Were in the City Ch. 23

Story Info
Apart - figuring out what to do next.
7.6k words
4.86
4.8k
11

Part 23 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Liam's POV

Jenkins' Safe House, Province of Quebec

He felt a bit better when he woke up this time. He didn't know what day it was, or where he was, but he could breathe easier. He moved, attempting to sit up using his one unbandaged hand ... there was pain but it was bearable.

Let me help you Liam, don't pull everything apart again please!

He saw Beth rise up from a chair across the room and approach the bed. It didn't take long to get him sitting up and supported by a bunch of pillows behind his back but that simple task took everything he had out of him. He lay back, feeling dizzy. Beth handed him a glass.

Here, drink. I'll get you something to eat. Don't try to get out of bed, don't pull out the IV, don't be stupid ... got it? We'll talk when I get back, just be patient. We are safe here right now, please believe me.

Liam nodded. Where are Jacob and Jessie?

Beth sighed, looking stern. When I get back with food. Just stay put.

He drank everything in the glass, put it down and closed his eyes. Jessie? ... Jacob? ....

Only Beth answered. They are not here right now Liam but its ok. Just relax. I'll be with you in a few minutes.

He was in a house. The bedroom window was open behind closed curtains and he could hear traffic in the distance ... a busy road, maybe a highway. Beth had gone downstairs, he could hear her moving around in what he assumed was the kitchen, but he heard no one else.

Beth are we alone?

Yes, it's just the two of us. Don't worry, its ok. I'll explain everything while you eat.

As he waited Liam tried to remember what had happened. It was all very confused after he'd been shot in the chest the second time. He'd told Tim to pile a bunch of furniture in front of the broken tunnel door in case anyone else tried to get through and stayed conscious long enough to tell Tim to take him upstairs to Jessie. After that, there were only brief impressions of things ... on the floor with someone pressing on his chest, Jessie crying, lying down in a moving car, Jacob yelling, Beth telling him he was going to be alright, and being afraid, very afraid, of something. There had only been a handful of times in his long life where he'd been very seriously hurt. It appeared this time probably ranked second in his list of critical incidents. He had to be ahead of Jacob in tout juste points now.

Beth came upstairs with a big mug of soup and some toast. Eat this ... slowly. If it agrees with you I'll expand your food choices some more later.

Liam started taking sips and bites. Tell me where we are, what's going on? Where are the others?

Beth nodded, switching to voice. "I want you to listen and sit still, understand? You are too weak to go anywhere right now, if you try you'll just hurt yourself and I'll have to patch you up. I've done that two times already and I don't want to do it again. Ok?"

"Yes, fine. I'll behave. Now talk!"

"We are in a house in Quebec that Bill Jenkins rented. It's only the two of us, Bill and his wolves have gone back home. He couldn't risk taking you onto his pack land and there was nowhere else for you to go so I said I'd stay with you until you were able to look after yourself and decide what you wanted to do. Bill helped the Were Jacob rescued move on to other places before he left so that's all taken care of."

"Where are Jessie and Jacob?"

"I know where they went. I don't know what's happened to them though. Bill will call if he hears anything. Jessie drove Jack Richard to Timmins Ontario, where he was to meet up with another three Richard family members before they flew out of the country. She didn't tell anyone but Bill what she was going to do. When Jacob found out he went after her. That was five days ago."

Liam looked stricken, "Shit! You've heard nothing? Someone has to find out what's happened, they may need help."

"I know it's hard, I'm very worried for them both too. But there is nothing we can do for them at the moment. You have to heal, regain your strength, the faster the better. Bill called last night to fill me in on what's going on around us here right now. We have to keep our heads down. The Algonquin Pack attacked Helen's group ... the truce is broken. Apparently Helen is being blamed, but we know it wasn't her doing. Our adventures on the Richard estate are all wrapped up in this, Bill's attack is assumed to be Helen's fault. Nobody yet knows Bill and his wolves were there. The Algonquin Alpha and his family are dead, a Beta has taken control and has fought off several challengers already. Bill doesn't know what's happened to Helen, no one is answering when he calls the contact numbers he has."

"Liam, Bill needs to talk to you. He doesn't know what he should do now. There are members of the Council who want to wipe out all the rogues they can find, saying that Helen's aberrations have been tolerated for far too long and that this was the inevitable result. Bill's spoken to the few Alphas he trusts, telling them he knows that Helen is not to blame, but he says there are not enough votes to defeat a motion to destroy Helen's group."

Liam nodded, "Get him on the phone for me, I'll do what I can to help. How close are we to Helen's property?"

Beth shrugged, "Maybe six hours by car, but there's no safe way in there, its surrounded." She pulled a phone out of her pocket, intending to select Jenkins' contact info but Liam stopped her.

"Give it to me. I have to check something first."

He tapped in a number and selected speaker mode. It was a voice mail system. Liam played the two messages he found there:

Den under attack. Do not approach. Defend as necessary, please do not attack. Switch to contact option four.

Two birds, one gone, one sings in a new cage. Mother is in the shower. Defend as necessary, please do not attack. Switch to contact option four.

Beth sighed, "I get the first message ... I hope you understand the reference to option four ... but what's the second one?"

"Helen found her leak ... two people it seems ... one's dead, the other is alive and talking. That might help if she has to prove the Algonquin wolves attacked her not the other way around. The second message was left two days ago. At that time Helen was still alive and 'shower' tells me where. Ok, now let's talk to Jenkins."

***************************

Jessie's POV

In the wild, west of Timmins Ontario

Catching squirrels was hard work. The pesky critters moved like lightening, were hard to sneak up on, and when they got away from you up a tree they started yelling at you, warning every other squirrel in the area. You had to eat at least six to stave off hunger pangs, and Jessie was hunting for two since Jacob was working with just three good legs at the moment. He could spot prey and drive it to her, but wasn't maneuverable enough to reliably catch the small creatures they were subsisting upon. He wasn't helpless, two nights ago he'd caught two rabbits - but really, in 2020, why couldn't they just order lots of pizza to go! She fantasized about finding a phone, ordering food, and getting an Uber-Eats driver to deliver it to a convenient highway mile marker.

She was a city girl and the wild life was getting old fast, however much her other half loved the sights, smells, and the freedom. She'd been in gryphon form continuously now for four days, longer than ever before. It had rained for most of the day yesterday and she'd found out just how much fun (not!) it was to be a soggy bird-wolf. Turns out wet feathers were not as insular as wet fur. Once they'd stopped moving for the day Jacob had had to curl around her to warm her up. Being special had its drawbacks. Jessie was very glad it was summer -- winter in the wild would be much more complicated.

They had a destination in mind and were getting close.

After she and Jacob had hugged, kissed and groped the heck out of each other when she woke up in the SUV they'd had to decide which direction to travel. Getting their hands on a phone was top priority. Once they knew what was happening elsewhere and where Liam was they could decide what to do next. Jessie was all for heading directly to the nearest town, but Jacob wanted to move at least a few days away from the car before taking any chance of being seen. Touching him, she could tell he was hiding something from her. When she confronted him he told her what he had done at the airport.

To say she was mad about it would be putting it mildly. Jacob had made himself a massive target for the remaining Richards, declaring himself still alive and the sole reason for Peter's death, Jack's disappearance, and whatever had happened to the plane (which she suspected wasn't going to be good for those on board unless they'd landed before dawn). Of course Jacob had done it to protect her from their vengeance, to hide her special abilities as long as possible ... and there was also the need to declare his own retribution for past Richard actions ... but now Mark and Stephen Richard would use everything they had to hunt him down. Overall, it made things worse for her family damn it!

But what was done was done. Move on, figure out the next step. As they'd tried to decide, Jessie remembered what her father had said in his letter. There were two wolves in ShortLac who might help her. Using the navigation device in the car she saw that place was only about 150 miles west, and nobody other than Liam would have any reason to think they'd go there. Jacob agreed it was unpredictable and far enough from the car, so off they went (after trashing the nav device so no one would know what they'd been looking at!)

They were close to the Hundred Lakes Pack land now, and had to be very careful. They couldn't cross the boundary without permission. Moving back to the highway, they followed it, passing a sign that said ShortLac was 5 miles ahead. A side road a mile later had wolf scent markings all around it and they stopped.

This is the boundary. Go down that road. There should be a gate, a sentry station. Call for me if anything feels wrong or goes wrong. Ok?

Jessie nodded. Yes. Let me have that shirt now.

She shifted back to human form, untied a man's shirt from around Jacob's neck and put it on, leaving the watch and medical kit that were held in it with him. After hugging Jacob, she turned and started walking bare footed and bare legged down the road.

*********************

Beth's POV

Jenkins' Safe House, Province of Quebec

She had done it ... OMG, all four of them gone! The news from Bill was stunning. Peter Richard was dead in Timmins, the other three presumed dead when the Richard jet went down over the ocean. Beth would have been terrified that Jessie was also on the plane except Bill had information from the Alpha Council that a man tentatively identified as one of the de Vries brothers had been seen leaving the airport. She and Liam knew Jacob would have died before he left Jessie in Richard hands. If he was alive, she was too.

Mark and Stephen Richard were demanding an immediate all-out hunt for the one responsible for Peter's death but the chaos they'd set in motion was working against them. The Council had much bigger problems to deal with. Beth knew that wouldn't stop the Richards from finding wolves and humans willing to look for Jacob. With their deep pockets and desire for revenge the bounty on de Vries heads had to be astronomical now.

Bill had pointed something out, if they could find a way to use it ... in this instance Jacob was not guilty of anything under pack law. His actions were justifiable as a pack member rescuing his Alpha from being kidnapped. It could be argued that the de Vries brothers were no longer rogues. It made Jessie responsible for them to some degree, so there were certainly ways it could come back to bite her if they were not careful but it was an important thing to keep in mind just in case. Bill suggested that Beth stay linked to Jessie for the time being, to keep the pack idea viable as long as possible.

So much for quiet, peaceful twilight years. It had been getting rather boring anyway. She hadn't felt this alive and vital in a long time. Whatever she could do, she would do.

She listened as Liam and Bill talked, wondering if there was any way to save Helen Lavalle.

"Helen didn't break the treaty, the Richards and their Algonquin allies did. We know that. The events on Richard land were not Helen's doing. We know that. We all have to come forward and say so. Will the Council listen if we do?"

"Maybe ... but there's no predicting the outcome for you Liam, or your brother, or Jessie. It will likely mean you pay with your lives to stop this war, to save Helen and the others on her property. And we may not stop it even if we come forward. There are Alphas who find this a perfect excuse to get rid of Helen, they'll be very hard to stop."

Liam went silent for a few moments, then he took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. "Jenkins, how many pack wolves do you think there are right now in North America?"

"I haven't seen the latest numbers, but it's got to be around 30,000."

Liam nodded, "And how many rogues and other unaligned Were do you think there are in North America?"

"I don't really know, but my impression from everything I've ever heard is maybe a few hundred at most?"

Liam gave a small laugh, "Yes, that is what you pack wolves think isn't it. You think you are the dominant Were on this continent. What would you say if I told you that the unaligned count here is higher than your pack count ... and it's the same situation around the world. You are outnumbered by Helen's network. It extends so far beyond her property, you have no idea. If she wanted to, she could ask her partners, allies, friends to make life hell for pack wolves everywhere ... but she won't do it unless your Alpha Council does something stupid like declaring war on the unaligned. Do that, and they'll fight back."

"How did the unaligned number grow so big?!"

"Our numbers were never as small as the wolf packs thought. We started surviving, thriving, reproducing. We found each other, helped each other. As technology progressed we were able to stay in touch over long distances ... we don't have a pack bond to communicate but that isn't a problem. Helen started it, her daughter Lily took it to another level, made an association that has grown into something formidable. We have our independence, we don't all live the same way, like the same things, but we've learned to respect each other -- wolves and every other kind of Were you can think of. "

"Jenkins, you and your Council don't know how close you came to disaster 20 years ago the first time Helen's property was attacked and Lily was killed. If Helen had died ... my God, she was barely alive and in agony from her injuries and her daughter's death, yet she commanded everyone to keep the situation contained to the two packs who had done it. Your Council owes Helen Lavelle more than you all will ever understand!"

Beth spoke up, "Bill, I heard a message for Helen's group just a short while ago. It says in part, 'Defend if necessary, please do not attack'. She is still trying to keep a lid on things."

"Jenkins, we've carefully hidden what we are until now. I have to talk to Helen, I think I can find her. If she agrees to it, we can make it clear to your Council that any attempt to wipe out rogues, attacking any unaligned Were, would be foolish. We can put a stop to that idea now."

"The Council won't believe you. I'm not sure I believe it."

"I know ... but we'll find a way to convince you all ... and then the Council had better decide that Helen deserves an Alpha-level seat at their table immediately if they know what's good for them."

**********************

Jessie's POV

Hundred Lakes Pack Boundary

As she rounded a curve in the road she spotted the gate and two guards. Walking slowly, she raised her hands. They watched her approach until she got within speaking distance. The breeze was blowing her scent towards them and she could see both of them were trying to work out what she was.

"Stop where you are. Who are you and what do you want?"

"My name is Robin. I would like to meet with two wolves from your pack. Their names are Kyle and Dora Andrews. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of your Alpha. I'm sure I have to talk to him or her first. Would it be possible to arrange a meeting today?"

"Kyle doesn't know anyone named Robin."

"You are speaking with him now? Great! Could you tell him that my father said Kyle and Dora would help me if I needed it. Tell him my father was Samuel Taylor."

Jessie watched them watching her, knowing there was a lot of silent conversation going on.

"Kyle wants to know the name of the German Shepherd pup your father took care of as a boy."

Jessie laughed, "The dog was a Toy Poodle and his name was Leonardo."

The guard nodded, "Stay there and wait."

She nodded back and looked around, finding a large boulder at the side of the road to sit on. She pulled the shirt down as far as she could -- it still wasn't comfortable being so exposed to others.

So far so good Jacob. I'm waiting outside the gate for someone to arrive now.

It was at least half an hour before a truck drove up to the gate. Two men and a woman got out. Jessie stood and walk up as close as she dared, waiting for them to speak first.

"My name is Robert Billings. I am Alpha here. This is Kyle Andrews, Beta, second in command, and his wife Dora."

Jessie couldn't help it, she found her attention drift from the Alpha to stare intently at Kyle and Dora. They both stared back. He looked unhappy and she looked curious. Jessie forced her gaze back to Billings.

"Thank you for meeting me. I'm sorry to have showed up at your boundary without prior warning. I would have done this differently if circumstances hadn't forced me to do it this way."

The Alpha was scenting the air. He seemed very tense. "What are you? ... What do you want?"

"I'm a wolf, but a bit different from you all. My father Samuel was human, my mother was Were. I need some help." Jessie waved her hands down her body, "All I've got is the shirt I'm wearing. I'm hoping for a loan, some money so I could get a phone, some clothes ... and maybe borrow a car? I have urgent business to take care of but I'm stuck right now, far from my home."

"What is your pack? Where is home?"

Jessie gave a deep sigh, "The answer to the first question is complicated and lengthy I'm afraid. Home is the West Coast, where I've lived my entire life."

"You are either a pack member or not. It's not a difficult question! So name your pack or go. We do not deal with rogues, especially now."

Jessie nodded, "So it's happened has it? The Algonquin Pack has attacked Helen Lavalle's property?"

Kyle spoke up, "You've got it backwards! Rogues attacked a pack. Are you involved with them?"

Dora exclaimed, "Don't answer that! Rob ... Kyle ... if she's Sam's daughter then surely we can help her. She's not asking for much." Dora looked at Jessie, "Sam Taylor never told us his wife was Were. We never met Cecile. We knew they had a daughter, but her name was not Robin."

Jessie smiled at her, "Sorry, I was being cautious. My real name is Jessie." Dora nodded, looking relieved. Jessie looked back at the two men, "You've got it backwards. What is happening in Quebec is not Helen's fault. The Richards and the Algonquin Pack set this all up -- they are the ones at fault, they broke the truce not Helen. May I approach you? I promise I mean no one here any harm."

The Alpha hesitated then nodded. Jess walked up to the gate and stuck her hand through the bars. "Will one of you take my hand? Please?"