Welldark B1 Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I felt the moment, stopped in my tracks and turned her towards me. For a moment, she seemed surprised, then I leaned towards her. My lips were on track to meet hers and her expression changed to mild panic. I stopped. That was not what I had hoped for or expected. A finger's width from her lips, I pulled back.

"It's still not time, is it?" I asked, unable to rein in the disappointment in my voice. I wanted to hold her, really hold her. Not just hug or embrace her or spend the evenings watching things while she leaned against me. All of these things were fantastic and they felt incomplete. It couldn't be the true experience until I knew that I could go all the way with her. They were all just half-measures and none of them would ever be truly satisfying until there was no doubt that she was mine and I was hers. "I'm sorry," I said regardless. "I shouldn't be-"

"No, this is not your fault," Esther didn't let me finish. "I... I do not know... I do not know when I will know. Your impatience is justified." Although we stepped away from each other, our hands were still together, the fingers locked. "If it will be anyone, it has to be you. Believe that much, good Karitas, if nothing else."

"I believe everything, Esther," I assured her. All of a sudden, she seemed so breakable. This was about more than the kiss itself. This was the entire question of whether or not we would be more than just seeing each other. I was ready, I had basically always been ready. This wasn't to my credit. I knew that it was healthier to get to know one's partner before getting properly tied and yet I was so eager to commit from the second I had met her. However, we were gradually transitioning away from the learning period of our relationship. We weren't mutually interested strangers anymore. We were a mutually infatuated couple. As willing as I was to wait for her, Esther must have known that I would have to split up with her eventually, if things stagnated. Not for a lack of love, but because of simple realism.

These were the silent truths hanging in the air between us. I wanted to tell her that everything would be alright, but I couldn't without taking the urgency out of the situation. I wanted there to be a level of urgency. This current arrangement we had was something I viewed as short-term. That had to be understood.

"I didn't mean to ruin the evening," I could tell her that much with complete honesty, however.

"As of yet, nothing has been ruined," Esther said and got a hint of the previous smile back. "There is time in this night and time that we share. Let it flow and pull us along."

"Hm, that sounds like something I would say," I joked and we continued walking, fingers locked.

Our first goal for the evening wasn't far away. That was to say, it was a few houses over. I rang the doorbell to Aclysia's mansion and waited. The minor emotional turmoil I felt calmed in anticipation of seeing the maidenly half-elf in her own dress. Soon, I heard the steps inside the house and then saw the door handle being pushed down.

Aclysia's dress was a black and white one-piece thing of wonderful, maid-like wonder. It was entirely held by a black corset that layered on top of a white base. From it extended a black wave skirt that reached all the way to her ankles. Her shoulders and arms were left bare.

I personally would have picked a pencil skirt to really put emphasis on her ass, but I had to admit that this was probably easier to dance in and it looked good, really good. "If you would allow me, Aclysia," I said and extended my left hand to my second date.

"Of course, Karitas," the half-elf responded, her silver hair flowing behind her when she took a very enthusiastic step forward.

The way to the ball was of little noteworthiness. It felt almost inadequate to get on the train in our get-ups, but even the 'upper class' of Welldark had to rely on that mode of transportation. The privacy of the Iron Rank wagon, with its lockable cabins, was pleasant for the trip. We drove past Welldark University, then the city and, for the first time, Esther and I were on our way to that island in the northwest of the artificial dimension. The space of the Golden Eagles.

Even getting out of the train there was different. Two golems of sexless, humanoid shape stood at the smaller but highly luxurious station, moving their stone heads in our direction. I wasn't sure if they were meant for security or for bag carrying. Either way, they observed us for five seconds and then returned to inertia.

Down a flight of stairs later, we found ourselves on a path that led to the dormitory. I already disliked this place. The train station, the path before us and the Golden Eagles' dormitory, they all had exactly that disgustingly bright pomp that I didn't care for. The gothic building style was still in place, but the colour scheme was all out of whack and everything was about three sizes bigger than it really needed to be.

The walkway in front of us, the example right before me, was as wide as the one that connected the first-year students dormitory to Welldark University. At any given time, there were a whole lot more freshmen than there were Golden Eagle students, who represented only the top 10% of the students in their second year and beyond. Having a walkway this broad served absolutely no purpose. Adding to that the fact that it was a walkway covered in glass slabs that protected underlying golden ornaments made it ridiculous. Adding to that that every single ornament was a perfectly carved picture of an eagle defeating various mythological creatures made me dizzy from the poshness.

Then there was the actual dormitory in the distance. A monstrosity of a building that probably had more dining halls than some villages had houses. It had nine towers around the rim, each larger than the last one, circling around a gargantuan one in the centre. They were black, purple, grey and gold. Golden slabs tiled the pointy roofs, framed the large windows and covered the stone decorations that segmented the building along its five levels. Just to make sure everybody saw that gleaming wonder of architecture; it was placed on a hill as well.

Several rectangular side arms grew out of the circular main body and followed the slope downwards, their flat roofs descending in levels. Each level had its own pool, garden, tennis court, or something else that people 'definitely' needed. I was only aware of those things thanks to Willt telling me about them in the past. The thing was way too towering for me to see what was on top.

"I mean, I get it," I explained my mediocre mood to the mildly concerned ladies in my company. "You get to the top of the hierarchy; you should get rewarded. No question about it. Is it really necessary to live in a giant golden palace though?"

"The colour is offensively bright," Esther agreed on at least one article.

"I have to disavow that statement, I would be honoured and happy to live in such a location," Aclysia stated.

"To each their own, I guess," I said and tried to keep my annoyance with the overtly pompous to myself.

Not that the inside of the building made it any easier.

"Ah, my lady Aclysia, it is a pleasure to see you tonight," a butler greeted us in the sparkling entrance hall. In this case, sparkling was almost literally correct. The marble floor was so polished I felt bad stepping on it, which defeated the point of having floors. Not that I was advocating for people to have dirty floors, just maybe having a home that was such a work of art that living in it felt wrong was overdoing it on several fronts.

The dark grey pillars that were half-embedded into the deep purple walls didn't help the matter. Neither did all the statues and other artistry around. I felt more like I was in a museum to Welldark's splendour than in a school dormitory.

What I wanted in a home was having a house that was exactly as large as it needed to be so that everybody living in it had ample space to move and a quiet corner to retreat into. It should be filled with sentimental and useful things. Not some oversized posh palace where people had to actively try to see someone in the sprawling hallways.

Aclysia bowed before the butler, just as he did in turn. "My honour, Gregory," she said and stepped aside to present the man to me and Esther. "This here is Gregory Grimoire, he is my father's head butler."

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Karitas Desia and Lady Esther," The black-haired man bowed towards us, deeper than he had done for Aclysia. He was a fellow with long, black hair and a long face of the handsome variety. He appeared human, for the most part. A long tail with an arrow-shaped head reached out of a slit in the back of his butler uniform. That, combined with his last name being the demonic equivalent of Smith, made me guess that he was some sort of half-human, half-demon person. "You arrive right on time."

"Well, I would have been fashionably late," I responded jokingly and gestured at my two dates. "But the ladies have a good influence on me keeping a schedule."

Gregory chuckled. "Lady Sybille mentioned you have a quick mouth... I do wonder if..." he shut his mouth as he straightened back up and grinned widely in a truly demonic fashion. The overly sharp canines he revealed in the process were the second inhuman attribute he displayed. "No, never mind. You'll prove what you're worth on your own, I'm sure."

Esther crossed her arms, "Devils never change."

"I assure you my kind has many different ways we go about, but I don't think I am of much interest tonight," the head butler announced and I tended to agree. "If you would follow me, I'll be happy to guide you three to tonight's ballroom."

'Of course, there is a 'tonight's' ballroom,' I couldn't help but notice the implication that there were multiple. What an utter waste of space.

"I apologize for Gregory's testiness," Aclysia said, as we followed the butler through decorated hallways. He had his arms folded behind his back, the long tail waving from side to side. The steps of his polished shoes created echoes that ours only emphasized. "He has always liked to... 'roast' potential suitors for me and my siblings."

"I'm invested in Arustius' bloodline, for multiple contractual reasons," the butler chimed in, looking over his shoulder. Eyes that were previously brown turned red for just one moment, glinting with demonic jest. "Do not worry, none of which shall be to your harm."

I had dealt with a few devils down in Hell, so I knew better than to ask and receive some non-answer. "Do you usually work around this... gold display of a dormitory?" I asked instead, trying to keep my distaste down to passive aggressive levels. Our steps carried us into an elevator. It felt like it was moving diagonally, not just up.

"Much to my pleasure, I do not," Gregory replied swiftly. "Arustius' residence on campus is much more tasteful. It was on Lady Merliona's insistence that this place was built the way it was. All of the dormitories spawn from her quill."

I knew that Arustius was the headmaster's first name, as seldom as it was used. Who Merliona was, I had no idea about. A questioning glance at Aclysia brought me the answer quickly. "My father's Jack," she started her explanation, just as we stepped out of the elevator again, "she went through a phase of interest in architecture as Welldark was being constructed."

"Many interests inside that one, our genius Lady Merliona," Gregory added, just as we arrived in front of a giant wooden door. I could already hear the violins behind it. "Without any further ado," the half-devil hummed and pushed the two door-halves open as if they weighed nothing. "Welcome to the new semester ball of the Golden Eagles," he shouted, barely for us and mostly for all the other people already in the room. He stepped to the side and continued. "Now entering, Lady Aclysia Taurus, Sir Karitas Desia," I cringed a bit, "and Lady Esther," the emphasis on her title and drop of her last name was a giant flashing sign that the woman of my dreams didn't seem to appreciate either.

We were standing on an indoor balcony, of sorts, with a long staircase leading down into the actual ballroom. The ceiling was higher than most houses were tall, with a gargantuan crystal chandelier hanging above. Below us was a rectangular hall, with space along the walls dedicated to a large buffet and round tables, scattered about the room in a symmetrical pattern, to eat on. In the middle of it all, there was a large clearing, currently vacated except for the band having put their equipment on an island that doubled as the last step of the stairs. They were a trio of a violinist, a pianist and a presumed songstress, the last one sitting idly by in her red dress, while her companions played.

Like the entrance hall, the walls were segmented by dark grey pillars that were half-embedded into the wall. The floor, however, was a burgundy red carpet, perhaps to have some mercy on people that slipped rather easily. Rather than being painted purple, the walls between the pillars were beset with tall mirrors (or perhaps towering was more adequate). In the back, a row of artistically swung windows and glass doors made room to an actual balcony.

Somewhere around a hundred people were down there, Golden Eagle students, teachers, and parts of their respective Anomalias. Most of them were looking up to us. "Your attendance request ought to include that we are the guests of honour, sly Gregory," Esther didn't veil the annoyance in her voice to any degree. Only grinning his demonic grin, the butler bowed as if he was sorry.

"I suppose what's done is done," I sighed. Personally, I had no problem being introduced like this, but I would have appreciated a warning. For now, I could only move on with the night. "Shall we?" I asked, offering my hands to my dates. My right to Esther and my left to Aclysia. Once they had taken my invitation, we moved down the stairs together. We went around the band and found ourselves largely ignored.

There was some clapping, pure courtesy, but nobody seemed too eager to talk to us. Something I felt rather thankful for. I was a skirt chaser; I didn't like my figurative skirt being chased. It was my job, as a man of character, to initiate the conversation. That aside, I already had two girls to flirt with.

"How about we check out the buffet?" I suggested, knowing that would help improve Esther's mood. My hand wandered around her waist and then a bit lower. Meanwhile, she nodded. I looked over to Aclysia -- while trying to grab her bum the same way.

The white-haired maidly woman stepped away and I raised an eyebrow. "I will greet my father and return to your side shortly," she explained.

"Alright, hope you'll manage to find the real us between all the reflections," I joked. Chuckling courtfully, my second date raised her hand to signal her temporary departure.

Esther and I walked over to one segment of the buffet and each grabbed an empty plate. The array of offered food was vast and differed from table to table, each with a theme. We first found ourselves before the bread table (yes, just one entire, large table for breads), next to it were toppings, then egg and egg-based meals, fish, cold soups, hot soups, and so on. Given this variety of free food, I decided to treat myself to all of the luxurious dishes. It would take higher earnings or a special occasion for me to invest into something like smoked salmon, which was the first thing I went after.

Next to me, Esther created a mountain on her plate. A mountain of healthy foods, to be fair to her. She skipped out on the fatty stuff, like bacon, and went for diced fruit, boiled eggs, fish and other healthy things instead. Regardless, a mountain was a mountain and she ended up with roughly twice the amount of food I had. Not that I was eating little in the first place. Maintaining a muscular physique was half training and half watching one's protein intake.

Once we had picked all we wanted, we sat down at a random, empty table. "I would say getting the dress and free food alone was worth the hassle of coming here," I said, after I had swallowed my first bite of salmon. The thing was just the right mix of salty and smoky. The consistency was perfect as well, pleasing me with every movement of my jaw. I took a greedy second bite, while Esther answered.

"Economically, that is correct, Karitas," she said, her sensuous voice mixing with the soft violin in the background. Those two sounds harmonized wonderfully, as if they were meant to exist next to each other. "I do, however, despise this impractical dress and the unnecessary attention."

"Unnecessary it may be, my lady, but not undeserved. Much thanks to this impractical but beautiful dress. The way the amber cloth slides around your body is most pleasing to my eyes and I assure you that most here follow that thought. The rise of your bosom, rising and falling with every sultry breath you take, is of a character that only a word beyond amazing could describe, a word I do not know."

Esther rolled her eyes and chuckled softly at the same time. "A truly labyrinthine way to compliment my cleavage," she summarized what I had said.

"It's a very nice cleavage," I unashamedly responded.

She bowed over to me in a secretive fashion. Her red lips, glistening with the juices of the recently devoured fruits, parted. I anticipated some kind of erotic offer, which I would surely agree to without hesitation. Then, Esther's eyes wandered to the side. The tip of her tricorne followed along the movement when she faced properly to whatever she was looking at.

Miffed at the interruption, I turned around and saw a single man approach. He was tall, somewhat lanky and didn't seem to properly fill out his finely cut suit. Casually raising a hand to his mouth, he yawned. Half-stretching, half-falling, he fell into the seat opposite of us.

The man had short, black hair and shades under his eyes that were too dark to stem from a lack of sleep alone. Either they were painted on or they stemmed from a not quite human origin. Because there were no other visible markings, I wasn't quite sure what was true. Aside from those shades, he certainly looked human. His face was of average attractiveness and his figure was strictly unimpressive.

"Ev'ning," he slurred and finished his stretch. Given his young appearance and attitude, I assumed him to be a student. An assumption that, if true, made him approaching us very peculiar. The fact that the recruiting of first years was taboo for upperclassmen meant that we shouldn't have been all too interesting to our fellow students.

"Good evening," I responded in kind, curious what his intentions were. "Pardon me if this is a rude question but what brings you to our table?"

"Eh, just felt like checking you out," the guy responded and turned his chair so he could let one arm dangle over the back while still facing us. It was the kind of lax pose one assumed when meeting with friends, not in a public gala. "Do you know who I am?" I shook my head. "Do you want to guess?" I shook my head again. He looked over to Esther, clearly hoping for a different response, but didn't get one. "You two don't seem particularly interesting," he sighed. "I'm Erik, really boring name, I'm aware. I'm the number one guy of the Golden Eagles. You know, tower, King of the strongest student Anomalia, all of that stuff."

"Is it your intent to scout the competition, then?" Esther asked, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

Erik threw his pale hands into the air. "No, no, stop being so dramatic you two!" he said, despite neither of us having been particularly dramatic at all. No sooner had he lowered his hands again, that he yawned, as if that simple outcry had exhausted him. This wasn't quite what I expected from the leader of Welldark's strongest Anomalia. That being said, I had expected someone eccentric and he did not disappoint in that sense. "Look here, I've been procrastinating the entire three and a half years I've been here. Should have been last year, but the only thing I cared about are the tournaments -- which I and my girls are the best at, no questions asked." He gestured with his right hand, showing off the black mark around the ring finger. "And now I have to put in the work to actually graduate and get out of this place. I'll be done next semester."

1...345678