Walking an Endless Path Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Joe nodded, thinking how much more plausible it sounded than the truth. "But what about my, uh... exposure to everyone when I got back."

"Director Bannon and Agent White are ensuring no images of you were taken. None of the military personnel are permitted to carry personal devices on these missions as they are too big of a security breach." the General explained. "What they saw and what they talk about amongst themselves is fine, but everyone on the military side knows what disclosure outside of the ranks means. Bannon will deal with his people; you can speak with your... people. Now, I have to call the President because he's my people, so if you don't have any further questions...."

Joe shook his head and thanked the General. He left him to make his call.

The front yard was still a beehive, and Joe had no idea where to look for the Engineers to get the damn metal band off. He was tired just watching the activity, so he returned to the house and entered the back door to drop off his boots and jacket. He wandered into the house looking for someone, anyone.

He heard voices downstairs, so he walked down to the games room, where he found Director Bannon, Agent White, Safa, and the four surveillance people. Everyone went quiet as he entered the room, and Joe felt awkward. "Sorry, should I leave so you can finish talking about me?"

Bannon addressed that. "The team has concerns regarding what they should expect to see and do without being brought into the loop."

"That sounds fair," Joe replied. "I've never been a fan of keeping them in the dark."

"We also need to know the level of danger we'll be exposed to because of you. We understand you ran into the blast area and got within a hundred feet of that Hell! We aren't equipped to follow you there. We're surveillance experts. National Security Agents, not superheroes," Agent Salt growled.

"I'm not a superhero!" Joe barked back. "I didn't want any part of this situation or any of this attention! I just wanted to train to be a bodyguard for my sister. I want out of the damn spotlight!"

"Everything you've done has put you in the spotlight! I'm not trained for this kind of duty, and I respectfully request to be reassigned," Salt said, looking at Bannon. He wouldn't face Joe.

Joe's eyes instinctively snapped to black, and he saw the agent flinch and his body tremble. The man was terrified! Joe blinked his eyes back to normal and stepped back unconsciously in shock. The last thing he wanted was to have people afraid of him, especially those he considered friends. A wave of nausea washed over him. He'd never done anything to the man but treat him respectfully, yet the agent was terrified of him.

"Director Bannon, please grant him permission to leave. And to any of the others who feel the same way. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for getting you involved. I wish you the best in your future." With that, Joe turned, quickly went upstairs to his bedroom, and dropped onto the bed. He pulled his blanket over his head and wished with all his heart that none of this had ever happened.

Maybe an hour later, he heard a gentle knock on the door, and it opened.

"Joseph? Honey, are you okay?" said his Mom.

He spoke from under the blanket. "No, Mom. I don't think I'll ever be okay again."

He felt her sit on the edge of his bed and tug the sheet to expose his face. "What happened?" she asked.

"They're terrified of me... because of what I am or what I'm not. People I think of as friends! You can't believe how awful that makes me feel," he groaned.

"Who's terrified?" she asked.

"Agent Salt asked to be reassigned. I could see him twitch and tremble when he saw me. He was terrified, like he thought I was going to kill him."

"Did the others ask to be reassigned?" Clara asked.

"I don't know, maybe. I left so I wouldn't have to hear their fear," he mumbled.

"Joseph, you can't run from this. You need to confront it. Accept that some people won't be able to see the wonderful man behind the amazing things you can do. I'm not saying it will be easy. Some people are just frightened by the unknown. They may react poorly, but that's their issue, not yours." she chided him gently. "Just remember that you have people who love you and know you for who you really are."

Joe sat up and hugged his mom. They sat like that for a few minutes.

"Mom, why doesn't our phone work?" Joe said.

"The General disconnected it as he said it could be used to listen in on us. He said we could use a secure line in the communications trailer if we needed to call someone. You know they will want to listen in and ask all kinds of questions about who you are talking to. I called Amy to let her know we were all okay and the farm is still in one piece. The story about the rebels or radicals or whatever they're saying is all over the news. Doug and Melissa were worried as well. Amy said she tried calling your cell, but someone named Ramone answered. Do you know who that is?"

"Yeah, Officer Ramone of the LAPD. He was one of the officers I helped in that shootout. He picked up my phone and wants me to come get it personally so they can thank me."

"So not everyone is frightened of you?" she teased.

"They don't know what I am!" Joe said, exasperated.

"What do they need to know to know you?" Clara insisted, steel in her voice.

Joe looked at his mom and thought about that. "Who I am. Not what I am," he said quietly.

"See! I didn't raise a simple-headed boy," Clara teased and ruffled his hair.

Clara hugged her son a little longer. "Who did you want to call?" she asked.

"I need to get some new boots, so I was going to call Rene at St. Germain's. They usually have a stock of black work boots in my size. I also need a new jacket since mine burned up. It's too late to call now, so I'll call in the morning. I also need some new clothes, but I can wait until I return to LA. Speaking of LA, have you heard when we'll be able to go back?"

"No, I haven't heard. I'm hoping you stick around for a bit," she said with a grin. Joe's stomach took that moment to agree. They both chuckled. "Come downstairs, and I'll feed your noisy belly."

When the two entered the kitchen, Karl sat at the table with Bannon, Rachel, and Safa. They were all drinking coffee. "Anyone hungry?" Clara asked.

She got grins from everyone, so she and Joe began to prepare a quick meal. Joe made salads and warmed up some pita bread for some hummus his mom picked up in her grocery run. Joe had never had hummus before and snuck a bit on a piece of pita. Clara heated up some casseroles she'd prepared in advance of their visit. The woman loved to cook.

Soon, everyone was crowded around the kitchen table, digging into their meals. There was a knock on the door, and Karl went to answer it. General MacAvoy walked into the room with Karl, who grabbed an extra chair and found a place for it at the table. The General thanked him, and Clara passed him a plate. Seconds later, a forkful of casserole went into his mouth, and he went still with delight. "This is wonderful!"

Joe had finally worked up the nerve to ask Bannon a question. He leaned in to ask quietly. "Director Bannon, how many of the surveillance team are leaving."

Bannon looked at him and read the pain in his eyes. "Just the one. Agent... Max, did you call her? She recommended another agent who, as she put it, has the cojones to work with you. I know the agent she is talking about, and I think you two will get along very well. I can't wait to hear the nickname you'll make for him."

Joe's relief was immense. He still felt bad about the agent. "I don't blame Agent Salt for asking to be reassigned. I can't hold it against him. I'm very sorry it didn't work out, but I could tell he was very... unhappy, which wasn't really under his control. Please don't penalize him for this."

"That's very gracious of you, Joseph." Bannon simply said and returned to his meal, effectively closing the topic.

Joe ate with the others and enjoyed their friendly companionship. He started to feel a little less like an outsider. After they'd had their fill, Joe helped clean up and store the leftovers. Joe was by the sink washing the dishes when the General called out to him.

"Joseph, do you know two women named Rebecca Hunter and Taylor Simmons?"

"Yes, why?" he asked, puzzled that the General would know their names.

"They are at the end of your driveway insisting on seeing you. They heard from someone at the airport that you had returned home, and with all the news stories, they are making a nuisance of themselves, demanding access to you," the General growled.

"I used to date them both—I mean, I dated Rebecca, then Taylor... oh right, I did date them both that one time." Joe confused himself in his embarrassment. General MacAvoy looked at Joe in surprise.

Clara snorted.

"I'd like to go see them. I won't bring them back here. I'll take them dancing," Joe asked.

The General paused and thought about it. "If you go, I want you to bring one of our Soldiers with you,"

"Okay, but he'd better be single, not currently in a relationship, and know how to dance. You don't know Rebecca and Taylor," he grinned at the General's confused expression and dawning comprehension.

"I'll have Sergeant Armstrong meet you by the top of the driveway with a personnel carrier," the General stated.

Joe nodded and went upstairs to put on one of his tailored outfits. Somehow, he'd managed to keep these clothes from being destroyed. The soft grey shirt felt good, and the pants were snug and comfortable. He pulled a few condoms from his backpack and slid them into a pocket, just in case.

He dug into the back of this closet and pulled out his old black leather duster coat. It wasn't that warm, but it was the best he had for tonight. Slipping his dress shoes on, he went outside and found the vehicle parked where the General said it would be. He opened the passenger door and got in. He looked over at the driver and saw his Army insignia.

"Hi, Joe Neumann," He stuck his hand out.

The big man didn't hesitate to grip Joe's hand strongly in a handshake. "Sergeant Craig Armstrong. I understand I may have to dance tonight."

Joe grinned. "It's possible. I have no idea what the ladies have in mind, but they do like to dance."

"Let's not keep them waiting then," Craig said.

It only took a minute to drive down to the foot of the driveway, where a guard gate had been set up. Under the bright white lights, Joe saw the two women standing impatiently. They pulled up to the gate, and Joe got out. He waved at the guard and dipped under the gate only to have the two women jump into his arms and try to smother his face with kisses. He could see they were genuinely concerned for him, which warmed his heart.

"Did you ladies feel like going somewhere to talk? Maybe do a little dancing?" he asked with a smile. They both grinned wickedly. "My friend Craig is my escort for the evening, but I understand that the Sergeant knows his way around a dance floor." Rebecca and Taylor smiled at the man still behind the steering wheel. "Shall we all take a ride in the military personnel carrier?" Joe asked, and they nodded.

The guard raised the gate, and Craig brought the truck out to them. Joe opened the door, helped Taylor in behind Craig, and then walked Rebecca around the back to get to the other side. Halfway around, she grabbed his jacket and pulled him down for a quick kiss. She moaned as the surge splashed across her nerves. Joe pulled back and waved a finger at her with a grin. She smiled wickedly and bit her luscious red lower lip as aftershocks trembled through her body.

Once Joe and Rebecca were in, they were on their way toward town. The dance club in the BigGameZone entertainment complex became a fully licensed adult nightclub after dark. No kids allowed! Joe paid the door charge for the group, and they managed to find a booth near the back. Rebecca pushed Joe into one side of the booth and slid in next to him. Taylor did the same with Craig, whose grin indicated he didn't mind one bit. Joe made the official introductions, and then a young, raven-haired waitress with an impressive array of gothic-themed tattoos and multiple body piercings arrived to take their orders. Black seemed to be her favorite cosmetic color. She kept glancing at Joe while she took everyone's drink order. Joe thought there was something familiar about her. He watched her leave, feeling an inkling of recognition, but before it could blossom, Rebecca took his chin between her slim fingers and turned his face back to hers.

It also became apparent that Taylor had taken a real shine to the Sergeant, and he looked delighted with her as well. They headed out on the dance floor and were soon lost in the mass of bodies.

Rebecca slid closer on the bench to Joe.

"I've missed you, Joe. It's been too long!" the redhead purred at him. She was every bit as gorgeous as she'd been when they'd last dated. Long silky red locks, brilliant blue eyes, slim nose peppered delightfully with freckles, and lips and nails painted with her trademark crimson. Her body was tall and lusciously curved and fit against his so wonderfully as he was rediscovering right that very moment.

Joe knew Rebecca would take him right here at the table and likely get them both banned from the club for life, so he needed to distract her. He really wanted to dance, so he slid his hand down her back and pinned her roughly against his body. He kissed her hard, restraining the surge, and she trembled in his arms. He felt her surrender to his strength as she had the time she'd dragged him into the staff room at the bookstore where she worked. From that time, he knew she secretly craved a dominant partner. While she was swooning, he slid them both from the booth and stood with her, still trapped in his arms against his chest. Joe allowed her to slide down his body so she could stand on her feet. From her widening eyes, he knew she could feel the length of his hard bulge sliding against her. She was panting with need and staring into his eyes as she got her footing.

"First, we dance," Joe growled deeply, sliding his fingers through the thick hair on the back of her head. He took a grip, tilted her head back, and kissed her once again, giving her just the briefest touch of the surge. Her fingers splayed across his chest, and she squealed slightly into his kiss. He released her plump red lips from his kiss, and her eyes were glassy with lust. While it wasn't in his nature to be so aggressive, Joe enjoyed playing the dominant role for Rebecca because she seemed to need it and obviously enjoyed it, and if it made her happy, he was happy.

With a sexy grin, he turned to the dance floor to see their waitress standing in the way with her tray of drinks. The woman's face was red, her mouth was open, and her thin, tight white blouse didn't disguise her excitement... and piercings. "Was she watching us?" he thought, suddenly embarrassed. Joe froze as her eyes went down to his obvious sign of excitement. The tray began to wobble on her wrist, so Joe quickly reached out and stabilized it between his finger and thumb. When she couldn't tear her eyes away, and the tray was at risk of dropping, Joe finally took it from her and placed it on the table behind him.

Rebecca had waited long enough. She pulled Joe by his hand past the interfering waitress onto the dance floor. "Back off, Pam!" she growled territorially on her way by.

The name stuck in Joe's head, but he knew struggling to recall where he'd heard it would make it disappear. Asking Rebecca was out, so he just concentrated on dancing instead. It would come to him.

The beat was pounding, and Joe immediately felt it free his inhibitions. God, he needed this! He started to move with it, and he kept his eyes on Rebecca. She reveled in his attention, and her moves became increasingly suggestive, never overt but always teasingly sensual. Joe enjoyed the show, but seriously, he was more interested in dancing. He needed to burn off some tension, and while Rebecca was damn sexy, that's all she was to him. They really had no other connection, and she really didn't care. Even though she didn't, he still had lingering guilt for their mutual use of each other. It also didn't give him any real satisfaction. He tried to put that aside and let the music and motion distract his mind from all the crazy stuff he'd had to deal with in the past few days.

Joe felt himself being watched and glanced over to see it was his Soldier escort checking in. He nodded to the man, who grinned and nodded in return. It was probably the best duty he'd ever been assigned. Joe saw Taylor moving to the beat, in a world of her own, rubbing up against the big Sergeant and loving it. Craig obviously did, too. Joe felt himself smiling at how quickly they'd clicked. Taylor was the more reserved and level-headed of the two women he'd dated. For her to connect this early meant good things.

He looked back to Rebecca, who had sensed his inattention, slipped right up against his body, and was grinding his pelvis with her own as they swayed to the beat. That felt wonderful, and her eyes closed with the sensation.

He still felt like he was being watched, so he glanced around again. Blue eyes framed by long, glossy black hair locked on his from beside the bar. Blue eyes. Straight, raven hair. Pam. Little Pam. Elizabeth's younger sister! The first girl he'd asked out and had gone to prom with, the first girl who'd captured his heart, the first girl whose heart he'd broken, the first girl to break his heart in return. It all came rushing back as he looked into blue eyes so much like her sister's. He was reminded of what he'd been missing for all these years. What he was missing tonight.

The recollection broke Joe's connection to the music, and Rebecca noticed immediately. She looked up and saw the lost look on Joe's face. She saw her night of raw ecstasy slipping away, which pissed her off. She followed Joe's gaze and saw Pam standing in the shadows by the bar. She immediately stalked directly toward the little bitch. Pam noticed her coming and tried to find an escape route, but the crowd by the bar was too heavy. She looked up in fear as Rebecca stopped directly in front of her.

"Did you not hear my earlier warning bitch!" she said and pushed Pam hard against the wall. "I said keep your eyes off my man!" She reached back to give her a slap, but her hand was locked in place as Joe grabbed her wrist.

"What the hell are you doing?" Joe barked.

Rebecca's eyes flared as she spun to face Joe. "You're mine tonight! This bitch needs to learn that!" Her dominant side was back in full swing.

Joe's eyes flickered to black and back instantly as he throttled his rage, and he instinctively let go of her wrist.

Once, he might have been intimidated by her aggressive sexuality. But he wasn't that person anymore; tonight, he'd reached his limit. Their use of each other was over. He hadn't seen this side of Rebecca, and what little desire he had for her snuffed out in an instant. She saw it in his eyes, and her face fell.

"No, Joe, please. Please, you can't do this. Not over her!" Rebecca said desperately.

"This has nothing to do with her. It's just taken me this long to finally acknowledge that what we have isn't good for either of us."

"Isn't good?!? It's the best fucking thing this shithole of a town has to offer!" Rebecca raged. Joe stepped back as if he'd been slapped, his expression frozen.

"Please, Joe! I need this!" Rebecca lunged and grabbed his shirt, pressing herself against his body. She was still beautiful and desirable, but Joe felt guilty that he'd allowed this to go on as long as it had.

"No. It's over. I'm sorry." Joe felt deeply ashamed of himself. He'd been so desperate for a human connection that he'd let that override his judgment.

1...2526272829...31