What Did I Do?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can you cook?" Nadine sheepishly asked.

"Uh, I can make chicken-fried steak," Jake responded with a smile.

"Perfect," Nadine instantly exclaimed, picking up on Jake's Southern accent for the first time. "I have not had a home-cooked meal since I can't remember when."

"Mashed potatoes and fruit salad?" Jake asked as he headed for the door.

"Yes, Jake, whatever you want, that sounds absolutely wonderful. The Safeway is about four blocks down the street," Nadine said as she pointed in the direction of the store.

"I know where it is -- I'll be back in thirty minutes," Jake said just as the apartment door closed behind him, and he dashed down the stairs two steps at a time.

Nadine did what she could to straighten up the apartment in Jake's absence. When she left the apartment four days ago, Nadine had no idea she'd be bringing company home, and certainly no one she was as interested in impressing as Jake. Though she only had the use of one hand and her hip hurt like crazy, she frantically cleaned up the kitchen, took out the cat box, made the bed, and made a quick pass through the bathroom to make sure nothing embarrassing was left lying around.

Jake returned from the store promptly as promised with an armload of groceries, a sack of cat food for Othello, and even a bottle of wine. And as Nadine relaxed on the couch, she gazed in amazement as Jake rolled up his sleeves, put on one of her old aprons, and prepared an absolutely perfect dinner. He set the table for two, found an old candle, and helped Nadine to the table.

They had totally forgotten that Nadine's left arm was in a cast until they were seated. But Jake immediately rose to the occasion. He swung his chair around next to hers so that he could cut her meat for her. It may have been the circumstances or her delight in Jake's company. But this simple home-cooked meal of Southern comfort food was the most exquisite meal Nadine had ever eaten.

After lingering several hours talking and laughing while relishing Jake's home cooking, red wine, and candlelight, Jake washed and put away all of the dishes. As the hour grew late, he finally turned to Nadine and said, "Okay -- I've really enjoyed myself, but I'd better be going now."

"Oh no -- can't you stay," Nadine pleaded.

Jake glanced at the open door to Nadine's bedroom. He focused for the first time on her bed and said, "Well, you don't have any place for me to sleep, and I have to work tomorrow."

"You have a place to sleep, Jake; you can sleep with me -- I don't want you to go -- I need you," she said with a nervous yet hopeful smile.

"What did I do to deserve you, Nadine?" Jake said as he took her hand.

Interlocking her fingers with his, she breathlessly responded, "I have no idea, Jake; I'm just so glad you found me...."

* * * * *

"Nadine -- Nadine, wake up! Your break is over -- there are fourteen calls in the queue. Your break is over. Now get back to work," Mike's raspy voice screeched in Nadine's ear.

12