Weird Tales, Volume 1, Number 4, June, 1923: The unique magazine

Story Info
139.6k words
7
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

4, JUNE, 1923 ***

Transcriber’s Note: Stories that were originally split over pages, with adverts and/or other stories in between, have been recombined.

[Illustration: Copy this Sketch]

FREE $80 Drafting Course

There is such an urgent demand for practical, trained Draftsman that I am making this special offer in order to enable deserving, ambitious and bright men to get into this line of work. I will teach you to become a Draftsman and Designer, until you are drawing a salary up to $250.00 a month. You need not pay me for my personal instruction or for the complete set of instruments.

Draftsman’s Pocket Rule Free—To Everyone Sending Sketch

[Illustration: _Send above Sketch and Get This_ Ivorine Pocket Rule _FREE_]

To every person of 16 years or older sending a sketch I am going to mail free and prepaid the Draftsman’s Ivorine Pocket Rule shown here. This will come entirely with my compliments. With it I will send a 6 × 9 book on “Successful Draftsmanship”. If you are interested in becoming a draftsman, if you think you have or may attain drafting ability, sit down and copy this drawing, mailing it to me today, writing your name, and your address and your age plainly on the sheet of paper containing the drawing. There are no conditions requiring you to buy anything. You are under no obligations in sending in your sketch. What I want to know is how much you are interested in drawing and your sketch will tell me that.

_Positions Paying Up to_ $250 and $300 per Month

I am Chief Draftsman of the Engineers’ Equipment Co. and I know that there are thousands of ambitious men who would like to better themselves, make more money and secure faster advancement. Positions paying up to $250 and $300 per month, which ought to be filled by skilled draftsmen, are vacant. I want to find the men who with practical training and personal assistance will be qualified to fill these positions. No man can hope to share in the great coming prosperity in manufacturing and building unless he is properly trained and is able to do first class practical work.

I know that this is the time to get ready. That is why I am making the above offer. I can now take and train a limited number of students personally and I will give to those students a guarantee to give them by mail practical drawing room training until they are placed in a permanent position with a salary up to $250 and $300 per month. You should act promptly on this offer because it is my belief that even though you start now the great boom will be well on by the time you are ready to accept a position as a skilled draftsman. So write to me at once. Enclose sketch or not, as you choose, but find out about the opportunities ahead of you. Let me send you the book “Successful Draftsmanship” telling how you may take advantage of these opportunities by learning drafting at home.

[Illustration: FREE

this $25 Draftsman’s Working Outfit]

These are regular working instruments—the kind I use myself. I give them free to you if you enroll at once. Don’t delay. Send for full information today.

Mail Your Drawing at Once—_and Get Ivorine Pocket Rule Absolutely_ Free!

Ambitious men interested in drafting hurry! Don’t wait! This is your opportunity to get into this great profession. Accept the offer which I am making now. Send in your sketch or request for free book and free Ivorine Pocket Rule.

Chief Draftsman, Engineers’ Equipment Co., 1951 Lawrence Av. Div. 13-95 Chicago

WEIRD TALES

_The Unique Magazine_

EDWIN BAIRD, _Editor_

Published monthly by THE RURAL PUBLISHING CORPORATION, 325 N. Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, Ind. Application made for entry as second-class matter at the postoffice at Indianapolis, Indiana. Single copies, 25 cents. Subscription, $3.00 a year in the United States; $3.50 in Canada. The publishers are not responsible for manuscripts lost in transit. Address all manuscripts and other editorial matters to WEIRD TALES, 854 N. Clark St., Chicago, Ill. The contents of this magazine are fully protected by copyright and publishers are cautioned against using the same, either wholly or in part.

Copyright, 1923, by The Rural Publishing Corporation.

VOLUME 1 25 Cents NUMBER 4

_Contents for June, 1923_

_Sixteen Thrilling Short Stories_ _Two Complete Novelettes_ _Two Two-Part Stories_ _Interesting, Odd and Weird Happenings_

THE EVENING WOLVES PAUL ELLSWORTH TRIEM 5 _An Exciting Tale of Weird Events_

DESERT MADNESS HAROLD FREEMAN MINERS 19 _A Fanciful Novel of the Red Desert_

THE JAILER OF SOULS HAMILTON CRAIGIE 32 _A Powerful Novel of Sinister Madmen that Mounts to an Astounding Climax_

JACK O’ MYSTERY EDWIN MacLAREN 49 _A Modern Ghost Story_

OSIRIS ADAM HULL SHIRK 55 _A Weird Tale of an Egyptian Mummy_

THE WELL JULIAN KILMAN 57 _A Short Story_

THE PHANTOM WOLFHOUND ADELBERT KLINE 60 _A Spooky Yarn by the Author of “The Thing of a Thousand Shapes”_

THE MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE EDGAR ALLAN POE 64 _A Masterpiece of Weird Fiction_

THE MOON TERROR A. G. BIRCH 72 _Final Thrilling Installment of the Mysterious Chinese Moon Worshipers_

THE MAN THE LAW FORGOT WALTER NOBLE BURNS 81 _A Remarkable Story of the Dead Returned to Life_

THE BLADE OF VENGEANCE GEORGE WARBURTON LEWIS 86 _A Powerful, Gripping Story Well Told_

THE GRAY DEATH LOUAL B. SUGARMAN 91 _Horrifying and Incredible Tale of the Amazon Valley_

THE VOICE IN THE FOG HENRY LEVERAGE 95 _Another Thriller by the Author of “Whispering Wires”_

THE INVISIBLE TERROR HUGH THOMASON 100 _An Uncanny Tale of the Jungle_

THE ESCAPE HELEN ROWE HENZE 103 _A Short Story_

THE SIREN TARLETON COLLIER 105 _A Storiette That Is “Different”_

THE MADMAN HERBERT HIPWELL 107 _A Night of Horror in the Mortuary_

THE CHAIR DR. HARRY E. MERENESS 109 _An Electrocution Vividly Described by an Eyewitness_

THE CAULDRON PRESTON LANGLEY HICKEY 111 _True Adventures of Terror_

THE EYRIE BY THE EDITOR 113

For Advertising Rates in WEIRD TALES apply to YOUNG & WARD, Advertising Managers, 168 North Michigan Blvd., Chicago, Ill.

* * * * *

[Illustration]

Finding “The Fountain of Youth”

_A Long-Sought Secret, Vital to Happiness, Has Been Discovered._

_By H. M. Stunz_

_Alas! that spring should vanish with the rose!_ _That youth’s sweet-scented manuscript should close!_ —OMAR KHAYYAM.

A secret vital to human happiness has been discovered. An ancient problem which, sooner or later, affects the welfare of virtually every man and woman, has been solved. As this problem undoubtedly will come to you eventually, if it has not come already, I urge you to read this article carefully. It may give you information of a value beyond all price.

This newly-revealed secret is not a new “philosophy” of financial success. It is not a political panacea. It has to do with something of far greater moment to the individual—success and happiness in love and marriage—and there is nothing theoretical, imaginative or fantastic about it, because it comes from the coldly exact realms of science and its value has been proved. It “works.” And because it does work—surely, speedily and most delightfully—it is one of the most important discoveries made in many years. Thousands already bless it for having rescued them from lives of disappointment and misery. Millions will rejoice because of it in years to come.

The peculiar value of this discovery is that it removes physical handicaps which, in the past, have been considered inevitable and irremediable. I refer to the loss of youthful animation and a waning of the vital forces. These difficulties have caused untold unhappiness—failures, shattered romances, mysterious divorces. True happiness does not depend on wealth, position or fame. Primarily, it is a matter of health. Not the inefficient, “half-alive” condition which ordinarily passes as “health,” but the abundant, vibrant, magnetic vitality of superb manhood and womanhood.

[Illustration]

Unfortunately, this kind of health is rare. Our civilization, with its wear and tear, rapidly depletes the organism and, in a physical sense, old age comes on when life should be at its prime.

But this is not a tragedy of our era alone. Ages ago a Persian poet, in the world’s most melodious epic of pessimism, voiced humanity’s immemorial complaint that “spring should vanish with the rose” and the song of youth too soon come to an end. And for centuries before Omar Khayyam wrote his immortal verses, science had searched—and in the centuries that have passed since then has continued to search—without halt, for the fabled “fountain of youth,” an infallible method of renewing energy lost or depleted by disease, overwork, worry, excesses or advancing age.

Now the long search has been rewarded. A “fountain of youth” has been found! Science announces unconditionally that youthful vigor can be restored quickly and safely. Lives clouded by weakness can be illumined by the sunlight of health and joy. Old age, in a sense, can be kept at bay and youth made more glorious than ever. And the discovery which makes these amazing results possible is something any man or woman, young or old, can easily use in the privacy of the home, unknown to relative, friend or acquaintance.

The discovery had its origin in famous European laboratories. Brought to America, it was developed into a product that has given most remarkable results in thousands of cases, many of which had defied all other treatments. In scientific circles the discovery has been known and used for several years and has caused unbounded amazement by its quick, harmless, gratifying action. Now in convenient tablet form, under the name of Korex compound, it is available to the general public.

Any one who finds the youthful stamina ebbing, life losing its charm and color or the feebleness of old age coming on too soon, can obtain a double-strength treatment of this compound, sufficient for ordinary cases, under a positive guarantee that it costs nothing if it fails and only $2 if it produces prompt and gratifying results. In average cases, the compound often brings about amazing benefits in from twenty-four to forty-eight hours.

Simply write in confidence to the Melton Laboratories, 833 Massachusetts Bldg., Kansas City, Mo., and this wonder restorative will be mailed to you in a plain wrapper. You may enclose $2 or, if you prefer, just send your name without money and pay the postman $2 and postage when the parcel is delivered. In either case, if you report after a week that the Korex compound has not given satisfactory results, your money will be refunded immediately. The Melton Laboratories are nationally known and thoroughly reliable. Moreover, their offer is fully guaranteed, so no one need hesitate to accept it. If you need this remarkable scientific rejuvenator, write for it today.

* * * * *

The Cleanest, Yet Most Outspoken, Book Published

There is not a man or woman married or unmarried, who does not need to know every word contained in “Sex Conduct in Marriage.” The very numerous tragedies which occur every day, show the necessity for plain-spokenness and honest discussion of the most vital part of married life.

It is impossible to conceive of the value of the book; it must undoubtedly be read to be appreciated, and it is obviously impossible to give here a complete summary of its contents. The knowledge is not obtainable elsewhere; there is a conspiracy of silence on the essential matters concerning sex conduct, and the object of the author has been to break the barriers of convention in this respect, recognizing as he does that no marriage can be a truly happy one unless both partners are free to express the deepest feelings they have for each other without degrading themselves or bringing into the world undesired children.

[Illustration]

The author is an idealist who recognizes the sacredness of the sex function and the right of children to be loved and desired before they are born. Very, very few of us can say truly that we were the outcome of the conscious desire of our parents to beget us. They, however, were not to blame because they had not the knowledge which would have enabled them to control conception.

Let us, then, see that our own marriage conduct brings us happiness and enjoyment in itself and for our children.

A Book for Idealists by an Idealist

The greatest necessity to insure happiness in the married condition is to know its obligations and privileges, and to have a sound understanding of sex conduct. This great book gives this information and is absolutely reliable throughout.

Dr. P. L. Clark, B. S., M. D., writing of this book says: “As regards sound principles and frank discussion I know no better book on this subject than Bernard Bernard’s ‘Sex Conduct in Marriage.’ I strongly advise all members of the Health School in need of reliable information to read this book.”

“I feel grateful but cheated,” writes one man. “Grateful for the new understanding and joy in living that has come to us, cheated that we have lived five years without it.”

SEX CONDUCT IN MARRIAGE

By BERNARD BERNARD Editor-in-Chief of “Health and Life”

Answers simply and directly, those intimate questions which Mr. Bernard has been called upon to answer innumerable times before, both personally and by correspondence. It is a simple, straightforward explanation, unclouded by ancient fetish or superstition.

A few of the many headings are:—

When the Sex Function Should Be Used. Sex Tragedies in Childhood. The Consummation of Marriage. The Art of a Beautiful Conception. Sex Communion. The Scientific Control of Conception. Sex Fear Destroyed. The Frequency of the Sex Act. The Initiation to Matrimony. Anatomy and Physiology of the Sex Organs. The Spontaneous Expression of Love. Why Women Have Been Subjected. Men Who Marry in Ignorance. Hereditary Passion. Marriage a Joy to the End.

Send your check or money order today for only $1.75 and this remarkable book will be sent postpaid immediately in a plain wrapper.

Health and Life Publications Room 46-333 South Dearborn Street CHICAGO

HEALTH AND LIFE PUBLICATIONS Room 46-333 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, Illinois.

Please send me, in plain wrapper, postpaid, your book. “Sex Conduct in Marriage.” Enclosed $1.75.

Name _________________________

Address ______________________

City _________________________

State ________________________

_The Unique Magazine_

WEIRD TALES

_Edited by Edwin Baird_

VOLUME ONE NUMBER FOUR

25c a Copy

JUNE, 1923

Subscription $3.00 A YEAR $3.50 IN CANADA

_Paul Ellsworth Triem’s Latest Novel_

The Evening Wolves

_An Exciting Tale of Weird Events_

_CHAPTER ONE_

AH WING RECEIVES A CLIENT

[Illustration]

A taxicab stopped on the corner, and two people got out. They formed a decidedly incongruous pair; for the first to alight was a diminutive Chinese boy, scantily dressed, while his companion appeared to be a portly white man.

It was impossible to be sure of this fact, however, as this second passenger wore a long overcoat, with its ulster collar turned up around his face, and a dark cloth cap with the visor drawn down over his forehead and eyes.

Evidently the cab driver had been paid in advance, for he swung out from the curb as soon as his fares had dismounted, and was soon out of sight. The Chinese boy glanced at his companion, then set off silently up a street whose central portion was paved with cobblestones.

He seemed to know just where he was going. He paused only once, to cast a fleeting glance over his shoulder. Then he resumed his journey.

He had seen that the man in the ulster was following; and now, after traversing half a block of squalid, deserted street, the youngster turned abruptly into a pestilential-looking alley. This alley lay close to the top of a hill, and for a moment the man and the boy, who appeared to be his guide, could look down over the roofs to where the gay lights of Chinatown twinkled alluringly.

Presently the diminutive Oriental paused just outside a doorway. The man who had been following him came up, with a curious suggestion of eagerness and suspicion. Looking over the shoulder of the figure before him, he was able to make out the entrance to a narrow flight of unlighted stairs, which plunged steeply into the earth beneath a dilapidated building.

“Do we have to go down there, boy?” the man demanded.

“All a-same down here, master,” the youngster replied. “You come close—I show you!”

He began to descend as he spoke; and the man, after a moment of hesitation, plunged through the doorway after him. His manner was that of one who is taking a horribly unpleasant remedy, hoping to cure a still more horrible disease.

The diminutive Chinaman reached the bottom of the stairs and waited for his companion. When he felt the man’s heavy hand on his shoulder, he turned to his right, advancing cautiously through an almost impenetrable darkness.

There was a smell of dry rot in this basement, and around their feet rats scampered and squeaked. The man’s hand shook, and his breath came with a hissing sound through his clenched teeth.

“Now we go down again, master,” the boy announced presently. He had paused and turned again to the right. “You keep close—I show you!”

A step at a time, they descended a second flight of stairs. On either side were rough stone walls, powdery with mildew. The man discovered this with his free left hand. Strange odors came to him. Abruptly a bell rang, somewhere in the bowels of the darkness below them.

The boy stopped in his tracks.

“Now you go down, master,” he commanded. “Ah Wing waiting for you—you go slow. Goo’-by!”

He slipped out from under the heavy hand that would have detained him, and the man heard him go scampering like one of the rats up the stairs and away through the upper corridors.

Terror gripped the man left alone there on the stairs. He felt that he was in a trap—and he had been evading traps so long now that they had become an obsession with him.

He cried out, hoarsely, and as he did so a door opened below and a flood of light shone out.

“Pray continue your descent, Colonel Knight,” a cultured voice commanded from somewhere within the lighted room whose door had just opened. “The stairs are quite secure, and I am awaiting you!”