Warmth of a Mid Autumn Night Ch. 23-32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That sounds tasty."

"Pearl onions, Brussel sprouts with Chestnuts and lardon is full of texture, Sir."

"Indeed it is. All these dishes look wonderful. Now to let me find out if it will pass the taste test. If it does then Nigel will be putting these recipes on the next edition."

"For dessert, we will have a drunken pear clafoutis with a side of caramel rum sauce. I have ordered the pear brandy that you have requested. It will compliment this dish very well."

"How nice it would be to start the meal with dessert. But that will spoil my meal. I believe that you will be making every recipe on the list, Humbly?"

"Yes, Sir. It is always interesting to try new recipes."

It would be nicer if Gracie was here to enjoy this wonderful dinner with me. I wonder if I should find Natalie and ask her what Gracie likes and dislikes.

"Humbly, do you think that I should take Gracie on a trip alone or with a group before proposing to her?"

"It depends what you are hoping to accomplish, Sir. I would think it is better to propose to her some where during the trip while you have the chance to find the best place to propose."

"The idea is that I do not want her to suspect the proposal. If we go alone then she may suspect. If we go in a group, we may not necessarily be in an ideal setting. I want it to be such a surprise that even the group would not expect it."

"Do you suppose that it would be more of a surprise if you and Mr. Humbertwald went first or in a group and let her group go else where with both agreeing to meet some where in the middle?""

"You mean my group can go to Bavaria for example, her group go to France and then meet in Paris or Toledo at a later time?"

"Yes, Sir. It would allow anyone who wants to go to a specific city the freedom to without being restrained from what the group wants as a whole. It would give more space for those who can not go on specific dates.

One group can go to Toledo for the first week of March for example. The second group goes a week later to Bavaria maybe. Then everyone meets in Paris for the third week if that is where you want to propose to Miss Highbrighton."

"I will discuss that with a few friends. It sounds good to me so far. Nobody would suspect what I have planned and it gives me time to set up the ideal place in advance. We should discuss this at our next party. Make sure that Kevin, Stephen and Josephine attend the party, Humbly."

"Yes, Sir."

I need to call Frederick and set up plans long in advance. The key is to find the ideal place to propose to Gracie. I am a bit torn between Paris and Côte d'Azur. She has mentioned that she did not spend enough time in Paris to get an idea of the place. If we go to Côte d'Azur then we might as well stop by Monaco then head to Genoa or Milan. Maybe I should leave it up to majority vote. If more are in favor of Paris than Monaco then it will be Paris. It would probably depend on how much time everyone has to travel.

The long talk we had gave me an idea of how open-minded she is, but I still feel there is something I am unaware about. It would help if I can have one of her lady friends be part of my group. I really would like Natalie to be part of my group even though I think she would most likely go where ever Gracie prefers to be. What I should do is have everyone write down four places they would like to go in the Spring and then write it all down on a board to see how the group divides and figure it out from there.

She seems secure enough with where she stands now, but that may not be the case later on. Anything can have either one of us feel out of place, less confident or less capable in some form of way or another. We may be healthy now, but what if one of us suffers a serious illness or accident in the future?

I do not want to end up similar to that old couple yelling at one another in a hotel room. Nobody is ever that prepared for a long term, health set back. It does not matter if there are doctors and professionals for everything to help the individual. Some where along the way, there will be a mental break down. There will be a feeling of loss or being less able to do certain tasks. Then vulnerability sets in. All it takes is one set back and the whole home becomes less than sweet.

She did say that she is willing to compromise to make our relationship work out, but sometimes when people are married, the idea of compromising does not really come to mind. It becomes more of a chore or a territorial dispute of who does what. One day we could be enjoying our time together and the next day, we could be sleeping in separate rooms. The communication can not be at its best if that happens too often.

We did agree on the idea of letting our close friends stay with us when they are visiting if we become a married couple. Frederick will be welcome to stay at my manor as he usually does and her friend Natalie can stay as a guest too. About anyone we see as a good friend can stay on my estate unless it is too crowded then some will have to go over to her place.

She plans on having her place be turned into a private bed and breakfast for guests with reservations. It will be another side business. This way, she can review her guests before allowing them to stay at her place. They will be guaranteed everything is in order when they do arrive. There would not be too much business that she would keep her from being able to stay at her own home. Neither does she want to keep Aveline, Collin and the stable boy too busy.

The only twist to the friends staying over at my manor is that we are allowed to attend to our friends during bed time. If for any reason we feel a need to spend time with the friend than be in our own room together then we can. What goes on between friends is not meant to hurt our marriage. For us, it means a good trust and understanding to allow that. It allows us to continue the same type of relationship we have with our friends. The marriage would not change that. It may sound unusual to many, but this is our own mutual agreement.

The idea is that if we are to have any intimate relations with anyone, neither of us would mind if it is under the same roof that we share. It should not be a threat to either one of us when we decide to spend more time with a friend that is visiting from out of town. If we stay else where with someone then that would be more of a threat. Then what we are doing is more secretive.

We have figured a way around feeling insecure or having possible affairs. As long as the other party is under the same roof then we do not mind. A quick introduction is all we need to show that we have nothing to hide. This takes away the air of mystery and neither one of us would feel threatened when we could all meet and have a drink together. It is not a set up that works for everyone, but we are not them. This is custom designed for us and that is all that matters. We are not trying to fit into an everyday, conventional, typical and predictable marriage. It is about what works best for us and who we are around. Nobody outside of the estate has to know what we do in private with our own guests. It is none of their business and we do not need their approval of how we want to live our own lives.

We do not expect to have that many different people to stay with us. Most likely it will be the same friends which is good. It shows how much we value the unique relationship we have with one another and with those people that affect our lives. Neither our good friends or us should be deprived of spending more time together when they visit due to the fact that we are married. We have agreed that much of our lives will stay the same. The main difference would be her moving into my place, sharing more time together and be able to sleep in one another's arms.

We could go with a more old-fashioned set up, but it does not fit us. All we would be doing is drawing too many lines and end up worrying about staying within them which can cause more tension and stress. This in turn can lead to what we fear would happen. To counter act that, we have decided to do this to prevent the unthinkable scenario by allowing some of those scenarios to happen under the same roof with certain conditions. I know Humbly will look forward to the extra help in the Spring and Summer seasons. We hire a gardener and stable boy every year to help around the estate. I will call the agency to send us the same ones we had last year to be available next year. It helps to have the same ones working on the estate.

It is always difficult to figure out a good gift for Humbly during the holiday season. I could not send him away on a trip without someone else around here to take over his duties. Sooner or later, I need to find someone he could train to take over some of his duties to help him out. He would be thrilled if I hire him an assistant. Maybe that is what I will give him in a few more years.

As for now, I probably should stick to the kitchen appliances. Get him the latest hand mixer, blenders and kitchen tools to make it easier for him to prepare the meals. I will ask Aveline to find out what Humbly likes and have her pick out the items for me. It will give her a chance to see Humbly and enjoy their time together. Maybe I can find out what Gracie would like this season too.

Chapter 26 ==== Winter Kisses

Since the dinner party is tonight, I have decided to eat a larger breakfast and skip lunch so that I could go about my day decorating the manor as Humbly and Aveline prepare the festive food. It is strictly a gathering of good friends and I had told Gracie to let Aveline and Collin join in on the Winter celebration. Humbly was more than the delighted to spend the entire day with Aveline.

"Your breakfast will be ready in a moment, Sir."

"Good."

I figure that everyone has been served enough of the local and traditional fare at these parties so Humbly and I had decided to be different. We would offer some French and Italian dishes to our guests. Something to set the mood and have them be more interested in the idea of spending a few weeks in the Southern parts of France and Northern Italy. "Vegetable medley frittata with a tomato and herb sauce, Sir."

"That looks marvelous, Humbly."

"Thank you, Sir. The fruit salad will be ready shortly. Do you want a honey or anything with the fruit salad, Sir?"

"No. I will have it plain, thank you."

"Very well, Sir."

I could not wait to eat the ravioli Humbly has made yesterday. Some of the dishes require a day in advance to prepare. There was nothing quick about cooking the meat filling bathing in Chianti, herbs and spices. It consist of fresh, ground beef or sausage with the end parts of cured meats. It can be any type and it is even better when there are various meats mixed together. When they square cushions of savory meats are ready to be eaten, a rich, creamy, mushroom sauce with a touch of prosciutto is lightly smothered on them. The Northern regions of Italy definitely know how to indulge in creamy dishes.

The guests will also enjoy the soft pillows of potato gnocchi in a garlic and cheese cream sauce. It is a mixture of any white cheese that is left in dry storage. It gives Humbly reason to indulge in shopping for more cheese in January. He loves tasting the savory variety at the cheese shop. I had told Humbly to place the colorful tree made of petite macaron in the guest room, dining room and the table at the front entrance. Guests are welcome to indulge in the light sweetness every where they turn. He made them with local fruit flavors and dark chocolate too. These crispy treats can be quite addictive. It is a good thing that Humbly made extra since I will be nibbling on them in between decorating.

The Winter memories are as warm as kisses. Each one is a peck on the cheek with sweetness. As sweet and full of texture as the mini profiteroles, cousin of the éclair. Humbly will be making quite a bit of those along with the macarons to be packaged in boxes for our guests to take home. I do not think anyone will be refusing the box of tempting treats. Even Humbly was stuffing himself while setting up the boxes.

Finally I will get to sit next to Gracie and be able to give her a kiss on the hand. If I am fortunate enough, maybe she will give me a kiss on the cheek to add to my warm memories. I feel warm all over thinking about it. When I am through setting up the wall decor, every entry way will have a Mistletoe above it which should give reason for everyone to be in a kissable mood.

If only I could deck the halls with roasted Chestnuts, berries and sugar plums. Since that could not be done tastefully, I had Humbly set the nuts and fruits all in a small bowl above each place mat. The main course will be a roasted goose stuffed with Chestnuts, dried fruits, foie gras and herb crouton that was baked by Humbly yesterday. This will be complimented with a Sangiovese and Champignon mushroom sauce as well as a seasonal fruit medley relish.

On both sides of the goose will be a dish of terrine. One is made with Salmon and the other is a squash medley. As for the soup, I had Humbly surprise me. Pumpkin and Butternut squash soup would be nice. But then there is the onion soup, garlic soup, a combination of both, beef consommé, cream of potato or cream of carrot soup to be on the simple side. Bouillabaisse is high on the list, but that depends if Humbly is able to make that since it does require more ingredients and preparation. He already has a handful to make as it is with the help of Aveline.

I should get some more tea in the kitchen and see what Humbly is making. On a tray was a colorful display of stuffed peppers.

"They are beautiful, Humbly."

"Thank you, Sir. These are Italian stuffed peppers with chopped scallops."

"I am sure they will be tasty. Please do not mind me. I am here for more tea."

After my cup was filled, I went back out to make sure everything was in order. Need to make sure the fire is lit in the guest room, dining room and front entrance. The smell of sweets fill the air which adds a nice touch to the jovial season. If only Frederick was here to savor this moment with me. He could not join me for the festive occasion, but he will be traveling with me in the coming months.

When the time came, Kevin and Stephen were the first to arrive. I am hoping those two are in good spirits tonight. Sometimes they have their little feuds as any couple would.

"Good evening Stephen and Kevin. Please come in and make yourself comfortable."

"Thank you, Leo. Your place looks fabulous. Is that a macaron tree I see?"

"Yes, it is. Help yourself to some, Stephen. I warn you, they are every where. You will not leave here without eating at least a handful."

"I will be lucky if a handful is all I will eat. You may be missing a tree tonight."

"Hahaha... Well I will know who the thief is. Please have a seat in the guest room."

"It feels nice and warm in here. Everything looks lovely, Leo."

"Thank you, Kevin. Are you in the mood for some port, brandy or tea?"

"I will have a port, thank you."

"Glass of port it is. How about you Stephen?"

"I will have some brandy, thank you."

"Here is your glass. Please feel free to help yourselves. I need to answer the door. Humbly is busy in the kitchen preparing a splended dinner for us."

It was not long before everyone on the list had showed up within the past half hour. When Gracie had arrived with Collin, my heart was filled with joy to see her lovely face again. My night is memorable already and I know everything will taste wonderful with her next to me.

"I see you have an abundance of Mistletoe hanging every where."

"Well I was hoping it would give you reason to kiss me every where."

She gave a smile a quick peck on the cheek before she had her back turned away to join the others in the guest room for a drink. I believe she likes teasing me. Sadly, I have to keep my hands to myself as much as possible with all these guests around. How I want to return that kiss on her lips and on every part of her body.

Humbly came in to announce that dinner will be ready shortly. Then we all went to the dining room to sit in our assigned seats. I had it arranged so that there was not any way for Gracie to sit away from me.

Everyone was dazzled by the first few courses that graced the elegant table with colors and the savory aroma that could not escape their noses. I was glad to see them all enjoying themselves and Humbly was pleased to know his efforts had paid off.

Chapter 27 ==== Maybe the Wine Did the Talking

If only the night would last a bit longer. I could not be more happy then to be in a room full of people I can call friends and of course my lovely Gracie. Great company and great food all in the same room that will stay in my memory for a long time. It is almost the perfect setting to propose to her, but I did not. I want it to be in a more breath taking place with the sun shining and the weather just right. Not too cold or hot and the sky as beautiful as it can be. All I need is that setting mixed with the current group of people I have in this room and it will be perfect.

"Stephen, you seem to be enjoying the seafood risotto."

"Yes! It is fabulous. I must have the recipe to this creamy delight."

"I will have Humbly give you the recipe."

"Thank you, Leo. Everything is delicious. You agree, Kevin?"

"Yes. It is very tasty. We should come over for dinner more often."

"Why do you not make this for me, Kevin?"

"I am not that good in the kitchen. You know that."

"Well if you are not going to make me these delectable dishes then I will have to visit Humbly more often."

Kevin and Stephen have been together long enough for them to sound the same as any married couple. He does not think Kevin shows enough affection by cooking something good for him. Kevin does not think Stephen shows enough affection in the bedroom. Stephen feels as if he does most of the cooking and caring for their health. Kevin feels as if he is pressured to always do something spontaneous or different to spice up their relationship.

I am hoping that Gracie would not think I am less than considerate or bland after a while. It is possible that all the time we spend together at first will not be as fun or interesting to do later. I fear that one day she would find me less than exciting. It would be a shame if I lose her interest to a book. She could very well one day be more interested to read than to spend time with me.

Natalie and Gracie are enjoying their fried polenta with an olive tomato relish. Vincent and Evelyn could never stop being in this loving mood with one another. It is almost sickening the way they act as if Cupid's arrow hit them everyday. If there is a before and after picture of how couples act, Vincent and Evelyn would be before and Kevin and Stephen would be after. I feel stuck in the middle to some extent.

"It appears that there is a theme to the dinner tonight, Leo."

"Yes, there is. Can you figure it out, Natalie?"

"Hmm... I think there is an Italian and French theme here. Am I right?"

"Indeed you are. Are you enjoying it?"

"Yes. It is a break away from the traditional fare. I do not remember French and Italian food being this magnificent before."

"Compliments to the chef then. I will let Humbly know."

"He has definitely made a very favorable impression on me with all these sweet and savory delights. I wish that I can take him home with me."

"Hahaha... I am sure you would love that, but he is mine. All mine. You will have to settle for the recipes."

"Maybe I can make a lovely meal when I visit you, Natalie."

"That would be lovely, Gracie. But I would not want you to go through all that trouble when you are visiting me. It should be me to make something lovely for you."