All Comments on 'What I Always Wanted'

by destinie21

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
cloudycloudyalmost 20 years ago
loved it!

Des, your imagery is stunning! My daughter has told me I "paint word pictures," but I think you're the master at that. Every scene was set perfectly. I particularly liked the bit about air being like a blanket - it's like that here in the summer. I also loved the aunt carrying music with her. Great story!

angela146angela146almost 20 years ago
Wonderful!

I loved the feeling of being pressed against the wall by an older woman. There's an incredible sense of matriarchal authority, a comfort in knowing that she's the one making the decisions.

To me, her actions said, "Don't you be lookin' away from me, child, I *know* what you're thinkin'. If you're gonna be havin' thoughts like that about a woman, you'd *best* be lookin' her in the eye and admitin' it!"

raven5raven5almost 20 years ago
Goddamn!!

I loved this! It is brilliant.

Reminded me so much of Harper Lee and Tennesee Williams, and yes I do know it's not set in the past. But I got that same wonderful sense of time and place from reading this work.

Wonderful atmospheric writing, and proper writing too, not just a torrid recounting of events but scene setting, characterisation and taste of humour.

Loved it loved it loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
Thanks

Thank you so much for sharing this story, this is my first time on this site and I am "wowwed". Great story line and charaters. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous