguards, who had been fairly relaxed before he'd arrived. She smiled when he went down on one knee before her chair.

"Sorry to disturb you, but do you happen to know a man named Rowe Ghana?" Joe asked. The guards leapt to their feet, but Talia waved them off, her smile replaced by a look of dread.

"Yes, he's an ex of mine. I've got a restraining order on him. Why? Was he here? Is that why you dropped off the stage?" Talia became more agitated as she asked the questions. Then she noticed the blood smear on Joe's forehead. "Oh my god! Did you kill him?"

Joe shook his head gently. "No, I didn't kill him. I saw a man sneaking up to the edge of the stage with his hand in his jacket. I dropped down and grabbed him. He told me Let go, I gotta kill her so I knocked him unconscious, and the police just took him away. He was carrying the biggest gun I have ever seen. I read his driver's license, and it said his name was Rowe Ghana."

Talia was deeply shaken. Joe could see tears beginning in her eyes. He looked up at the guards, who were seriously pissed at him. "Do any of you gentlemen have a handkerchief or a tissue for Talia?" Joe asked calmly. Then they were falling all over themselves to find something for her. She took the tissues offered and suddenly reached out and grabbed Joe's hand. "Oh, God! He was going to kill me! I don't know how to thank you!" she said.

"No need." He smiled and gestured to the stretched-out SECURITY printed on his t-shirt. "It's what I do." Joe saw the distress on her face and made a suggestion. "Perhaps tonight's not the best night for you to see the show? Why don't we reschedule you for a week or so from now? You'll really enjoy it then."

"Yes. Yes, you're right." She squeezed his hand again, and they both stood.

Joe looked at the bodyguards and told them to find Officer Karen Kowalski at the entrance by the box office and indicated that she'd take them to the police station to make the identification and take their statement. Just then, Joe had a thought. "Talia, you live in LA now, right?" She nodded. "His license indicated he lived in New York. How could he have known you would be in tiny little Glennville, of all places, attending this specific show tonight? Who else knew?"

Talia's eyes widened, then became cold and hard. Looking back at Joe, she saw his concern, and her expression softened.

"Thank you, Joe. I look forward to seeing you again." On impulse, she leaned forward and kissed him, hard. They both pulled back in surprise as the kiss caught Joe unprepared, and the surge flared strongly. She looked at Joe appraisingly and growled sexily. "Definitely, I'm looking forward to seeing you again."

He followed the unhappy bodyguards who encircled Talia as she left the stage. Her entourage scrambled to join her. Talia scanned her group once with her eyes, then nodded to Joe. They left in a cluster.

Laurence rushed up to him, questions written all over his face. Joe slumped into a chair as his legs gave out, reaction to the adrenalin rush fading combined with the aftermath of the kiss. The actors crowded around Joe, asking how he was until Laurence sent them off to begin the show. Joe looked up at them with a big thankful smile, and everyone relaxed. Once alone, Joe grabbed Laurence's hand and gasped. "He had a gun. A BIG one."

"Who did?" the older man asked.

"Talia's ex came here to kill her. I got to him first, and now the police have him. But... he had a gun. I thought he was a paparazzo with a camera." Joe was shaking.

"Joe, just sit here and relax. I'll get a runner to get you a drink."

"Mr. Ashworth, I'm sorry, don't worry about me. I'm just a little shaken up. I'll be fine. The show must go on!" Joe finished with a weak grin.

Just then, the curtain raised, and with a quick nod, Laurence was off to his position just off-stage.

Joe leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes for a few minutes. Once he felt back in control of himself, he began his rounds. Best to get back into a routine.

The performance was as good as they'd ever been. The cast hit their marks flawlessly, and the audience ate up every second with gasping anticipation. Amy was particularly on her A-game, and you could feel the energy flowing between the cast members and the audience. The crowds dispersed once the final curtain fell and the lights came up. The cleaner team comprised of summer students zipped through the seats, and the crew reset the stages for the next performance. Joe locked up the trailer and walked Frank to the box office to prepare for the collections for the next show.

Joe spotted Laurence speaking with a striking woman in her mid-fifties, petite but voluptuous, dressed stylishly but making no effort to hide her sensual curves. They laughed together, and Joe saw genuine friendship in their eyes and touches. Laurence noticed Joe and waved him over.

"Joe, my boy! May I introduce to you my good friend Alicia Ravenheart! Alicia, this is Joe Neumann. As you can see by the billboard he's wearing, he's been performing security duties for our esteemed guests. You might have heard a thing or two about that," he finished with a knowing grin. Joe was fully aware of how Laurence and, honestly, most of the troop thrived on gossip. Maybe it was just part of the biz.

Alicia offered her hand palm down. Joe caught the twinkle in Laurence's eye, so he played ball by taking her small hand in his larger one, gracefully bowing over it, and gently pressing his lips to her delicate knuckles while maintaining eye contact with her. He saw a slight flush rush up her neck, and her eyelashes fluttered unconsciously.

"I've never met a security man with such divine manners!" Alicia said, her voice betraying a slight breathlessness. She had a deep, contralto voice, almost more purr than talk. Laurence was beaming.

"Joe has been an absolutely indispensable part of the team. He prevented a paparazzo from taking compromising photos of some of our actors, talked down two men who assaulted him with bats, and just tonight, he prevented the attempted murder of Talia," Laurence boasted.

"Yes, I spoke with Talia as she left," Alicia disclosed. "She was also very impressed with our Mr. Neumann." She eyed him appraisingly. Joe caught the possessive pronoun.

Laurence's face dropped in surprise. "But... that means you've seen the show!" he exclaimed.

"Indeed I have. I find arriving unannounced allows me to see a far more natural behavior. I certainly wasn't disappointed this time! Your people are brilliant!" Alicia said, smiling. "Who was that little blond spitfire?"

Laurence beamed again. "That would be Amy Neumann. Joe's little sister and my latest find. She's a complete natural. I've never seen anything like it. She has total recall for her lines, an immediate grasp of the most subtle nuances of the characters she portrays, and takes direction with no ego filter. A rarity in this business! Frankly, she's a dream to work with."

Joe had never heard such praise from Laurence for anyone. He was very pleased for Amy and couldn't wait to tell her what he'd heard.