Warrior Princess

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I took a few steps to the side.

"And now," intoned King Aethelwulf, "I call Alfred, Prince of Wessex."

I watched the prince kneel before his father. There'd be an earldom or a dukedom for him - I was sure. Perhaps he'd be sent to Berkshire with Wilfred, to watch the border with Mercia.

But no, what was this? Aethelwulf was signalling again to the courtier. Two men were approaching, wearing the dark green colours of the Sussex army. I blinked - I knew exactly who they were - the Earls of Portslade and Lewes. What on earth were they doing here?

The page was coming forward again. A gasp went up from the men, for resting on the green cushion that he carried was a golden crown. My heart skipped a beat.

"Alfred of Wessex," intoned King Aethelwulf. "You are called to the throne of Sussex. Are you willing to take the Oath?"

A deafening roar of approval sounded around the assembled companies. Alfred's reply was lost in the cheering.

The king held up his hand silence and asked the question again.

"Alfred of Wessex - are you willing to take the Oath?"

"I am," the prince replied, still kneeling before his father.

"Do you solemnly promise and swear to govern the Peoples of Sussex according to their respective laws and customs?"

"I solemnly promise," Alfred answered.

"Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?"

"I will."

King Aethelwulf turned and lifted the crown from the cushion.

"Then Alfred, Prince of Wessex - in the presence of these here assembled - I crown you King of Sussex!"

A second roar of approval sounded, even louder than the first. I shot the two Earls a glance - they were applauding too as Alfred rose to his feet. He looked across at me and I smiled back. He turned to acknowledge the support of his men, his golden crown glinting in the early evening sun.

The new king held up his hand for quiet.

"Your majesty," he said, addressing his father again, "I am humbled by your charge. I pledge to serve my people justly and faithfully for as long as I live." He paused. "But there is one thing I desire that you have no power to give."

Aethelwulf looked up sharply and furrowed his brow. Alfred turned and extended his arm towards me. I walked, no ran to his side, gleefully accepting his hand. I knew what was coming, my heart was pounding.

Alfred turned to my father.

"King Frithwald of Surrey," he began, his voice betraying a hint of nervousness for the first time. "Most humbly I request your permission to take your daughter, Princess Elspeth, as my wife."

My father broke out into the broadest smile.

"My daughter," he asked, turning to me, "is it your will that you be married to this man?"

"It is your majesty," I replied, giving a long, deep curtsey.

"Then I give you my blessing. Let the houses of Sussex and Surrey be joined!"

Alfred and I embraced as the cheers sounded around us.

"Thank you," he whispered in my ear.

"I love you!" I whispered back.

-

There was a feast that night - the largest I'd ever seen. A giant fire blazed in the centre of the camp and all around was music and dancing as the beer flowed freely.

There were many to meet - too many - all wanted to offer their congratulations to the new king and his future queen - to pledge their loyalty, to make an impression. There were the veteran comrades of Alfred's father, the nobles of Wessex - my fiancé's boyhood peers, now knights in their own right - and the men of the Sussex army, desperate for their new leader's approval. A few names I recognised, but most washed over my head in a jumbled torrent.

I looked across to the other side of the fire, to where the archers were celebrating in the highest spirits. That morning they'd been but boys, fearful of the battle ahead. Now they were warriors - they'd return to their families as conquering heroes. I smiled to myself - they too had become the greatest of men.

"Go to them," I heard Alfred whisper in my ear. "They are your army. Your must share your victory with them."

He planted a gentle kiss on the side of my head.

The archers fell silent, bowing low as I approached. I felt a tinge of regret - hours earlier I had been their elder sister - but now a chasm had opened between us that could never be bridged. They were nervous, wary even. But I felt them relax a little as I congratulated each one of them in turn, thanking them for their service, telling them how proud their parents would be.

I turned away from the group and caught sight of Alfred talking to the two Sussex earls - laughing and joking as they sat either side of him.

"He puts people at their ease so quickly," said a voice. "He gets it from his mother."

I spun round. King Aethelwulf was standing behind me. Immediately I sank into a low curtsey.

"Your majesty," I murmured reverently, averting my gaze from his face.

"Elspeth," the king replied with a gentle laugh, "you have no need to bend your knee before me!"

"I must thank you for all that you have done for my country and my family," I babbled nervously.

King Aethelwulf smiled gently. "I have done little," he replied. "It is your fiancé who rightly receives the thanks and praise."

I blushed.

"Alfred has chosen well," he said. "He cares for you deeply - I can see why. I am honoured to call you my daughter."

"You have honoured him greatly with a kingdom of his own," I answered, trying to deflect the king's attention away from myself.

Aethelwulf looked across the circle of revellers towards his son.

"It is indeed an honour..." he said carefully, placing his hand on my shoulder, "...but it is a great responsibility. The shores of Sussex are ill protected; the Vikings will seek their revenge. There are defences to build, armies to train... There is little time to celebrate. Alfred must get to work."

His voice trailed off as he saw the reaction in my face - in the heady exuberance of love and celebration, I'd not stopped to consider the challenges ahead.

"But the new king is ready," Athelwulf continued quickly. "And he will not do it alone - he will have my support through it all."

"It is a great burden," I said quietly.

"It is a great responsibility," he replied. "But Alfred is prepared for the task - I can teach him no more. For too long he has hidden in Chertsey, playing his spy games, sending secret messages to his brother. Now he must step into the light - now he must command like a king."

"You did not send him? To Chertsey, I mean?"

The king rubbed his chin between his forefinger and thumb - I'd seen Alfred do the same - like father, like son.

"He wanted to live in a frontier town. He thought there'd be gossip and intrigue - he'd learn much of the world."

"Oh," I said, surprised. Alfred had led me to believe that the posting was his father's idea.

"The abbey was our compromise," Aetherwulf continued. "I thought the monotony would bore him - that he'd be back in Winchester in a month - with his tail between his legs!" He chuckled. "Some hope! The next thing I heard, he'd killed the local thane, rescued the Surrey royal family and was demanding 800 soldiers be sent to Holmburgh Hill!"

I couldn't help but laugh.

"But you knew there would be a battle," I answered. "You knew you'd have to face the Vikings soon," I said.

"I thought it would be south on our coast - not east," the king replied slowly. "But I was wrong and my son was right." He paused. "I am old - the younger generation is coming to the fore - perhaps I have been in this game too long."

I looked up at him alarmed. I wanted to ask him what he meant, but he looked away.

"Ah - that is your father," he said pointing to King Frithwald at the far side of the fire. "I must leave you to your men." He indicated the archers with a nod. "I have much to discuss with him."

I watched him retreat into the crowd, before turning back to seek out my prince. But my fiancé had disappeared. I looked anxiously among the revellers at the far side of the fire - I was beginning to get a little worried. Portslade was missing too - had he dragged the prince into the woods and slit his throat?

There was a tap on my shoulder. I spun round. It was Alfred, holding a finger to his lips. Silently he took my hand and lead me away from the sounds and smells of the feasting.

The moon was rising as we stood hand-in-hand, looking down to the plain below. He drew me to him, encircling me with his arms, holding me close, letting me feel his body against mine. He placed a soft kiss on the side of my head. My heart pounded with excitement. I smiled back at him that gooey delight of the first flush of love.

"Will you sit with me awhile?" he asked softly.

Silently, we sat together on the fallen tree trunk, arms behind each other's backs. I rested my head against his shoulder and he kissed me lovingly on the side of my head.

"I am the happiest man in the world," he said quietly.

"And I am the happiest woman," I replied.

The brightest, widest smile lit up his face.

"You are sure?" he asked.

"I have loved you since the moment I saw you," I said.

"You mean you loved Cedric?" he teased.

"Cedric was nice," I admitted, "but he was very serious. Alfred is much more fun!"

He laughed and I kissed him on the cheek.

"Look yonder," said my fiancé, pointing to the horizon. "That is our kingdom. Never have I set foot there, but tomorrow, I must ride into Chichester at the head of the Sussex army to take my place as king."

"And will I come with you?" I asked eagerly.

Alfred shook his head sadly. "I am sorry Elspeth - you must go north with your father. You must be at his side when he enters his castle at Morden. I may not see you again before our wedding day - that will be many months away."

That hit me like dagger to my heart. I opened my mouth to protest, to insist that I would not be parted from him. But I knew he was right - there were customs to be followed, protocols to be observed, rules to be obeyed - the marriage of a king and princess from two royal houses was not straightforward - we too were bound by the ancient law.

But tonight was different. An idea was forming in my mind. I glanced around to check - was anyone watching? No, we were definitely on our own. No one was looking for us - they were too busy celebrating to worry where we were.

"Alfred," I asked cautiously, "will you lie with me tonight? Will you let me know you as a lover before I know you as a king?"

His eyes widened with surprise and a smile crept over his face.

"You want to?" he asked, surprised.

I nodded. "Please Alfred - let me lie with you tonight!"

I kissed him tenderly on the cheek.

He brushed a stray strand of hair away from my face and looked deep into my eyes. Then, with a conspiratorial smile, he held a finger to his lips, stood and offered me his hand.

Stealthily we crept around the outside of the camp, slipping past the guards, skirting the summit of the Green Mountain. The trees around us closed in, casting deep shadows, concealing our flight as we began to descend again. Sure-footedly Alfred led the way northwards. Instinctively, I knew where he was taking me - back to the hermit's cottage, our place of sanctuary - this was the path he'd taken each night, when he returned to us as Cedric.

We reached the clearing by the cottage. A soft mist was rising from the magical pool - embracing us - as if Nature herself was blessing our union. Silently we stood, hand-in-hand, watching the moonlight dance as it played across the water.

Now it was my turn to take the lead - to show my prince what I wanted. Cautiously, I pushed open the front door of the cottage, heart in my mouth - half expecting a troop of Vikings to be hiding there. But inside the building was dark and empty - as austere as the day I had fled.

Alfred picked up an oil lamp from the table and struck a flint. The flame grew strong, casting a yellow light around us, picking out the bare stone fireplace, spreading a little warmth through the humble building.

He lit a second lamp and handed it to me. I took his hand and led the way, into the room where he'd slept each night. I remembered the last time I was here - how I'd brushed my fingers through Cedric's hair, seen that flash of gold, revealed the true man concealed beneath. Back then, I'd panicked - but now I understood. He was the one I'd love for the rest of my life - he was the one who'd been waiting for me.

Methodically I began to undress him, unfastening his belt from his waist and freeing the hem of his tunic. Cautiously I pushed the fabric upwards, exposing the ridges of his chest beneath. His hands reached down to grasp the sides of the garment, lifting it up and over his head, tossing it to the side.

My jaw dropped. The most perfect man stood before me.

From the blond curls of his hair to his fine-chiselled chest, his body glowed with a brilliant bronze lustre. Hesitantly I reached forwards, fearful the vision of beauty might vanish beneath my fingertips. Lightly I traced the outline of his muscles - feeling the firm coolness of his skin - in awe of his masculine form. He opened his arms and I stepped willing towards him, letting him fold me into his secure embrace. Gently I laid my head against him, listening to the steady rhythm of his heart as a tidal wave of love swept over me.

But what was that? Something hard and bone-like, digging against my belly as I squeezed myself against him. I'd removed his belt and sword hadn't I? In my confusion I pushed away a little - something was caught in the front of his trousers - a long shadow cast where the fabric was tented.

Realisation dawned - I'd seen the stallions when they ran with the mares!

"Is that... Is that...?" I asked, my eyes wide with excitement.

A shy smile crept across Alfred's face.

"Yeah, it is," he nodded, a little embarrassed.

"Can I..?" I whispered.

I stared in fascination at the stretched material - the beast beneath was straining to escape.

"Can I touch? Can I feel?" I asked, my nervousness catching in my throat.

I didn't wait for a reply. Tentatively I reached downwards and rested my palm against his length. He was hard - exquisitely hard! And long - far longer than my hand. Above me, Alfred let out a strangled moan, his body twitching as I made contact.

"Is that good?" I asked doubtfully, looking up at him for guidance.

He rested his hand over mine, moulding my palm more firmly around his length.

"Like that," he whispered.

I closed my eyes, letting my fingers ripple around him as I contemplated his girth. He felt so big - would he really fit inside me? My confidence was deserting me - I had no idea what I was doing. I wanted to hold him, to stroke him, to make him feel good - but where should I even start? Should I undress him? Slip my hand inside his trousers? Or would that be pushing him too far?

And what of me? The ladies-in-waiting would prepare a royal bride for her wedding night. She was supposed to wait beneath the sheets, her modesty hidden from her husband's eyes. I was clueless - I had no idea what to do. Should I be naked? Should I lie on my back? There was no one to ask - no one to guide me - only him.

But gentle Alfred saw my hesitation, saw the doubts that overwhelmed me, saw my confusion as I looked into his eyes. Lovingly he brushed a few stray strands of hair from my face and cradled my cheeks in his hands.

"Please," he said simply. "I will take care of you. Let me undress you."

Tenderly he kissed me, lightly brushing his soft lips against my skin, letting his tongue caress my own, stirring my heart as it beat in time with his.

Delicately his fingers unfastened the gold chain of my necklace, lifting the proud Wessex lion from my chest. He turned to set his father's gift behind him. Another tender kiss, his hands running down my sides, gathering the fabric in his hands.

Slowly, very slowly, he inched the garment upwards, keeping his eyes fixed on mine. Uncommanded, my arms raised above my head as he lifted my tunic clear.

The moment I was free, I fell against him, anxiously hiding my body from his eyes. My breasts were still bound and I was still in trousers, but no man had seen me this naked before. I felt tense, I felt awkward - I clung to him for support.

He held me - letting me get used to the feel of his skin on mine. Gently he stroked my back with his fingers. I took a deep breath - this was what I'd wanted - this is what I did want - I had to trust myself, I had to trust my prince.

I looked up into his deep blue eyes. He smiled reassuringly.

"I love you," he whispered, squeezing me tightly against him.

There it was again - his hardness against my belly - now bigger and firmer than before. Mischievous thoughts flitted through my mind, firing the heat within me - I wanted to see, I wanted to touch.

Again, I slid my hand towards the source of my fascination. My fingers closed around his length, more boldly this time - testing his weight through the fabric of his trousers. I smiled up at him, watched his eyes close as I squeezed him gently, heard his strangled gasp of pleasure as I tightened my grip.

Gentle kisses became frantic kisses - our tongues dancing in a vortex of passion as our bodies fought to become one. His hands scrabbled behind my back, untying the binding that held my breasts. I lifted my arms above my head as he began to pull, spinning away from him as he unwrapped me. With a cry of delight, I was finally free. I turned to face him.

His mouth fell open in awe.

"You are beautiful," he whispered, "so beautiful."

Instinctively I raised my hands to shield my nakedness.

"They are too small," I protested.

Alfred shook his head.

"They are perfect - perfect!" he replied.

He stepped towards me again. I braced myself - waiting for him to untie the fastenings of my trousers, to disrobe me, to strip me completely, to make me fully naked, to leave me vulnerable, standing in front of him. But he didn't. In one, swift movement he had lifted me upwards, sweeping me off my feet. I clung to him as he carried me, wrapping my legs around his waist as he crossed the floor. Gently he lowered my body to the bed and I felt my back sink into the mattress.

A pang of self-consciousness shot through me as he pulled away from me. He was turning around, moving back to the other side of the room. Again I lifted my hands to cover my breasts, fearful I might have done something wrong. What was he doing? Was he leaving? Was I not good enough?

I saw him pick up one of the lamps and place it on the small table next to the bed. I shivered - I wanted to hide in the darkness - I'd hoped he'd blow it out.

I turned towards him as he lay down beside me, his body casting shadows over mine. The light from behind him streamed through his golden curls and his deep blue eyes shone with his love. My prince was an angel, descended to earth.

"You are so beautiful," he whispered.

Demurely I looked away, my cheeks reddening.

He smiled and brushed a stray strand of hair from my face.

"Let me kiss you," he said quietly.

His lips met mine - gentle kisses this time, slow and tender. Instinctively I lifted my hands to cradle his face, holding him close as he moved his body over mine.

But what was this? He was slipping away from my grasp, moving down the bed, fettering my neck and collar bone with his kisses. He paused - eyes aflame as he beheld my naked breasts.

"So beautiful," he whispered again.

He bent his head and lightly blew across my nipples. A pulse of lighting flashed through me, shaking my body from tip to toe. Alfred gave an excited smile - he'd seen the effect he'd had on me.

Again, he dipped his head, this time planting a simple kiss on each breast. That felt so good - my body fizzed with excitement. Another sensation - his tongue this time - caressing each nipple - the gentle warmth of his mouth closing over each in turn as he worshipped me. A low moan sounded from deep inside my chest - the visceral call of a waking beast.

1...345678