All Comments on 'Way Out West'

by Shaima32

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
Eric_ShiftEric_Shiftover 4 years ago
Good one. Nice slow kinda romantic.

My mum was born in Charleville.

She was halfcaste too.

Grew up in a shanty. Not quite a house.

But you've certainly got our speach down pat.

Well done.

MaonaighMaonaighover 4 years ago
Perfect story (again)

As always with your work, Shaima, Way Out West with its very human characters is a perfect example of what good, simple story-telling should be. The early part of the tale, with Elke arriving in Charleville for the first time, was reminiscent of some of the late Neville Shute's novels, especially A Town Like Alice. A worthy addition to your canon.

PS: Hope Dolores didn't upset the animal rights movement when she mashed the mouse spider!

HiddenInTheOpenHiddenInTheOpenover 4 years ago
Great story!

And I loved it, as usual. Thank you for sharing these with us!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Absolutely fantastic

Great story as usual. You never disappoint. Your writing is always a delight to read.

SB

CassieKCassieKover 4 years ago
Where to from here?

Thanks for an interesting story, most readers wouldn’t have a clue about life on a cattle station, the loneliness, the heartbreak, the dust and the flies. These along with those hairy bastards that you mentioned.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this chapter, but I don’t think it can finish here. You need to let us know more about your life in Australia and with Dolores.

I have never been to your part of the bush, I am on a station in the Pilbara in Western Australia, so I can really relate to your situation.

LargoKittLargoKittover 4 years ago
Keepin' it real

Shaima,

I enjoyed discovering the outback and a bit of Danish customs. Your format is smart, making it a bit of a memoir. One might ask, "What real friend would want a memoir that includes some hot and heavy?" But I can imagine a scenario in which a lesbian might sent a letter to an ex who is now a friend and who likes a bit of graphic tease. (A 'can you top this?' correspondence might be a good format for a lively story.)

Curiously, the sex was not as rich as the rest of the story. I think it's because it became a little generic. So I'm taking a note from that. Keep the sex particular. The heart-shaped mole under her left breast. Something unique about her vulva. How she goes nuts from kisses just behind her ears.

Well, I won't try to 'teach grandma how to suck eggs'. You are a master of storytelling. Gotta read some more of yours.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
What happened to the story?

Well, gee.

Was shaping up to be a rather interesting story, but then along came the sex and... It was suddenly all over. The sex was a little bland as well, a little fondle, a few fingers and licks and then it and the story was finished.

Plus the occasional spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and missing letters; I would have forgiven them when under the assumption that the writer was Danish but writing in English, only to discover that she has travelled the world and is now back in Scotland!

Sorry, not trying to lay it on heavy, just trying to give an honest opinion on what I've read. At least this was not a lesbian story written by, and for, a male.

Lexi

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyover 3 years ago
As we just have one path to walk on

There are no crosses or parallels to turn ..... Just decisions and speaking of them there are millions and more of them ..... And layer on down the path we had walked we will may have a view back over the shoulder and may smile may cry out may happy may frustrated but it was just life .... life as it has been thousands of years before christ and will be thousands in the future ..... Yes so true shaima

Bilgerat13Bilgerat13about 2 years ago

For anonymous for 1 year ago;

The point you made about the story being written by a woman not a man is telling and it you've kinda shot yourself in the foot. The sex might have been bland but sex doesn't have to be all hot and sweaty and in graphic detail, it happenned, good, now we're left with the meat of the tale, a damaged young woman trying to heal herself in a foreign land, dealing with unexpected issues such as racism.

I found it an enjoyable read, and the bit about travelling 150km to see something on a pole made me chuckle after having seen the Tourist.

So five stars for something different.

Bilgerat13

UncertainTUncertainT4 months ago

I loved this story!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous