Watching - Full

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You love Banoffee pie," she says.

"Yes, but it's not good with a stomach ache."

"Do you need to go home?" Sophia asks, a little more desperate than she should.

"No, I'll go and ask at the desk to see if they have anything. Anyway, I wouldn't want to pull you away from your obligations."

"No, I was thinking of just putting you in a taxi," she says hopefully.

Phil looks her square in the eyes. "There'd have to be something seriously wrong for me to leave you here alone. Anyway, I have a surprise for you at the end of the night," he says, seeing if he can make her bite without letting on what the surprise is.

"Oh?" Sophia eyes her husband for a second and then dismisses it in her mind.

"I'm just going to the reception," Phil says. He manages to get a couple of antacids from the helpful guy behind the desk. Although he's still not feeling right, his stomach has settled down a little. Phil walks back in and sees Katie already positioned where they have watched proceedings for the last three years.

"How are you feeling?" Sophia asks, surprising Phil with a rare bit of concern.

"I'm a little better," Phil says, putting on a brave smile.

"So what's this surprise?"

'Ah, sorry, not concern', Phil thinks. "You will have to wait until we leave. I'll give you a clue: we won't be going home tonight," he says, knowing what Sophia will automatically think.

Sophia tuts. "We've stayed here for the last two years. Can't you think of anything original? I'd rather go home. Anyway, I've got to mingle," she says, looking at him with a mixture of disdain and disappointment. Phil looks at her in disbelief, shakes his head, and walks toward his friend.

"Hello, Phil."

"Hello, Katie. Having a good time?" He asks.

"Same old, same old. How many years have we entertained ourselves?"

"Ten, but the fourth, where my wife has deserted me."

"Well, she has to mingle with the employees. She is the COO now, you know," Kath says, doing a good imitation of Sophia. Phil laughs and shakes his head. "You don't smile anymore. I guess I ruined that for you."

"I ring up to get permission to take my loving wife away on a surprise holiday, and you invite me to lunch to see Fuckwit working his hooks into her. That will wipe the smile off any guy's face."

"So, how are we playing this?"

"We watch and wait. We've seen Fuckwit do this twice before, so we know how he operates. I will make sure he doesn't take my first dance with Sophia. We act normal like we suspect nothing. When he goes to hide in the bathroom, leaving Sofia to tell me they will be sleeping together tonight, I will be there waiting."

"Does it change anything once you immobilise him?"

"No, the intent is there. Sophia won't know at the time she asks me. Just thought my wife knew his bullshit and reputation; we've taken the piss enough."

"So, is our deal still on?"

"Yes, as long as Sophia isn't in the taxi when I leave."

"So where's Fuckwit?"

"He was kissing the boss's ass last time I saw," Phil says, looking around after losing sight of him.

"Daddy hates that," Katie says. "Time to move; Daddy's walking toward the stage." Every year, Katherine's dad and owner gives a speech before the first dance. Then he and his wife, along with Sophia and Phil, start the proceedings off. Fuckwit has a habit of showing the husband up by having the first dance with the man's wife.

Phil heads toward his wife, determined not to let this happen. As Phil walks between the tables, he sees fuckwits foot sticking out. Phil stamps 'accidentally' on his foot that's stuck out. "I'm so sorry," he says, deliberately to the wrong person and quickly moves on.

Sophia looks at her husband, surprised for a second when his hand slips into hers. She quickly recovers, and Phil pretends not to notice her look for Fuckwit. Harry Symons comes up on stage. "Ladies and gentlemen. I will keep this short this year. We've had a good year this past year, and I would like to thank you all for putting in the hours when needed." I look at my wife and nod toward her. She smiles slightly awkwardly. Harry is a nice guy, but he does waffle, and after what seems like an eternity he says, "okay, as tradition dictates."

'Finally', Phil thinks to himself.

"I call my wife Jennifer, and Sophia with Phil, to the dance floor to start the night." There's a cheer, but it's not clear if it's for Harry or the end of the speech.

"Nice stamp, that had too hurt," Katie says as Phil returns to her side.

"It was in the way," he says, smiling. There's a comfortable silence as they watch the proceedings. Fuckwit is not doing his usual pattern of disrespecting the husband by monopolising the wife. Then Phil asks about something that occurred to him the other day. "I don't get it. What's in this for you?" he asks Katherine, who's caught a little off guard.

Katherine blushes. She quickly debates in her mind whether to come clean. 'What the hell, in for a penny,' she thinks. "Don't you know? I'm in love with you! I have been since I was eighteen."

"What? Why?" Phil splutters out. He didn't see that coming.

"Before you left the company, you were the only one to treat me like a human being and not the boss's daughter. You were always so nice." Katie couldn't look at Phil as she spoke the words she never thought she would. She looks at her watch. "Come on, we need to dance."

Phil escorts her to the dance floor. The moment they step on the dance floor, a slow song starts, and they slot together cheek to cheek. Phil whispers, "You're such a beautiful woman; you could have your pick of any guy."

"I don't want any guy; I want you." Katie is sure Phil can feel her heart trying to burst out of her chest.

"But," Phil is at a loss for words for a moment but quickly regains his composure. They dance for a while, not knowing what to say to each other. "You realise that when I split with Sophia, I won't be jumping into another relationship until after the divorce," Phil finally says, thinking that would put her off.

"I can wait. I've already waited fourteen years. I also know that if we are to stand any chance, we need to do it right." Kathline can't believe she has run through this conversation a million times in her mind, and now she is telling it to the person it was meant for.

"No wonder you've never had a serious relationship," Phil says, blowing out a breath. He's been watching Kathline from a distance for years and often wonders why nobody has snapped her up. Who would have thought? Sophia had mentioned that Kathline had a crush on him years ago, but he took that with a pinch of salt.

"Because they had a lot to live up to," Katie says, having an answer for everything. "The truth is that I had thought it was just a crush or a longing for something I couldn't have. I had thought about telling you but couldn't. I knew it would ruin our friendship and any chance, no matter how small, that we would be together." Katie is on a roll and all the years of pent-up passion is coming out.

They do their usual four songs, two slow and then two faster, before walking back up to their vantage point to stand and watch. They have been keeping an eye on one or the other, but it looks like Sophia has forewarned him or called it off because other than a couple of furtive looks and the odd touch when they pass. It looks nothing like the past couple of years.

"It's ten to eleven," Katie whispers, pulling Phil out of his thoughts.

He smiles. "Here, hold my jacket," he asks, wanting to avoid getting it dirty or bloody before departing. He walks around the back of the room, keeping out of sight, and slips into the bathroom unseen. A couple of minutes later Fuckwit limps in. "What have you done to your foot?" Phil asks, smirking like he knows.

"You bastard, you did this deliberately," he retorts a little angrily.

"Ah, Kevin got a boo-boo," Phil says in a baby voice, trying to goad him and deliberately getting his name wrong.

Phil surprised that was all it took. Fuckwit comes at him, but Phil sidesteps and pushes the heel of his hand into his diaphragm, knocking all the wind out of him. As he falls forward, Phil turns and strikes between his shoulder blades, causing him to lose balance and flies forward out of control. Phil winces as Fuckwit slams through a toilet door and smashes into one of the toilet bowls face first. Fuckwit crumbles to the floor and Phil can't resist a last hard kick between his open legs. He doesn't even twitch because he's out cold. Phil closes the cubical door and walks out. He hasn't even broken a sweat.

"That was quick; here's your jacket," Katie says when Phil returns.

"The idiot went for me. I think I've ruined his chance of having children." Phil says, stepping into the shadows to put his jacket back on.

"You still practice Krav Maga at the gym?" Katie asks, knowing the answer.

"Yeah, I had a lot of energy to burn off with all the shit Sophia has put me through this year."

"Kathline, can I steal my husband away for a bit?" Sophia says, taking them both by surprise.

"Here goes," Phil says to Katie, activating the recorder in his jacket pocket and then turning toward his wife with his best smile. "Yes, my darling. I'm surprised you've found time for me."

"You know I have to mingle with the employees. I am the COO," Sophia replies. Phil looks back and sees Katie smirking. They walk to a quiet corner. "Phil, I'm going to be spending the night with Kelvin. I'll be back in the morning," Sophia blurts out before Phil can prepare himself.

'Shit, she said it,' Phil thinks. 'Stick to the plan'. "You'll be destroying our marriage," he says, making his point clear.

"Don't be so dramatic," she replies, being dismissive.

Phil has recovered now. He knows his marriage is just about over. "I'm not being dramatic, I'm being honest. If you go through with this and you don't leave with me, we are through."

"It's just your male ego getting in the way," Sophia says, looking around to see if anyone is watching.

"Male ego? It's about our wedding vows, and it's not being right; that's getting in the way," he says. He is determined not to cry but can feel tears welling up in his eyes. "Look," he adds, pointing to his face. Can't you not see the hurt?"

"Quiet, you'll get people coming over," Sophia says, looking around again.

"Oh, we can't have people seen that," Phil spits through his teeth.

"Phillip," shit, she used his full name. "I have made my choice. It wasn't easy, but I believe I deserve one night with someone who cares." Phil can't believe the words spouting out of her mouth from the cheater's handbook.

"Someone who cares? He doesn't give a shit about you. Monday you will be used goods, and he will move on, just like the last three years." Sophia is shocked at her husband's words, and she knows he's right. Phil continues with his attack. "I have loved you for over twenty years, nineteen of those married. I looked after you when you were sick with Michael in your stomach. I looked after you when you had flu and COVID. I have put up with your bullshit for the last year, and you dare to tell me I don't care?"

They argue for ten minutes. Phil has said all he can. "I've had enough," he says. "I am exhausted." He turns and looks her in the eyes to show how serious he is. "You have until half past eleven to meet me in reception. If I leave without you, we're finished. There will be no more words, just divorce," he says. Phil has to walk away before he throws up or bursts into tears, if not both.

A quarter of an hour stands between now and the possible end of his marriage. Katie has already left. Phil turns the recorder off and makes his way through the ballroom's entrance. As Phil approaches, Kathline sees Phil's pain etched all over his face. Kathline's eyes well up as her own emotions overwhelm her. She can feel her heart beating hard as the man she professes to love goes through something she would never inflict on anyone. "I'm so sorry, Phil. I can't stand seeing you hurting." She puts her arm around him as he sits down next to her to wait.

The minutes crawl by. Five minutes feels like a lifetime. Every time a door opens, they look toward the ballroom, but it's not the person Phil wants it to be. A number of times, he wants to run back in, but Phil knows that it has to be Sophia who walks out for him, her husband. The man she vowed to spend the rest of her life with and to forsake all others.

The clock ticks to twenty-eight, and Phil gets up to collect his case from the reception desk. "Can you make sure Mrs Johnston gets her case? It doesn't look like she will be needing it," he says to the man behind the desk.

Eleven-thirty, shit, her time is up. Phil looks at Katie, who stands and looks back at him with a sad smile. Just then, the Ballroom doors burst open, but it's a drunk couple, and they are laughing at something. Phil doesn't even have it in him to smile at them having a good time.

At eleven thirty-two, the taxi pulls away with no Sophia. "Airport," Phil says to the driver. Katie wraps her arms around him. He feels like he's been hit by a truck.

It's coming to the end of the evening, and Harry Symons gets up on stage for the last time. Sophia continued the night as she and Fuckwit had planned. She hadn't seen him for a while, but she wasn't worried. Sophia walks onto the stage and stands next to Harry. He looks at her and says, "Aren't you meant to be on your way to Costa Rica or something." He looks past Sophia to his wife for confirmation.

When he receives a nod, he turns back to a shocked-looking Sophia. "His surprise was a holiday to Costa Rica," she says to herself.

Jennifer Symons knew what must have happened to Kathline and knew her daughter was on her way to foreign climes. "You stupid woman," she says. "You have thrown away the love of a very good man."

"Where's Kathline?" Mr Symons asks his wife, looking for his daughter.

"She's on her way to Costa Rica to make sure Phillip doesn't do anything stupid," his wife answers.

"I bet," Sophia says. "She's been after Phil since she started here."

"Yes, my daughter has been in love with your husband for a long time, but it's you who've allowed her to live that dream."

Just then, someone shouts from the back of the room. "I need an ambulance. Someone is hurt badly in the bathroom," he says.

Phil's phone rings. "Dad, where are you?" His son, Michael, asks.

"Surprise holiday for your mother," he answers.

"But she's here crying."

"I can't help it if she would rather have sex with someone else than Costa Rica. I'll send you proof." Phil hangs up and sends his son the voice recording of the last conversation his father had with his mother.

"Come on, sunblock!" Katie says. This is the first time Phil's seen her body, and he's impressed, but she has kept her word and stayed in a separate room, and their friendship has stayed platonic.

"It's a hard life, but someone has to do it," Phil says as he picks up the sunscreen bottle. Phil's phone rings again. "Yes, Michael?"

"It's me, Phil," a sad-sounding Sophia says. Phil wasn't ready to talk to her yet, and he didn't know what to say. "I guess we are even now, with you going away with Kathline," she adds after a little silence.

"Even? How are we even? Kathline and I are in separate rooms. I will not sleep with another person until our divorce is final. I'm going to hang up now, and I suggest you listen to that recording properly and then tell me we are even." Phil hangs up without waiting for a reply.

My phone is silent for the rest of the day. The only message is from Marley, Phil's daughter. "Dad, Mum listened to the recording, and something broke inside her. She's been sedated by the doctor; I'll call you in the morning."

The next couple of days were quiet. Katie kept Phil occupied by going to the beach or pool area. They went out to dinner each night and had breakfast each morning. Many men asked her to dance, but she didn't leave his side. They danced, and occasionally, he would smile and forget his worries for that moment. Nights are the worst when he is alone, and yes, Katie has totally respected that. She holds his hand and shows Phil her love, which is all she can do at this moment. Phil thinks and realises he has never felt this from anyone. Unconditional is the only word he can think of. She has asked for nothing and given so much. He's not stupid and knows what she wants, but the respect she has shown both him and his dead marriage has impressed him.

It's coming to the end of the two weeks, and they are lying next to each other. I feel Katie turn over; she hits me lazily. "Cream." Phil thinks it's the only word she knows at times.

He kneels up and notices she is face up. He pauses for a second and then starts with her legs. "Okay, before we leave, I've got to ask. What's the full story?" He says, knowing the answer but needing to hear it. The last time was the night of the Christmas party.

"With what?" She asks, suddenly more aware.

"You know. Everything, you, me, this whole mess, what do you want out of this? I feel I've calmed down enough and can listen without becoming a emotional wreck."

"You are what I want, but I will not take you. If you go back to Sophia then so be it, and I will resign myself to not having you. I admit this has given me a glimmer of light, but I would be fooling myself and setting myself up for a lot of heartache if I believed it would be as simple as just being here." She stops for a second as Phil's hands move up. "You have a fantastic touch."

"I try, but carry on."

She takes a breath to think what she wants to say. "When we first met in Daddy's office, you smiled, and that didn't change when Daddy introduced you. All through the summer, when I worked in different areas, you always treated me like one of the workforce and not the owner's daughter. You spoke to me like an adult and talked to my eyes and not my bust, even though I tried dressing more sexily for you. I couldn't help it; I fell in love with you. When I went off to University, I tried to rationalise it as a teenage crush. At first, it was easy. I attracted a lot of interest, but then I started comparing those guys to you, and none of them measured up. If I felt horny, I would find some stud to scratch my itch, but I would fantasise that it was you pumping away. I worked every holiday to be close to you, and not because I was being industrious." Katie sat up and grabbed the bottle of water. "You can keep going," she says because I had stopped to listen to her. Lying back down, she continues.

"When you left, I only went back during the summer when Daddy asked me. Then, I was restricted to company events to get my Phil fix. Instead of making my love wane, it seemed to intensify. I passed my business and accounting degrees and then tried to carry on with my life; I dated and even thought I had found a reasonable substitute until I found him in bed with my best friend." She smiles at the memory. "He even had the cheek to blame me, saying that I put up walls between us. I guess I still had you taking up residence in my heart. There's only room for one in there."

"So what's your story on what's happened in the last few months?"

"I was in the meeting when Daddy put a team together for the Arguile account, and I saw the look of satisfaction on Fuckwits face. I also didn't see the usual disdain on Sophia's face."

Katie opened her legs a little as Phil's hands moved to the top of her legs. She was a little distracted, so he stopped. "Then what happened?"

"Oh, ummm. My office is across from the room they used for the six-person team. I watched over the weeks, and on the fourth week, Sophia and Fuckwit left together. I thought about calling you, but I didn't have much information other than they left together. That Thursday, I was in the booth we shared, and I saw them come in. They had dinner and left separately. As I walked out, I saw Fuckwit drive off, so I knew they had gone their separate ways. Then, a couple of weeks later, you called, and the rest, as they say, is history." Phil starts massaging the sunscreen into her stomach. He can see the disappointment. "Can I ask you a question?" She asks, biting her bottom lip.