Westrons Pt. 21

Story Info
Colonels, and the Change.
5.9k words
4.86
24.9k
38

Part 22 of the 33 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,323 Followers

Not four. Five.

Five Westron regiments joined our enormous camp. Tallia had her hands full providing for all these soldiers. Meat for the Westrons was difficult enough, but she also had to provide for the omnivorous Penchens.

Fortunately, she had experience with her father - and with me.

Langoret did yeoman’s work as well, getting the new troopers settled, and beginning their basic introduction to our tactics, while I met with their commanding officers.

In the months to come, I formed distinct impressions of these five new females, on whom I would come to rely in battle.

***

Colonel Neslann had a reputation as an excellent tactician. She immediately understood what I was trying to achieve, and embraced it wholeheartedly.

She was brave - fearless, really - I didn’t understand how she could stride about, ignoring the live fire going on around her.

The soldiers loved her - her own regiment, and the others. Other officers admired her. But she had a prickly sense of honour, and immediately conceived a dislike for Avette and Votuda.

***

Colonel Yna was aggressive, and daring. There were stories of her bravery, as a junior officer. They all seemed to involve her leading from the front.

I’d met many officers who said “Go on.”

Yna was one of those who said “Come on.”

She had zero sense of humour. Yna had lost family members to the Crolians. She had scores to settle. Nothing could be allowed to interfere with that.

***

Colonel Semmana was ambitious. She wasn’t particularly well-connected, but she wanted fame, wealth, a title ... She’d seen Langoret, Avette, Tudino and I achieve these things, and she wanted in to our privileged little club.

Semmana had talent, and showed initiative.

Despite her ambition, she showed more skill in dogged defence. On the attack, she was a little bit slow.

***

Colonel Frad was curious about me. And Langoret and Tudino, too.

She was quiet, and capable. Frad went about her business with no fuss. But she didn’t show much independence or initiative.

Frad had been at Tonol, under General Brune’s command. When Storana (in command of the Anelis) and Langoret moved ... she didn’t. She knew by now that she’d missed an opportunity.

***

Colonel Cyrte was in General Vis’ army, before Limset.

She was on the extreme left wing, and her regiment didn’t get into either of the two battles.

“I always regretted that.” she told me. “Had I been on the right, or closer to the center, my career might have turned out very differently.”

Cyrte wasn’t well-connected. She had to hope that she could show some skill, and have some success on the battlefield.

***

The Penchens did their share of marching. I wasn’t trying to wear out their shoes. Really, what I wanted was to convince their officers to travel lighter - to leave behind some of the ox-carts carrying tents, sappers’ tools, extra food and ammunition, and so on.

But there were two Penchens who did have to keep pace with me. Although Isaal and Senau did their best, they could barely keep up with Tallia. We literally ran them right out of their shoes. Their feet were in pretty bad shape.

While I was in Cercen, I got them some soft slippers, that looked like moccasins. They were made of leather, but very flexible. I bought them two pairs each - and ordered more.

- “Thank you, General.” said Senau.

- “That was very good of you, General - to think of us.” said Isaal. “And our feet.”

I was coming to know the two liaisons a little better. Senau, the tall, thin one, was quieter. He/she was darker, both in colouring and in mood. Senau’s ‘resting face’ seemed to be ‘brooding’.

In the Command tent, he/she gravitated to Madze and Ishana - perhaps because neither of them ever tried to begin a conversation. Tallia tried to draw Senau out - with limited success.

Isaal was more gregarious, and much friendlier. He/she was comfortable conversing with Tallia, Nasta and Koroba - so comfortable, in fact, that Koroba started including Isaal as one of the targets for her practical jokes.

The one (and only) time Koroba played a prank on Senau, he/she looked so offended that it spoiled the mood for the rest of the day.

Isaal, by contrast, laughed harder than anyone else when she was pranked - and then thanked Koroba for including her in the joke.

I often saw Isaal staring off into the distance, as if lost in thought. Sometimes, though, I would find Isaal studying me - that’s the only way to describe it.

***

The new Colonels all worked hard. I was very pleased to see it. But there were personality issues from the very outset.

I quite liked Neslann. Everyone seemed to like her, as well. But she didn’t get along with Avette or Votuda. Or Semmana.

Yna was difficult to get along with, because she lacked any kind of sense of humour. She liked Tudino, and respected Langoret - but that was about it.

Semmana gravitated to Avette. Frad got along with Faregil and Cyrte.

Nobody liked Votuda, except possibly Tudino.

I couldn’t keep track of all the permutations. Tallia could, though, and she kept me well informed.

It had nothing to do with their gender. I’d written a university paper on Napoleon’s Marshals:

- Davout got along with Oudinot. He hated Bernadotte. Nobody else liked Davout.

- Lannes, Augereau and Ney hated Murat (Lannes also hated Bessieres, who returned it in kind)

- MacDonald and St-Cyr hated each other

- Ney and Soult hated each other

- Soult and Massena hated each other; ditto Massena and Bessieres, Augereau and Murat

- there were friendships: Murat and Bessieres, Lannes and Augereau ... but Napoleon’s Marshals were no band of brothers - that was for sure.

By that standard, my Colonels got along reasonably well.

***

Understanding Penchen was useful. I didn’t learn any great state secrets, but I did find out that one of General Leydz’ Colonels was very skeptical of my training methods. Two were more positive, and one was undecided.

Colonel Skeptical thought that I was overrated. General Leydz disagreed.

- “You need to pay closer attention. If Cook was a Penchen, she would be a General long before you.” Yeah - he referred to me as ‘she’.

I also overheard a number of conversations between the two liaison officers. Senau was intelligent, but his negativity wore on me. I gained new appreciation for Isaal, though.

Until the day when Tallia had to deal directly with General Leydz, to ensure that their supply requirements were met. She took Captain Senau along to translate.

That left me watching Semmana’s regiment at skirmishing drill, with Captain Isaal a few paces behind. Koroba and Madze were there as well.

- “Where did you learn to speak Penchen, General?” asked Isaal.

I almost responded immediately. It didn’t occur to me until the last second that Isaal had asked the question in the Penchen language. My mouth was already open to answer.

- “P-pardon? Were you speaking to me?” I said, in Westron. That was a probably a mistake: I should have just shut my mouth, and kept it shut.

Talley thought that I was a proficient liar; Kanitz knew damn well that I wasn’t. Isaal didn’t seem to believe me either.

- “You try not to look at us directly when we are speaking.” said Isaal, in Penchen. “But you make a very obvious effort to look at something else.”

Isaal was too smart - too observant. He/she had caught me.

Actually, the more I thought about it, Isaal was more male than female. He, then. It seemed to fit. And that made me feel even worse.

Other than Tomos, Langoret’s husband-to-be, I couldn’t really call any Westron male a friend. And though he was a decent fellow, Tomos knew nothing of the army or the war, except that we needed a lot of oxen.

My Colonels could share my enthusiasm for things military, but they were Westron females - so, doubly alien to me, in some ways.

I’d had the feeling for a while now that Isaal could develop into a friend. He was easy-going and intelligent, and had a good sense of humour. That’s why it felt bad to lie to him.

I hesitated, for far too long - which was probably just as bad as an admission of guilt.

- “Do you speak Penchen, too? Or is it just that you understand us?”

- “I understand. And ... I can speak, a little.”

- “That’s very impressive. How did you learn? Who taught you?” asked Isaal.

I couldn’t tell him the truth. Sleepread - aboard a spaceship? Kanitz suspected something, but I doubt that even she could have handled the truth. So I changed the subject.

- “I’m sorry, Isaal. I didn’t mean to ... spy on you. I just didn’t know how to explain that I understand your language. And can speak it, a bit.”

Isaal did that head tilt again - it was almost his trademark.

- “A bit? You speak very well, for a foreigner. But you needn’t worry, General. Senau doesn’t suspect that you understand us.”

- “You didn’t tell ...?”

- “No. Like many Penchens, Senau doesn’t trust Westrons or Crolians. I wouldn’t want to confirm Senau’s prejudices.”

- “You don’t ... share them?”

- “Not to the same degree.” said Isaal. “And I see that you are genuinely trying to help us prepare for the coming war. You are sharing valuable knowledge.”

- “Not all Westrons think that I should.” I said.

- “Because we may be on opposite sides in a future war?”

- “I hope that never happens.”

- “So do I, General. I would never want to fight against you. I suspect that we would come out second best.” said Isaal.

Koroba and Madze were standing only ten feet away. Big Madze didn’t think that anything unusual was going on, but Koroba was looking at me oddly.

- “I would be happy to continue this conversation another time, General.” said Isaal. He moved off, to take a closer look at Semmana’s companies in open order drill.

Koroba stepped up beside me.

- “Were you speaking their language?” she whispered. “Penchen?

- “Isaal figured out that I understood them.” I whispered back.

- “He’s too smart, that one.” said Koroba. So I wasn’t the only one that saw Isaal as more male than female.

Does Kanitz know that you speak Penchen?”

- “I ... think so.” I said.

- “Fuckety fuck.” whispered Koroba. She went back to stand next to Madze.

***

Weeks passed, but I never noticed any change in the behaviour of General Leydz, or any of the Penchen Colonels. Captain Senau was no different.

Isaal hadn’t told anyone that I spoke Penchen.

We trained hard for months, and I learned about the new Colonels and their troops. They didn’t all get along perfectly, but I was pleased with how quickly they learned.

Tudino went into hemmer.

- “It has to be you - or no one.” she said.

- “Go.” said Tallia.

- “Go.” said Langoret. “The army is not going to fall apart in a week. Go.”

- “You have to go.” said Koroba.

- “Please?“ said Tudino.

I went. And I immediately began to re-think my feelings about my comrades. I didn’t have many male friends, but Tudino was a wonder: an able commander, who understood and espoused my tactical systems, and a brave woman of unimpeachable integrity.

We had a bond of trust, as well, since we’d shared her first successful hemmer - and her second. The third was less spectacular. Comfortable, but still intense.

- “I love copulating with you.” she said.

- “I love everything about you.” I replied.

She punched me - hard. “That’s not fair! You know that I ... love you, too.”

We had a wonderful three days together. Not for the first time, I wondered how my life would be, if not for the Westron hemmer cycle.

If Tudino was human, or even a hybrid, capable of having sex at any time ... would I want to be with her on a permanent basis?

On the other hand, if it wasn’t for her traumatic experiences with her hemmer, I would probably never have had the opportunity to become intimate with her at all.

***

The news from the capital was not good. The Queen had gone into hemmer - and failed to conceive a child.

Some blamed her; some were disappointed with the Royal Consort. Two hemmers: one male child. That was not what was expected.

Princess Maia Simonia also had her hemmer, and delivered a little boy. Better - but not good enough.

***

Avette went into hemmer. She asked me to join her. I couldn’t very well refuse, after going away with Tudino.

- “You have to.” said Tallia.

- “I don’t really want to.” Tallia was virtually the only person I could say that to. But it was the truth.

Avette had saved us, at Limset. We had a child together. And her first hemmer with me had been ... amazing.

Since then, though, I’d watched her in training. Her judgment was sometimes suspect. She also squabbled with some of the other Colonels. Avette got along with Semmana, but struck sparks with Neslann, and of course, disliked Votuda intensely.

But I couldn’t turn her down. Hell hath no fury like a Westron scorned, or something like that. I accepted her invitation.

We had two days of technically excellent sex.

It was mildly disappointing. Avette had a classically beautiful face, and a fantastic body. Her hemmer created lubrication for both of us, and we were able to couple for almost two days straight, in a variety of comfortable positions.

But that’s all it was. She couldn’t hold a candle to Tudino, or Tallia.

***

Neslann might have been dropping hints about her own hemmer. I wasn’t sure. But I didn’t respond. She took a short leave to spend her hemmer by herself.

What possessed me to do that? She was an attractive female, fine-featured, with dark hair and lovely grey-green eyes. I just didn’t know her very well yet.

When did that ever stop me, I hear you ask?

If I went with Neslann, how could I say no to any of the other Colonels? (I doubted that Yna or Votuda would be interested - but you never knew).

For one thing, I was about to turn 30. Hardly an old man, but I had three hybrid lovers, and two more whose hemmers I wouldn’t miss for the world (Tudino and Koroba). I also had more than enough children already.

And one day, I hoped, Themis might be free to be with me again.

Six lovers was plenty. I was past that stage of my life when having sex with as many women as possible was appealing. There was no further need to prove my virility.

So I concentrated on military matters.

To speed up the training, I wanted to pair the first regiments with the new units. It was also a case of matching Colonels who could work together. I had hopes that these brigaded pairs could fight together in battle.

It was a bit like harnessing two oxen to a cart: they had to pull as a team.

Yna was aggressive, and lacked a sense of humour. But even she respected Langoret, and would probably take direction from my partner.

Frad got along with Faregil, and her troopers knew the veteran Anelis from their time together at the siege of Tonol. Frad was the least prickly, least difficult of the new Colonels. She wouldn’t be too proud to learn from Faregil.

Neslann was a strong personality. She didn’t like Avette, Votuda, or Semmana - so I put her with Tudino. They were both dynamic individuals, but Neslann could hardly complain about being paired with the hero of Tonol.

Avette and Semmana. Not an ideal match, because Semmana wouldn’t learn much from Avette. But they got along. Any other pairing with Avette might result in a duel. I would probably have to keep their two regiments close to me.

That left Cyrte with Votuda. Well, somebody had to work with Votuda. Cyrte was ambitious, and I hoped that she would be intelligent enough to recognize her new partner’s skill and tactical acumen.

The pairings might not be perfect. But if the commanders weren’t pulling in opposite directions, then we might be able to achieve great things.

Of course, I consulted Langoret and Tallia before making my final decision. Langoret frowned a bit. She couldn’t come up with anything better, though.

I spoke to each Colonel individually, letting them know who they’d be working with, and what I expected of them.

Then I met with the new brigade partners, and tried to give them some idea of how they might be employed, on campaign, and in battle.

***

I badgered Kanitz endlessly. More money, more 3-pounders, more rifles, more powder, more money ...

When she called me to the capital, I thought I was about to get an earful. Instead, I got a surprise. Several surprises.

- “Tell me about your army.” said the Chancellor.

I gave her a thorough progress report. I told her about my brigade pairings, and about General Leydz and the Penchens. I also reminded her about the shortage of rifles, and of 3-pounder cannons.

- “I know that you want more 3-pounders. I know that you want more rifles. If I could conjure them out of thin air, I would. Since I can’t - you’ll have to make do with what you have.”

“The question I need answered is this: can you win a battle with what you have now? Against an equal or larger Crolian force?”

I raised both eyebrows. “How much larger?”

Kanitz sighed. “We have perhaps 40,000 troops available now - including the Penchens. Once war begins, we can probably send another 15-20,000 to the front.”

“The Crolians have 80,000 troops under arms. I have no idea how many more they can raise, or what they have in reserve.”

“But they will strike in the spring - without a declaration of war. They’re hoping to catch us unprepared.”

My jaw dropped the moment I heard that figure: 80,000.

- “That’s not possible.” Then another thought struck me. “You know this? For certain?”

Kanitz looked tired - worn down. But she was able to muster a grin.

- “Your friend Lebuc came through for us.” she said.

The Woles had transported vast quantities of materiel for the Crolians: powder and shot, muskets and bayonets. And pikes.

- “Pikes?”

Kanitz smiled. “Their Southern army, opposite Tonol, will be largely a feint. Six to ten thousand line infantry, backed by an equal number of troops armed with pikes.”

“They intend to pin down one of our armies, while attacking on two other fronts.”

This information was golden. We could set up 2 decent armies, in the North and the Centre, knowing that the Crolian Southern army wasn’t a real threat.

I was Commander-in-Chief in the north, with an army that was rapidly becoming the best fighting force on the continent. I was sure of that, and I told Kanitz so.

- “But who’ll be commanding the other two armies?” I asked.

- “The southern army? General Brune.”

I shook my head. Brune couldn’t organize an orgy in a brothel. But I understood enough of Westron politics - and Kanitz’ facial expressions - to know that there wasn’t much she could do about it.

The Queen’s failure to produce an heir, in two successive hemmers, wasn’t helping. Deals had to be made, patronage appointments dispensed, to keep supporters loyal.

“The central army will be under General Keinarsh.”

I had no idea who that was. But I did have one pressing question.

- “Where’s Berandot?”

- “Centre.” said Kanitz.

- “Fair enough. What do you want me to do, Wenzla? What do you need?”

She sighed again. “We need you to attack, Cook. I genuinely don’t know how Keinarsh will fare. And ... you know Brune. You’re our best hope.”

Kanitz did look tired. I convinced her to have a light supper with me, and then to go to bed early.

- “Can you stay?” she asked.

- “Of course. I was hoping that you’d ask.”

In the end, though, Wenzla needed to be held more than she needed (or wanted) sex. I cradled her in my arms, and let her sleep.

She made up for it in the morning, though.

***

The camp hadn’t fallen apart while I was gone. Langoret kept everyone to their training schedules, and Tallia got everything done that needed to be done.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,323 Followers
12