Were in the City Ch. 24

Story Info
Finally! - Stepping into the whirlwind.
6.2k words
4.86
4.5k
11

Part 24 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alpha Robert Billings' POV

Hundred Lakes Pack

He was exhausted and hungry. So was everyone else. All the fires were finally out. The county fire department and local police had left after asking many, many questions. Although he was owner of the ranch and mayor of ShortLac he had no answers to give the human authorities as to who would commit arson or why, except to wonder how anyone on his ranch or in the town had so pissed off someone that they would risk disaster by setting fire to the forest during the summer. It was very lucky that there had been a community gathering last evening, so many people right there and able to help extinguish the blazes.

As the last police car was pulling away from the front gate it stopped and one of the officers got out to tell him they'd just received word that a similar thing had happened overnight to two other properties, one near the western border of Ontario and the other about 300 miles north-east of ShortLac. Apparently whatever was going on was bigger than being pissed off with one ranch. The message "Respect us" had been left at the other places too.

Shit!

********************************

Jessie's POV

Hundred Lakes Pack

She and Jacob had initially been taken to a large house and told to stay there. They had watched for a while until people began showing up with injuries (thankfully nothing serious) or overcome by smoke and heat. They had ended up helping out in any way they could. It was now just after noon and many of the pack had gathered around the front of the house, sitting or lying down in the shade wherever they could find a spot. Children had been released from safe rooms where they had been sheltered and had rejoined their parents.

Billings walked into the room where she and Jacob were sitting, said "Come with me", and walked out onto the deck that circled the building.

"Can everyone hear me? I'm going to talk for the benefit of these two visitors." He paused for a moment, looking around. "It's been a long night and I know everyone is tired. The damage looks worse than it is. The zone outside the fence that I know you all complain about keeping clear of growth saved us from becoming the centre of a major forest fire." He gave a tired sigh, "We are going to sleep in shifts after everyone has had a chance to eat. We'll be tripling the guards around the property until we find out what is going on. Nobody goes outside the boundary alone."

Billings nodded, and answered a question Jessie and Jacob couldn't hear, "Yes, it wasn't just us. This happened to at least two other packs in the province. I'll be talking to their Alphas this afternoon." He looked over at his visitors and shook his head, "I don't know for sure, but I don't think what happened has anything to do with them. They are not prisoners here at the moment but they are not free to move around without an escort." He suddenly laughed, along with all the other pack members, "Yes Francis you may have two desserts today for being so brave all night ... ok, everyone go eat and get cleaned up. Dora will let you know which shift you are in."

Billings walked over to some chairs, sitting down and gestured for Jessie and Jacob to do the same. He looked troubled as he said, "Was I right to say that this situation has nothing to do with you?"

Before she could say anything Jacob spoke up, "Not directly no ... but I've been thinking ... I have a suspicion about what might be going on. I would suggest you call the head of your Alpha Council and ask if he knows anything about it. I think he will."

Billings looked surprised but nodded, stood up and pulled a phone out of a pocket. As he walked down the deck to have a private conversation Jessie stared at Jacob.

Huh? What's your guess?

Helen. She's under attack. If it's going badly she could be proving she can mobilize a lot more resources than the Council thinks she has. If it was her, she's making sure lots of Alphas get that message ... I'll bet a lot more than Billings and two other packs got a visit last night.

Jenkins said Liam told him something about rogues that he didn't believe ... is this what he was talking about?

Could be. If this is Helen's doing then her situation must be really serious. She wouldn't reveal the extent of her influence unless things were going right off the rails.

What will it mean for us? Can we get out of here? I want us to get to Liam and Beth as soon as possible.

Jacob sighed, I'm sure Billings doesn't want to keep us around. As long as we don't say who I am we should be able to go ... but I'm not sure we can get past the hunters on our own. They could have called in reinforcements. And even if we do we could be followed, and then we'd just be leading trouble to Liam and Beth. They wanted me dead but not you ... so they've been told you are valuable alive.

So you figure Mark and Stephen Richard know where we are?

We have to proceed on that assumption yes. The hunters might be freelancers, waiting to get us before saying anything to anyone, but we cannot count on that.

Is this pack in danger Jacob?

I hope not but we should move on as quick as we can.

Jessie nodded, about to ask more questions but Billings returned and sat down with a thump. "So the Queen of Rogues is fucking with us all is she?! Quite the stunt she pulled last night I'll give you that, but she's put a spotlight on us all damn her!"

Jacob asked softly, "How bad?"

"Every pack in North America! A variety of incidents all involving fire and the same message. Even managed to reach that pack on an island with a blazing boat driven onto their beach. She's got the Council's attention ... which I'm sure was the point. We'll be meeting later today. Thank heavens for videoconferencing, I'll be able to get a couple of hours of sleep before that if I'm lucky."

Jessie was worried and had to ask, "What did the pack wolves do that made Helen go this far? Isn't it still a war between Helen, the Richards and the Algonquin Pack?"

Billings nodded, "At the moment yes, but the solution isn't going to be another negotiated cease-fire. The Council is going to vote on wiping her out completely ... along with all the rogues and any other Were supporting her that we can find."

Jacob cursed loudly, staggering to his feet eyes blazing. Billings came to his feet as well, growling a warning.

Jacob! Don't you dare shift!

She stepped between the two of them, grabbed Jacob's good arm and stared at him, her eyes changing.

She spoke to Billings, her back to him, "Were you going to vote yes to that?"

She heard him sigh, "I was not, no matter how much pressure I've been receiving to say yes. I hate the arrogant, heavy-handed stance of many on the Council. Besides, there's a family of WereCougars in this area I count as friends and who have helped me in the past ... I couldn't condemn them. It wouldn't make a difference though, the no side is outnumbered."

See Jacob, he's a good man. Sit down and rest ... please.

Jessie turned around and sat down after Jacob did the same. "Do you think Helen's show last night will change things now?"

Billings shrugged, "I don't know. It should make everyone take a step back and think ... but she's threatened us all. And she's given the human authorities something to wonder about. They'll be looking at every property that had an incident last night ... that is not something the Council can overlook."

She sighed, "Yesterday at the gate I told you that the truce was not broken by Helen but by the Algonquin Pack. I know this for certain. I know quite a bit about how this current mess came to be. Can I be present during the Council meeting later today?"

Jessie, what are you doing?

She reached out and took Jacob's hand. The Richards want me afraid, hiding, so they can have time to come up with another plan to get back what I have. Even if it eventually costs me my life I will not allow the alpha mantle to be back in their hands. I can make a difference here and now. I have to do it. I'll protect you and Liam, I promise.

Billings shook his head, "Alphas and Betas only at a Council meeting. Unless called as a witness for some reason you can't be present ... and you are a rogue, so it's likely I'd have to detain you. Not safe for you."

Jessie smiled and said softly, "Let me tell you a few things and let's see if I can change your mind ..."

Four hours later she was sitting with Dora behind the webcam in an office listening to a whole bunch of angry Alphas argue. Billings and Kyle were in front of the camera representing their pack. Jessie wondered if it was possible for them all ever to physically be in the same room together without coming to blows. It was obvious to her within the first 30 minutes that there were some over-the-top personalities in the mix, there wasn't a lot of respect from some for any of the others, and there were a number who were not going to be swayed from the 'all rogues must go' proposal no matter what. She rolled her eyes at Dora, mouthed "OMG", and Dora nodded back.

Ninety minutes into the meeting it was clear there were two issues. First, Helen was being blamed for everything including the deaths of the former Algonquin Alpha and his family. Jessie couldn't see the new Algonquin Pack leader (a beta -- she wasn't going to call him Alpha!) but she could hear him ... she knew he was a lying, back-stabbing slimeball! Second, a significant number of Alphas thought Helen's show of strength was just a bluff. Jessie knew Helen wasn't faking the numbers or her influence -- Jacob had filled her in on that before the meeting.

Dora was keeping a rough tally on who appeared to be for and against the idea of taking Helen out. Billings and Jenkins had talked before the meeting and had done what they could to encourage others to vote no. If Dora's notes were to be believed the numbers for each side were a lot closer than they'd thought. It unexpectedly came to a head when the Algonquin leader called for a vote and it was quickly seconded by another.

The result ended up against Helen by two votes. Jessie took a few moments to weigh her options and decided. She held up her notepad so Billings could see it -- "I reject the Algonquin leader's proxy vote for the Richard Estate and accuse him of killing his Alpha. He has no right to his position."

Billings nodded. "Chairman, there is a challenge on the vote."

Jessie heard a loud groan come through the speakers, "What the hell Rob?! I don't want this whole business mired in a bunch of procedural bullshit. Just accept the result please!"

Billings shook his head, "I'm not going to nitpick. I'm about to throw a bomb into the middle of this. There is someone with me who challenges the Algonquin leader's right to the two votes he wields." He waved at Jessie to come stand beside him.

"My name is Jessie Taylor. The wolf who has claimed the leadership position of the Algonquin Pack has no right to do so. His votes do not count. He is complicit in the murder his Alpha and all his Alpha's family."

Everybody started talking at once. It was all unintelligible until somebody muted a lot of mics and the Chairman was able to speak. "That is a very serious charge. However, in the matter currently before this Council, I can ask the pack's Betas to confirm the Algonquin vote in the leader's place."

Billings spoke up, "Chairman, the rot in the Algonquin Pack may go very deep. I suspect the current Betas may also be complicit in their former Alpha's murder and I propose that the pack's voting rights be suspended for the time being."

Another voice, Jenkins, supported Billings and Jessie saw several other Alphas nod their heads.

There was another groan, "Shit ... very well, the Algonquin votes don't count for now. That leaves a tie which I will have to break. I vote yes, so all this crap Rob is for nothing. It's done."

Jessie glanced at Billings, sighed, and said "Sorry but it's not done. I claim the right to a vote in this matter and to participate in any future Council business as the Alpha heir to the Richard Pack."

*************************

Liam's POV

Jenkins Safe House

He couldn't rest any more. He was going out of his mind. He paced through the house, round and round.

Liam, stop it. Every time you go by me you are a little more hunched over ... and you are going to wear a track in the carpet.

I have to DO something Beth. Put me in a car, get us out of this place. There has got to be somewhere we should be other than here!

Yah, right ... let's go wandering around after every pack got a threatening visit last night. Ever heard the saying 'Shoot first and ask questions later'? That's what every pack wolf will feel like doing right now.

He thought about that for a few moments, Actually it's probably a really good time to move as long as we don't approach pack lands. I'm sure everyone is on lockdown inside their pack boundaries right now. Jenkins said the Council meeting was going to happen late this afternoon, nothing will happen until after that.

And if they don't take Helen's threat seriously? If they go ahead with their plan to deal with rogues?

They couldn't be that stupid ... could they?

Beth snorted, You can't be that naïve .... can you? She sighed, Bill seemed to think there was a chance that enough Alphas would be cautious and at least delay any action, but if that is how it goes it will be far from unanimous.

Beth's phone rang. It's Bill. He walked into the living room to listen in.

"Beth, is Liam there?"

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"I didn't tell you before the Council meeting because I didn't want to worry you both, but a few of us put together a backup plan in case the Council vote went the wrong way ... and I'm sorry to say that it did ... so we ... well, really it was Jessie ... she ... well ... she stood up in front of a camera during the meeting and told the entire Council who she is."

Liam felt sick. Beth grabbed him and moved him quickly to the nearest chair.

He said softly, "Damn you. And damn Jacob for letting her do it."

"It was her idea Liam. Her choice. And it worked. The Council has delayed the decision on rogues until Jessie's claim is heard, which will happen in two days. Jessie needs Beth as a witness. You need to get to the Hundred Lakes Pack property as soon as you can. The Alpha there, Robert Billings, has offered Jessie and three of her pack temporary sanctuary. It's where Jacob and Jessie are now."

Jenkins gave them the details of the vote and everything Jessie had said. "You need to tell Helen what's going on. If Jessie's claim is accepted, she has one vote and the chance to be heard about what she knows of who attacked whom etc. She's hoping that will change more votes in Helen's favour. If the Algonquin vote somehow comes back into play and nobody else changes sides, it's a tie again and the Chairman breaks the tie -- not a good idea."

Three hours later, he and Beth were on the highway headed to ShortLac. He'd spoken to Helen, who was as worried as he was about what Jessie had done ... but also grateful and very impressed by her courage. They had talked about contingency plans should the vote go the wrong way -- none were pleasant to contemplate but it wasn't like they'd never discussed this scenario before. Helen assured him that she and all those allied with her were prepared.

*************************

Beth's POV

Hundred Lakes Pack

She and Liam had driven in through the front gate about an hour ago ... well, really she had driven in while Liam had hidden in the back just in case anyone was watching. They had been warned about the wolves that had tried to kill Jacob a few days earlier.

Beth was pretty sure Alpha Billings had guessed who his two male guests were after taking his first look at Liam but to his credit he'd said nothing. They had sanctuary for now but true safety was a long way off, if it ever happened at all.

She was exhausted, having travelled through the night. The beta named Dora seemed nice and had shown her to a room where she could sleep. After a quick shower she collapsed on the bed. As she drifted off, she smiled to herself. At least her bedroom was at the other end of the hall from Jessie's. The way Liam had been staring at Jessie, Beth was absolutely sure sleep wasn't what he needed first.

***********************

Jessie's POV

Hundred Lakes Pack

She awakened slowly and stretched carefully, not wanting to wake either of the two men she was happily sandwiched between. They were both still healing and needed their rest. She grinned, very pleased with herself. She'd done a lot of the 'work' in their reunion a few hours ago, which had been a change, but not at all difficult once they'd figured out what hurt and what didn't. Nobody had just wanted to cuddle. Liam's tongue was uninjured (and OMG still magical) and even with two arms out of commission there had been enough hands for whatever was needed. She'd checked them both over carefully afterwards, expecting at least some patching up would be necessary, but somehow they'd managed to thoroughly enjoy themselves without damage.

She was able to get out of bed without disturbing them and stood looking at them both for a few moments. She hoped the future would give them more time just like this - peaceful and unrushed. Their love, so strongly felt when they touched skin-to-skin, gave her energy and strength for whatever was to come.

As she showered she ran through ideas for how to present her claim to the Council. Jenkins had told her yesterday that he had sent the blood samples she'd given him to a lab for genetic analysis as soon as he'd returned home, so they'd have the results for tomorrow's meeting. With proof that she was related to Jack Richard and Beth Parker, Beth's testimony of her grandmother Miriam's existence, the family history from her father's letter (which she could provide at a later date if somebody wanted to see the original document) and both Jenkins and Billings testifying that they were able to sense her Alpha status ... surely that would be enough.

If Mark or Stephen Richard tried to discredit her claim they'd ruin their own idea of claiming her child's mantle, so she didn't expect they'd do that. If her claim was recognized then others had said she'd be challenged to prove she was strong enough to keep the Alpha position. Would the Richards care about that? If she lost an Alpha challenge wouldn't she be dead and the mantle lost? If they still wanted the mantle to exist might they make sure nobody would challenge her ... at least for a little while? It was very odd to hope for that, but she did (however much her other half was itching for her to prove her strength).

Whatever happened she would have to deal with it. If that meant she had to fight somebody then she'd figure it out ... but OMG ... it just seemed so wrong ... so outdated. Just because you could kill somebody didn't prove you were a good leader, only that you were a better fighter (and/or luckier!) in the moment than your opponent. Helen wasn't an Alpha but she was respected and a leader -- and Liam had told her that she was paralysed, leading from a wheelchair. Power didn't always have to come from tooth and claw. There was also plenty of evidence that there were pack wolves that would cheat in their system, never put themselves at risk yet wield a great deal of influence and control.

Having missed breakfast and lunch, Jessie was very hungry and went looking for something to eat. She made herself a couple of sandwiches in the large kitchen as pack members moved in an out. When Alpha Billings appeared and sat down to drink a cup of coffee she decided to ask for a favour.

12