Were in the City Ch. 26

Story Info
One step at a time.
9k words
4.86
4.7k
10

Part 26 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jessie's POV

Algonquin Pack Land

Three Alphas and four Betas got out of their respective cars. Standing in front of the Algonquin Pack main gate they sized each other up. Jessie felt the presence and power of the two older Alphas as they tried to get her other half to submit to them ... no way that was going to happen! She would respect them (for now) but she wasn't going to be anything other than an equal here.

Jessie broke up the staring contest everyone was having. With a disdainful growl, she turned and walked up to the one (only one?!) guard at the gate and introduced herself.

"I'm Jessie Taylor, Alpha of the Richard Pack. We've come for your leader, Charles, and the three other Betas that are currently linked to him."

The guard shook his head, "Charles isn't here. We don't know where he is. He broke his link to our pack early this morning and has disappeared."

The Alpha who was Council Chair walked up beside her, cursing furiously as he overheard the Algonquin wolf's information. "Has anyone stepped into the leadership role, do you have a pack link?"

The guard shook his head again, looking worried. "No, it's broken. We are no longer a pack. Everyone is trying to figure out what to do now, many want to leave, some have already left."

Jessie spoke up, "Where are the three Betas?"

"Two were sent out last night to check up on the wolves patrolling the Lavalle property and haven't returned. One is here ... he's useless."

Jessie looked over at the Chairman, "Did you really think your command during the meeting yesterday to stay and face the consequences was going to be obeyed? I'm not surprised they are gone ... and if you are, you're a fool."

He growled at her, "Watch your tongue girl."

"Don't 'girl' me ... and I heard you called a lot worse in the council meeting yesterday. Is that why the meetings aren't open to all wolves? If the rank and file saw what a fucking mess their leaders are would there be wholescale revolt?"

"You know nothing."

"Yah, I've heard that before. I may be new but I can still tell that a lot of things are reaching a tipping point. You've got to see that too. How many other packs are in serious trouble?"

The Algonquin wolf was staring at them wide-eyed. The Chairman muttered, "A discussion for another time ..." He looked at the guard, his Alpha wolf pushing forward. "Open the gate and let us in. No one is to leave without my permission, do you understand?"

The guard nodded. Everyone got back in their cars and drove to up to a large house surrounded by smaller buildings, a similar setup (eerily similar) to the one Jessie had seen on the Richard property.

She looked at Jacob and Liam, Damn it! Do the same things happen here as there?

Jacob sighed and Liam nodded, Yes.

A warning would have been nice! Is there going to be any wolf here that I won't reject?

They will all know at least of some of what goes on, but not all will have participated or approved of it. You can sort them out. Nobody can lie to you and get away with it.

The Chairman and the other Alpha know don't they ... are they in on all the crap?

They've been around a long time and are mixed up in some of it. How much we can't be sure, but they are not innocents that's for damn sure.

Liam looked at her. The plan hasn't changed. Trust no one other than each other, none of us goes anywhere alone.

Jessie took a deep breath and nodded, Right.

They watched the Chairman gather together all the Algonquin wolves that could be found in front of the main house. Phone calls were made to return everyone who could be reached back to pack property as soon as possible. A few people were talking in whispers but most were standing or sitting silently, looking lost. Standing on the porch with the other visitors, Jessie counted just over 60 wolves, mostly women with children, young adults and the elderly. The warriors were missing.

Eventually the senior Alpha started talking, "The Algonquin Pack is under leadership challenge. In two days Alpha Jessie Taylor" ... she saw him nod in her direction ... "will meet Beta Stephen Richard in the Algonquin circle. No one is to leave this property until the challenge is done. Any Algonquin wolf who is away is recalled now. No one is to carry weapons of any kind unless you are on guard duty at the boundary. For the next two days I am in charge here. I will not ask you to accept me as your Alpha for just two days but I expect you all to behave and wait."

Someone in the crowd called out, "Will any wolf who does not want to stay be allowed to leave when the challenge is over?"

"Yes, of course. Our laws will be followed. If you wish to leave you should make sure another Alpha agrees to take you before you go. Going rogue is not a smart or safe choice."

Jessie's excellent hearing picked up various whispered comments, all of which were expressing the same thought: staying was not a smart or safe choice either.

"You all need to know that your former leader Charles and three beta wolves have been condemned by the Alpha Council for the murder of their Alpha and his family. Charles and two of the betas are not here. Does anyone know where they are?"

There was only silence in response.

The Chair sighed, "Very well. They are declared rogue and will be hunted down. We now have to deal with the one beta still here." He signaled to someone over the heads of the crowd. Jessie saw the Beta seconds of the other two Alphas drag a silver-collared young man forward to the base of the porch stairs and drop him on the ground.

Jessie was shocked. No! He's can't be more than 20 years old for heaven's sake!

Wolves are considered adults at 18 Jessie. He may be young but he has his rank and carries the responsibilities of that rank.

What choices did he have? If he'd challenged Charles he'd have died like the others did. If he'd tried to escape this pack he'd have been killed or he'd be a rogue. I have to know if he deserves his sentence or not!

Before Jacob or Liam could say anything more, she walked down the stairs and grabbed the young man's bare arm. Looking into his terrified eyes, she said "Did you want your Alpha and his family to die?"

"No! ... no ... I didn't want it. His son was my friend. I didn't know what was going to happen until it did. I was just the lookout, Charles ordered me to stay where I was and keep everyone away from the garage." He started shaking, "I'm sorry, really sorry, I didn't know what to do. Everyone who challenged Charles died. I didn't want to die ..."

Jessie nodded, let go of his arm and looked up at the Chairman. "He doesn't deserve his sentence. I ask that you allow him to live."

The Alpha shook his head, "No."

"He was tricked. He didn't choose what he did. He is a very junior beta without the strength or experience to have changed anything. He's young and still has much to learn. I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences for him but a death sentence is wrong."

"You ask one question, believe his answer just like that? He's afraid to die ... he's weak ... and he's lying."

Jessie looked back at the young man. "Will you accept me as your Alpha? If you do, I will compel you to tell the truth so think carefully before you answer."

Jessie, don't! If you accept him, you'll be forced to carry out his sentence!

I know, but I have to try to save him.

He stared at her, his wolf overwhelmed by her strength. She held his arm again, saying softly "If I can I will save your life, but your life will not be easy if you live. I don't believe you are weak, you've just had terrible role models in a fucked up pack. Take a chance with me."

He took a shaky breath and nodded.

"Who has the key for his collar? Get it off him now."

Once he was free of the silver he said "I accept you as my Alpha."

She felt the pack link with him snap into place. "Edward, I command you to tell the truth. Did you want your former Alpha and his family to die?"

After ten minutes of questions and answers it was obvious he had been manipulated, overpowered by Charles and the other two betas, and had no one to turn to for help. It was clear to Jessie that all the wolves of the Algonquin Pack were a mess. They didn't trust each other or their leaders, they feared each other. If Stephen Richard won the challenge in two days this wasn't going to change one bit ... it would probably just get worse.

She looked up at the other two Alphas, "You have the power to change his sentence. I ask you to do so. If you spare his life, he will start over at the bottom and have to earn back his rank if he can. I guarantee you, it will not be an easy process or a quick one."

The other two turned away from the crowd to discuss the situation. Jessie walked up the stairs to join in. The Chairman was shaking his head, "We have to set an example. There are over a hundred wolves in this pack and we must bring the situation under control immediately."

Jessie looked at him, not hiding her disgust. "His death won't scare them into obeying, they are all far past that point. The ones that want to stay worry me more than the ones who want to run. Is this how you lead your packs, with fear? If it is, look to your own necks!"

"Very well, have it your way. Mercy it is. In two days you'll be dead and then he'll be Stephen Richard's problem."

Jessie clenched her hands hard, using every ounce of will power she had to keep her talons from appearing. She spat out, "I wouldn't bet on that if I were you."

When mercy for Edward was announced she saw a ripple of surprise run through the gathered wolves. They hadn't expected it. It was getting late, darkness was falling. After ensuring there were still wolves patrolling the pack boundary, everyone else was sent home for the night.

"Edward, come here ... where do you sleep?"

"I have a room in the basement of a house ... over there ...". He pointed to the east.

Do you feel safe staying there tonight?

He shook his head, No Alpha, I don't.

Didn't think so. Edward, these are my seconds, Jacob and Liam. You are ranked omega in my pack and you will obey them as you obey me, do you understand?

He couldn't look any of them in the eyes, and Jessie could sense his wolf's despair.

Edward, I told you it wouldn't be easy. I know more about you than you think. You never finished high school, you have no goals other than staying alive, you haven't had proper training or leadership, and there are many things going on in this pack that are not right. You have a lot to learn and unlearn. First be the best omega you can be for me and our pack ... I believe you'll be more one day, I know it.

He nodded, Yes Alpha.

Good. You'll stay with us tonight.

For the benefit of the other Alphas and their seconds she said the rest out loud, "I want you to bring the three of us dinner. Something simple, sandwiches and coffee will be fine. Make sure you eat too."

He ran up the stairs into the main house. Her command had the others thinking about food too, and the beta seconds got sent to fetch dinner ... grumbling about it ... but Jessie wasn't going to offer her omega's services to them.

She looked at the Chairman, "After we eat I'm going to go for a walk and look this place over. Might as well see what I'll be leading in two days. I assume you have no objection?"

He snorted, "Feel free to look around, but no more offering a pack bond to anyone. You must wait and earn that right by combat."

*****************************

Jacob's POV

Algonquin Pack Land

Nothing they'd seen in the last few hours was a surprise. The only thing that helped was that there was no one locked in the variety of cells they encountered. They'd found every kind of contraband ... in some cases, quite a lot of it ... except people. He could tell Jessie was tired and worried.

What am I supposed to do with it all? Destroy it? Turn it over to human authorities? Is this place just a transportation hub, or have pack resources been used to purchase all this? Who does this pack owe what to? Fuck!

He reached out and grabbed her hand. One step at a time. First you get it, then you keep it, then you pull it apart and put it back together in a better way.

She sighed and nodded. I'm done looking tonight. There's lots to do tomorrow, we have to sleep. Edward, lets walk back along the fence to the front gate. I want to get a report on how many wolves have returned so far before we turn in.

The four of them walked in silence through the dark. Jacob could smell smoke and felt grit in his eyes and throat. They all noticed it. The wind was blowing evidence of the fire consuming Helen's property north to them.

How far away is it?

Liam answered her, About three hours travel by car.

Why did she end up so close to two large pack lands? You'd think wolves would want to spread out more.

She fell in love with the man who owned the initial acreage. As they found themselves giving refuge to wolves and other Were who needed help they needed more space and they acquired more land. It grew over time. Helen's property, along with the Algonquin and Richard lands are the most dense population of wolves in North America. All the other packs are much further apart.

The kid ... who thought of himself as Eddie even though Jessie was insisting on calling him Edward ... was concerned, Could the fire reach us here?

Liam laughed softly. That would be poetic justice wouldn't it! But no, I don't think so. They'll have it contained well before it could get here.

Jacob was happy to see there were now three wolves guarding the main gate. He wasn't happy to see two of them were more interested in their phones than their duty.

He growled, "Put those devices away! Get your eyes, ears and brains focused on what is outside the boundary right now!!"

Jessie asked the one who was taking her job seriously, "Has anyone returned yet?"

She nodded, "Yes. There have been eight in the last hour, they would have been the closest to us. The rest will come in over the next 24 hours I think."

"No one you don't recognize as an Algonquin wolf is allowed entry, correct?"

"Yes Alpha."

"Anyone try to leave?"

She shook her head, "Not through this gate. There are ... uh ... other ways in and out though."

Jessie sighed, "I'm sure there are."

Liam tensed, "Car approaching ... fast ..."

A large black vehicle came into view, looking like it might be attempting to crash through the gate, but it turned in a tight circle within twelve feet of the boundary to head away again. As it turned the back door opened and a body was pushed out onto the road.

Everyone stood still watching for a few moments before Jacob opened the gate and walked out. He knelt down to check for a pulse. There wasn't one. He didn't recognize the man. He waved at the three guards and Edward, "Do any of you know who this is?"

Once they got a good look, all four were nodding. "It's Beta Abe. He's one of the condemned."

"Does he have family here?"

"No. He was single. He has a sister in another pack, that's it."

Jacob dragged the body through the gate. Jessie looked at him, Who did this?

Could have been anyone ... any wolf ... his throat is torn out. The condemned are being hunted. At least this way we know who has been caught.

Jessie pulled out her phone and called the Chairman, describing what had happened. A few minutes later he and his second arrived at the gate in his SUV. After talking to the guards and hearing their identification of the body first hand, his second and one of the guards put the body in the back of the vehicle.

Jessie asked, "What will you do with him now?"

The Chairman shrugged, "His body will be taken far into the woods and left. He was rogue and condemned. No ceremony or remembrance for him."

Another guard called out, "Wolves approaching!"

Jacob saw two come out of the trees onto the road. The guard called to them, "Shift and be identified!" When they did so, approaching the gate, Jacob growled as he recognized one. Liam hissed as he too got a look.

Jessie looked at them, What's wrong?

Liam and I have history with one of them, this could be a problem.

Which one?

The older one with the scars across his face and chest. We've fought before. Some of those scars come from us.

As the two came through the gate and saw everyone else it went to hell fast.

"De Vries! Both of you! What the fuck?!"

The scarred man shifted and launched himself at Liam, who met him with claws and snapping jaws. Soon there were seven wolves in a tangle, with Jacob, the other newly arrived wolf, the Chairman, his second and one of the guards. Jessie managed to keep the other two guards and Edward out of the melee.

It didn't take too long before the scarred wolf was down, a back leg clamped tight in Liam's teeth, and had submitted to the Chairman. The other wolf who had just arrived was pinned down by Jacob and the Chair's second. It took a few minutes more before everyone had shifted back to human form, all of them bloody but nobody dead.

The Chairman was pissed. "THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN! I don't give a shit what issues there are between wolves here, there will be no fighting on this land while I'm in charge, is that clear?!"

Jacob grunted and said, "May I suggest you tell the guards to let every wolf returning know the rules, let everyone know Liam and I are here. I'm sure our history with the Algonquin Pack means there will be others who want a piece of us as well as this one."

He looked at Jessie, and nodded. Good for you, staying out of it. We don't want anyone seeing your gryphon and making judgements too soon.

He laughed silently as she replied, Oh I wanted in on it, but I couldn't see how having me running around on top of you all would have come across as anything other than undignified and silly. I knew those two didn't have a chance.

*******************************

Edward's POV

Algonquin Pack Land

The four of them had slept in their car, one of the others always awake and watching. They'd let him sleep right through. It had been the best sleep he'd had in months, even though he woke up stiff with his legs numb from being folded up in a small space.

He'd heard about the De Vries rogues, and like everyone else in the Algonquin Pack he'd both feared and loathed them. He wasn't old enough to remember the war twenty years ago, he'd just been born. Those who had lived through it, when they talked about it, had made it seem like the De Vries brothers were rabid monsters ten feet tall whose jaws had run red with the blood of hundreds of victims. Their continuing harassment through the years since had infuriated the pack, he'd seen those in charge cursing them many times.

Now he wasn't sure what to think of them. They were strong, and smart ... and through the pack link he now shared with them and Alpha Jessie he could tell they were not monsters. He'd been linked to worse, much worse ... he could sense the difference now.

He wanted to hope for a better future for himself, but he was afraid. If Alpha Jessie lost the challenge tomorrow he'd have to leave right away and he had no friends or family inside or outside this pack to turn to. He'd have to become a rogue or die. He'd seen Beta Stephen Richard, seen his wolf, knew he was a dangerous man ... how was Alpha Jessie going to win? She didn't seem vicious or ruthless enough.

Edward, where can we freshen up? Shower, then get some breakfast?