Walking an Endless Path Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Amy looked at her parents and Joe then announced she was going to Hollywood to meet with Alicia Ravenheart and potentially see some directors to do some screen tests. While the announcement was the first they'd heard of her plans, Karl and Clara knew this day had been coming, so they were not surprised. Nor would they hold her back from living her dream. They still had concerns that Joe seemed to be in a holding pattern.

The news rocked Joe more than he expected. Intellectually he also knew that one day Amy would be heading off to find her stardom, but his heart wasn't prepared for it to be so soon. He'd had three summers to prepare for this. Three times Amy went off to camp and left him at home. But he always knew she'd be coming back in two months. This time she was leaving and potentially not returning, other than for the occasional visit.

Joe blinked away tears and wiped at his eyes with a napkin, surprised at how strong the emotions were and how quickly they rushed over on him.

Amy turned back from her friends and saw Joe struggling to keep his tears at bay.

"Joe?"

"Congratulations Amy!" he croaked.

Clara put her hand on her son's back and gave it a rub. "Amy is leaving the nest, Joseph. Your father and I feel as you do. We are also sad, but it's an exciting time for Amy."

"I know, Mom. I really am happy for Amy." He looked up at his little sister's concerned face and gave her a sad smile. "You're going to be amazing in Hollywood! Please don't worry about me. I think I'm still just shaky from the robbery."

Amy hugged her brother and gave his cheek a kiss. Joe's control crumbled, and the tears flowed. He looked over at his Dad for help, and Karl assisted him to his feet and walked him outside to get some air. Amy and Clara stayed behind to have their own talk.

Karl stood on the sidewalk next to Joe, who was getting his emotions back under control. "Joe, have you put any thought into what you'd like to do next. You know I have no reservations regarding you one day taking over the operation of the farm, but I'm getting the impression that while you enjoy it, it isn't your passion. Is working at St. Germain's giving you that satisfaction? Your mother and I just want you to be happy."

Joe wiped his eyes one last time and thought about everything he'd been through in the past few years since graduating. His Dad was right. He liked farming and could do it, but it didn't feel like what he was destined for. He couldn't really explain it. He also enjoyed working with Rene at the store but had to admit that he'd been coasting the last couple of years. The one thing he'd found the most satisfying was working security with the theatre troop. He looked up at his Dad.

"I like working at the farm, but you're right. I'm not a farmer. I like working at the store, but that's been more like going to a gym than a career. What felt... right, like I was supposed to be there, doing what I was doing, was being security. I'm not aggressive or violent, but protecting people just... I don't know. It resonates?" Joe looked at his dad with a confused expression.

Karl watched his son grapple with this decision. He remembered his young child struggling to survive as his body adapted to whatever that thing was that melted inside of him. He recalled the years when Joe looked like he might never grow. He knew Joe had suffered at the hands of bullies due to his weakened state, but when he grew into his own strength, he'd never thought to retaliate. Karl was incredibly proud of his son.

"If you want to get into security, maybe specializing in entertainment as you did this summer, perhaps you should look into getting some official training?" Karl suggested.

"Yeah... yeah, that would be a good idea. Any idea where I'd go for that?" Joe asked.

Karl looked at his son and smiled. "Hollywood."