War of the Races Ch. 34

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bartlett broke through my train of thought when he walked up. The bos-taurine was a mountain of an animal, standing nearly twice my height. He was a hard person to miss or ignore.

"My lord, Viridian," He said in a quiet rumble. Quiet for him at least. No matter how he tried mute his volume, his deep rumbling voice only managed to sound like a huge bos-taurine-sized bee buzzing through the woods, "With the Oracles' aid, the refugees are finally in good enough health to travel. We are ready to depart on your command."

I shared a look with Sinaan, and he gave a confirming nod. They were ready as well.

"Give the order then," I replied to Bartlett.

He nodded and walked away.

We weren't marching more than an hour before Istas, Svartsilki, and Gloa returned from scouting to report that there was a group of orcs ahead. We continued with caution. We met in a small glade.

"We will allow you to mediate," Sinaan said in response to Matron Forelain's finger-wagging sign language.

Glenna nodded and looked at me.

"Bartlett," I said, "You and Maha approach and introduce our group as refugees fleeing the area due to the army of the dead."

"Yes, my lord," He answered before taking his leave and returning to Maha.

The war orcish party appeared to be the same as us, not a war party at all but a group of refugees. I guesstimated their number at two hundred souls. Most of them are old or very young with a sprinkling of young mothers and slightly older widows, and all of them with child or children.

They were all frightened.

Bartlett did as commanded and introduced our group and stated our purpose. He was loud enough that we all heard that much. Then, Bartlett turned and led the two speakers for the orcish band back toward us.

The oldest of the orcish band approached. A male and a female. They were both hunched and frail with age but they still held themselves with dignity as they approached.

"I am Elder Poeal," The old male said, then gestured to his female companion, "And this is Elder Yawel."

They both gave respectful bows and then stood and waited. Stepping forward, I looked at both Elders, turned, and looked at Matron Forelain Faline, then Sinaan Abendroth. I turned and looked at Glenna, Hlina, and Huxian, who was now a walking window into the star-filled void of space. Then I turned back to Elder Poeal and Yawel and returned their bows of respect.

"Greetings, Elder Poeal, Elder Yawel," I said, "My name is Viridian Vale a Druid of Annwyn, and heir of the lordship of Valeheim of the Valelands a member of the Aligned Lordships of Annwyn."

"Greetings, Druidlord," Poeal replied with a knowing grin.

I straightened up and searched Elder Poeal's expression then looked from him to Elder Yawel.

"Now, what can we do for you," I asked.

"Your—animal, Bartlett, explained your purpose here," Elder Yawel answered.

Elder Poeal cleared his throat and shot Elder Yawel chastising glare, then continued where Elder Yawel left off, "Yes—Druidlord, if there truly is a place of sanctuary that you are offering to us wild animals where we will no longer be hunted and enslaved, well then, we want to join your party!"

I gave a curt nod, but what I said was, "Very well then, fall in behind the she-wolves."

Elder Poeal and Yawel sighed in relief and shuffled back to their people to relay the news.

Bartlett led our procession wide of Moonlight Burrow, not that it mattered, almost every warrior and villager stood in a large square formation led by the mayor Gregr Honeywell, councilwoman Frnae Damboulder, and Mildred Goldtail. Beside them, tapping her foot impatiently, stood Coella. She smiled in relief upon our arrival while Gregr took a step forward and said, "We have come to join the cause!"

"Thank you, Mayor Honeywell. Councilwoman Damboulder, Goldentail. I am very grateful for your help," I said with a nod to each of them.

It truly appeared as if the entire village had turned out for this refugee migration. There must have been close to eight hundred souls including children. They were in formation, but their lines were by family with matriarchs and patriarchs in the lead followed by aunts, uncles, fathers, and mothers. Young couples were next, and the children brought up the rear with the nursing mothers as caretakers. Every adult wore, or wielded, a weapon of some kind, from forge hammers to scythes to pitchforks to woodsman's axe to sharpened shovels and hoes. The females carried iron skillets and butchering knives in their hands while the rest of their kitchen armory was sheathed at their waists in belts and aprons.

"Mayor Gregr," I said after my examination of his people, "I have some people for you and your village council to meet."

Gregr nodded and he and the Council followed me as I led them to meet Elder Poeal and Yawel, then we went to find the Foremothers of the she-wolves. As we gathered, Bartlett and Maha went to their home and butchery and retrieved every iron skillet, cudgel, axe, knife—everything!—and brought it back to camp. Bartlett also emptied his stores of every carcass while Maha emptied her pantry. Upon seeing the food and recognizing the need a group was sent back to load carts with all the foodstuffs in every home's private stores.

It was during this time that Tampa and Orsa caught up with us accompanied by five hundred bear warriors and shaman healers.

——(!)——

"Mayor Gregr, Elder Poeal, Foremother Tenaya," I began after introductions were made, "As leaders of your respective tribes I felt it important for you to meet each other. My hope is that you will work closely with each other in building a new home once you reach Sequoia's Grove. In the meantime, as your tribe's respective leaders, I need you to share resources. Food and weapons primarily for the time being. I want every person capable of using a weapon to be armed with something."

"There are not many of us left," Tanaya said, voicing her concern while a few of her accompanying party nodded, "Are you expecting us to fight your war for you?"

"No," I replied.

I had expected the question, but not from the she-wolves.

"No," I said again, then added, "However, I expect you to be able to defend yourselves should the need arise."

"Very well," Tanaya replied in audible relief.

"The reason I brought you together is because I will not be accompanying you to Sequoia's Grove," I said as I gave them all searching looks, when I was satisfied with what I saw I continued, "The Oracle of Seline and I will be going to stop this Svartalf army. Bartlett, with your aid, will lead you to Sequoia's Grove."

"But," Gregr stammered, "Bartlett had no idea where this place is, he has lived in Moonlight Burrow for decades!"

"Yes," I agreed, "and yet, you have maps. I will show him, and you, where Sequoia's Grove is located. Your job is to keep your people calm, organized, and moving, Bartlett's job will be to lead you there safely."

"I see," Elder Poeal mumbled as he nodded his head, "This thing you ask is not that hard then, as long as we are not expected to fight black alfari."

"No fighting," I agreed.

"Well then," Gregr said, "We had better be about our business then."

I nodded, and the impromptu meeting was adjourned. The maps I spoke of to Gregr were retrieved and we met again so that I could mark off the location of Sequoia's Grove. In addition, I marked the locations of Valeheim and the surrounding Kottrheims and planned a probable route.

——(!)——

The sun was setting behind the Dragon's Spine Mountains by the time we reached the road that led to Olympia in one direction or to Valeheim in the other. On the road waiting to meet us stood Leandra, Bastet, and Burza.

My surprise was absolute at seeing them. Bastet ran up to greet me though Leandra and Burza retained their dignity by walking. Kisses were exchanged, and then I had the weighty task of making introductions between my wives and concubines. Amidst it all, I noticed that around Burza's neck hung the medallion of leadership as Mother of her flock. Up above, in the sky, circled her daughters. What that meant I wasn't sure, but I imagined it was going to change things between us.

——(!)——

The campsite quietly lined the road, everyone knew what was headed our way. The refugees would leave early in the morning. As for the rest of us, we seemed like a very small rock indeed set in place to stop a flood.