All Comments on 'Westrons Pt. 01'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
readitallreaditallalmost 5 years ago
Fascinating

Please be quick.

Jbro123Jbro123almost 5 years ago

I like it.

Aspects of Harry Harrisons "stainless steel rat" and a soupçon of "enders game" I look foward to more

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Keep the story going

Hope you keep writing this one, it's good so far.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

Enjoyable. Looking forward to the next installment.

18rabbit18rabbitalmost 5 years ago
Great start

I like this guy. Looking forward to seeing if he does make any friends, though.

Dusu68Dusu68almost 5 years ago
Interesting

So far this story is kinda boilerplate, loner is smarter than everyone else but the system is against him, patiently wowing an aloof female. Well everyone loves an underdog, so I’m willing to read Pt 2 and see if the story gets better.

Master_LokiMaster_Lokialmost 5 years ago
Excellent start

I always look forward to new stories from you. I'm not going to complain about the wait times...good things take time and consideration, but please make the characters get down and dirty a bit more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Outstanding

So happy that you decided to try this genre

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great stuff, as usual

Damn, good stuff. Also, Vannerbehn is my fave story here - ever returning?

cliqueggecliqueggealmost 5 years ago
Love your work

Looking forward to the next instalment

mithanialmithanialalmost 5 years ago

Entertaining and fun story to read. Stick to your story and I'm sure it will be fine. :)

lastman416lastman416almost 5 years ago
Happy to see you return!

And happy to see you writing in a new genre. I hadn’t noticed the similarities to Ender’s Game until a couple other comments pointed it out, and I’m forced to agree.

Compared to your other main characters, however, this one seems bolder, if with a lot of the same “chill” qualities of most of the others (which works for you). Excited to read more!

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 5 years ago
Do I sense...

the embrionic beginning of a Tefler-like saga?

If so...cool! I'm in!

jane marwoodjane marwoodalmost 5 years ago
Very Amusing...

I think he is winning by increments. Small victories undetected by his adversaries, but joyful to his soul. Full of hope and optimism, sometimes carefully disguised by bandages, bruises and swollen lips. A Spike Milligan belligerence, but served up modestly.

Best regards, Jane Marwood

MelanPoncaMelanPoncaalmost 5 years ago
Hehe "...promising career" indeed!

Hey AspernE,

It's good to see you writing again! I've liked all of your other stuff and this one looks like it is going to be fun as well. I'm very much looking forward to reading your next installment (and the next, and the next, etc.), so please keep 'em comin'!

In the intro tho this piece you wrote that the title "Westrons" wouldn't make sense until after the third installment, but as someone who has known a number of military officers, the parallels between Westrons and West Point is pretty hard to avoid. My apologies if I inadvertently gave a spoiler.

BTW, I'm invested in this character, he reminds me of someone I know :-)

Thanks for sharing your fine work,

Mel

AssignedNameAssignedNamealmost 5 years ago
Great start

Glad to see you bringing us another story. This one seems a little different from your previous stories, can't wait to read more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

This is a very interesting beginning. I'm reminded somewhat of Ender's Game, with a dash of Starship Troopers (the book rather than the film).

I can't quite figure out why the military organisation are behaving the way they are. Cook is going through what's obviously officer training, so why they're seemingly trying to produce officers who mindlessly follow orders without a hint of imagination rather escapes me. And doctoring his scores because they don't like him is almost unthinkable.

It's most odd, the combination of all of the above will assuredly result in an inefficient and inflexible command class who'll get into deep trouble the moment the enemy don't play by their rules or conform to their expectations.

Teaching officers to stick to the plan no matter what, instead of teaching that plans must change in the face of changing circumstances almost guarantees disaster in the long run.

The only theory I can muster at this point is that the human empire is outright evil and self-aware of that fact, and wants an officer class who won't deviate from ordered atrocities.

I am most curious to see where you're going with this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Excellent - As usual

Hello Aspern

I really enjoy your writing, the wry humour can always raise a smile.

Regards

Al

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Wow

the way this is written is so smooth its insane. It's like I'm reading butter.

AspernEsslingAspernEsslingalmost 5 years agoAuthor
Anonymous Butter

I had to laugh. Thank you - that's one of the funniest (and best) comments I've ever received.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomealmost 5 years ago

Have to agree about the butter comment. You're an amazing writer. Only reason I waited so long to start reading this was because I wanted there to be more than one chapter to get me started. Loving this story so far.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Not sure why this is so well reviewed.

It's just not very good. Sorry for telling it like it is. I've tried reading a few of your stories, as they're so well reviewed, and I can't understand why. I'm also very curious about how all your stories have 300+ votes an hour after they're published. You must have a very loyal fanbase... Anyway, two stars for me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
You are clearly thinking...

...about plot and character, which goes a long way on this site. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
RE: "Not sure why this is so well reviewed."

Hey Anon, "just telling it like it is" is still being an ass. Why don't you give some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? You know, what you don't like about the stories, and what you think the author could do to make it better.

Personally, I couldn't imagine a prominent military body to be set up and operate in such a way. They must not have had any conflicts for a REAL long time if they think these tactics work in real world scenarios

FljimFljimalmost 5 years ago
First read

Good start.

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 5 years ago
Really like

How "Cook" bucks the system and you stick with him going to see Vanova at the nearly-abandoned hotel. You artfully place each dialogue and visit of his at great places to get a laugh. I think I laughed about each time Vanova said "no" and especially when she switched to "maybe." Cook has far more potential than either this instructors, fellow cadets or Vanova gives him credit for. I'll keep reading, because it's truly original and engaging. What I like most of all is that it's well-grounded.

SpeedySPSpeedySPalmost 4 years ago
Intrigued

This is the first of your stories I will read, and given the beginning, I’m likely to read many more of them. The fact that you take the time to build character is much appreciated. I’m looking forward to the rest.

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 4 years ago
SpeedySP

As you enjoyed ch 1, you'll love following chapters and become more enthralled with the entire series. This is a seriously underestimated writer in the sci-fi genre here, that deserves a LOT more recognition for the outstanding story and character development. Characters get richer and stories more complex and intricate.

This is a well-grounded writer that goes to great lengths to research tales, make them "real" and isn't afraid to advance different characters or even kill off some you might think were "safe." This author makes a decision, sticks with it and sees it through. This is true sci-fi, the right way, by all the recommended best practices that I've seen.

Once you finish this series, I strongly recommend you read "The Chronicles of Hvad," as it's written so well it averages 4.89+ without having to use sex as a crutch like a few so-called "sci-fi writers" greatly abuse.

SpeedySPSpeedySPalmost 4 years ago
Commentarista

You wouldn’t happen to be referring to a certain writer of an epically long sci-fi work that has been repeating dialogue and sex scenes since about chapter 100 would you?

You were absolutely correct about chronicles. I’m all caught up and am enjoying it thoroughly. AspernEssling is one of my top three writers of all time on the site.

cleareyedguycleareyedguyover 1 year ago

I’m pleased to finally get some sense of how this author named himself. He’s a military buff, apparently, of a certain era. I’m way past this 1st chapter, so spoiler alert: my personal Battle of Aspern-Essling is a struggle to keep his stories from chewing up all my free time…

baldy48baldy48about 1 year ago

I like the droll humor.

Comentarista82Comentarista8218 days ago

I chose to reread the opening chapter in the saga because another poster in a different story by the same author asked how it was related.. and I have to tell you there are so many incredibly similarities between that one and this one. I saw my old comment where I got a kick out of the Vanova saying no, but what struck me so solidly and so much harder this time was really basically how much Cook loved to buck the system. He actually wasn't doing it to be a jerk, but rather to try to shake up the institution as in a positive way. The sad part was-- and I think this was part of the charm of the story - - was that the institution didn't care to change, although it really needed to from the poor products it was producing and so called field commanders. Its training was absolutely atrocious, and while you can't exactly teach creativity... you can teach better tactics, so when Cook- - he was really just an above average student -- quips that they clearly had never read Napoleon that really has to make you think. While it sets up a huge part of the rest of the story, it succeeds in making that training so completely ridiculous and actually offensive and undesirable. The beauty of it is though that when you reread something and discover it's actually better than you originally thought- - or better than you recall - - it really makes you appreciate how much the new tale grows in its complexity. The reality is the author's writing is still just as smooth and intricate now as it was back at this time. The interesting difference is that I forgot that some people considered Cook a real asshole, even though he was just trying to draw attention to serious flaws that needed to be rectified.

***

Well blast it... what a shame I cannot write this 5 again!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Westrons Pt. 00 Previous Part
Westrons Series Info