Westrons Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

- "Yes."

- "It's uncommon - not unheard of. But largesse like that usually comes from the extremely wealthy."

- "How much were you thinking?"

- "I'd like to triple their bonuses." That way, I thought, they couldn't spend it all on a single drunken binge. Some of that money could find its way to their families, or be saved.

Countess Aneli stood up.

- "You keep finding ways to impress me, Cook." She handed me a scroll. "I think you were right, Wenzla."

The language was archaic, and convoluted. I was struggling to decipher it, until Aneli rescued me.

"It's a commission, Cook. I want you to command my regiment."

***

We drank several toasts, but I was still having trouble assimilating my new status. I was a Colonel! With my own regiment!

Well, half a regiment. But Aneli assured me that we would have no trouble recruiting.

- "Not after so splendid a victory as Tonol!"

Kanitz explained to me that the size of the royal army was dictated more by arms production than population. There were plenty of Westron females, but only a limited supply of muskets and gunpowder.

We couldn't use captured Crolian firearms, either, because they were too heavy, and fired a different size of bullet.

I understood. My Sleepread education had taught me that muskets were handmade, in small workshops, all over the Kingdom. It was a pre-industrial society, with all the limitations - and all of the advantages that entailed.

Armies were relatively small, in this age, because they couldn't equip or supply - and feed - more soldiers. When I thought of the destruction wrought by mass armies in human armies ... well, it didn't seem like such a bad thing.

I waited, patiently, until Countess Aneli was ready to go.

- "Well, I suppose I'll see you at the parade!" she said.

Once Aneli had gone, Kanitz didn't make me wait - it was one my favourite things about her, along with her beauty, and her intellect. She wasn't the warmest person, but she didn't play little power games.

- "Something on your mind?"

- "I'd like to have Themis as my aide again. Do I make a formal request?"

- "I'm afraid that she's been re-assigned. You can choose anyone else you like."

- "Is there any way to change Themis' assignment?" I asked.

- "No."

***

I managed to convince a merchant in Cercen that my appointment was genuine. He was willing to sell me a case of wine on credit. Armed with my purchase, I returned to Talley's house.

They were more excited than I was. Talley danced a jig, and snapped his fingers.

- "I knew it! I fucking knew it!" he sang, in Terran.

Tisucha hugged me; so did the girls. I swear, they weren't calculating any advantage for themselves - they were genuinely happy for me. Tisucha didn't even want to accept the wine as a gift.

Okay - Talley was probably calculating.

We ate, and drank, and celebrated my good fortune. It was late in the evening before any of us got to sleep.

I lay in the darkness, considering all of the incredible things that had happened to me. Colonel of a regiment. Hero of the battle of Tonol - well, one of the heroes. Pelek and his helpers had meant to maroon me, to expel me, and to ruin for me forever.

Instead, they'd given me exactly what I wanted.

***

- "Cook, when you go to take up your command ..." said Tallia.

- "Yes?"

- "Would you take me with you?"

I nearly choked on my breakfast.

- "Wh- what? You're not even 18 years old!" I was a ripe old 24, myself.

- "She turned 18 three months ago." said Tisucha. "What does that have to do with the price of fish?"

- "Ah - " I didn't have a witty comeback for that. I didn't have any answer at all. Tallia was a lovely girl, and she'd gone out of her way to help me equip myself.

But ...

I organized my objections into three main categories:

1- she was so pretty. So young. Vulnerable.

2- she had no military experience

3A- I didn't want anything to happen to her. War is damned dangerous. How could I face Talley and Tisucha, if I got their daughter killed?

3B - What if she went into hemmer, and I was there, and ... I didn't know if I could face Talley and Tisucha if Tallia came home with twins ...

Of course, I couldn't raise those objections in front of her parents, so I went with 3A.

- "It's too dangerous. Much too dangerous."

Then I fled. I cited urgent regimental business, and ran for it.

***

Aneli led the parade, riding in an ox-cart. The regiment marched behind, with me at their head. I had to find a slow, steady pace, to match the precise, almost-mincing steps of Westron females.

To make matters worse, it was traditional for the marching soldiers to sing - and virtually every song they chose was rude, or ribald in the extreme.

They'd composed a few new tunes for the occasions. When they sang 'Colonel Red-Sash', I wanted to crawl away and disappear. Virtually every spectator seemed to be staring at my sash, trying to catch a glimpse of the 'mighty weapon' it concealed.

'Mighty weapon' rhymed with 'high-steppin'. And the 'city of Tonol, on its giant rock', was saved by my ...

You get the idea.

The troopers enjoyed themselves. All but the females who were in hemmer, or close to it - those unfortunates couldn't participate because it would have caused a city-wide riot and stampede. They were confined to barracks.

Langoret's regiment followed us. I had a chance to speak to her before the parade began.

- "Congratulations, Colonel." she said.

- "It wouldn't have happened without you." I said. "Kanitz showed me your report. You seem to have exaggerated my role, and underplayed yours."

- "I saw what I saw." she said.

- "I saw something very different. But ... thank you."

Tudino and her soldiers should have been there, too, but she was still commander of Tonol, and they were needed there.

At the end of the parade, Aneli announced to her troopers that their prize money was being tripled - courtesy of their new Colonel.

They cheered, of course. I could only hope that I didn't get them all killed in our next engagement.

***

- "I believe that your ideas have merit." said Kanitz. "I will have your ramrods converted to iron. And I will try to find the 3-pounder cannon you've requested. I can't promise results, yet - but I will try."

- "Countess, please take half of my prize money, and put it towards those purchases." I said.

- "Ha!" said Aneli. "Told you he was serious."

"Cook." she said, fixing me with her big grey-blue eyes. "I want you to train my regiment as Light infantry. Just as you explained to us."

- "And I wish to pair my regiment with yours." said Langoret. Now I understood why she'd been invited to join us.

"I want my regiment to learn whatever yours does."

- "I can give you a year." said Kanitz. "To train two regiments, in the style you've described. I wish we could do even more, but my influence is ... finite."

I could feel my chest swelling. Damn! Two full regiments ... working with Langoret ... with full support from Aneli and Kanitz ...

- "I will do my very best." I said.

***

"Could I speak to you for a moment?" asked Esyle.

- "Of course." I said. She was 16 now, and lovely, but I'd already been impressed by her intelligence. Esyle was almost the little sister I'd never had.

- "I don't think you're being fair to Tallia." she said. "You said - many times - that she was invaluable, when she helped to equip you."

- "That's true." I admitted.

- "And you know how intelligent - how capable she is. Tallia can do virtually anything. Why would you refuse to take her as an aide?"

- "I ... ahh ... it could be very dangerous, Esyle."

- "We are Westrons, Cook. Do you think that Tallia is afraid?"

- "No - I wasn't suggesting that. But she has no military experience at all."

- "She knows maps. She can find things. She has an excellent memory, and she's quick to learn."

- "It's not that simple, Esyle."

- "Are you not in our debt? Did my father not help to put you where you are today?"

That was like a bucket of cold water thrown on my face.

- "Really? You're calling in that debt?"

- "For Tallia? Yes." Esyle was awfully fiery, for a 16-year old.

I didn't have a comeback for her. That was how I ended up with Tallia as my aide.

***

Kanitz summoned me to the Palace - again.

- "Dress your best." she wrote. "The Queen wants to meet you."

Tallia went into overdrive. She bought me a new waistcoat, new shoes, new stockings. She bought me another red scarf, too, to use as a sash.

- "It's part of your ... mystique." she said.

I went to the Palace on the appointed day, with Tallia in tow. Her eyes were big as saucers. But she remembered to adjust my cravat and sash before she let me go.

Kanitz took charge of me, after that.

- You look well." she said.

- "What do I say? Or should I just keep my mouth shut?"

Kanitz laughed aloud. "Cook - the Queen is a good friend of mine. She already knows who you are. If anyone will be shy, it's her."

I'd never even considered it that way. Kanitz didn't let me worry too long. She took me straight there, to meet the Queen.

- "Your Majesty, here is Colonel Cook, of the Aneli Regiment."

I'd been told to bow, so I did. When I looked up, I saw the most exquisite blue eyes - they were turquoise. The Queen had blonde hair - light gold in colour. Her nose was lovely, and she had the most incredibly beautiful face ... but I didn't see much, beyond her phenomenal eyes. I was mesmerized.

Maia Matila, Queen of the Westrons, was perhaps the loveliest woman I'd ever seen.

- "We are so very ... grateful, Colonel Cook." she said. "For your efforts on our behalf."

- "I hope to do much more, in your service, Majesty."

She reached down, to take my hand (I was kneeling at her feet). She pressed something into my hand. My fingers closed around it.

- "Her Highness Maia Ariana." said Kanitz.

The Queen's sister was a lesser copy of the original. I was to learn, later, that Ariana was two years older. But all of the royal family's advisors were agreed on one thing: that Matila was the best candidate for the throne.

- "Her Highness, Maia Simonia." announced Kanitz.

I repeated my bow, and looked up into the big brown eyes of my former aide - Themis.

***

- "You did well." said Kanitz. "If I hadn't known, I would never have believed that you'd met Princess Maia Simonia before."

- "Met her?" I sputtered. We'd shared a tent for months. We'd ... made love, a dozen times. I'd fallen in love with Themis - Maia Simonia - and I knew that she had feelings for me, too.

"What were you thinking? How could you send a Princess on campaign, as my aide?"

Kanitz bristled at my tone.

- "Calm yourself!" she snapped. I heard it: the authority in her voice. Kanitz liked to show the velvet glove, but now she let me see the steel beneath.

"You may make suggestions, Colonel. I find many of your ideas interesting, and refreshing. But you should not take that tone with me. You should not criticize what you clearly do not understand. Do you know why?"

I believed that I did. Kanitz was my patron. Yes, my own actions had contributed to my rapid rise. But without her, I'd still be a penniless refugee. I had no right to take that tone with her.

- "I don't mean to be ungrateful, Countess."

- No, Cook. That's not what I mean. I speak for the Queen. When you question me, you are implicitly criticizing Maia Matila."

- "I apologize. I had no intention of ... doing that."

Kanitz walked across to the sideboard. Once again, I marveled at the ability of Westrons to move so precisely. She poured two small glasses of ruby coloured liquid.

She came to stand before me, and held out one glass. I took it.

She raised her glass. "The Queen." she said.

- "The Queen." I repeated. As Kanitz drained her glass, I followed suit.

- "Mother of mercy!" I said, once I could speak again. "What is that?"

- "Sochani." said Kanitz. She was smiling, now. "I grow it on my estate."

- "We should ... load it in our cannons, to fire at the Crolians."

Kanitz laughed aloud. "You see, Cook? Interesting and refreshing ideas."

"Now: would you like to rephrase your earlier question?"

Kanitz was a wonder. She'd taught me a lesson, driven it home, and then broken down any lingering awkwardness between us. All that in the space of a few minutes.

"I believe you asked why we sent Princess Maia Simonia to accompany you to Tonol."

- "Yes."

- "Because she asked me to."

- "She -?"

- "The Queen wanted someone she could trust at the front, to observe and report on morale, conditions among the soldiers, and leadership. Maia Matila was not Queen yet, if you recall."

"There were a limited number of people we could send. I suggested that you could be relied upon, but Her Majesty wanted someone she trusted. She didn't know you, Cook."

- "I understand."

- "Maia Simonia - Themis - volunteered to go. As aide to an observer - a male, Pylosian observer - she could go largely unnoticed."

I nodded. That was precisely what had happened. Themis could go anywhere, secure in the knowledge that I would draw all of the attention, with my red sash and tight breeches.

"We never expected her to be exposed to any danger. You had no troops under your command. You weren't expected to go into combat."

- "But when Storana was killed," I said, "Themis didn't hesitate."

- "She's a Westron Princess." said Kanitz, as if that explained everything.

It did.

- "It was her idea?"

- "She wanted to have one last adventure, Cook. She will probably have to marry soon, to help the Queen form a network of alliances."

I felt that, like a punch in the chest - the fact that I'd been expecting it didn't soften the blow very much.

"She'd been in hemmer a few months earlier." said Kanitz. "So we didn't anticipate any difficulties on that front, either."

The expression on the Countess' face was unusual. I could only describe it as ... commiseration.

- "She told you."

- Yes. It was decidedly odd, for her to go into hemmer again, so soon. She'd been perfectly regular before that. So ... how was she, Cook? Satisfactory?"

I nearly choked. But Kanitz was serious. She was awaiting an answer.

- "She was amazing." I whispered.

- "I can imagine. She described you as 'spectacular'."

- "Can I ...? May I ... speak to her?"

- "No." said Kanitz. "You will come to realize that further contact between you and ... Themis ... would be unwise. You didn't give yourself away today, but the only people who would have seen it were the Queen and me - and we both already knew."

- "The Queen knows?"

- "They are very close."

- "What about Princess ... Maia Ariana?"

- "She can't see past the end of her own nose. You see, Cook? I share secrets with you. Trust me, when I tell you things - and don't push when I don't."

Kanitz' curly hair was sticking out in every direction. I couldn't tell if she was a friend, a patron ... or the Medusa.

***

As I left the Palace, I cradled the Queen's gift in my hand. It was a small ring, with a precious stone, the colour of an emerald.

*****

12