All Comments on 'Well Shit!'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 39 Comments
onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveabout 1 year ago

Mara Hari? Really? 1917 and the Great Depression? An early arrival?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Thanks for sharing...

Fantastic entertainment, it’s been awhile since I’ve read a story with such insight & recognition. You Sir are a true inspiration. Thanks again 5*

GrandPaMGrandPaMabout 1 year ago

qhml1,

I generally love your work but this one was frankly a bit disappointing and excessively cynical IMO.

But given the rather cynical perspective of being from a race who had basically destroyed their homeworld, perhaps it's not excessively surprising, I suppose. Still, only 4.25 of 5 from me on this one - definitely your lowest marks in my reckoning.

J_Reader_ComicsJ_Reader_Comicsabout 1 year ago

Was just too scrambled for me.

xhristianjxhristianjabout 1 year ago

Wow so took cuckoldary interplanetary and inter dimensional good job 😂😂😂

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 1 year ago

An enjoyable science fiction story. 5*.

decathlondecathlonabout 1 year ago

Too much wokeness to be a viable sci-fi effort. I'll pass.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 1 year ago

Hi, q, thanks for an interesting story for the event. I loved the concept of the first half (Mata Hari, withstanding, executed in October 1917, four years before they arrived) and particularly how the Martians participated in our arts (Cary Grant and Rock Hudson). I think my favorite was Isaac Asimov and his "predictions".

.

The second half went from history to basically psychohistory (Asimov, again, though not mentioned this time!) as it told the story of what was to come. It didn't make the connection like the first part so it didn't seem quite as effective to me, showing too much overview and not enough on a personal level. Still, it was a fun story overall and did a great job showing how humans and aliens might interact over time. Nice job and thanks for participating in Randi's event.

Hooked1957Hooked1957about 1 year ago

Thanks for another great story.

Hooked

linnearlinnearabout 1 year ago

Amazing if not a little depressing story. I can actually see that end coming the way our assholes in charge behave.

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 1 year ago

Interesting for a while, but then it devolved into tell not show and became -- very, very unusually for a story of yours -- rather tedious. I loved the premise, and really felt like it was starting to go somewhere, but then it just turned into a series of apocalyptic sketches. It would have been much more interesting just to follow the narrator's life and relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Interesting perspective. Still waiting on final chapter(s) of "Rocky Racoon".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wow. That was painful to read. An almost impossible topic has turned some of the best writers on this site into average people. I can't figure out if your leader set the bar too high, too low or to just impossible. Thanks for the effort from all the writer's that participated and I hope you all get back to your regular story telling soon.

OmniferisOmniferisabout 1 year ago

hope there is more to follow

muskyboymuskyboyabout 1 year ago

Usually like your writings but this was too depressing for me. Really cynical and maybe too "woke"

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

definitely not your specialty.

It shows and unfortunately it's not at the level of your usual stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The first Q story the didn’t get a 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nowhere _near_ your usual standard.

Just FYI, EE Smith and the Admiral (Heinlein) were writing about satellites when Asimov was submitting his first stories to John Ghod Campbell. Heck, Smith talked about one of his XT societies lofting solar-power satellites as needed, back in the early 1930s.

Oh, and the bit about patenting the idea? That was actually Arthur C. Clarke, referring to communications birds in geosynchronous orbits.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Blasphemy!!!!

Covid from a Lab in China!

I always enjoyed your writing, But Now?

I like it even more.

Miss seeing you as often, thanks for the story.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 1 year ago

Always enjoy your stories and I did this time as well. As a lifelong sci-fi lover, many works intertwined here. As a result, the speed you brushed through the issues and interactions never allowed me to get immersed in the story this time. 4*

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 1 year ago

Nice story, Q. Thank you for posting. Randi

dgfergiedgfergieabout 1 year ago

A bit darker than your other stories but I fear this story may not be far from our future reality. I have been reading science fiction for over 60 years and have seen most of the technology that was written about has become a reality. Heinlein wrote about going to the moon about 20 years before we did. Funny thing was no one would publish the story cause they thought it was too far fetched! Someone once said: "The only thing we can't do is what we haven't thought of yet." Our history and achievements have shown this may not be far from reality. Of course we may not survive that as a species if we keep letting idiot scientists keep fooling around with things like covid and GMO experiments. Gene manipulation is just asking for trouble. So the only real question we have to ask is why are we here? But do we really want to know the answer?

inka2222inka2222about 1 year ago

Amen. This is a first QHM1 story I didn't really like all that much and rated below 5.

First, the overall quality of writing wasn't up to qhm1's usual standard. Not fair, I know - it wasn't awful compared to average LE story, but it was also suffering from more issues below.

Second, and probably biggest problem, is that the idea of "everyone of note or of specialness is an alien, and all inventions are from them" is so cliché and boring and while boring, also demeaning to humans. It's been done in a hundred books/movies of varying quality. If it was a character, I'd throw in a "Mary Sue" as a blanket label. but it doesn't make any better writing when it's the whole race instead of one person.

Third, there was precious little romans as in "a story of feelings of 2-or-more people". Dry recitation of who paired - or orgied - with whom, a romance doesn't make. Honestly, I personally don't really care and happily read stories with zero romance or sex - what I disliked was "romance" tag.

The only thing that made me give it 4 stars instead of 3 it (in my humble opinion) deserved, were a couple of small politically incorrect slaps in the face to certain people, like "Covid from Chinese labs". Yeah, I'm cheaply bought and easily amused. Interestingly, the author seemed to be needling EVERYONE of any politics, but what the hell, it's still a breath of fresh air.

rodryder44rodryder44about 1 year ago

I chuckled at Ho Chi Min and Putin and wondered about the rest of the name dropping. This genre is definitely not my cup of tea. I’m sorry I can only rate this as a 3.

chytownchytownabout 1 year ago

****Thanks for the read. Very interesting storyline.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nah

vintageridervintageriderabout 1 year ago

I read it because you wrote it but... see comments below.

Forto02Forto02about 1 year ago

You, qhml1, cannot allow this story to be your last one.

Please write something else, you can do it.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 1 year ago

Couldn't read it. There are too many spelling errors and omitted words. I had to constantly stop to figure out the word chain. I tried to read it, but couldn't finish.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Outstanding !!!

Satire, black humour, sci-fi yet still serious enough to make me sad.

Thank you for the pleasure, your Authorship :-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Quite enjoyed the story, but there were too many errors, which made it difficult to read, habitual planet, rather than habitable, assignation, rather than assassination to name just two.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Too many pronouns at the end. Not sure who was hunting who

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker10 months ago

Diff that's for sure. Who knows what's gonna happen with us.. don't think we'll make it that far though.. not the rate were going

AnAncientAnAncient9 months ago

Feel that the story had huge potential, but your exposition was extremely weak.

You had so many ideas, that you could have developed several interleaving story lines.

The 'Mood', and related sexuality, was developed a little, but could have been used to create a lot more drama and tension. Could have spawned several interacting sub-plots.

I think the interbreeding of Humans and Martians is an interesting idea, but I think it could be developed further, and used to add additional tension.

I'd like to suggest that you consider making the story much longer, possibly 10x or more. If you find it rambling, go back and increase the drama & tension. I've had to do that myself -- my natural style is write something similar to a badly written history essay (even when I attempt SciFi)!

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker9 months ago

2nd x again.. still feel the same.. I think sooner are later were All going to * pass* on.. just look around. Doesn't take much to figure out how f-d up this world is getting.. LORD help us all if YOU. Would... .. that's just my opinion... And We All got one !! 🛐🙏🤷🤷👍👍😉😁

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Westerns, writers, Scots, now Martians!

Q,. You watch too much TV… but it was so on point.

Loved it, and …. On to da next!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

One way to express some political opinions that might otherwise raise some rancor {I sympathize with most of the opinions BTW} but S-F isn't really your thing. Not much of a story here.

ImshakenImshaken6 days ago

Meh. 3 stars

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories