Weekend at Bernie's

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But a chance to write was a chance to write, so she took the job. The original author, a man, wrote under the house pseudonym 'Bridget Collins', in the belief that women would be more likely to read such a novel if it had been written by another woman. So, to preserve her own anonymity for when she became a serious writer, Bernie had continued with it.

Much to her amazement, not only was the book well received, it out sold anything else the publishing house put out that year. A second effort soon followed, then a third. There were now nineteen books on the second shelf, all of which had been best sellers.

"It might not be what I originally set out to do," Bernie concluded, "but it has paid quite well."

'Amazing,' Luke thought.

"But I'm sure that was more than you really wanted to know," Bernie again smiled. "I was thinking that the stereo could go here," she offered, changing the subject to the matter at hand as she pointed out an empty bookcase.

"That would be fine," Luke said after taking a quick look at it, "as long as you don't mind me drilling a few small holes so I can pass the wires through it."

"Drill away," Bernie replied.

"Great, let me just get my tools and then I'll start moving the boxes in," Luke answered.

"Can I give you a hand?" Bernie asked.

"No, I got it," Luke replied, thinking it was nice that she offered.

"Then can I at least get you something to drink while you work?" Bernie then asked, "Coffee, tea, or maybe something to eat?"

"Coffee would be great," Luke said, not wanting to ask for food, even though he'd only had a breakfast muffin before setting out this morning.

It took about fifteen minutes for Luke to move everything inside and another twenty-five to open and inspect all of the components. Add to that another ten to drill a couple of holes, but once that was done, he was ready to put it all together. That was the easiest part, as he had done it so often, he was sure he could assemble the system in his sleep.

A basic system really only needed three parts, a receiver, a turntable and speakers. The TX-5220 also had an amplifier as well as a cassette tape deck, all of which were joined by a set of cables and wires which Luke was careful to work out of sight once he was done. Finally, he ran the power cable to the closest outlet and he was ready to test it.

He started with the tuner, to which he had attached a flexible antenna, one affixed to the wall behind the bookcase with a couple of small nails. Not familiar with the local radio stations, and knowing that not all the New York City ones reached out this far, it took a bit of searching to find a strong signal, but once he did, the sound came out loud and clear. It was a news channel on the AM band, so he then switched over to FM and searched for a music station.

Luke found one that played old rock and roll, cranking up the volume to test the speakers. He went a bit too far and heard the single pane windows actually shake from the vibrations, causing him to quickly dial it back.

"Sorry," he sheepishly said.

"Shake, Rattle and Roll," Bernie replied with a grin. "Bill Haley and the Comets. It was meant to be played loud."

"You know that music?" a surprised Luke asked.

"I was probably not much older than you when that first came out," Bernie answered. "You don't think I'm too old to rock, do you?"

"Of course not," Luke immediately said, hoping he hadn't offended her and realizing at the same time that Bernie was older than he originally thought.

"I'm just kidding," Bernie laughed. "I know that most people your age think anyone my age only listens to acts like Perry Como or Tony Bennett. But some of us were there when Rock N' Roll was born."

Luke had never really thought about that, but knew both singers she'd mentioned as performers his parents listened to.

"I guess all that's left is to test the turntable," Luke said, putting the faux pas behind him. "I have a test album out in the truck," he added as he realized that was the one thing that he'd forgotten to bring in.

"No need, I have my own albums," Bernie offered.

She moved over to a low cabinet with twin sliding doors, pushing one of them open to reveal a row of record albums. Thumbing through about a half dozen, she finally selected one and, rising back to her feet, handed it to Luke.

He looked down at the cover and saw that it was a collection by some group called 'the Boston Pops,' which he had never heard of. From the photo in the cover art, he guessed that it was some sort of classical music, but when he lowered the tone arm down on it and it began to play, the composition was unlike anything he had heard in music class back in school. He only played it for a bit, but he had to admit he'd liked what he'd heard.

"Like I said, I love Rock, but I need something a bit more relaxing when I'm writing," Bernie explained.

"Oh, I almost forgot the tape deck," Luke suddenly realized, reaching into his pocket for the test tape he had remembered.

It only took another minute to ascertain that was working perfectly as well.

"Well, it looks like you're all ready to go," Luke finally said as he removed the cassette and, after putting it back in the case, slipped it back into his pocket.

"This is all so much," Bernie said as she stepped over and took a closer look at the myriad lights and knobs on each component. "I told Margaret that I didn't need anything so complicated. I'd have been just as happy with a regular record player."

"I guess she just wanted you to have the best," Luke said.

Bernie's reply was simply an even broader smile.

"So, let me clean up this mess and I'll get out of your hair," Luke said, not that there was much left as he'd already bundled up the crushed boxes as he went along.

"So soon?" Bernie asked, then added, "That's a shame, because I've really enjoyed meeting you."

"I have too," Luke replied, surprised that he had gotten along so well with the older woman.

"But I understand, it's Saturday and I'm sure you have other things you need to do," Bernie said.

"Actually, this was my only delivery for the day," Luke said, thinking she'd been talking about work, "but Mr. Kaminski did say that I should come back to the store to finish up the day if I got done here early."

Glancing at the clock on the wall, Bernie saw that it was only ten to twelve, so by any definition it was still early.

"That's not really fair," she offered, "especially after you gave up your Saturday to come all the way out here and do him a favor. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from an asshole like him."

As much as he might have agreed with the sentiment, Luke didn't comment on it, instead offering that he worked every Saturday since he took college classes during the week.

"I'm sure your girlfriend loves that," Bernie remarked.

"I don't have a girlfriend," Luke said, "at least not a steady one. Between work and school, I really don't have that much free time."

"That sucks," Bernie observed, surprising Luke with her use of the term. It wasn't like he'd never heard it before, just not from someone her age. He again didn't reply verbally, but instead gave a shrug of his shoulders as if to say, 'what can you do?'

"You know, I just had a thought," Bernie said as, not taking the time to explain what it might be, she stepped over to the old rotary phone on her desk and started dialing.

Luke wondered who she was calling and was fearful for a moment that she might be calling Mad Mike to give him a piece of her mind - something that might very well come back to bite him in the ass later. Once she began to talk, however, he realized that he was just a bit off the mark.

"Hi Margaret, it's me," he heard Bernie say. "Yes, he finished everything and I just wanted to call and thank you. I also wanted to say how impressed I was with the young man they sent out here; he really knew his stuff and was quite professional. Too often good work like his goes unacknowledged."

Luke couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, but whatever Mrs. Kaminski was saying, it seemed to please Bernie.

"A bonus?" Bernie said. "Now that you mention it, I think that would be a fine idea. Nothing shows appreciation like a little something extra in your paycheck."

She paused another moment to listen, then smiled even broader, as if another thought just occurred to her.

"Oh, and as long as I have you on the line, I wonder if I could ask you a little favor," she continued. "There are a few things I need help with around the house that are too big for me to lift or move; do you think I could keep Luke for a few more hours to help me? No, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Great, so you'll let Mike know he's not going to be coming back to the store today. Thanks, Sis, love you."

Luke watched as she hung up the receiver and glanced out the window for a second. He felt a slight disappointment, in that she had acted almost in the same way as Mike had, simply assuming that he'd have no problem in staying to help her. He actually wouldn't have minded doing so, but still would've liked to have been asked first.

"Well, that takes care of that," Bernie said, seeming quite pleased with herself.

"Okay," Luke said, demonstrating the same reluctant acceptance he'd felt the night before. "What do you need me to help with?"

"Not a blessed thing," Bernie grinned, "but they don't have to know that, do they? But at least now you don't have to go back to the store."

Luke couldn't help but smile, thinking that had been a nice thing for her to have done.

-=-=-=-=-

"You know, it's almost lunchtime," Bernie said, glancing again at the wall clock. "Why don't I make us up a couple of sandwiches before you head back to the city? Nothing fancy, but it'll at least give you something in your stomach before the long drive."

"I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble," Luke said, even though at the mention of food his stomach reminded him that he hadn't had much in the way of breakfast.

"No trouble at all," Bernie insisted. "I'd be making one for myself anyway, so what's one more?"

Luke finally agreed, thanking her once again. Bernie then suggested that since it had turned into such a nice day, they should eat out on the back porch, adding that he should go out there now and she'd join him in a few.

"I think you'll find the view rather nice," she said as he headed for the sliding door that led out to the porch. "At least, I've always found it so."

Standing on the edge of the steps that led down from the porch, Luke decided that nice was a bit of an understatement in regard to the view. Spectacular would be a far better description. It was hard to believe that only a few hundred yards up the road was an active community, because from where he stood, it would've been easier to imagine he was on a deserted island.

The actual beachfront behind the house was really only a bit more than an acre in size, a small oasis surrounded by rocky shoals, an obstacle that had limited development this far down. In easy walking distance rested the vastness of the Atlantic, its calm waters dotted with a few scattered fishing and pleasure boats in the distance. With midday having just passed, the sun had reached enough of its zenith to cloak the porch in comfortable shade while still bathing everything around it in its warmth.

Built onto the back of the house behind him was a raised wooden platform covered with a thick cushion and oversized pillows, creating a sort of daybed, with room enough for two. Luke imagined that on warm summer nights, people might actually sleep out here to enjoy the ocean breeze.

Directly in front of that was a small table built of the height and material, upon which Bernie set a tray of sandwiches and drinks when she joined him on the porch a couple of minutes later.

"I'm assuming you're old enough to drink," she said, indicating the frosted bottles of beer on the tray. "If not, I won't tell anyone. Of course, if you prefer something else, I'm sure I can find..."

"I'm old enough," Luke replied, "and a beer is fine."

"Well then, help yourself," Bernie said as, taking one of the beers and a sandwich, she dropped down on one end of the cushion.

Luke hesitated for a moment, looking around to see if there was another chair, but none were to be found.

"Oh, come on, there's plenty of room," Bernie said, indicating the wide empty space next to her. "I promise I won't bite," she added with a laugh.

Deciding he was being rather silly, Luke finally sat down and helped himself to a sandwich and a beer. Both, he quickly found, were exceptionally good. As they ate, and for more than a half hour afterward, they laid back against the large pillows and talked.

Luke normally had trouble talking to new people in social settings, especially women. Yet in no time at all, he and Bernie were going back and forth with an ease usually found among old friends. It was as if, being strangers, it was easier to be honest. Despite being of different generations and living in different worlds, they developed a comfortable rapport, one that carried the conversation from casual topics to ones more private.

In response to Bernie's inquiry, Luke had initially talked about his job and the business courses he was taking at Brooklyn College. Bernie in turn shared what it was like to be a successful writer, even if most people didn't know her real name or would ever recognize her if they'd passed her on the street.

Moving on to more of her personal life, Bernie stated that, unlike her older sister, she'd never had any interest in being someone's wife, or even having a long-term relationship. At least one that would preclude her from taking advantage of whatever opportunities life might present. She had always made her own decisions and was not about to let anyone take that away from her.

Luke, in turn, revealed that his own love life was sporadic at best. He'd dated in high school but had never been able to keep a steady girlfriend. A situation that had followed him to college. Between work and school, there never seemed enough time to form a lasting relationship.

The last girl who could generously be called his girlfriend had broken up with him soon after he'd gotten the job at Mad Mike's. His need to work every weekend in order to have weekdays for school, even during the summer, had quickly taken its toll. So now he settled for the occasional casual date, even though few ever led to anything serious.

"Have you ever been with a girl?" Bernie unexpectedly asked, the implication of 'been with' being clear.

Luke had been taking a swig from the beer bottle and almost choked as he spit it out of his mouth. That was the last question he ever expected to be asked, especially by someone Bernie's age. Yet, that didn't prevent him from answering, and with an ease that surprised him.

"Yes," he said. " I'm not that pathetic."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that," Bernie apologized.

Luke had been with a girl, two in fact in the last year. Both, however, had been unexceptional and all too forgettable. He'd lost his virginity a month after graduation, an accomplishment hardly notable, given that Martha Harwood, the girl who had taken it, had a neighborhood wide reputation as being an easy lay. It didn't take much more than dinner and a movie to get her legs open. And the other had been in the back of his van with Tina Santino, a co-worker at the store, an encounter that had been so brief as to have been almost embarrassing.

"I just meant that you're still young," Bernie said, "and I'm sure things will get better for you. After all, not only are you pretty cute, but from what I've seen, you have a really winning personality."

'Oh yeah, that's exactly what girls look for,' Luke thought. 'Nothing makes a girl want to drop her pants like a winning personality.'

Deciding that the best thing to do was change the subject, Luke attempted to do so.

"It must be nice to live so close to the water," he said.

"Oh, it is," Bernie replied. "I love to swim and barely a day goes by that I don't do so."

"I'm lucky if I can get to the beach once or twice all summer," Luke lamented, "and Coney Island or Brighton Beach is nothing like this."

"Well, if you like, you could take a dip right now," Bernie suggested, "unless you believe that old wives' tale about not going in the water for at least an hour after you eat."

"Nah, I know that's not true," Luke grinned, "but there is a little matter of not having a bathing suit."

"You could always go without one," Bernie replied, "I mean who's going to see you - other than me, I mean," she added with a mischievous smile.

"You mean skinny dipping?" Luke asked.

"Sure, I do it all the time," Bernie confirmed. "It's exhilarating."

"I don't think I'd have the nerve," Luke blushed.

"Oh, it doesn't take any nerve," Bernie smiled. "In fact, if it would make you feel any better, I'd be happy to join you."

A blank expression filled Luke's face, one that made Bernie think he didn't believe her.

"It's actually quite liberating," Bernie said, "the sun against your skin and the cool water. You can't imagine how invigorating that feels."

Actually, Luke was doing his best tamp down his imagination and was failing spectacularly. The mental vision of the woman beside him cavorting naked on the beach was having a profound and quite noticeable effect on him. One that hadn't gone unnoticed.

"Then again, maybe you can," Bernie smiled as she looked down at the expansion in his slacks.

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

"For what," she laughed, "for a normal reaction? If anything, I should take that as a compliment."

Despite her nonchalant reaction to his erection, Luke still felt a little embarrassed.

"You know, if you don't feel like swimming, there are other ways we could pass the rest of the afternoon," Bernie offered.

Luke looked up as if to ask for clarification, only to find he was looking in the wrong direction. A fact driven home when he suddenly felt the press of Bernie's hand against the bulge in his pants.

'Oh shit!' Luke thought as her fingers closed around the outline of his cock.

"Hmm, impressive," Bernie smiled, tracing the length of his manhood with her index finger.

Too stunned to react, Luke sat transfixed as the auburn-haired woman brought the rest of her fingers into play, caressing his cock with their tips, causing it to grow even harder.

"Like I said, there are other ways we could pass the afternoon," she repeated, "that is, of course, if you're interested."

"Oh, definitely interested," Luke stammered, part of him still unable to believe this was actually happening.

"I thought you might be," Bernie replied as she applied just a bit more pressure against his cock.

Bernie leaned closer, her right breast pressing against his upper arm as she took her free hand and slipped it around the back of his head. With only the thin material of her undershirt between their bare flesh, the simple touch was enough to send an excited warmth surging through Luke.

A warmth that flared into a conflagration as Bernie pulled his lips to hers, kissing him deeply. A move that surprised Luke more than her embrace of his cock, but not so much that he failed to open his mouth when he felt her tongue pressing against it.

By her second kiss he was more prepared, and by the third, was reciprocating with equal intensity. That he was making out with a woman only a few years younger than his mother never occurred to him, only the thought that she really knew how to kiss. For perhaps the first time in Luke's life the distinction between a girl and a woman seemed quite clear.

They kissed for a few long minutes, during which Bernie retained her hold on his cock, continuing to stroke it, albeit at a slower pace, the effect of which was no less stimulating.