War of the Races Ch. 36

Story Info
Considerations for War.
7.5k words
4.78
4k
18
6

Part 41 of the 43 part series

Updated 07/27/2023
Created 12/17/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Pinkender
Pinkender
1,179 Followers

Chapter 36- Considerations for War

Four days passed from Hayden, Gunngrul, and Rweble's leading House Faline into rebellion and desertion. It was also four days since Sinaan's disappearance. Aalyn knew he was a competent assassin and scout. She had no fear whatsoever that he could track the army, especially an army this large, and catch up by now if he were still alive.

When last she saw him he was going on a mission to shadow Hayden, Gunngrul, and Rweble. Then, in the predawn hours of the next morning, Hayden had appeared with his private guard and assaulted her, Thurdain, and Illglan with the intention of killing them afterward. Gunngrul and Rweble were still missing. No doubt one or both were still leading the rebel Faline troops. Most devastating of all was that there was no sign of Sinaan. They must have discovered him and he was most certainly dead.

Aalyn wiped tears from her cheeks. It still felt weird to touch the eyepatch where her left eye used to be. Healing was powerful magic indeed. It could repair almost any injury, but it couldn't replace what was missing.

She fought hard to stave off the depression, guilt, and grief she was feeling. So much had been taken from her and her sisters as of late. She would make House Faline pay dearly for Sinaan's death and their injuries, and then she would submit herself to her mother's punishment. She had promised her life for Sinaan's if she didn't bring him home and, indeed, she would pay that debt.

She wiped her tears away and tried to focus on more important matters. There was one more day before they were out of the mountain pass. The fog was following them now like a great gray cloak covering the land in their wake. It matched her mood perfectly.

Once out of the mountains, her army would sweep over Valeheim and the Valelands like a dark cloud. She would kill all those that fought against her and take as slaves everyone and everything. There would be much glory and great booty to claim. So, she wondered, why wasn't she more excited about it?

"Really," She mumbled quietly to herself, "Of what gain is any of this to me?"

It didn't matter now. Thurdain and Illglan were irreparably injured, and Sinaan was most probably dead. House Faline rebelled and deserted. Even if she took all of the Valelands captive, could it really replace what she had lost? Would it really make up for her failure?

Whatever trophies, accolades, or honors she achieved, they just didn't matter anymore. Her sisters were horribly disabled, she was injured, and her brother was dead. She would return home in failure and die for her sins. She would kneel before her mother and perform Skamidaudr. Death by disgrace and shame. Then, her mother would behead her.

Thurdain and Illglan sat a few feet away. The both of them had taken to residing with Aalyn these past few days. They had already paid a very heavy price in service to this campaign, and the real battle hadn't even taken place yet. They signed back and forth now as their only means of communication. They were mutes now, their tongues having been removed by Hayden's guards. They were the two most powerful priestesses in the camp. A fact clearly illustrated by Thurdain's position as the sole leader of nine-hundred and ninety-nine priestesses of Arachne, and Illglan was one of her lieutenants. But now, they were little more than common wenches.

They were still priestesses. That much could not be taken from them. However, without the ability to call on their goddess in holy rites and rituals, or cast spells, it was impossible for them to heal, give blessings, or go into battle. The result was that their authority amongst their peers was all but gone. Aalyn didn't know much about the Temple's politics and hierarchies. They liked to cloak themselves in mystery far too much for her taste. However, she did discern some facts about their hierarchy from Thurdain and Illglan's conversations in the days following their assault by Hayden. Still, she had to take what she heard and orient it with what she already knew of military structure. As far as she could tell the priestesses' camp was organized thusly:

Thurdain was, for all intents and purposes, the commander of a battalion of priestesses. Ogrethanne and Illglan were her immediate lieutenants. Illglan oversaw a company of five-hundred Disciples. The less experienced in need of the most governance. The company of priestesses Ogrethanne was in charge of numbered three-hundred and forty-seven Disciples of the more experienced temple prostitutes, and one-hundred Initiates. Those who were virgins until the army was conscripted and deployed.

Within Ogrethanne's ranks of Disciples, the five most senior about to take their final vows to Arachne were put in charge of the Initiates. This year, those five were Wrathielle Dokkskirn, Gruda Opallain, Aloufina Shouldnelle, Ashrilyn Glamrung, and Nidanth Vischra. The Initiates were then split into platoons of twenty. At least, that was their formation before House Faline's rebellion and desertion.

With great reluctance, Thurdain promoted Ogrethanne Annolstad, the only remaining Priestess in Aalyn's army, to commander instead of risking assassination or challenge. Orgrethanne accepted with malicious glee, and then unceremoniously stripped Thurdain, Illglan, and Aloufina of their authority.

Of a thousand priestesses four-hundred and fifty-six were abducted leaving only five-hundred and forty-four, and Ogrethanne let Thurdain know in no uncertain terms that if she were to have her wish Thurdain and Illglan would have been birched, drawn, and quartered, and their heads put upon pikes as a warning against such treasonous failure. So, here they were, Thurdain and Illglan, hunkering down and looking thoroughly miserable in her tent.

With only five-hundred and forty-one priestesses remaining, only a little more than half the company of Disciples and Initiates she was commanding previously, Ogrethanne wasted no time in replacing missing or incapacitated members. Of the five senior Disciples put in charge of the Initiates only Wrathielle and Aloufina remained. But with Aloufina remanded to Thurdain and Illglan's custody for her part in Hayden's treasonous assault upon House Abendroth, it left only Wrathielle to be promptly promoted to Priestess.

Gruda Opallain was kidnapped along with all twenty of her Initiates while performing services as temple prostitutes. Ashrilyn Glamrung was also among those prostituting along with sixteen of her Initiates. And Nidanth Vischra just happened to be out among the craftsmen consorting with a young male blacksmith when House Faline soldiers raided their camp for supplies, animals, and desirable young men and women.

Therefore, Ogrethanne assigned Malignathiel Wrathlust to oversee Wrathielle's twenty Initiates. Urethane Coldeath was assigned to Aloufina's Initiates. No one was needed to fill Gruda's role since all of her Initiates were missing. And Augustana Sliverstand was put over Ashrilyn's four remaining Initiates and Nidanth's twenty. Then, Ogrethanne promoted Palanthis Labrianth to Priestess and divided supervising the Disciples and Initiates between her and Wrathielle.

Thankfully, the army didn't need to make nearly as many field promotions to make up for Hayden, Gunngrul, and Rweble's deaths or disappearances. They hadn't even engaged with the enemy and already this mission was a cluster fuck!

Aalyn smiled at the thought of the new curse word she'd learned from Sinaan. She smiled and then almost immediately she was hit with remorse again over his loss. She missed his presence in her bed, but more than that she just missed him!

Casting a haunted glance back at her sisters, Aalyn left her tent to walk the camp. It was time for her to do her usual patrol and make sure everything was in order. The fog had rolled over them in the last hour and it laid heavily upon the land cutting her already halved vision in half again. It irritated her, this fog, it made her nervous, and worst of all it was affecting her troops--and House Faline's rebellion and desertion hadn't helped.

The sentries walking the parameter stared out at the fog with a mix of anger, suspicion, and fear. Some of them thought that the ghosts in the fog had made House Faline go crazy. Others thought the ghosts possessed them, and still others feared that House Faline soldiers would return and attack as wraiths.

Aalyn made sure to look every one of her soldiers in the eyes and saluted them in hopes of transferring some of her resolve to them. If they saw she was unaffected by the gloomy atmosphere, then just maybe it would reassure and reinforce their confidence and resolve. Before she knew it she was standing at the eastern edge of camp staring defiantly into the gloom toward their target. She couldn't see it of course. Valeheim of the Valelands. It was still miles away. But, her troops saw her and her composer, and that was all she needed right now. Those rebel villralfar in the valley below would get their judgment soon enough!

She stood there for a long time squinting her eye straining her diminished vision in hopes of piercing the gray veil surrounding her camp. Whether it be coincidence or something else, right at that moment a slightly darker gray smudge shifted in the fog. It moved down the road toward the camp, towards Aalyn.

The figure darkened as it drew closer and coalesced into the silhouette of a male. He moved slowly, purposefully, toward her. She shifted her stance, resting her weight on her toes, and placed her hand on the pommel of her sword. Her guards came to attention and raised small handheld crossbows.

"Who goes there?" The guard to her right yelled.

The shadow didn't answer but instead continued to close the distance between himself and Aalyn.

"Identify yourself," The guard to Aalyn's left demanded as he raised his crossbow and took careful aim, "Now! Or, we'll open fire!"

The male came to a stop only fifty feet from Aalyn before reaching up and pushing the hood of his cloak back off of his head. Despite the gloomy gray fog around her Aalyn's eye opened wide in shock and her mouth fell open upon seeing her brother.

"Sinaan!" She gasped in a near-hysterical shriek and then laughed as she charged forward. The soldiers, not sure what to make of their leader's reaction, slowly lowered their weapons but still stood at alert attention, just in case it was a trap.

----(!)----

When Sinaan awoke the next morning Ra'Shaal and Fjallindae were both performing a prenatal exam on Forelain and giving quiet counsel on the babies' health and imminent arrival.

"You are progressing well," Fjallindae said in a whisper, "All of this walking has been good for you. I estimate you're a little over six months along, and the babes are healthy."

Ra'Shaal nodded in agreement before adding, "Even after we return to Idavollr I recommend long walks and an active sex life."

Forelain signed back at them, and then the three began dressing in their robes. Sinaan waited until they were done with their exchange and then he rose and dressed.

"You are going to meet with Lord Viridian?" Forelain asked as she took time from her preparations to speak with him.

"I am," He replied.

"Good," She signed, "May Arachne bless us this day."

Sinaan nodded and flashed his best grin as he pulled up his britches. She was admiring him and he purposely slowed his progress. Her eyes seemed to twinkle once she realized what he was doing.

Smirking, she flashed her hands in a quick command, "Go, quickly, before I decide to detain you!"

Sinaan threw a grin at her and then left.

He found Lord Viridian with his two beautiful women, the Oracles, Glenna, and Hlina, along with the Harpy Queen Burza. Two of her daughters approached the Queen and whispered in her ear. Their speech was always so musical, but as Sinaan approached they fell silent.

Viridian turned and took note of Sinaan's arrival before turning and commanding, "Proceed."

Arden and Saar nodded, as the oldest of Burza's daughters it was their honor to give the scouting report. Arden gave a quick glance toward Sinaan then continued, "As I was saying, my sisters and I found them. They are marching with the fog. Smart move I say, masking their numbers within the mist. They manage to get ahead of it now as the air currents are carrying the fog south primarily. At this moment they sit less than half a day's march from our position due west."

"They have scouts," Sinaan added once Arden fell silent, "No doubt they know we are here as well."

Viridian gave Sinnan an appreciative nod as he replied, "I thought as much, but it is good to have it confirmed."

Sinaan fell silent then and watched. This Viridian Vale seemed very familiar somehow. He had his suspicions about Viridian's origins, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. One thing he knew was that the villralfar was too unique of an individual to be normal, just like Sulabha. Her class as a Necromancer was so overpowered that it seemed to break all the rules of common sense--maybe the universe. Viridian Vale was a creature of those same overpowered impossibilities, but where Sulabha's power seemed to originate from death and decay, Viridian's seemed to blossom from life itself.

Either way, Sinaan found that he liked the guy. Viridian Vale had good instincts when it came to being a leader, he was charismatic, had a natural sense of justice, and listened to his councilors. He also explained his decisions so that those councilors' advice he didn't take understood his reasoning, and he was firm, once he came to a decision that was it.

"Good job Arden, Saar, thank you so much," Viridian said once their report was completed, then asked, "Who's out scouting now?"

"Sora and Arn," Saar replied this time, it was her first chance to speak.

"Good," Viridian replied, "Then let's keep the scouting rotation as it is for now unless there is anything else I need to know?"

"No, husband," Arden replied in a very warm purr.

Viridian returned her grin, but also said, "Is that everything then? Does anyone else have anything to add?"

"I do," Sinaan said, speaking up now that everyone had fallen silent.

"Yes, Lord Sinaan," Viridian said, acknowledging him, "Proceed."

"It is my Matron's recommendation, given the recent developments and hostilities between House Abendroth and House Faline, that we should approach her in stages," Sinaan said in as honest and persuasive a tone as he could.

"Was this rebellion really so bad," Viridian asked?

Sinaan nodded solemnly as he replied, "Yes, it was. An attack on my sisters and my mother. An attack on our soldiers, and when House Faline deserted they attacked several other houses and kidnapped hundreds of priestesses, many of which were nobly born. If this is not handled very carefully House Faline and House Abendroth could find themselves at odds with every House in Idavollr."

Viridian only nodded. He knew that House Faline was aligned with House Abendroth in order to quell the animosity between them. That was why Sinaan, though only eighteen, was now married to Matron Forelain Faline. Still, he took his time and thought over the problem carefully before asking, "Tell me your plan. How would this work? If you run ahead of us you could betray us easily. What assurances do we have that you will speak on our behalf and not give away our strength?"

Sinaan just smirked and shrugged his shoulders as he admitted, "There is no assurance I could give you that would quell your suspicions. The fact is I could betray you, and I would be lauded by my people as a true patriot for doing so."

As he spoke he could see Viridian's hackles rise and his emerald green eyes flash with anger, but he kept his temper because, in the end, he knew that everything Sinaan was saying was just the simple truth.

"However," Sinaan continued, "Matron Forelain has convinced me that we must not go to war with you. If for no other reason than that, our goddess's Oracle is missing. The result might mean we've lost Arachne's favor, and you obviously have the favor of at least two goddesses that we do not want to anger."

Viridian looked at Sinaan for a long while. They were of an age, maybe even the same age. Viridian appeared to be searching Sinaan's expression and his eyes for--something--truth maybe.

"Fine," Viridian finally said, "But, I think I should accompany you."

Sinaan felt his spine and scalp tingling in alarm. His eyes opened wide with surprise and cold fury welled up in his chest, but he wrestled it all down and mastered himself just as his mother and sisters had taught him. Fear. Rage. Indignation. Those led to mistakes and then death. If he wanted to survive he must be calm and reason out his choices before making a decision, not let his feelings lead him to ruin.

"My lord," Sinaan began to protest.

"I advise against this, husband," Glenna said immediately.

"Daniel, no!" Hlina gasped.

Viridian turned on Hlina then and pinned her with a stare that could have flayed skin from muscle, and Hlina shrunk back in surprise and embarrassment.

"I will be using Prowl," Viridian explained, but his tone had a hint of defense in it, "They won't even know I'm there."

"What if they were to somehow discover you," Glenna asked as she crossed all four of her arms over her spectacular breasts while her tail whipped back and forth in agitation.

Sinaan quieted and let Viridian's own women handle him. After all, he was more likely to listen to them than him anyway, and this way he wouldn't seem suspicious. But, he kept his eyes on Hlina. The young dokkalfar. She must be eighteen. His age. Viridian's age. Sulabha's age. She had called Viridian--Daniel.

Could it be that Hlina was like him and Sulabha? From a different earth? Could they both be? And if so, who were they?

There were ten alpha testers, and he knew all of them. They had all known each other, and one of them was Daniel Raes. That explained Viridian, but who was Hlina?

"Virdy, no," Hlina said again, this time using the right name, "What if you are killed? I--I can't lose you again!"

Again? Sinaan smirked inwardly as he averted his gaze from Hlina just as Viridian cut his eyes toward him.

Viridian heaved a mighty sigh then said, "Fine! I will remain here. We will make preparations and fortify while Sinaan starts introducing the idea of parlay to the commander of the approaching army."

Sinaan nodded, then began to fully explain the plan, "Matron Forelain proposes a three-step introduction. I will go first. As Aalyn's brother, she will be relieved by my safe return. I will then report what has happened within House Faline and our alliance. Then, Matron Forelain will approach the camp and with her authority as one of the Matrons of Idavollr, and a priestess, she will begin advocating on your behalf. Finally, if everything goes well, Matron Forelain and I will return on behalf of General Aalyn with terms for parlay. If not, then you should be prepared for an attack."

Viridian nodded, but he looked grim.

"I will set out now," Sinaan said.

"Are you sure you do not wish for additional support," Viridian asked.

Sinaan shook his head no, "It would only complicate matters. It is better if I approach my sisters alone."

Viridian nodded again, and Sinaan took it as a dismissal.

----(!)----

Aalyn usually tried to be more reserved with her feelings, especially while in front of her troops, but her relief was too great to hold back her hug or the tears as she peppered Sinaan's cheek and mouth with kisses.

"Oh! By the goddess's grace, Sinaan, you are alive," Aalyn chortled happily.

"Barely," Sinaan replied, his voice thick with humor and sarcasm. He noticed the eyepatch over her left eye and brushed his fingers across her cheek as he traced the scar that disappeared beneath the eyepatch before reappearing above it, ripping through her eyebrow, and arcing over her nose to slice across her forehead all the way to her hairline, "Please, tell me, sister, how are my sisters' health?"

Pinkender
Pinkender
1,179 Followers