Weird Tales, Volume 1, Number 3, May, 1923: The unique magazine

Story Info
141.2k words
10
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

3, MAY, 1923 ***

Transcriber’s Note: Stories that were originally split over pages, with adverts and/or other stories in between, have been recombined.

[Illustration]

FREE FINGER PRINT OUTFIT

To those who enroll right now I will give this complete Finger Print Outfit absolutely free. It is a regular expert’s working outfit—the same kind that I use myself—the same kind that you will use when you are ready to accept a position as a Finger Print Expert. This offer is for a limited time only, so you must hurry if you want to take advantage of it. Send in the coupon today for full information.

BE A FINGER PRINT EXPERT

Learn at Home—30 Minutes a Day

Only thirty minutes a day for a short time. That is all that is necessary. I am a Finger Print Expert and I know just what is required. I give you just the kind of training that prepares you to be a Finger Print Expert—that assures you of a position just as soon as you have finished my course. The Finger Print Expert is always in demand. You need not give up your present occupation while studying this fascinating Profession. Get into this big paying profession right now.

More Men Needed Right Now

The professional Finger Print Expert is always in demand. I have so many positions waiting to be filled right now that I am guaranteeing to place every man as soon as he finishes my course and I am backing up this remarkable offer with a $1000 bank guarantee deposited with the Phillips State Bank of Chicago. Let me make you a Finger Print Expert and start you in a big paying position.

Send Coupon Today

The big opportunity you have been waiting for is here. Remember you have a position waiting for you as soon as you have finished this course. Also to every student that I accept now I will give absolutely free a complete Finger Print Outfit as illustrated above.

Besides, a valuable course for Secret Service Intelligence is also given free to all my students. This information itself is worth many times the cost of the complete course. Send coupon today and learn all about it.

U. S. School of Finger Prints 7003 No. Clark St. Room 13-95 Chicago, Ill.

I Guarantee You a Position as soon as you have finished this course. Write today for full information.

U. S. School of Finger Prints, Room 13-95 7003 No. Clark St., Chicago, Ill.

Without any obligations whatsoever please send me full information about your “Guaranteed Position Offer—Free Finger Print Outfit.” Also tell me how I can become a Finger Print Expert.

Name ____________________ Age _____

Address ____________________________

City _________________ State ______

WEIRD TALES

_The Unique Magazine_

EDWIN BAIRD, _Editor_

Published monthly by THE RURAL PUBLISHING CORPORATION, 325 N. Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, Ind. Application made for entry as second-class matter at the postoffice at Indianapolis, Indiana. Single copies, 25 cents. Subscription, $3.00 a year in the United States; $3.50 in Canada. The publishers are not responsible for manuscripts lost in transit. Address all manuscripts and other editorial matters to WEIRD TALES, 854 N. Clark St., Chicago, Ill. The contents of this magazine are fully protected by copyright and publishers are cautioned against using the same, either wholly or in part.

Copyright, 1923, by The Rural Publishing Corporation.

VOLUME 1 25 Cents NUMBER 3

_Contents for May, 1923_

_Nineteen Thrilling Short Stories_ _Two Complete Novelettes_ _Two Two-Part Stories_ _Interesting, Odd and Weird Happenings_

THE MOON TERROR A. G. BIRCH 5 _A Remarkable Novel_

THE SECRET FEAR BY KENNETH DUANE WHIPPLE 22 _A “Creepy” Detective Story_

JUNGLE BEASTS WILLIAM P. BARRON 23 _A Complete Novelette_

THE GOLDEN CAVERNS JULIAN KILMAN 30 _A Condensed Novel_

VIALS OF INSECTS PAUL ELLSWORTH TRIEM 39 _Short Story_

AN EYE FOR AN EYE G. W. CRANE 49 _Short Story_

THE FLOOR ABOVE M. HUMPHREYS 52 _A Short Story with a Horrifying Climax_

PENELOPE VINCENT STARRETT 57 _A Fantastic Tale_

THE PURPLE HEART HERMAN SISK 61 _The Story of a Haunted Cabin_

FELINE BRUCE GRANT 62 _A Whimsical Storiette_

TWO HOURS OF DEATH E. THAYLES EMMONS 64 _A Ghost Story_

MIDNIGHT BLACK HAMILTON CRAIGIE 67 _Short Story_

THE HAUNTED AND THE HAUNTERS BULWER LYTTON 70 _An Old Masterpiece_

THE WHISPERING THING LAURIE McCLINTOCK AND CULPEPER CHUNN 78 _The Conclusion of a Frightful Mystery Novel_

THE DEATH CELL F. K. MOSS 85 _A Weird Short Story_

THE DEVIL PLANT LYLE WILSON HOLDEN 89 _A Story of Ghastly Retribution_

THE THUNDER VOICE F. WALTER WILSON 92 _The Story of a Hairy Monster_

CASE NO. 27 MOLLIE FRANK ELLIS 96 _A Few Minutes in a Madhouse_

THE FINALE WILLIAM MERRIT 99 _A Short Story_

THE CLOSED CABINET 101 _A Story of the Eighteenth Century_

THE EYRIE BY THE EDITOR 113

For advertising space in this magazine apply to Young & Ward, 168 N. Michigan Blvd., Chicago, Ill.

* * * * *

[Illustration: Copy this Sketch]

FREE $80 Drafting Course

There is such an urgent demand for practical, trained Draftsman that I am making this special offer in order to enable deserving, ambitious and bright men to get into this line of work. I will teach you to become a Draftsman and Designer, until you are drawing a salary up to $250.00 a month. You need not pay me for my personal instruction or for the complete set of instruments.

Draftsman’s Pocket Rule Free—To Everyone Sending Sketch

[Illustration: _Send above Sketch and Get This_ Ivorine Pocket Rule _FREE_]

To every person of 16 years or older sending a sketch I am going to mail free and prepaid the Draftsman’s Ivorine Pocket Rule shown here. This will come entirely with my compliments. With it I will send a 6 × 9 book on “Successful Draftsmanship”. If you are interested in becoming a draftsman, if you think you have or may attain drafting ability, sit down and copy this drawing, mailing it to me today, writing your name, and your address and your age plainly on the sheet of paper containing the drawing. There are no conditions requiring you to buy anything. You are under no obligations in sending in your sketch. What I want to know is how much you are interested in drawing and your sketch will tell me that.

_Positions Paying Up to_ $250 and $300 per Month

I am Chief Draftsman of the Engineers’ Equipment Co. and I know that there are thousands of ambitious men who would like to better themselves, make more money and secure faster advancement. Positions paying up to $250 and $300 per month, which ought to be filled by skilled draftsmen, are vacant. I want to find the men who with practical training and personal assistance will be qualified to fill these positions. No man can hope to share in the great coming prosperity in manufacturing and building unless he is properly trained and is able to do first class practical work.

I know that this is the time to get ready. That is why I am making the above offer. I can now take and train a limited number of students personally and I will give to those students a guarantee to give them by mail practical drawing room training until they are placed in a permanent position with a salary up to $250 and $300 per month. You should act promptly on this offer because it is my belief that even though you start now the great boom will be well on by the time you are ready to accept a position as a skilled draftsman. So write to me at once. Enclose sketch or not, as you choose, but find out about the opportunities ahead of you. Let me send you the book “Successful Draftsmanship” telling how you may take advantage of these opportunities by learning drafting at home.

[Illustration: FREE

this $25 Draftsman’s Working Outfit]

These are regular working instruments—the kind I use myself. I give them free to you if you enroll at once. Don’t delay. Send for full information today.

Mail Your Drawing at Once—_and Get Ivorine Pocket Rule Absolutely_ Free!

Ambitious men interested in drafting hurry! Don’t wait! This is your opportunity to get into this great profession. Accept the offer which I am making now. Send in your sketch or request for free book and free Ivorine Pocket Rule.

Chief Draftsman, Engineers’ Equipment Co., 1951 Lawrence Av. Div. 13-95 Chicago

* * * * *

The Cleanest, Yet Most Outspoken, Book Published

There is not a man or woman married or unmarried, who does not need to know every word contained in “Sex Conduct in Marriage.” The very numerous tragedies which occur every day, show the necessity for plain-spokenness and honest discussion of the most vital part of married life.

It is impossible to conceive of the value of the book; it must undoubtedly be read to be appreciated, and it is obviously impossible to give here a complete summary of its contents. The knowledge is not obtainable elsewhere; there is a conspiracy of silence on the essential matters concerning sex conduct, and the object of the author has been to break the barriers of convention in this respect, recognizing as he does that no marriage can be a truly happy one unless both partners are free to express the deepest feelings they have for each other without degrading themselves or bringing into the world undesired children.

[Illustration]

The author is an idealist who recognizes the sacredness of the sex function and the right of children to be loved and desired before they are born. Very, very few of us can say truly that we were the outcome of the conscious desire of our parents to beget us. They, however, were not to blame because they had not the knowledge which would have enabled them to control conception.

Let us, then, see that our own marriage conduct brings us happiness and enjoyment in itself and for our children.

A Book for Idealists by an Idealist

The greatest necessity to insure happiness in the married condition is to know its obligations and privileges, and to have a sound understanding of sex conduct. This great book gives this information and is absolutely reliable throughout.

Dr. P. L. Clark, B. S., M. D., writing of this book says: “As regards sound principles and frank discussion I know no better book on this subject than Bernard Bernard’s ‘Sex Conduct in Marriage.’ I strongly advise all members of the Health School in need of reliable information to read this book.”

“I feel grateful but cheated,” writes one man. “Grateful for the new understanding and joy in living that has come to us, cheated that we have lived five years without it.”

SEX CONDUCT IN MARRIAGE

By BERNARD BERNARD Editor-in-Chief of “Health and Life”

Answers simply and directly, those intimate questions which Mr. Bernard has been called upon to answer innumerable times before, both personally and by correspondence. It is a simple, straightforward explanation, unclouded by ancient fetish or superstition.

A few of the many headings are:—

When the Sex Function Should Be Used. Sex Tragedies in Childhood. The Consummation of Marriage. The Art of a Beautiful Conception. Sex Communion. The Scientific Control of Conception. Sex Fear Destroyed. The Frequency of the Sex Act. The Initiation to Matrimony. Anatomy and Physiology of the Sex Organs. The Spontaneous Expression of Love. Why Women Have Been Subjected. Men Who Marry in Ignorance. Hereditary Passion. Marriage a Joy to the End.

Send your check or money order today for only $1.75 and this remarkable book will be sent postpaid immediately in a plain wrapper.

Health and Life Publications Room 46-333 South Dearborn Street CHICAGO

HEALTH AND LIFE PUBLICATIONS Room 46-333 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, Illinois.

Please send me, in plain wrapper, postpaid, your book. “Sex Conduct in Marriage.” Enclosed $1.75.

Name _________________________

Address ______________________

City _________________________

State ________________________

_The Unique Magazine_

WEIRD TALES

_Edited by Edwin Baird_

VOLUME ONE NUMBER THREE

25c a Copy

MAY, 1923

Subscription $3.00 A YEAR $3.50 IN CANADA

_The Astounding Events in This Remarkable Novel Leave the Reader Breathless with Amazement_

The Moon Terror

_By_ A. G. BIRCH

CHAPTER I.

THE DRUMS OF DOOM.

The first warning of the stupendous cataclysm that befell the earth in the third decade of the twentieth century was recorded simultaneously in several parts of America during a night in early June. But, so little was its awful significance suspected at the time, it passed almost without comment.

[Illustration]

I am certain that I entertained no forebodings; neither did the man who was destined to play the leading role in the mighty drama that followed—Dr. Ferdinand Gresham, the eminent American astronomer. For we were on a hunting and fishing trip in Labrador at the time, and were not even aware of the strange occurrence.

Anyway, the nature of this first herald of disaster was not such as to cause alarm.

At 12 minutes past 3 o’clock a. m., when there began a lull in the night’s aerial telegraph business, several of the larger wireless stations of the Western hemisphere simultaneously began picking up strange signals out of the ether. They were faint and ghostly, as if coming from a vast distance—equally far removed from New York and San Francisco, Juneau and Panama.

Exactly two minutes apart the calls were repeated, with clock-like regularity. But the code used—if it _were_ a code—was undecipherable.

Until near dawn the signals continued—indistinct, unintelligible, insistent.

Every station capable of transmitting messages over such great distances emphatically denied sending them. And no amateur apparatus was powerful enough to be the cause. As far as anyone could learn, the signals originated nowhere upon the earth. It was as if some phantom were whispering through the ether in the language of another planet.

Two nights later the calls were heard again, starting at almost the same instant when they had been distinguished on the first occasion. But this time they were precisely three minutes apart. And without the variation of a second they continued for more than an hour.

The next night they reappeared. And the next and the next. Now they began earlier than before—in fact, no one knew when they had started, for they were sounding when the night’s business died down sufficiently for them to be heard. But each night, it was noticed, the interval between the signals was exactly one minute longer than the night before.

Occasionally the weird whispers ceased for a night or two, but always they resumed with the same insistence, although with a newly-timed interval.

This continued until early in July, when the pause between the calls had attained more than thirty minutes’ duration.

Then the length of the lulls began to decrease erratically. One night the mysterious summons would be heard every nineteen and a quarter minutes; the next night, every ten and a half minutes; at other times, twelve and three-quarters minutes, or fourteen and a fifth, or fifteen and a third.

Still the signals could not be deciphered, and their message—if they contained one—remained a mystery.

Newspapers and scientific journals at last began to speculate upon the matter, advancing all manner of theories to account for the disturbances.

The only one of these conjectures attracting widespread attention, however, was that presented by Professor Howard Whiteman, the famous director of the United States naval observatory at Washington, D. C.

Professor Whiteman voiced the opinion that the planet Mars was trying to establish communication with the earth—the mysterious calls being wireless signals sent across space by the inhabitants of our neighboring world.

Our globe, moving through space much faster than Mars, and in a smaller orbit, overtakes its neighboring planet once in a little over two years. For some months Mars had been approaching the earth. At the beginning of June it had been approximately 40,000,000 miles away, and at that time, Professor Whiteman pointed out, the strange wireless calls had commenced. As the two worlds drew closer together the signals increased slightly in power.

The scientist urged that while Mars remained close to us the government should appropriate funds to enlarge one of the principal wireless stations in an effort to answer the overtures of our neighbors in space.

But when, after two more days, the ethereal signals ceased abruptly and week passed without their recurrence, Professor Whiteman’s theory began to be derided, and the whole thing was dismissed as some temporary phenomenon of the atmosphere.

It was something of a shock, therefore, when, on the eighth night after the cessation of the disturbances, the calls were suddenly resumed—much louder than before, as if the power creating their electrical impulses had been increased. Now wireless stations all over the world plainly heard the staccato, mystifying challenge coming out of the ether.

This time, too, the interval between the signals was of a new length—eleven minutes and six seconds.

The next day the matter took on still further importance.

Scientists all along the Pacific Coast of the United States reported that in the night their seismographs had recorded a series of light earthquakes; and it was noted that these tremors had occurred precisely eleven minutes and six seconds apart—simultaneously with the sounding of the mysterious wireless calls!

After that the aerial signals did not stop during any part of the twenty-four hours. And the earth shocks continued, gradually increasing in severity. They kept perfect time with the signals through the ether—a shock for every whisper, a rest for every pause. In the course of a couple of weeks the quakes attained such force that in many places they could be distinctly felt by anyone standing still upon solid ground.

Science now became fully aware of the existence of some new and sinister—or at least unfathomed—force in the world, and began to give the matter profound study.

However, both Dr. Ferdinand Gresham and myself remained in complete ignorance of these events; for, as I have said, we were in the interior of Labrador. We both possessed a keen love of the wilderness, where, in vigorous sports, we renewed our energy for the work to be done in the cities—the doctor’s as director of the great astronomical observatory at the National University; mine in the prosaic channels of business.