All Comments on 'War without End'

by OldHistoryGuy

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
des911des9115 months ago

Very good for your first story. Nicely and gently done. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Fantastic. Loved the storyline, loved the way it was told. Thank you.

stewartbstewartb5 months ago

Enjoyed the read ... liked how you handled the ending ... or was that the beginning?

uk_writer_53uk_writer_535 months ago

First story of many to come I hope. Well written. I loved the ending.

Smiffy69Smiffy695 months ago

Good story. How about a follow-up?

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy5 months ago

Good first story!

5

WantingToWriteGoodWantingToWriteGood5 months ago

A wonderful story. Your research on America immediately after World War II seems spot on. My only surprise was the station being open on a Sunday but that might my blurred recollections of growing up in Southwest Oklahoma in the 1960s. May you feel inspired to write many more.

KaiHavertz_29KaiHavertz_295 months ago

The only problem with this story OldHistoryGuy is...now you're going to have to write a better one and THAT will be no mean feat. You captured the mood of post-WWII so very very well and expertly crafted Jim Muphy. I was instantly reminded of the Dana Andrews/Myrna Loy/Frederick March film "The Best Years of our Lives". Well done and thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Very well done! Gotta love the Marines!

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc5 months ago

Would have liked one more page, but the first three brought tears to my eyes. That said, I struggle with the premise that an only son would delay in returning home from war with a mother and sisters left alone on the family farm. (Yes, you threw some sentences in there about, but didn't work for me.) Otherwise, spot on! 4.6*

PurplefizzPurplefizz5 months ago

Good story! There’s a feel to the way the word flow that feels very “of the period”, that along with the details of the places, people and behaviour enhances the atmosphere you’ve created and gives it the ring of authenticity.

Demosthenes has a point re delaying his return, it would have been out of character for someone with Jim’s personality (you made him a Sergeant), especially considering the time period you’ve set it in. If I have a criticism it’s that I feel it needs the HEA of them being together and Jim holding their first child, can you imagine 1947’s “Miracle on 34th Street” without the Judge ruling in favour of Kris Kringle? It was a time of optimism, a story of the era should be optimistic and give the readers the same HEA that was normal for the period surely?

Many thanks for writing and posting this story, cheers, Ppfzz. 4⭐️

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Nicely done. Please write a sequel.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

A good start, good story telling.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

i'm new 2 this site 1st time ive come across a 1st time story(assuming u not used another name b4) v pleased n grateful 2 hav stumbled across u n ur tale thoroughly enjoyed taken into narrative will keep an eye out 4 sequels or others especially impressed u didnt use foul language means a lot 4 me at any rate im sincerely wishing 4 more of ur creative talent

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I posted a comment a few minutes ago b4 reading all the other comments it was only then i took in the title again very interesting n piques a lot of interest hopefully in sequels

mildcolonialboymildcolonialboy5 months ago

Nice story. Captures the time and place very well. 5 stars.

Two comments on the comments - the delay in returning home, there were and are people not prepared to let family and loved ones see them in their injured or disabled condition, This is I think realistic.

I don’t think the story needs a second part. They are together, them getting together is the point of the story. We can imagine the rest,

.🤩

inka2222inka22224 months ago

A very good story, thank you. As others said, well written and caputures both the feel of the time, and the psychology pretty well, on top of being a meaningful romance with people you root for (unlike your average shallow LE characters). Thank you so much and looking forward to more of your work. 5 stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous