Was It Ever True?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I said, "I didn't know women did those kinds of things and isn't it kind of early for a slumber party?"

Her mom responded that she didn't either but that each time Bev came the girls were getting together most nights and usually on one night they spent the night. She told me that sometimes they started early and some times when they didn't spend the night, they were early into the next morning. She asked if I wanted Janice's number and I told her no, that I would call her cell phone.

Just before we hung up, a thought occurred to me. If Bev is spending so much time at Janice's, when does she take her folks out" I asked, "Mom, when are you guys going out with Bev this time?"

She paused and then sounded a little confused when she replied, "Cliff, you know we are pretty much home-bodies. We don't go out very often. We haven't been out with Bev in a long while. But thanks for asking. Her dad and I need to see that she gets out with someone other than the girls once in a while." And then happily she ended, "Thanks Hon for mentioning it. We have been neglecting our daughter."

What in the hell is going on? I have given her over one thousand dollars to entertain her folks. Bev, you have a lot of explaining to do.

I called her cell phone and it was off. That uneasy feeling that something was going on behind my back was growing worse. But I decided to wait until she called. When she called, we talked and then I asked her why she hadn't told me about the hen parties at Janice's. She stopped a minute and responded that she had never thought I would be interested and she had just never mentioned it.

When I asked about her cell phone being off she hesitated and said the battery had died and she had left it at home to charge but she didn't remember turning it off. She was using Janice's phone and needed to keep our conversation short tonight. She was starting to sound strange and I didn't go any further. I thought I should be able to hear voices in the background if several women were together, but I didn't hear anything. I told her I loved her and she said, "Me too," and we hung up.

The alarms were getting louder in my head. Something was going on, but I didn't have a clue. I sat and thought about the conversations for a while and then wondered if Janice was working, why was the party starting so early? I decided it was time to start getting answers and I picked up my cell phone to call her back and ask.

Without thinking, I pressed the auto-dial button. As I heard the second ring, I realized that I had mistakenly dialed her cell phone and that I didn't have Janice's number. I was removing the handset from my ear and was startled when I heard her answer. I paused for a moment to gather my thoughts and then disguised my voice and said, "Mabel?"

She responded that I must have a wrong number. I said, "Sorry" and hung up. She was lying to me about the cell phone. Now I was really wondering what else?

When she came home, things were the same. But, I was now harboring suspicions about the true nature of her visits to her parents. Her excuse about the hen parties was pretty feeble. We have always talked about everything together and we usually fill the other in on strange or different happenings. I felt that she certainly would have told me about the parties if she weren't trying to purposely hide them. I came to the conclusion that the parties were a cover-up for something she didn't want me and probably her parents to know about.

I asked about Janice; whether she worked, and was she taking time off to have the parties. I was told that yes, she worked but one of the girls had a key to the house and Janice had told them to come over and use the house whenever they liked. Janice was always there shortly after work and sometimes they went out for supper and sometimes they ordered take-out.

* * * * * *

When she informed me of her next planned trip to her folks, I made arrangements to take time off. I was going to do a little snooping. I told my people that I had business in Chicago but I was not sure where I would be at any particular time, therefore, use my cell phone if they needed me. I gave a similar spiel to Bev. She was leaving before noon on Tuesday and would be home for supper on Friday.

She wanted to know where I was going. I lied to her and told her I had meetings with several clients in the Chicago area on Tuesday afternoon, most of the day Wednesday and one on Thursday afternoon. I would be home early Friday afternoon. When she asked where I was staying I told her I didn't know that I might stay in different hotels each night since my work was scattered around the area.

Tuesday, as she was ready to leave, she turned to me and asked if she should take her folks out like we had been doing in the past?

I knew she was asking for money. I also was having that bad feeling again. Was she taking her folks out? If the girls were meeting what sounded like every night she was there, how could she? I said, as I thought quickly, "Hon, I'm sorry, but I don't have any cash on me today. Put it on your credit card and I will give it back to you when you come home."

She frowned, and said, "Well maybe we just won't go out this time. We don't have to make it an every visit happening. Be careful and have a good trip." With that she smiled, gave me a quick kiss and I went out the door.

I worked in the office until after lunch when I rented a car and followed Bev's route. I checked in to the only motel in town and had a nap before dinner. Having been here only once before, I hadn't realized that the motel was perfectly located for what I needed. I was able to get a second story room and from my window I could see Bev's home and the cars. I set up my laptop and was able to work on it while observing the comings and goings at Bev's. It was also convenient that from her house you have to pass by the motel any time you wanted to go anywhere. Going the other direction, the road shortly turns into a dirt road, and eventually, after an 'End of Road' sign, comes to a stop in front of a fence around a farm field.

I really wasn't expecting anything to happen tonight and I was right. After supper, Bev got in her car and I followed. She made a run to the drug store and went right home. She called me at nine and she asked how things were going. I told her being on the road alone was not much fun but I had a good day. She told me she missed me and would call tomorrow. Before she hung up I asked her if they were going to have their hen party while she was there. She chuckled and told me just getting together with the girls was not a hen party. But yes, they were getting together tomorrow night. She would call from there as she had done in the past. I hung up, closed the curtains, watched TV for a while, and went to bed.

Since her last trip up here, I had an occasion to talk to Bev's mom. In the process I got Janice's address and phone number. I also found out that Janice had a bad marriage. It had only lasted two years. She has her own little two-bedroom home and works for one of the banks.

Wednesday was uneventful and I got a lot of work done. Just as I was about to go out and get something to eat, I saw Bev get in her car. I ran to my car, and as she went by, I pulled out and followed her. She went into one of the older sections of town. I don't know why I said that. The whole town is an older section. I should have said; less affluent. By the street signs and house numbers, it appeared she was going to Janice's. She pulled into a driveway and onto the side lawn at Janice's. I started to feel better.

As I passed by the house, I noted the two cars already parked in the driveway. One was a late model Camry. But I particularly noticed that the other was a rather old Ford and had a Pennsylvania plate. Also, I wasn't sure, but I thought I had seen who I supposed was Janice greet, her along with what I thought was a male figure behind her.

There was an old barn just down the road where I could park and there was a thicket I could enter from which I could observe the house without being seen. Before stopping, I made a quick run to a truck stop, picked up a sandwich, some chips, and a drink.

I returned to the farm and settled in the thicket. There were no more cars and I could not see any activity outside the house. I ate my pitiful supper and watched. At nine, my cell phone rang. Bev was making her nightly call. As before, there was almost no background sounds. She was at Janice's with her old girl friends. Something was peculiar; Not only did I see no other cars; I had seen no one else approach the house. Either they had all been dropped off while I ran to the truck stop or no one else had arrived. As we were about to end, she told me they were getting together again tomorrow night and would call from there again.

But, before we hung up I asked, "How many of you are there at these hen parties?"

In a light manner she told me again that these were not hen parties. She then answered my question that there were usually six or seven there but tonight only two others had showed up. Well, at least the number she was reporting seemed reasonable from what I had observed.

I made myself comfortable and settled down for a wait. About midnight I left the thicket and strolled towards Janice's house. I didn't want to be seen so I stopped about fifty yards from the house. I didn't hear anything that sounded like a bunch of women getting together. But, if there were only four or five there, there might not be much noise. After listening for about ten minutes, I returned to the thicket.

About two in the morning I detected activity outside. It was too dark to see well. All I could see was one person, who was obviously Bev, and someone else come out and walk to her car. They stood there a few minutes, but again I couldn't see what was going on. Bev finally got in her car and left.

I stayed hoping to get a glimpse of who else was there. After about thirty minutes, all the lights went out. No one else left--strange. Back at the motel I could see Bev's car, so she was home.

The next day I drove by Janice's house several times. The Camry was gone. Assuming the Camry was Janice's, I checked the parking lot of the two banks in town, and sure enough, the Camry was at the second bank. I didn't learn anything but I decided that I would stake out Janice's house early and see who was going in.

Since Bev had gone over early in the afternoon the last time, I found my spot about three-thirty. I had brought a folding chair with me and set it up in the thicket. Thankfully, the weather was beautiful and sitting in the thicket was pleasant. I had brought a book that deserved reading, a better picnic supper, and was enjoying myself. Shortly before six the Camry returned and a female got out and went into the house. I was kicking myself for not having brought my binoculars from home or for not buying a pair this afternoon.

I had just gotten comfortable when I heard a car door slam. I moved to where I could see, and observed the old Ford start and head down the road. Unfortunately my spot did not provide a good vantage point for the road. The car went by and all I could make out was that there was a man at the wheel. I assumed it was the man I thought I had seen last night. However, when I returned my gaze to the house, I could see a male and a female on the front porch. The puzzle was becoming more confusing and complex.

I was really wondering what was happening as it started to get dark. It was about seven o'clock and lights had come on at Janice's. However, no one had come to, or left the house since the guy in the old car left. I questioned whether I should stay or go back to the motel. The way back to the motel doesn't provide any alternatives route and I thought I would be able to spot Bev's car if she were to be headed for Janice's. Something was going on, no doubt, and I didn't have a clue. I thought about calling Bev or her folks, dismissed the thought, and headed back to the motel to wait for her nine o'clock call.

As I pulled into the motel, my jaw dropped. There was Bev's car and the old Ford from PA sitting side-by-side. I sat in the car and thought for a few minutes. A nauseating thought occurred to me as I went to the Ford to see if I could determine who it belonged to.

The inside of the car looked like a mobile trash can; it even smelled like a sour trash can. There were some pieces of clothing, a litter of candy and fast food wrappers, cans, bottles, newspapers, etc. It was unlocked and I opened the glove box. After searching for a minute I found the registration. I stood staring in disbelief at the name printed on the card as my nausea increased. The car was registered to Baldwin Snipes. I wanted to puke. Buster was here. Bev was fucking that SOB again. (By- the-way, I found out not long ago that when Buster was in grade school and grew much larger than most of his classmates, he physically convinced them to call him Buster; not 'Little Baldy' or 'Baby Grand' [piano].)

As noted before, I have always had the knack for quickly putting plans in place before acting. In this case it didn't take but a moment to formulate a plan. My plan came full circle when I spotted Buster's wallet lying under some stuff on the passenger's seat. There were a few bucks, some cards with his name, and a driver's license. I took the license and the cards with his name on them, along with the registration card and threw the wallet back on the seat.

Then I went to Bev's car. Her purse was locked in the car. Using my duplicate I opened the car and took her driver's license and her credit card out of her wallet. As I was getting her wallet I found a box of condoms with several missing. The receipt for the condoms was dated yesterday. I didn't know it at the time, but I had watched her go buy them. I noted that the cell phone was gone. I returned the purse, with the condoms, locked the car and went to my room.

In my room I called a college buddy who lives in Altoona, PA. We chatted for a moment and then I briefly relayed my predicament. I gave him the information contained on Buster's license and registration, plus phone number. I asked him to go to a pay phone, call the PA State Police, identify himself as Buster, and report his car as stolen. Then inform the police that he could not be reached until tomorrow evening; that he would be on a construction site out of town. My buddy was happy to help.

I went on the internet and opened Bev's credit card account. Sure enough, a charge from this motel had been made earlier today. I about crapped when I saw that she had also taken a cash advance for two-hundred dollars yesterday. She was a reverse prostitute. She was paying him to screw her and providing the condoms as well.

Looking at the records over the past two months, I found another similar charge. (This is Bev's card. I got it for her after canceling our joint card following the reunion incident.) It's her card and she takes care of it. I have never paid any attention to it. It has a limit of one thousand dollars and she has complained about the limit but never made a big deal. I don't think she knows that I have on-line access to all of my/our financial accounts.

I immediately called the credit card company and reported the card as stolen sometime earlier today, that I had discovered it when I came home. I had to do a little footwork there because they wanted to speak to her. They finally accepted the fact that she was out of town; that her card had been left in her car in our garage and that thieves had broken into the garage and the car. Then I pointed out the motel charge made today and told them it was fraudulent. I didn't mention the two-hundred dollar cash advance. She could pay for that without my reimbursement.

My last call was to the local police to anonymously report a suspicious looking car at the motel. Then I went outside and dumped the items I had gathered, including the cut-up credit card, into the trash can.

I had no idea what room they were in, but I really didn't give a damn. You can play me for a fool once, but don't push your luck beyond the one time.

I love it when all the pieces of a plan come together including some pieces you hadn't included. About half an hour after I made the phone calls, I heard a commotion coming from down below. I went out and determined that it was the hotel clerk asking someone to pay cash or leave, that the credit card had been reported stolen. I heard a voice that I recognized as Buster's telling the clerk to get out before he got hurt. I also heard Bev's voice trying to explain that there had been some sort of mistake. Apparently Buster was successful in bullying the clerk because the door slammed and the clerk returned to the office.

I could see the office and he immediately made a phone call. I know he called the police because they showed up within five minutes. He pointed them in this direction and the officers disappeared below. I heard the police knock on the door that seemed to be almost underneath me. There followed a mixed sound of voices, some of them angry and in a few minutes one of the officers came out and took a look at both cars, apparently writing down the license numbers. He returned to the cruiser and I'm sure he ran a check. Presently he returned to the room and about two minutes later, Bev and Buster, cuffed, were put in the cruiser. One officer returned to the room and came out a few minutes later with a plastic bag. I assume it contained their personal effects.

About an hour later, a tow truck picked up Buster's car. Screwing up their night provided but a small amount of satisfaction. I was sick. I sat looking out the window from my darkened room as I tried to figure out what had happened to bring all of this about. I was also pondering what to do next. Of course there was no nine o'clock call. That came with no surprise. So I called and left a simple message expressing my concern on her voice mail.

About ten o'clock I saw a car leave Bev's house. I could see her Dad driving but I couldn't tell if her mother was in the car. I decided to call her mother, if she was home. I called and got no answer. I left a message stating that I hadn't heard from Bev and was getting concerned and to please have her call my cell as soon as she got home.

This part I hated. I had become very close to Bev's folks, especially her dad. He had told me how happy he was to have me for a son-in-law and the influence I was exerting on Bev. He had confided that he and her mother had had a very difficult time with her the last two years of high school. She had been very popular and was running with a crowd they did not like. They had hoped she would graduate and go to college. He told me how disappointed they were that her grades were so poor that she would have to attend a community college in order to eventually get into a college. He had moisture in his eyes when he confided that she had barely qualified to receive a diploma. The only person ranking lower than her in the class was her no good, muscle brained, boy friend, Buster.

We talked about her often and I knew that he had trouble talking about her. It was obvious to me that there was also a lot that he wasn't telling me. It came as no surprise that he had banned Buster from the house during their junior year. Unfortunately, he couldn't stop her from going with him. He had thought about taking early retirement and moving back here before she started her junior year and now he was cursing himself, for not having followed his intuition. Our marriage had been a real bright spot in her parent's life.

I finished some e-mail and then decided that I didn't want to stay until morning. Bev would be coming home in the afternoon and I had some things to take care of before she got there. I packed my belongings and went to the office to check out. It was close to midnight. I was about to get in my car when another car entered the lot. It was Bev's folks. It stopped behind Bev's car and her mother, whom I had not seen earlier, got out and went to Bev's car. With the doors open I could hear Bev crying in the back seat and her dad didn't sound very happy. Both cars left and headed home.