Watching - Full

Story Info
The fuller story.
8.6k words
4.38
39.6k
53
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 04/09/2024
Created 03/01/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bamo68
Bamo68
790 Followers

Welcome to the extended version of Watching.

I wasn't totally happy with the way the 750-word story panned out, so I have done the full-length version. Please don't expect me to do this to the others; it was just for my literal satisfaction.

I will leave it up to you to read the short version or not. This story does not involve sex, and all the people mentioned are over 18.

As always, I must thank my editors, Ian and Jeff, who have given their time to check my scrawl. All mistakes, however, are ultimately mine, and I hope any mistakes don't take anything away from the storyline.

So grab your glass or cup of whatever, sit back, relax, and enjoy, but always remember it's not real.

******

"Good morning, Symons, Symons and Symons. HR, how can I help you?" Kathline Symons asks.

"Hey, Katie."

Kathline smiles. "Phil, how are you? Not seen you since the summer barbee," she gushes. The truth is that Kathline has been dreading a call from Phil. She takes a breath to calm her sudden nerves. "So, what can I do for our COO's husband?"

"Well, Katie." She smiles to herself. Phil is the only man alive who can get away with calling her Katie. "I've got the opportunity to take a vacation to Costa Rica. The Christmas bash is on the 18th, and I have the chance to go on a two-week vacation. A couple I know were going but can't for personal reasons. The only problem is that we will need to leave the party a little early and fly out that night."

"Sounds great, and Sophia has said how you've had a busy year."

"Yeah, I must admit, I need the rest, and with the year we've had, I think our marriage needs it," Phil says. "Anyway, will there be any problem taking her away for two weeks?"

Kathline is momentarily shocked at that news. "Not this end. I will check with Daddy, but Christmas is normally quiet," she finally gets out.

Again, Kathline takes a breath, and there's a moment of silence. Phil picks up on the tension; he has known Kathline for years. He used to be Symons, Symons and Symons's accountant before starting out on his own. Back then, it was called Symons and Symons.

"Katie, is everything okay?" He asks.

"Phil, is there any chance you can meet me at The Steakhouse at five thirty? I have something I need to talk to you about."

"Umm, no problem. Sophia is working a little late tonight, anyway, and I can skip the gym. Are you okay? What do you want to talk about?"

"I'll tell you when I see you," Katie says, feeling her mouth go dry.

"Okay, I'll see you at five thirty," Phil says, hanging up, feeling his friend needs him.

Kathline is sitting in a booth that is private enough not to be seen but has a view of a couple of booths that she needs to keep an eye on. She's already got Phil a drink and waits impatiently, tapping her nails on her phone. The phone vibrates, telling her Phil is just walking in. Katie smiled at herself, "Right on time." She say to herself and steps out of the booth so Phil can find her. She sees him walk around the bar and waves when he looks in her direction.

The truth is she has loved this man for years. She's tried to date other men, but she compares every one of them to him, and they just don't measure up. She had resigned to being single, but with a chink in the armour of their marriage, she had a renewed optimism.

At six feet and two-twenty well-built pounds, the thirty-seven-year-old doesn't look like the typical accountant. He works out three or four times a week, usually tonight. It's not just his body but his attitude. He's calm and controlled, with quiet confidence. He is very proficient at Krav Maga, and one of the four nights is at the local martial arts institute.

When Phil gets to the table, he waits for Kathline to sit before sitting across from her. "Hey Katie, you had to pick the darkest corner. Are you afraid to be seen with this old man?"

"Come on, Phil, you're only eight years older than me; you're not that old."

He smiles at her and then picks up the menu. They scan the menu, but Phil already knows he's going for The All-American Steak and fries, the house special. He drops the menu and picks up the bottle of Bud in front of him.

"What can I get you, folks?" The server asks. They order, and Phil asks for another Bud.

The two talk for a while, catching up. Ever since Katie started at the family firm, they have got on well. They usually end up together at one point, chatting at company events, and seem natural together.

Their meals turn up, and there's a comfortable silence while they eat. Phil can't wait until they have both finished before he asks. "So, Katie. I know you haven't got me here to catch up." Katie wipes her face with the napkin and smiles nervously. She moves to the end of her side and looks across the restaurant. She nods to Phil to take a look. He turns and leans out to look. "What's Fuckwit doing here?" He says, obviously annoyed by his presence.

They move back out of sight. "You know what he does each year, and we watch the results at the Christmas party?"

"Yeah?" Phil answers, looking confused.

"You remember I told you he had a go at Sophia, but she rebuffed him?"

"Yeah." Phil now doesn't like where he thinks this is going.

"Phil, please don't hate me for this, but he's tried again and this time he's got somewhere." Kathie looks at her phone. "Okay, look again," she says, knowing that Sophia always walks in six sharp.

Phil looks again and sees his wife, Sophia Johnston of nineteen years, walking towards Fuckwit's booth. He watches her take a seat. There's no kiss or any contact, but she's still here when she said she would be somewhere else. "Shit," he says, trying to think.

"I'm sorry to be the one to have to show you this, but I knew you wouldn't believe me if I told you on the phone."

"You're right there. Seeing is believing. I think I've lost my appetite." Phil's mind is in a spin, as he pushes his plate away. He needs to focus, but his stomach wants to throw up what he's eaten. Phil takes a deep breath, trying to gain control. He looks at his worried friend opposite. Phil reaches over and squeezes her hand. "I won't hold it against you, Katie. I need to decide whether to intervene or not. I need the full story. How long has this been going on?"

"They got put together on an account about three months ago. It took Kelvin four weeks to get her to have a drink and something to eat after work. I come in here each Thursday before going home and noticed them. It's developed into every Thursday. There's nothing intimate that I've seen, but I've seen this before. It's the way he works his way in. Everything is innocent until it's not."

"What would you do?" That is the only question Phil can think of.

"Wow, the million-dollar question. I don't know Phil. I guess if I were her, I would like the benefit of the doubt. At the moment, it's just him doing what he does. Maybe she's playing him; after all, she's been there when we've taken the mick." Phil can see Katie is trying to put a positive spin on it.

"I guess we can watch and wait." He has an idea. "Let's do a little test," Phil picks up his phone and messages his wife.

Phil - 'Hi, are you still at work?'

They watch her pick her phone up and reply.

Sophia - 'Yes, will be done soon.'

Phil: 'Great, I'm hungry. I'm on my way to The Steakhouse. I fancy one of their specials. Do you want to meet up?' He shows Katie before sending it, and she puts her hand over her mouth. They then watch a sudden panic.

Sophia - 'No, thanks, I've eaten.'

They both leave their meals and some money before rushing out the side door.

"I guess that tells us that they feel they are doing something they shouldn't," Phil says. "Same time next week, Katie?"

Katie smiles at me. "It's a date, and if you need to talk, don't hesitate to phone me. If I hear anything, I will let you know."

"Thanks, you're a good friend, Katie. I will hang around just in case Sophia comes in looking for me."

Katie gathers her things and makes a quick exit out of the door to the car park.

It's half past seven when Phil walks into the house. Sophia is sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a glass of wine. "Got one for me?" He asks.

She tuts but reaches over and gets her husband a glass. She pours Phil a large one. "Anything else, sir," she says, not happy.

Phil sits and looks at her without blinking. "What has happened to us?" He says.

Sophia didn't expect that. Phil was never a direct person. "What do you mean?" The colour is draining from her skin.

"I mean that for the past year, you've not been yourself. You've been short with me or picked an argument. Nothing I do is right. At first, I put it down to the fact we will be empty nesters next year, but I need to know if I'm doing something to piss you off."

Phil's language takes Sophia by surprise. Phil never uses profanity in front of her. "I don't know what you are talking about. I haven't...."

"You have," He cuts in. The problem is that if it doesn't change soon, it will damage our marriage. The way you talk to me sometimes is degrading and isn't the way you treat someone you are supposed to love." Phil takes a large mouthful of wine.

Sophia is shocked and looks like she is searching her mind for a comeback. She comes up with nothing, but equally, she can't see she's been particularly bad. "Sorry, Phil, I don't see it. Where have I treated you badly or degraded you?"

He looks at her in disbelief. "You've got to be kidding," he retorts. Then Phil lists a number of times, including a time in the supermarket when he picked up the wrong brand of detergent, and she threw it on the floor. Then she chastised him for going to get a shop assistant and apologising for the mess.

Sophia sits quietly, again digesting what has been said. It doesn't look like she expected Phil to come up with so many examples that she couldn't argue against. She even winces at the recollection of a couple of incidents, but instead of apologising, she gets up and walks toward the stairs. The next thing Phil hears is Sophia slamming the bedroom door.

Phil rubs his face in annoyance. He's still not sure what to do. He loves his wife, and up to this year, you could argue that they've had a very happy marriage. Phil can't think of what has changed, but something has to give, and even without this extra thing with fuckwit, they are heading for a separate future.

Phil walks into the family room. Both their children are out. Marley, the youngest, is never home, and the oldest, Michael, is in his first year at university. Phil picks his laptop up and spends a while ordering some mini sound recorders from Radio Shack. When he does finally drag himself to bed. Sophia is asleep or pretending to be, either way, Phil is happy he doesn't have to talk to her.

Friday morning, Sophia is up and out before Phil is out of the shower. He sits drinking his morning coffee, trying to come up with some sort of plan.

His daughter, Marley, comes down. She gives her dad a hug. "Morning Daddy," she says. "Mum already gone?"

"Morning, Pumpkin. Yes, looks like she had an early start," he says not looking too convincing. Marley looks at her dad, but it's too early for that sort of conversation.

The recording devices arrive Saturday morning, and Phil puts one inside his wife's handbag and another couple around the house while Sophia is on the phone with her mother. She still hasn't mentioned Thursday night's conversation.

Phil can't believe his luck. On Sunday night, they are watching a film in which the wife cheats on the husband. "I could never do that," Sophia says out of nowhere.

"Well, if you did, you would be looking for another partner," He replies, staring at the TV.

Sophia turns the sound down. "You would walk away from nineteen years and two children?"

"Nineteen years, I will always be here for the kids," Phil says. He can feel Sophia's brain working. "They are old enough to choose where they want to be. Michael is at University, and Marley is in her senior year."

"Yeah, but just to walk away," Sophia says, sounding amazed by how emotionless her husband is.

"Well, I couldn't stay. Think about it: if the trust is gone, it doesn't matter how much love is there; the worry of what you are doing would make life together impossible. Leaving would be the easier option. Look at Fuckwit at the Christmas parties. How many of the couples he got in between are still together?"

"None, but both marriages were in trouble anyway."

"Yeah, but him doing what he did gave them their final kick. Talk about an ass," Phil watches Sophie's reaction out of the corner of his eye. "Anyway, I'm sure you would never fall for his bullshit; you're way too intelligent for that," He adds, turning the knife.

The next Thursday, Phil tells Katie about the problems Sophia and he have been going through. She's a good listener and tries to encourage him to give Sophia the benefit of the doubt. Sophia's only crime at the moment is to have dinner with fuckwit. The main problem for Phil is the lies. The voice recordings don't show much, but they pick up all the little compliments and comments, Fuckwit comes up with. It would be funny if it weren't aimed at his wife.

Weeks go by, and Phil keeps monitoring the voice recorders. The Christmas party is fast approaching. Katie and Phil continue to watch the pair get steadily closer. Last week was the first time Fuckwit brought up the Christmas party, but at first, Sophia put him down. He then goes through what they have discussed between themselves at work and in The Steakhouse and says Phil doesn't deserve her. At this time, she is having an emotional affair, and Phil is thinking the only way around it would be counselling. Fuckwit reaches across and touches her arm in the first bit of contact they've seen. Sophia doesn't move away and places her hand on top.

The recordings are more interesting, well, heart-breaking, for Phil. Phil can feel Sophia's resolve deteriorating. They now know nothing happens in work time because the recordings show there's always someone else in the room, and the only time they have real personal conversations is in the booth at The Steakhouse. Phil has tried to act normal at home but finds it difficult. When they make love, Phil thinks he's been over-passionate and has increased the length and amount of times that they have sex. Phil wonders if Sophia is enjoying the sex more, but it hasn't changed her Thursday evening after-work rendezvous, and Fuckwit is working hard to get into her knickers at the Christmas party.

"Phil, I've been wondering. What are you going to do if she tells you that she's sleeping with Fuckwit?"

"I need to lay everything out so she knows what she's risking. I will make it clear that it will be the end of our marriage and then tell her that if she doesn't leave with me, then we are over."

"And the holiday?"

"I will be going alone. I will need two weeks away from her to think about my future."

"Even if she sleeps with him?"

"Oh, she won't be sleeping with him. Why should I be in pain and her having the time of her life." Phil says very flatly.

"But you're not going to be there."

"I know, but fuckwit will be spending a few days recovering in hospital after he has an accident in the bathroom."

"Crap, you wouldn't." Katie looks at him amazed. "How?" That is all she can ask.

"I think the less you know, the better, but Sophia needs to tell me. I need to hear the words out of her mouth. I will give Sophia every chance to change her mind. "

There's a pause. Katherine is nervous; she doesn't know what Phil's reaction will be to her next question. "Sooooo, I was thinking." Katie plays with the ice in her drink. "If Sophia isn't on the plane with you, can I?"

"What? You want to come to Costa Rica with me?" Phil can't believe she asked that and looks at her, waiting for a reaction.

"Yes, I don't want you going alone, and we will have separate rooms and all. I just don't think you should go through this alone, Phil." Katie has thought long and hard about how to ask this question. She concludes she needs to stay on the friend's side of him. Phil needs a friend more than a lover at this time.

"I guess. You are a good friend, Katie," he replies. Phil is oblivious to anything different being possible.

"Great, I'll pack a case," Katie says, looking happier than she should.

It's the night of the Christmas party, and Phil has placed two cases behind the reception desk. As usual, they have to arrive early, and Sophia has gone straight off to make sure everything is running to schedule.

Phil sees Katie arrive with her father. He spots Phil and heads over. Katie is stopped by one of the managers, and she's side-tracked to sort something out. "Good evening, Phillip."

"Good evening, Mr Symons; how have you been," Phil says, stretching out a hand to his ex-boss.

"When will you start using my Christian name, Phil?"

"Sorry, Harry, old habits, and you are still my wife's boss."

"Where is Sophia? Have you managed to keep Costa Rica a surprise?"

"Yes, it was difficult, and I've hidden our suitcases behind the reception desk. As for where, I have no idea; the last time I saw her, your wife was whisking her off."

"You know, it's a shame you left. Working with the wife has been the best decision we made."

Phil smiles. "The two-and-a-half million profit doesn't hurt either," he says, and they both laugh.

"It does soften the blow, I suppose. Anyway, I will see you in there." The older man walks off, and Phil's eye is taken by the lift pinging and Fuckwit walking out. Their eyes meet, and Fuckwit instantly has a knowing smirk; it falters for a second when Phil returns it with interest.

He goes in and finds his usual place at the bar. Sophia comes over, and Phil hands her a drink. "Right, everything is set. Dinner will be announced in a bit."

Phil's eyes fall on Fuckwit, and Sophia looks in the direction he is. He can't help it and says, "I wonder who the gullible sap is that has fallen for his bullshit this year? One day, he will come up against a husband that will put him in hospital."

"His name is Kelvin, and he'll be safe around you then," Sophia says bluntly, recovering and adding a dig herself.

The truth is that Sophia has never seen Phil fight anyone. He's never shouted at her in anger. Over the last few months, Phil's wondered if he's been too soft. They debated things and talked things through, but nothing that would be deemed a fight. They never go to bed without a conclusion. Don't get the wrong idea; they've had many disagreements, but usually, one of them can make the other see logic.

When Phil was younger, he was picked on by some bigger and stronger bullies at school. Phil's Papa took him to a friend who taught him a martial art called Krav Maga. It's an incredible way to incapacitate even the largest opponent. In their senior year, the bullies tried it again, and Phil took the lot down a peg or three. He wasn't popular after that; they missed a number of football games, and the team lost heavily.

Dinner is announced, and they make their way hand in hand into the dining room. As usual, the whole downstairs has been hired for the company function, with one hundred forty employees and around one hundred plus ones.

Phil notices Katie glance his way a number of times, and he smiles back. His exterior hides the turmoil inside, and he doesn't eat much of the evening meal, even though it is delicious. "Are you okay, Honey?" Sophia asks, noticing his unusual lack of appetite.

"My stomach is feeling a little strange," Phil says, telling the truth. Sophia seems to ignore what he says and asks. "Will you be having dessert?" He doesn't answer and gets up to use the bathroom.

When Phil walks back around the corner, Sophia is talking to Fuckwit, but quickly moves away when she sees him coming. Phil pretends not to see, and they get back to their seats at the same time. "I said I had an upset stomach," Phil says, looking at the Banoffee pie that's sat in front of him.

Bamo68
Bamo68
790 Followers